Skip to content

PFF Summer 2020 - All The Links

The Browns Board
27 8 797
  • I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @unsympathetic said:

    All LB groups

    All DL groups

    Dear word, Browns at 31st at LB. I know some young guys could step up, but I'd say LB is clearly our weakest unit on the team. Putting Pgh at 11 is a joke. ATL and LV rank higher? OK, there. 

  • TypicalBrowns50T TypicalBrowns50 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 
     

    the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

  • Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 
     

    the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 
     

    the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

    75% of the starting LBs for Pitt are legit probowl contenders: Watt, Bush and Dupree. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Browns  LBs ranked  31st.....mainly because we are relying on all young, unproven players.   Wilson, Takitaki and Phillips.  I thought they were harsh on Wilson....8th worst in the NFL last year?    Did he really perform that badly?   I didn't see it as all that bad.  But I can't really object to the Browns  #31 rating...

    And the other thing....a couple of you state how the Steelers LB corps is nowhere near the #11 rank.    I agree.....IF they are not including TJ Watt.

    I have been of the opinion that TJ Watt  should be a part of their LB corps, giving that group a  higher ranking.   It is the DL.....placed at #1  that I scratch my head at.    They seem to be saying that the Steelers start   3 DLs:    Watt, Dupree, Heyward.  

    I would put Watt in at OLB, where in doing so their DL would drop down around or below the Browns DL ranking at #12......but elevate the LB rating. 

    So...which is it?

  • @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 
     

    the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

    75% of the starting LBs for Pitt are legit probowl contenders: Watt, Bush and Dupree. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @icecube said:

    75% of the starting LBs for Pitt are legit probowl contenders: Watt, Bush and Dupree. 

    But they do not have  Watt listed as LB....nor Dupree. They are listed as DLs. 

    I mean I guess...does it sort of matter?    That is why you have this "Edge"   position designation. 

    Maybe we should begin looking at  football defensive positioning differently.   Instead of   DL and LB......maybe we should have people listed as "Edge"  or "Interior".    What have been DEs and OLBs are Edge....as they seem so very interchangeable.  And DTs and  MLBs as Interior. 

  • TypicalBrowns50T TypicalBrowns50 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Yea I thought watt was technically DL? If they include watt then it is more realistic to be at 11 for them

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Here is the Steelers front 7 depth chart....from the Steelers.com website:

    Position First Second Third Fourth Fifth
    DT Cameron Heyward Isaiah Buggs      
    NT   Dan McCullers      
    DE Tyson Alualu        
    LOLB T.J. Watt        
    LILB   Devin Bush      
    RILB Vince Williams   Robert Spillane    
    ROLB Bud Dupree  Olasunkanmi Adeniyi Tuzar Skipper
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Here it is from Ourlads:

    DT 97 HEYWARD, CAMERON 11/1 96 Buggs, Isaiah 19/6 79 Walker, Cavon SF20 65 Coatney, Josiah CF20    
    NT 95 Wormley, Chris T/Bal 93 McCullers, Daniel 14/6 99 Mondeaux, Henry SF19        
    DE 91 Tuitt, Stephon 14/2 94 ALUALU, TYSON U/Jax 73 Davis, Carlos 20/7 67 Taylor Jr., Calvin CF20    
    LOLB 90 Watt, TJ 17/1 56 Highsmith, Alex 20/3 40 Hendrix, Dewayne SF20 49 Lockhart, James CF20    
    LILB 55 Bush Jr., Devin 19/1 46 Kuntz, Christian SF19 45 Houston Jr., John CF20        
    RILB 98 WILLIAMS, VINCE 13/6 54 Gilbert III, Ulysees 19/6 41 Spillane, Robert SF19 42 Lewis, Leo CF20    
    ROLB 48 Dupree, Bud 15/1 92

    Adeniyi, Olasunkanmi CF18

    Both of these sites above have Dupree and  Watt listed as OLBs.  PFF has them both on the DL.   These have the Steelers with just one DE,  one NT and one DT.  (they list Heyward as a DT, not a DE???)

    51 Skipper, Tuzar P/NYG
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I note this:     this PFF had the  Ravens DL rated as the worst in the AFCN,.....where the Madden ratings had their DL having like two of the best 3 DL in the division....with Campbell and Williams.

    So...who is more trustworthy? 

  • @icecube said:

    75% of the starting LBs for Pitt are legit probowl contenders: Watt, Bush and Dupree. 

    But they do not have  Watt listed as LB....nor Dupree. They are listed as DLs. 

    I mean I guess...does it sort of matter?    That is why you have this "Edge"   position designation. 

    Maybe we should begin looking at  football defensive positioning differently.   Instead of   DL and LB......maybe we should have people listed as "Edge"  or "Interior".    What have been DEs and OLBs are Edge....as they seem so very interchangeable.  And DTs and  MLBs as Interior. 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @the-gipper said:

    But they do not have  Watt listed as LB....nor Dupree. They are listed as DLs. 

    I mean I guess...does it sort of matter?    That is why you have this "Edge"   position designation. 

    Maybe we should begin looking at  football defensive positioning differently.   Instead of   DL and LB......maybe we should have people listed as "Edge"  or "Interior".    What have been DEs and OLBs are Edge....as they seem so very interchangeable.  And DTs and  MLBs as Interior. 

    They've done something weird this year. Watt and Dupree were clearly OLBs, listed as such when drafted and have always been listed as such on rosters. They are the very definition of 3-4 OLBs. But now some 3-4 DEs are being listed as DTs. Huh? What in the F changed? 

    Pitt has 4 starting LBs: Watt, Bush, Williams and Dupree. 

    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

  • @the-gipper said:

    But they do not have  Watt listed as LB....nor Dupree. They are listed as DLs. 

    I mean I guess...does it sort of matter?    That is why you have this "Edge"   position designation. 

    Maybe we should begin looking at  football defensive positioning differently.   Instead of   DL and LB......maybe we should have people listed as "Edge"  or "Interior".    What have been DEs and OLBs are Edge....as they seem so very interchangeable.  And DTs and  MLBs as Interior. 

    They've done something weird this year. Watt and Dupree were clearly OLBs, listed as such when drafted and have always been listed as such on rosters. They are the very definition of 3-4 OLBs. But now some 3-4 DEs are being listed as DTs. Huh? What in the F changed? 

    Pitt has 4 starting LBs: Watt, Bush, Williams and Dupree. 

    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @icecube said:

    They've done something weird this year. Watt and Dupree were clearly OLBs, listed as such when drafted and have always been listed as such on rosters. They are the very definition of 3-4 OLBs. But now some 3-4 DEs are being listed as DTs. Huh? What in the F changed? 

    Pitt has 4 starting LBs: Watt, Bush, Williams and Dupree. 

    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

    Yea, I just posted that.   So why then does PFF list Watt and Dupree as DL.

    And why is Heyward listed as playing on the exterior, but then designated a DT?  Is he like  Reggie White/JJ Watt....who plays all over the defensive front? 

  • @icecube said:

    They've done something weird this year. Watt and Dupree were clearly OLBs, listed as such when drafted and have always been listed as such on rosters. They are the very definition of 3-4 OLBs. But now some 3-4 DEs are being listed as DTs. Huh? What in the F changed? 

    Pitt has 4 starting LBs: Watt, Bush, Williams and Dupree. 

    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT

    Yea, I just posted that.   So why then does PFF list Watt and Dupree as DL.

    And why is Heyward listed as playing on the exterior, but then designated a DT?  Is he like  Reggie White/JJ Watt....who plays all over the defensive front? 

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, I just posted that.   So why then does PFF list Watt and Dupree as DL.

    And why is Heyward listed as playing on the exterior, but then designated a DT?  Is he like  Reggie White/JJ Watt....who plays all over the defensive front? 

    Gip, I honestly don't know why the inconsistencies. I've asked around and no one has an answer. Obviously, a 3-4 system uses 3 down lineman, and 4 LBs, where oftentimes the OLBs rush the QB, but clearly not all the time. The DEs are clearly at the end of the DL, so why is Heyward now considered a DT? Until someone can offer a legit explanation, the Steelers play 4 LBs and have 3 DLmen and Heyward is a 3-4 DE. 

    Now, the Browns clearly play a 4-3, with 4 DL and 3 LBs. There is no confusion there. 

    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #14

    They seem to imply that the addition of BJ Goodson adds nothing at all to the quality of our LB corps.   He IS listed as backup  MLB.  Is he really Just a guy as they seem to infer? 

  • Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 
     

    the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 
     

    the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

    I am not encouraged, but it depends on the Woods scheme.  If it is schemed well, I think we can do OK.  Word is we go with 2 backers more often than not and stack another safety in the box.  I also think Billings is going  be big on the DL.  He required a few bodies on him, as does Richardson in the run game.  That will help keep the backers clean.

  • They seem to imply that the addition of BJ Goodson adds nothing at all to the quality of our LB corps.   He IS listed as backup  MLB.  Is he really Just a guy as they seem to infer? 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    They seem to imply that the addition of BJ Goodson adds nothing at all to the quality of our LB corps.   He IS listed as backup  MLB.  Is he really Just a guy as they seem to infer? 

    Honestly, having watched the Giants almost as much as the Browns- He's pretty unremarkable- unless he went to Green Bay and the light suddenly went on.  

  • @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Steelers do NOT have the 11th best LB core. 
     

    the browns DO have one of the worst though. Mack Wilson sucked last year, I’m extremely worried about the defense 

    I am not encouraged, but it depends on the Woods scheme.  If it is schemed well, I think we can do OK.  Word is we go with 2 backers more often than not and stack another safety in the box.  I also think Billings is going  be big on the DL.  He required a few bodies on him, as does Richardson in the run game.  That will help keep the backers clean.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @ballpeen said:

    I am not encouraged, but it depends on the Woods scheme.  If it is schemed well, I think we can do OK.  Word is we go with 2 backers more often than not and stack another safety in the box.  I also think Billings is going  be big on the DL.  He required a few bodies on him, as does Richardson in the run game.  That will help keep the backers clean.

    The backers being clean may not become the issue.     Just watch the deficiencies in the previous Cincy defenses.   Respectable dline and secondary play, horrendous linebacking unit.    

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    somewhat early for in-depth analysis...Berry & our pencil neck geek squad, see's teams with 12 Linebacker's on their 90 mans..Those that will keep maybe 8 Lb'ers total?.. am not sweating our core of linebackers!! YET ?... but I'd look at trading NoJoke for 2 on the Jets roster todaY! they both played well while CJ Mosley was out

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Do we have this same info from PFF  on like the Defensive Backfield?     WR/TE corps?   OL?    RBs   QBs?   Or, is that to come? 

    Don't know if you have to be a PFF subscriber to get this.  I am not. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #20

    I'll keep the links updated in the OP and change the thread topic as new ones are posted. I noticed this on Monday, although the team analyses may have started before then.  Looks like these 3 are the ones they've done so far and [I'm guessing] they'll keep going until all are finished.

    I'm not a PFF subscriber.. is anyone on here?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #21

    OL Analysis

    Browns  #6....perhaps higher than I expected  given we will have a rookie LT  and a question at RG.

    Ravens #5?.....overrated in my mind....in that they lost their best OL with the retirement of Yanda

    Steelers #9....they do have some good ones, but also some question marks. 

    Bengals #31....if accurate....there will be a major reason Burrow does not do so well as a rookie.