Skip to content

Musings for this week

The Browns Board
34 10 1.9k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Right, I should have said it is amazing what perversity you can come up with in such a short period of time...as if they have this stuff right at their fingertips.

    They do. It's called google 🙂

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @nigeltufnel said:

    They do. It's called google 🙂

    Google? What's that? Isn't that Snuffy Smith's buddy?

  • @the-gipper said:

    My daughter did the same thing....read all the books in a short space of time. Which, in a sense is good as she would never read books (even though she has been getting all As in school). She has decided to also read the Harry Potter books as well as she is into Harry.

    I like to learn real world applicable knowledge when I read... fantasy isn't really my thing.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    AdaM said:

    I like to learn real world applicable knowledge when I read... fantasy isn't really my thing.

    What, like, you read lawnmower operating manuals just for fun?

  • ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @shepwrite said:

    "Twilight" is "Dawson's Creek" with occasional fangs. Unbearably bad.

    If you dig vampires, "True Blood" is the coolest TV show ever produced in the history of forever.

    Not so much on the lawn mower manuals. I enjoy finding out how obscure things work/function, and why things happen.

    Don't even play trivial pursuit with me.... Unless its pop culture edition, ugh.

  • @shepwrite said:

    "Twilight" is "Dawson's Creek" with occasional fangs. Unbearably bad.

    If you dig vampires, "True Blood" is the coolest TV show ever produced in the history of forever.

    Not so much on the lawn mower manuals. I enjoy finding out how obscure things work/function, and why things happen.

    Don't even play trivial pursuit with me.... Unless its pop culture edition, ugh.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    AdaM said:

    Not so much on the lawn mower manuals. I enjoy finding out how obscure things work/function, and why things happen.

    Don't even play trivial pursuit with me.... Unless its pop culture edition, ugh.

    Recall that I am the guy that frequently does a trivia post. Are you saying you do like it, or don't like it?

  • AdaM said:

    Not so much on the lawn mower manuals. I enjoy finding out how obscure things work/function, and why things happen.

    Don't even play trivial pursuit with me.... Unless its pop culture edition, ugh.

    Recall that I am the guy that frequently does a trivia post. Are you saying you do like it, or don't like it?

    ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    Recall that I am the guy that frequently does a trivia post. Are you saying you do like it, or don't like it?

    I love trivia, super old sports history is just something I've never been interested in researching, sadly.

    I should have been an engineer, I'm obsessed with engines and how components come together to make a machine function.

    alas... I'm in IT.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Recall that I am the guy that frequently does a trivia post. Are you saying you do like it, or don't like it?

    I love trivia, super old sports history is just something I've never been interested in researching, sadly.

    I should have been an engineer, I'm obsessed with engines and how components come together to make a machine function.

    alas... I'm in IT.

    ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #17

    AdaM said:

    I love trivia, super old sports history is just something I've never been interested in researching, sadly.

    I should have been an engineer, I'm obsessed with engines and how components come together to make a machine function.

    alas... I'm in IT.

    And I'm positive many of you here would school me in some trivial pursuit, but I'm still pretty good.

    I retain almost everything I read / learn. So my trivial pursuit prowess is mostly a result of a good/photographic memory. I think.

  • Random musings on various issues:

    1. Here we go again! The injury bug hitting the Browns right from the get go of training camp. Almost shades of LeCharles Bently. And last year it was Braylon Edwards. The Browns as constituted the last decade have had a hard enough time winning without losing players to injury, yet, they have been one of the hardest hit teams with injuries this century! What? For 4 years in a row they led the NFL in numbers of players on the IR. Now Hadnot gets hurts. Hopefully, as some reports are telling us, it is not serious...but yea, it was a "here we go again moment" for sure.

    2. My prediction this year is that Joe Flacco will have to be renamed "Joe Fluke-o". I don't see him having anywhere near the same kind of year as he had his rookie season. The Ravens will still be competitive because of their staunch defense, but there will be a significant dropoff on that team's offensive performance.

    3. OK, I usually make an observation on these Fridays about a particular hot babe (and not necessarily just young hot babes). Last time I mentioned Jamie Lee Curtis and someone thought I must be gay because they claimed she was a hermaphrodite. Whatever! This weeks hot babe: Selma Hayek. Saw her in an older movie and she has T&A out the door.

    An ass equal to Jennifer Lopez, but a far better rack. OK, now, I dare someone out there to call HER a dude!

    4. To me, the so called "greatest rivalry" between the Yankees and Red Sox is a fake rivalry. Don't get me wrong, it is a great natural rivalry, but today, it is fake because it is fueled only by cash. That is like saying there is a rivalry between a $100.00 bill and a $1.00 bill. Ding, ding, ding....guess who wins that one...the one with the higher dollar figure. Other than Jeter and Rivera is their anyone on the Yankees they didn't just buy because they have so much more money than everyone else? (a-Rod, C.C., Texeira, Damon, Beckett, etc. etc. etc. Same pretty much for the Red Sox). This is in no way as quality a rivalry as say the Packer/Bears, or OSU/Michigan, or Duke/NC.

    5. And speaking of the inequities of baseball....the Tribe should be completely boycotted until the Dolan's sell the team. They have given up on the team and the fans, for this year and the forseeable future. They COULD have possibly been a contender is their weak division next year, but the Dolans didn't care. There is no reason to give that family a farthing, be it ticket purchase, concessions, parking, souvenirs or anything. Yes, their situation is somewhat caused by the inequities in the baseball financial situation, but they still gave up on the team. Why should we do anything different?

    6. OK, so, my teenage daughter got me to watch Twilight, you know, the current teenage vampire big thing. It wasn't so bad. A little chick flicky, but not as bad as I thought it would be in that regard. They did overdo the angst however. The movie could have been just as good if the lead characters cracked a smile once or twice.

    7. Perhaps the most deluded fans in the nation (except for Steeler fans?) are the fans of SEC football. A lot of them seem to have it in their heads that just because they won a few BCS title games lately that that effort vindicates them for losing the Civil War. Clue for you SECers: You still lost the Civil Wars. It is the progeny of all those slaves you bred that are now winning those football games for you. The only reason your part of the country finally got turned around after 140 years is because all the snowbirds from the north came to live down your way to get out of the cold. These things are cyclical and for all we know, the Pac-10 may now be the dominant conference. (but, unfortunately, probably not the Big 10)

    8. As great a playright as William Shakespeare is, on occasion a few of his plot devices are totally absurd. Like in Twelfth Night where some of these people can't tell whether they are looking at a boy or a girl. Where the one guy marries the woman...and forgets to tell her that his name is Sebastian, not Cesario as she keeps calling him. Or in Othello where Othello kills his wife because he thinks she is cheating on him simply because she is holding some other guys handkerchief....and he never bothers to ask her about it. If he would just have come out and asked "where'd you get the fancy snotrag, bitch" she could have told him. Instead he whacks her for it? Dumb. Nevertheless, Shakespeare is great despite these few foibles.

    9. I predict that the Arizona Cardinals, Super Bowl losers, will not make the playoffs this year. And this will only follow a trend as 7 of the last 8 Super Bowl losers before the Cardinals did not make it to the playoffs the following year.

    10. James Davis may be a Diamond in the rough and will likely get a lot of carries....and be productive in the Browns running game.

    TTFN

    D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    Random musings on various issues:

    3. OK, I usually make an observation on these Fridays about a particular hot babe (and not necessarily just young hot babes). Last time I mentioned Jamie Lee Curtis and someone thought I must be gay because they claimed she was a hermaphrodite. Whatever! This weeks hot babe: Selma Hayek. Saw her in an older movie and she has T&A out the door.

    An ass equal to Jennifer Lopez, but a far better rack. OK, now, I dare someone out there to call HER a dude!

    8. As great a playright as William Shakespeare is, on occasion a few of his plot devices are totally absurd. Like in Twelfth Night where some of these people can't tell whether they are looking at a boy or a girl. Where the one guy marries the woman...and forgets to tell her that his name is Sebastian, not Cesario as she keeps calling him. Or in Othello where Othello kills his wife because he thinks she is cheating on him simply because she is holding some other guys handkerchief....and he never bothers to ask her about it. If he would just have come out and asked "where'd you get the fancy snotrag, bitch" she could have told him. Instead he whacks her for it? Dumb. Nevertheless, Shakespeare is great despite these few foibles.

    Okay, the Jamie Lee Curtis thing is an urban legend, people. For God's sake, go watch True Lies again. She's all woman. As for Selma Hayek, I've been re-watching season three of 30 Rock on Hulu the last couple of days and...wow. One bit of dialogue seems especially appropriate:

    Jack: Elisa is deeply religious.

    Liz: If I had knockers like that, I'd thank God, too.

    I'll take a shot at defending Shakespeare a bit, which I can hopefully do after spending the last three years working on a PhD in dramatic literature--which does seem a bit out of place here, but no more out of place than when I spend intermission at a play checking scores and my fantasy roster. Two points: first, he was writing for an audience that still believed that witches could fly into your house and steal your babies and that bathing made you sick. So a plot device like the bizarre cross-dressing stuff probably wouldn't seem that unbelievable to the audience at the time. Okay, some of it probably came across as a load of crap, like when Desdemona gives her dying words after being strangled (Stabbed? Okay, you can give final words as you bleed out. Poisoned? Sure, why not? Strangled? Really?). But he was still working with a pretty credulous audience. Second, he usually uses the prologue at the beginning of the play to establish that the play has a logic of its own--the stage is Verona, the stage is France, the guy you saw playing Falstaff last week is now someone's mom--so it's setting up a world where these things happen for an audience that probably believed that the could as well.

    That's one of the reason I don't think Shakespeare translates all that well onto film; the audience has changed, and directors and producers try to bring the material up-to-date and make it into something that looks real-world, when it was never real-world to begin with.

    Dennis

  • @the-gipper said:

    Recall that I am the guy that frequently does a trivia post. Are you saying you do like it, or don't like it?

    I love trivia, super old sports history is just something I've never been interested in researching, sadly.

    I should have been an engineer, I'm obsessed with engines and how components come together to make a machine function.

    alas... I'm in IT.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    AdaM said:

    I love trivia, super old sports history is just something I've never been interested in researching, sadly.

    I should have been an engineer, I'm obsessed with engines and how components come together to make a machine function.

    alas... I'm in IT.

    Maybe you are Darth Vader. Anakin Skywalker had the same obsession!

  • AdaM said:

    I love trivia, super old sports history is just something I've never been interested in researching, sadly.

    I should have been an engineer, I'm obsessed with engines and how components come together to make a machine function.

    alas... I'm in IT.

    Maybe you are Darth Vader. Anakin Skywalker had the same obsession!

    ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe you are Darth Vader. Anakin Skywalker had the same obsession!

    No shit? Looks like I need to turn my life around... although being the leader of an evil empire has its charms...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Random musings on various issues:

    3. OK, I usually make an observation on these Fridays about a particular hot babe (and not necessarily just young hot babes). Last time I mentioned Jamie Lee Curtis and someone thought I must be gay because they claimed she was a hermaphrodite. Whatever! This weeks hot babe: Selma Hayek. Saw her in an older movie and she has T&A out the door.

    An ass equal to Jennifer Lopez, but a far better rack. OK, now, I dare someone out there to call HER a dude!

    8. As great a playright as William Shakespeare is, on occasion a few of his plot devices are totally absurd. Like in Twelfth Night where some of these people can't tell whether they are looking at a boy or a girl. Where the one guy marries the woman...and forgets to tell her that his name is Sebastian, not Cesario as she keeps calling him. Or in Othello where Othello kills his wife because he thinks she is cheating on him simply because she is holding some other guys handkerchief....and he never bothers to ask her about it. If he would just have come out and asked "where'd you get the fancy snotrag, bitch" she could have told him. Instead he whacks her for it? Dumb. Nevertheless, Shakespeare is great despite these few foibles.

    Okay, the Jamie Lee Curtis thing is an urban legend, people. For God's sake, go watch True Lies again. She's all woman. As for Selma Hayek, I've been re-watching season three of 30 Rock on Hulu the last couple of days and...wow. One bit of dialogue seems especially appropriate:

    Jack: Elisa is deeply religious.

    Liz: If I had knockers like that, I'd thank God, too.

    I'll take a shot at defending Shakespeare a bit, which I can hopefully do after spending the last three years working on a PhD in dramatic literature--which does seem a bit out of place here, but no more out of place than when I spend intermission at a play checking scores and my fantasy roster. Two points: first, he was writing for an audience that still believed that witches could fly into your house and steal your babies and that bathing made you sick. So a plot device like the bizarre cross-dressing stuff probably wouldn't seem that unbelievable to the audience at the time. Okay, some of it probably came across as a load of crap, like when Desdemona gives her dying words after being strangled (Stabbed? Okay, you can give final words as you bleed out. Poisoned? Sure, why not? Strangled? Really?). But he was still working with a pretty credulous audience. Second, he usually uses the prologue at the beginning of the play to establish that the play has a logic of its own--the stage is Verona, the stage is France, the guy you saw playing Falstaff last week is now someone's mom--so it's setting up a world where these things happen for an audience that probably believed that the could as well.

    That's one of the reason I don't think Shakespeare translates all that well onto film; the audience has changed, and directors and producers try to bring the material up-to-date and make it into something that looks real-world, when it was never real-world to begin with.

    Dennis

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @dencyguy said:

    Okay, the Jamie Lee Curtis thing is an urban legend, people. For God's sake, go watch True Lies again. She's all woman. As for Selma Hayek, I've been re-watching season three of 30 Rock on Hulu the last couple of days and...wow. One bit of dialogue seems especially appropriate:

    Jack: Elisa is deeply religious.

    Liz: If I had knockers like that, I'd thank God, too.

    I'll take a shot at defending Shakespeare a bit, which I can hopefully do after spending the last three years working on a PhD in dramatic literature--which does seem a bit out of place here, but no more out of place than when I spend intermission at a play checking scores and my fantasy roster. Two points: first, he was writing for an audience that still believed that witches could fly into your house and steal your babies and that bathing made you sick. So a plot device like the bizarre cross-dressing stuff probably wouldn't seem that unbelievable to the audience at the time. Okay, some of it probably came across as a load of crap, like when Desdemona gives her dying words after being strangled (Stabbed? Okay, you can give final words as you bleed out. Poisoned? Sure, why not? Strangled? Really?). But he was still working with a pretty credulous audience. Second, he usually uses the prologue at the beginning of the play to establish that the play has a logic of its own--the stage is Verona, the stage is France, the guy you saw playing Falstaff last week is now someone's mom--so it's setting up a world where these things happen for an audience that probably believed that the could as well.

    That's one of the reason I don't think Shakespeare translates all that well onto film; the audience has changed, and directors and producers try to bring the material up-to-date and make it into something that looks real-world, when it was never real-world to begin with.

    Dennis

    OK, I was not trying to disparage the Bard's greatness at turning a plot. He is obviously one of the best ever in history at doing so. I am only saying that sometimes these twists were sometimes such that they stretched credulity, and that occasionally a little human logic could been brought into events to explain things....but then that would spoil everything, wouldn't it. (By the way, today's sitcom's and soaps probably suffer from the same fate at times....stretching credulity that is)

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Oh to be a this baby.

  • D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
    #23

    You can see the wonder in the baby's eyes--"If she stays around, she can feed my entire daycare!"

    Dennis

  • D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @hiwaygal said:

    Shit. Do we have to call you doctor or something now?!?!?

    No, no, no. I still have a dissertation to write. Then I will demand to be called doctor. Until then, Sir Dennis is perfectly acceptable.

    S. Dennis

  • @hiwaygal said:

    Shit. Do we have to call you doctor or something now?!?!?

    No, no, no. I still have a dissertation to write. Then I will demand to be called doctor. Until then, Sir Dennis is perfectly acceptable.

    S. Dennis

    ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @dencyguy said:

    No, no, no. I still have a dissertation to write. Then I will demand to be called doctor. Until then, Sir Dennis is perfectly acceptable.

    S. Dennis

    My uncle has only needed to write his dissertation for about 15 years now....

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #26

    Zombo said:

    Gipper, were you that ATTY guy on aol?

    Zombo

    Yes. Though my e-mail address/screen name was Attys460 on AOL, (a reflection of my profession and business address at the time) I always signed my posts over there as The Gipper. I wasn't trying to fake anyone out with a false identity. Since this board didn't use e-mail addresses I just used my "Gipper" identity as my name here ( a derivation of my real name). I know longer have that AOL account.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @hiwaygal said:

    That's fine.

    You can call me "YOUR MAJESTY"

    lol

    Are you "Queen of the Road"?

  • Oh to be a this baby.

    B Brownshirt wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @the-gipper said:

    Oh to be a this baby.

    I was thinking of that clip as I was reading your post. Did you see Frida? Very, very hot movie (even with a unibrow)

    http://www.miramax.com/frida/

  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh to be a this baby.

    I was thinking of that clip as I was reading your post. Did you see Frida? Very, very hot movie (even with a unibrow)

    http://www.miramax.com/frida/

    V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @brownshirt said:

    I was thinking of that clip as I was reading your post. Did you see Frida? Very, very hot movie (even with a unibrow)

    http://www.miramax.com/frida/

    Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz had a scene where they were in bed with a guy - can't remember the name of the movie but it was a western. Man those two ----- very nice.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Salma is a piece.

  • J JC wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @shepwrite said:

    "Twilight" is "Dawson's Creek" with occasional fangs. Unbearably bad.

    If you dig vampires, "True Blood" is the coolest TV show ever produced in the history of forever.

    I concur. I am completely addicted to True Blood. I'm not really a vampire buff, but True Blood is fantastic, particularly since it has all kinds of different characters - both human and supernatural.