Skip to content

Keys to the Browns upcoming successful seasons - secret weapons

The Browns Board
75 19 1.9k 2
  • another secret weapon - Higgins. No, not kidding - a ton of attention will be paid to Landry and Beckham.....

    and HIggins CATCHES the ball when it is his turn. A lot of the problems last year have been fixed - by replacing the goofy head coach with the Real Deal HC.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @calfoxwc said:

    another secret weapon - Higgins. No, not kidding - a ton of attention will be paid to Landry and Beckham.....

    and HIggins CATCHES the ball when it is his turn. A lot of the problems last year have been fixed - by replacing the goofy head coach with the Real Deal HC.

    See the survey. I predicted that Higgins would lead the team in TD catches

  • another secret weapon - Higgins. No, not kidding - a ton of attention will be paid to Landry and Beckham.....

    and HIggins CATCHES the ball when it is his turn. A lot of the problems last year have been fixed - by replacing the goofy head coach with the Real Deal HC.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @calfoxwc said:

    another secret weapon - Higgins

    I'm quite curious too see what our new coach(s) make of him.  And Njoku.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    another secret weapon - might not see a lot of playing time...DREW STANTON.

    He's not on our roster.  We signed Case Keenum.  Hopefully Stanton made a lasting impression.  Wanna sign him as assistant QB quality coach?

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #19

    oops on Stanton, my bad.

    @orion said:

    He's not on our roster.  We signed Case Keenum.  Hopefully Stanton made a lasting impression.  Wanna sign him as assistant QB quality coach?

    I forgot, dammit. lol

    make that - Case Keenum is the secret weapon, for the same reasons - he was IN Washington - knows the offense, will help Baker immensely, and can step in and run the offense if Baker gets banged up or gets the flu or ...something.

  • Much ado about a punter.  But I WILL say this, after he kicks the ball, you've gotta BLOCK him.  He puts a new spin on the saying, "He's only got the punter to beat."

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @orion said:

    Much ado about a punter.  But I WILL say this, after he kicks the ball, you've gotta BLOCK him.  He puts a new spin on the saying, "He's only got the punter to beat."

    I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

  • @orion said:

    Much ado about a punter.  But I WILL say this, after he kicks the ball, you've gotta BLOCK him.  He puts a new spin on the saying, "He's only got the punter to beat."

    I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @icecube said:

    I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

    Occasionally, they do help.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #22

    How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

  • How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @unsympathetic said:

    How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

    Or Steve Cox, the punter who in 1984 kicked the longest field goal in Browns history - 60 yards. 

  • How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @unsympathetic said:

    How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

    I googled Tupa toupee and got this instead.

    https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/07/17/man-arrested-cocaine-toupee-drug-smuggler-spain-es-vpx.cnn

  • @unsympathetic said:

    How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

    I googled Tupa toupee and got this instead.

    https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2019/07/17/man-arrested-cocaine-toupee-drug-smuggler-spain-es-vpx.cnn

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #25
  • How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @unsympathetic said:

    How quickly you all forget the legend of Tom Tupa, who scored the first 2-point conversion in NFL history.. for Cleveland.  He was our punter and QB3.

    I always watched the career of Tom Tupa the Cleveland kid that played a long time just punting and as a backup QB and of course his 3 two point conversions while at Cleveland.

    He even made the pro bowl once as a punter and a former Ohio State Buckeye !  Oh yeah !

  • @calfoxwc said:

    another secret weapon - Higgins

    I'm quite curious too see what our new coach(s) make of him.  And Njoku.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #27

    @orion said:

    I'm quite curious too see what our new coach(s) make of him.  

    Am going to attach "the new guy" to the above post^^... Just image the story-line for a moment ?. We traded Austin Corbett to the Team that took a chance on this college walk-on like myself as a UDFA.. He had no Combine. Nor Pro day, due to a shoulder injury at the time of events. I still think he will out preform Austin Corbett as a Cleveland Brown? and Somehow, Cam Erving can still find work.. Callahan may use the Practice Squad root? But i don't care and I'm a big fan of the UnderDawgs!   

    https://testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2017/4/25/15417286/football-nfl-draft-profile-ot-michael-dunn-day-3  Put the Camp Pads on & go Play big fella!!   

  • @orion said:

    Much ado about a punter.  But I WILL say this, after he kicks the ball, you've gotta BLOCK him.  He puts a new spin on the saying, "He's only got the punter to beat."

    I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #28

    @icecube said:

    I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

    There is a strong correlation between field position and expected added points. 

    Punters may not "win" games themselves, but the contribution adds up over time when you flip field position.   Old say goes - "game of inches".

    My secret weapon was Billings, but now he's opted out =(   

    Next on that list for me would be Elliot and god knows whatever bigs that want to get nasty on the interior.

  • @icecube said:

    I donno, give me a QB who throws at a 65% completion rate, has double the TDs over ints before I get excited about a punter. How often does a punter win games?

    There is a strong correlation between field position and expected added points. 

    Punters may not "win" games themselves, but the contribution adds up over time when you flip field position.   Old say goes - "game of inches".

    My secret weapon was Billings, but now he's opted out =(   

    Next on that list for me would be Elliot and god knows whatever bigs that want to get nasty on the interior.

    I Icecube wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @tiamat63 said:

    There is a strong correlation between field position and expected added points. 

    Punters may not "win" games themselves, but the contribution adds up over time when you flip field position.   Old say goes - "game of inches".

    My secret weapon was Billings, but now he's opted out =(   

    Next on that list for me would be Elliot and god knows whatever bigs that want to get nasty on the interior.

    I agree, to a degree every inch matters, unless you're the Chiefs and can erase a 28 point deficit and win by 21 going away. Then, yea, a QB can erase a punter's production. ?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    There is a strong correlation between field position and expected added points. 

    Punters may not "win" games themselves, but the contribution adds up over time when you flip field position.   Old say goes - "game of inches".

    My secret weapon was Billings, but now he's opted out =(   

    Next on that list for me would be Elliot and god knows whatever bigs that want to get nasty on the interior.

    I agree, to a degree every inch matters, unless you're the Chiefs and can erase a 28 point deficit and win by 21 going away. Then, yea, a QB can erase a punter's production. ?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @icecube said:

    I agree, to a degree every inch matters, unless you're the Chiefs and can erase a 28 point deficit and win by 21 going away. Then, yea, a QB can erase a punter's production. ?

    A punter can be your defense's best friend pinning the other team inside the 20, 10 or 5 yard line.

    A lot of coaches college and pro know the value of the "hidden yard game" one was Jim Tressel both at YSU and OSU he won national championships at both.

    When you think about the GOAT NFL punters the names just pop up in your mind.  They like GOAT FG kickers are worth every penny of being the least paid but most dependable players on the team.

    Something like long snappers, special teams guys, assistant coaches and others who just do their jobs.....everytime.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #31

    another "secret weapon" is the offensive line depth. The Browns are paying serious attention to it.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-sign-guard-jovahn-fair-add-interior-offensive-line-depth/

    The current Browns KNOW the offensive line woes of the past teams. The offensive line is the engine of the offense.

    You can have the most expensive wheels, steering wheel, mirrors transmission, etc, but if the engine falters, the whole car falters.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #32

    Another secret weapon, perhaps more secret than the others....

    is Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round - in what

    I believe is the closest to brilliant full draft for the Browns in many years.

    I also believe that teams don't go to the superbowl without nailing their recent drafts.

    If Njoku doesn't have the work ethic to fix his dropsies problem, Bryant could end up

    seeing a lot of playing time down the road his first year.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/which-browns-late-round-rookie-has-the-best-chance-for-success-in-2020/

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #33

    Harrison Bryant played at a smaller college -- well, it doesn't matter. He was a GEM in the fourth round.

    Fourth round secret weapon - has soft hands, CATCHES the ball.

    HIghlights are fun to watch:

    Catches in traffic, is rough and tough, loves the game...we'll see.

  • Another secret weapon, perhaps more secret than the others....

    is Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round - in what

    I believe is the closest to brilliant full draft for the Browns in many years.

    I also believe that teams don't go to the superbowl without nailing their recent drafts.

    If Njoku doesn't have the work ethic to fix his dropsies problem, Bryant could end up

    seeing a lot of playing time down the road his first year.

    https://www.brownsnation.com/which-browns-late-round-rookie-has-the-best-chance-for-success-in-2020/

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #34

    @calfoxwc said:

    Harrison Bryant, TE, fourth round. He was a steal in the fourth round

    ...I'm not ready to call a mid-draft player from a small school a weapon.  Hopefully he can be taught to be a decent blocker.  We need someone who does both well, catches and blocks.

    I wish for Bryant to be a weapon.  

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

  • Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @bob806 said:

    Donovan Peoples-Jones could be a great find. Return man, good hands. 

    ...I thought the knock on him was his drops.  And an average route runner at best.  I think Mel Kiper said, 'He looks good in a uniform.'  🙂  He's not known as a blocker and we know Stef wants his receivers to block for that wide zone run.  I think it's gonna be rough for him this year.  He's gotta be taught to be a crisp route runner in order to get open in the nfl.  He's gotta learn to block.  Gotta learn an nfl playbook.  In this wacky COVID preseason with no games and few 'real' practices.  Whew!  It's a tough year to be a 'project' player!  -  He's got good size, I wish for him to become a weapon.