Skip to content

The Expandables

The Browns Board
45 8 1.0k
  • Just announced today that Seattle NHL team will be known as The Kraken 

    @the-gipper said:

    Just announced today that Seattle NHL team will be known as The Kraken 

    Ok.. this is cool & welcome back major sports!! 

  • Still.....kind of a stupid name. Orcas or Sockeye Salmon would have been better   

  • Just announced today that Seattle NHL team will be known as The Kraken 

    @the-gipper said:

    Just announced today that Seattle NHL team will be known as The Kraken 

    So will their arena be known as the "Krak House"?

    Making their fans "Krak heads"? 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    So you want to make the Indians "territory" even smaller by adding a team in Columbus? They already have a relatively small area to draw from. 

    Yes. It would be easier for fans of any of those teams to travel to an out of town game on a weekend. Not easy to drive to Minneapolis or Kansas City

    @browns149 said:

    Yes. It would be easier for fans of any of those teams to travel to an out of town game on a weekend. Not easy to drive to Minneapolis or Kansas City

    And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.

    I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though. 

  • @browns149 said:

    Yes. It would be easier for fans of any of those teams to travel to an out of town game on a weekend. Not easy to drive to Minneapolis or Kansas City

    And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.

    I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.

    I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though. 

    Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati 

  • Now may be a precarious time to pursue an expansion of a major professional sports franchise into your city with the team, stadium and everything else that goes along with a mega million or billion dollar investment.

    But then again with the pandemic still hot is it a good opportunity for some bold investors to make a move like that.

    Taxpayer funding might be scarce or virtually not available so it might have to be done with private investments and maybe tax incentives.

    I guess this is what separates the big money risk takers from the rest of us.  

    @mjp28 said:

    Now may be a precarious time to pursue an expansion of a major professional sports franchise into your city with the team, stadium and everything else that goes along with a mega million or billion dollar investment.

    But then again with the pandemic still hot is it a good opportunity for some bold investors to make a move like that.

    Taxpayer funding might be scarce or virtually not available so it might have to be done with private investments and maybe tax incentives.

    I guess this is what separates the big money risk takers from the rest of us.  

    Bro, none of the old rules apply. All sports will nose dive in revenues. How can they not?

  • @browns149 said:

    Yes. It would be easier for fans of any of those teams to travel to an out of town game on a weekend. Not easy to drive to Minneapolis or Kansas City

    And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.

    I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.

    I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though. 

    Another factor, many of those cities host a AAA team.  Then a team would have to find another location for its AAA team.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.

    I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though. 

    Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati 

    @browns149 said:

    Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati 

    It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.

    I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though. 

    Another factor, many of those cities host a AAA team.  Then a team would have to find another location for its AAA team.

    @ballpeen said:

    Another factor, many of those cities host a AAA team.  Then a team would have to find another location for its AAA team.

    I'm on record that I think the Dolans eventually sell the Indians, and the new owners will move the team. 

    So Portland, Columbus, Montreal, etc might get the Indians instead of having to start up an expansion team. 

  • @browns149 said:

    Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati 

    It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

    @ballpeen said:

    It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

    Columbus has always been more of a Reds town, but used to skew towards the Browns in football. With the Browns being so bad for so long, that's probably changed. I know there are a lot of Steelers fans in CBus now. 

  • @bob806 said:

    The Gunds screwed us forever with the NHL, that's why the NHL went with Columbus.

    I figured that the NHL didn’t stay in Cleveland because Cleveland can’t support both NBA and NHL. 
     

    NHL is a much better product IMO

    @browns149 said:

    I figured that the NHL didn’t stay in Cleveland because Cleveland can’t support both NBA and NHL. 
     

    NHL is a much better product IMO

    There really was no trouble there.

    Brief history lesson....Gunds move the California Golden Seals from SF to Cle. Cle supports the team (Barons). Gunds work out a backdoor deal with the Minnesota North Stars, merge operations and leave Cle. Eventually that team moves to Dallas. 

    Gunds never truly gave Cle a great shot at the NHL. We would have supported it, the AHL Barons and WHA Crusaders drew fans just fine.

  • I don't think so.  Plus, Portland doesn't deserve shit.  

  • @browns149 said:

    Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati 

    It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

    @ballpeen said:

    It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

    Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

    Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer. 

    It's more about traffic and highway patrol.  I drive up from Tennessee for Browns games.  From the stadium in Cincy up to say OSU stadium takes about a hour and a half.  Most of the drive is through rural Ohio.  You can hit the gas a bit.  The way up to Cleveland is populated.  Seems like Troopers are sitting about every 10 miles apart bodgering up traffic.  It takes nearly double the time.

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's a lot closer.  It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus.  Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.

    Columbus has always been more of a Reds town, but used to skew towards the Browns in football. With the Browns being so bad for so long, that's probably changed. I know there are a lot of Steelers fans in CBus now. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Columbus has always been more of a Reds town, but used to skew towards the Browns in football. With the Browns being so bad for so long, that's probably changed. I know there are a lot of Steelers fans in CBus now. 

    Columbus is a FRAK town...when it comes to football and baseball.   Whichever...Cleveland or Cinci...that is doing good in either sport is who they tend to go for. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    Another factor, many of those cities host a AAA team.  Then a team would have to find another location for its AAA team.

    I'm on record that I think the Dolans eventually sell the Indians, and the new owners will move the team. 

    So Portland, Columbus, Montreal, etc might get the Indians instead of having to start up an expansion team. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm on record that I think the Dolans eventually sell the Indians, and the new owners will move the team. 

    So Portland, Columbus, Montreal, etc might get the Indians instead of having to start up an expansion team. 

    No...just no. 

  • @browns149 said:

    I figured that the NHL didn’t stay in Cleveland because Cleveland can’t support both NBA and NHL. 
     

    NHL is a much better product IMO

    There really was no trouble there.

    Brief history lesson....Gunds move the California Golden Seals from SF to Cle. Cle supports the team (Barons). Gunds work out a backdoor deal with the Minnesota North Stars, merge operations and leave Cle. Eventually that team moves to Dallas. 

    Gunds never truly gave Cle a great shot at the NHL. We would have supported it, the AHL Barons and WHA Crusaders drew fans just fine.

    @bob806 said:

    There really was no trouble there.

    Brief history lesson....Gunds move the California Golden Seals from SF to Cle. Cle supports the team (Barons). Gunds work out a backdoor deal with the Minnesota North Stars, merge operations and leave Cle. Eventually that team moves to Dallas. 

    Gunds never truly gave Cle a great shot at the NHL. We would have supported it, the AHL Barons and WHA Crusaders drew fans just fine.

    This is correct.  The NHL Barons were only here like a year and a half.   And if you were around....be aware that there was almost NO promotion of their existence even.   I suspect attendance was a bit below league average....but hell, when no one knows you are there....who's gonna come? 

  • I don't think so.  Plus, Portland doesn't deserve shit.  

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't think so.  Plus, Portland doesn't deserve shit.  

    I don't know about that.   Portland is one of the faster growing regions in the country.  They support the Blazers pretty well.  And it is all about the Benjamins. 

    They will NOT get an NFL team because the Seattle owner....which is the Paul Allen Trust, directed by his sister, is also the Blazers owner, and they consider  Portland "Seahawk territory"...just like Jerry Jones considers  San Antonio and Austin to be Cowboy territory...and that is why that city could not get an NFL team. 

    But...baseball for either of them....if that league eventually decides to expand....more of a possibility.  Seattle Mariners do not, I believe have a stranglehold on the Portland market the way the Seahawks football team does. 

  • I would also like to see the Cavs traded for the Blue Jackets. To me NHL is a FAR FAR better product then the NBA

    @browns149 said:

    I would also like to see the Cavs traded for the Blue Jackets. To me NHL is a FAR FAR better product then the NBA

    What is stopping you from supporting the BJs....going to games in Columbus?  I see that you are in  New Haven WVa. And looking at map of that...you are like equidistant from  Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati.  You could pretty easily make it to Columbus games which is only about 100 miles for you.  You are closer than I am here in Wadsworth....which is about 112 miles from C-bus.  I suppose you moved there from NEO?

    I suppose if I were to be a fan of an NHL team it would be the CBJs.....but I really have not gotten into them.  

    I think you have to grow up with a team,  which is probably why I am a much bigger  Tribe/Browns fan than Cavs fan.....the Cavs were not around when I was growing up.  They were only formed when I was like a senior in HS.   I am still a fan of theirs, don't get me wrong...but the heart strings are still pulled far more by the teams you followed when really young. 

  • Perhaps I should do the same thing for  the MLS.  Here are the top largest markets which do not have nor are slated to have an MLS expansion team in the near future:

    1.  Tampa Bay    *but note what I say in the second post re the  Tampa/Orlando market areas

    2. Phoenix

    3. Detroit

    4. Cleveland

    5. Pittsburgh

    6. Raleigh/Durham

    7. San Diego

    8.  Hartford

    9. Milwaukee

    10.  Las Vegas

    11. Jacksonville.

    12. Virginia Beach