Baker Mayfield
-
We're in trouble.
Excellent film breakdown on why Baker is garbage at 4:06 in the video.
No one here is saying Baker had no time to throw.
-
Man.... that’s a hot take.
“It’s a thin vail that Stephanski took his starting QB out of a blowout game who had a rib injury coming into the game to “protect” him. When it’s really him protecting his own job.”
Wtf does that even mean? Maybe.... He wants to keep his starting QB healthy because it’s week 6 and they are 4-2?
AND the Steelers are good this year based on Big Ben..... Ya.... it’s not their defense...
-
We're in trouble.
Excellent film breakdown on why Baker is garbage at 4:06 in the video.
No one here is saying Baker had no time to throw.
We're in trouble.
Excellent film breakdown on why Baker is garbage at 4:06 in the video.
No one here is saying Baker had no time to throw.
What's interesting about that tape is the amount of times I saw Pitt bluff one coverage pre-snap, then roll into cover 2 at the snap. Which is exactly what they did there and throughout the game.
Dan Orlovsky was obviously a pro QB and I'm positive he has more insight than me - Hell, I'd love to pick his brain. But on that stick/out you'd think Bakers eyes would, as I pointed out in the Baltimore game, notice the pre-snap tip to the field side/strength of the formation. That's Bud Dupree playing inbetween the #1 and #2 while Devin Bush is walked up over the B gap inside of Heyward.
WHY are you not looking to work that as your initial read? You have throwing windows based on leverage, positioning and route combination alone. Especially against an edge rusher who is more comfortable attacking and a 5'11 LB matched up on a 6'5 TE.
I'm noticing a trend where Baker tends to get in trouble and seems to lock his eyes at times - the boundary (short side) of the field. Why? Not entirely sure at the moment. I really need a week of vacation to go back and just pour through the last 6 weeks. Toss in the fact that I'm not sure he fully understands how to throw the ball to a larger receiver that can box out a defender with size and make contested catches. Either that or working the short game and 3 steps is just something he isn't comfortable with either. He certainly doesn't invoke memories of Brady dinking and dunking a defense to death at times.
-
We're in trouble.
Excellent film breakdown on why Baker is garbage at 4:06 in the video.
No one here is saying Baker had no time to throw.
What's interesting about that tape is the amount of times I saw Pitt bluff one coverage pre-snap, then roll into cover 2 at the snap. Which is exactly what they did there and throughout the game.
Dan Orlovsky was obviously a pro QB and I'm positive he has more insight than me - Hell, I'd love to pick his brain. But on that stick/out you'd think Bakers eyes would, as I pointed out in the Baltimore game, notice the pre-snap tip to the field side/strength of the formation. That's Bud Dupree playing inbetween the #1 and #2 while Devin Bush is walked up over the B gap inside of Heyward.
WHY are you not looking to work that as your initial read? You have throwing windows based on leverage, positioning and route combination alone. Especially against an edge rusher who is more comfortable attacking and a 5'11 LB matched up on a 6'5 TE.
I'm noticing a trend where Baker tends to get in trouble and seems to lock his eyes at times - the boundary (short side) of the field. Why? Not entirely sure at the moment. I really need a week of vacation to go back and just pour through the last 6 weeks. Toss in the fact that I'm not sure he fully understands how to throw the ball to a larger receiver that can box out a defender with size and make contested catches. Either that or working the short game and 3 steps is just something he isn't comfortable with either. He certainly doesn't invoke memories of Brady dinking and dunking a defense to death at times.
What's interesting about that tape is the amount of times I saw Pitt bluff one coverage pre-snap, then roll into cover 2 at the snap. Which is exactly what they did there and throughout the game.
Dan Orlovsky was obviously a pro QB and I'm positive he has more insight than me - Hell, I'd love to pick his brain. But on that stick/out you'd think Bakers eyes would, as I pointed out in the Baltimore game, notice the pre-snap tip to the field side/strength of the formation. That's Bud Dupree playing inbetween the #1 and #2 while Devin Bush is walked up over the B gap inside of Heyward.
WHY are you not looking to work that as your initial read? You have throwing windows based on leverage, positioning and route combination alone. Especially against an edge rusher who is more comfortable attacking and a 5'11 LB matched up on a 6'5 TE.
I'm noticing a trend where Baker tends to get in trouble and seems to lock his eyes at times - the boundary (short side) of the field. Why? Not entirely sure at the moment. I really need a week of vacation to go back and just pour through the last 6 weeks. Toss in the fact that I'm not sure he fully understands how to throw the ball to a larger receiver that can box out a defender with size and make contested catches. Either that or working the short game and 3 steps is just something he isn't comfortable with either. He certainly doesn't invoke memories of Brady dinking and dunking a defense to death at times.
Actually I think it's a brain lock thing. He gets the play in from the bench, makes the call and then does not have the ability to read what he sees while his brain "locks" into that primary receiver. That's what those other guys are brutally describing in the second video on that interception. How many times have we seen him go long when there are intermediate open receivers almost in the same sight line? But his brain is locked on that first one. He just can't "un-see" enough to go to the more open one who gets an easy 1st down. And defenders are easily reading how locked in his eyes are to go along with his brain. Then you watch the real pros who use those same eyes to look people off of where they really intend to go. Baker has not learned that part of the game. It's like he can only see about a third of the field on any one play and he just stays glued to it.
-
We are kind of screwed. Cuz we are trapped with baker at least this year (and maybe next). But so far it’s clear he is not improving at a noticeable pace
-
We are kind of screwed. Cuz we are trapped with baker at least this year (and maybe next). But so far it’s clear he is not improving at a noticeable pace
We are kind of screwed. Cuz we are trapped with baker at least this year (and maybe next). But so far it’s clear he is not improving at a noticeable pace
THIS. For whatever reason, Baker is not improving. I thought he was the real deal, but I'm not sure now.
-
6 games in at 4-2 and the pitchforks are already out... You guys don't deserve a franchise QB... You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
-
-
6 games in at 4-2 and the pitchforks are already out... You guys don't deserve a franchise QB... You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
6 games in at 4-2 and the pitchforks are already out... You guys don't deserve a franchise QB... You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
Well I'm no QB guru, so I can only go with the analysis of an NFL QB and the other "experts".
I would love to know Bernies thoughts on Mayfield.
If Mayfield is indeed not the QB we thought he was we are in a predicament like no other. Just as we are starting to gain respect. He was the first pick in the draft.. Do we risk being committed to him like the bungholes did Dalton, or do we cut ties and return to our familiar place of being laughingstock of the NFL ?
-
6 games in at 4-2 and the pitchforks are already out... You guys don't deserve a franchise QB... You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
6 games in at 4-2 and the pitchforks are already out... You guys don't deserve a franchise QB... You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
True. I wonder how injured he was at the beginning of the game and more later on as he was getting hurried and sacked.
If the BROWNS ever lose Mayfield well.............. .

-
6 games in at 4-2 and the pitchforks are already out... You guys don't deserve a franchise QB... You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
-
-
6 games in at 4-2 and the pitchforks are already out... You guys don't deserve a franchise QB... You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
My guess is that's what they are afraid Baker is...
Personally I still think Baker still has a shot at being a very good NFL QB. We'll know a lot more in 11 weeks.
Meanwhile my old adage comes to mind...
You are always looking for your next QB, it's just a matter of how hard you are looking and what price you are willing to pay when you see him.
-
Wow.
Everyone needs to watch this. The Steelers are not 31 points better than the Browns, neither are the Ravens 32 points better.
The Browns and the Steelers are equals...up and down the roster.
Except at one position.
You can't believe this can you? Let's go through the 22.
QB: Not even a discussion, BR WAY over BM
RB: Hunt/Chubb over Conner
WR1: OBJ over JuJu
WR2: Landry over Washington
WR3: Claypool over Higgins
TE: Hooper by a bit
LT: Villanueva over Wills
LG: Bitonio over Feller
C- Pouncey over Trotter
RG: Decastro over Teller
RT: Conklin over Okorafor
Offense: Cleveland 6 Pittsburgh 5
DE: Garrett over Twitter
DT: Heyward over Ogunjobi
NT/DT/DE: Alualu over Richardson/Vernon
OLB: Watt WAY over Wilson
ILB: Bush WAY over Goodson
ILB: Williams over Phillips
OLB: Dupree WAY over Takitaki/Smith
CB: Ward over Haden
CB: Nelson over Mitchell
FS: Fitzpatrick WAY over Sendejo
SS: Edmunds WAY over Joseph
Defense: Pittsburgh 9 Cleveland 2
Total: Pittsburgh 14 Cleveland 8
Baker was terrible, but to think that the teams up and down the roster are even is when you get unreachable expectations.
While unlikely, if the Browns are fully healthy and play a very good game with the right game plan they can beat Pittsburgh. But they are a bad match up for Browns anytime they play. They have an above average Offense (while the Browns have a below average defense at best) and they have probably the best defense in the NFL and the Browns have a very good explosive offense (especially with Chubb and IF Baker is having a good day). But they DON'T have the NFL best offense
-
You deserve a Trubisky/Hoyer type...
My guess is that's what they are afraid Baker is...
Personally I still think Baker still has a shot at being a very good NFL QB. We'll know a lot more in 11 weeks.
Meanwhile my old adage comes to mind...
You are always looking for your next QB, it's just a matter of how hard you are looking and what price you are willing to pay when you see him.
My guess is that's what they are afraid Baker is...
Personally I still think Baker still has a shot at being a very good NFL QB. We'll know a lot more in 11 weeks.
Meanwhile my old adage comes to mind...
You are always looking for your next QB, it's just a matter of how hard you are looking and what price you are willing to pay when you see him.
Well what happens this coming Sunday will determine a lot, starting with whether he even plays. I said first thing before KO that I thought it was a bad idea to play him because of what I saw with his last pass the game before. I don't think any QB can heal up that fast from what I was looking at then. Nothing I saw in the game to follow really changed that opinion. He was totally off even when he had open receivers.
-
I'd swap Mayfield for Burrows in a heartbeat and take my chances.
I'd rather see a QB take his bumps and bruises his rookie year with a talentless team than be a one year wonder like Mayfield.
Burrows is the typical AFCN North QB. Big at 6'4" 230. Cincy got him, Balt has Lamar, Pitt has Ben and and we got the midget.
Todays QB must be able to pass from the pocket. Mayfield is horrible at it.
I'd swap Mayfield for Burrows in a heartbeat and take my chances.
I'd rather see a QB take his bumps and bruises his rookie year with a talentless team than be a one year wonder like Mayfield.
Burrows is the typical AFCN North QB. Big at 6'4" 230. Cincy got him, Balt has Lamar, Pitt has Ben and and we got the midget.
Todays QB must be able to pass from the pocket. Mayfield is horrible at it.
I get to see plenty of Joe B living 50 miles up the road from Paul Brown. I'm not ready to put him in the HOF after 5-6 games. Baker had a crappy game against the Steelers? Burrow got his ass kicked by the Ravens, the only top level defense he's faced so far. I don't currently consider the Browns Mash unit secondary a top level defense. Put up big numbers against the Jags and Eagles.
Too damn early to make a definite evaluation of Joe. Looks good- so far. Plenty of QBs have been ruined taking a beating early on, David Carr and a host of others.
PS The upcoming game against the Bengals is huge, if the Browns want to be considered serious playoff contenders. These next four games will tell the story. Getting garbage wins the end of the year against the Giants and Jets just to get to 9-7? Not so much.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login