Baker Mayfield
-
The 3rd and 17 play WAS the game.
Well the succeeding PI cal on 3rd and 8 didn't hurt any...

For me it was Stef reestablishing our Offensive identity... and Baker's role in that ID. Stef had all his tools back and wasted no time putting them to use. Our OL and run game flat wore the HOU Defense out.
I think we could have played in a dome today and our game plan would not have changed at all. Can't say the same about HOU tho... I think they "protected" Watson... overly so... and found out too late that they could ask him to do more than dink.
Well the succeeding PI cal on 3rd and 8 didn't hurt any...

For me it was Stef reestablishing our Offensive identity... and Baker's role in that ID. Stef had all his tools back and wasted no time putting them to use. Our OL and run game flat wore the HOU Defense out.
I think we could have played in a dome today and our game plan would not have changed at all. Can't say the same about HOU tho... I think they "protected" Watson... overly so... and found out too late that they could ask him to do more than dink.
We definitely stayed with the plan and didn't mess around. This was an example of STICKING TO IT. You have to remember, it's much harder to run the ball when they KNOW you're running it, and Houston definitely knew we wanted to run. Houston also did an excellent job of knocking us off our play-action passing game, especially the bootlegs. They fired their DE or linebacker directly at the QB instead of paying any attention to the QB. This leaves the cutback lane wide open (our touchdown run) but also completely nullifies virtually any bootleg because Baker won't have time.
You have to give credit to our defense and to our coaches. I was SCREAMING at the television on the 4th and goal play that a QB draw was coming, and throughout the years, this play has absolutely killed us. Well, guess what? Our coaches were ALL OVER that shit and our players executed the plan perfectly. How nice is that? We pinched him inside, Ogunjobi was in the middle, and Garrett stalked his ass.
It's very difficult to continue with the run when it's not working. I suggested that we try a semi hurry up offense on a possession, just to try and get some momentum. While we didn't quite do that, we did have a good drive before half that kind of felt like hurry up and out was successful. We didn't score points, but we kept it away from Texans. That's extremely important because we didn't get ball after half.
Lots to like, some things I didn't like, but what a nice victory. Missed you guys in the Tavern, but I had fun hanging with my dad.
-
Well the succeeding PI cal on 3rd and 8 didn't hurt any...

For me it was Stef reestablishing our Offensive identity... and Baker's role in that ID. Stef had all his tools back and wasted no time putting them to use. Our OL and run game flat wore the HOU Defense out.
I think we could have played in a dome today and our game plan would not have changed at all. Can't say the same about HOU tho... I think they "protected" Watson... overly so... and found out too late that they could ask him to do more than dink.
We definitely stayed with the plan and didn't mess around. This was an example of STICKING TO IT. You have to remember, it's much harder to run the ball when they KNOW you're running it, and Houston definitely knew we wanted to run. Houston also did an excellent job of knocking us off our play-action passing game, especially the bootlegs. They fired their DE or linebacker directly at the QB instead of paying any attention to the QB. This leaves the cutback lane wide open (our touchdown run) but also completely nullifies virtually any bootleg because Baker won't have time.
You have to give credit to our defense and to our coaches. I was SCREAMING at the television on the 4th and goal play that a QB draw was coming, and throughout the years, this play has absolutely killed us. Well, guess what? Our coaches were ALL OVER that shit and our players executed the plan perfectly. How nice is that? We pinched him inside, Ogunjobi was in the middle, and Garrett stalked his ass.
It's very difficult to continue with the run when it's not working. I suggested that we try a semi hurry up offense on a possession, just to try and get some momentum. While we didn't quite do that, we did have a good drive before half that kind of felt like hurry up and out was successful. We didn't score points, but we kept it away from Texans. That's extremely important because we didn't get ball after half.
Lots to like, some things I didn't like, but what a nice victory. Missed you guys in the Tavern, but I had fun hanging with my dad.
Missed you guys in the Tavern, but I had fun hanging with my dad.
"You chose wisely." - Some Old Knight
But you could have learned a lot about swimming pools and regional differences in their off-season care... also Vegan pizza.
Well... it was kind of a slow game.

-
Missed you guys in the Tavern, but I had fun hanging with my dad.
"You chose wisely." - Some Old Knight
But you could have learned a lot about swimming pools and regional differences in their off-season care... also Vegan pizza.
Well... it was kind of a slow game.

Well... it was kind of a slow game.
LOL. Boy, it seriously was that. I was about to lose my lunch after Peoples-Jones once AGAIN tried to lose the game fielding a kickoff. He almost buried us against Dallas, and he probably should have killed us yesterday. Starting a drive from our own 2 after giving up a touchdown? Up only 3?! Yikes!
Thank goodness for Chubb and Hunt. ?
-
QB Index, Week 12
https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-12-deshaun-watson-derek-carr-climb
Rank 211^Baker MayfieldCleveland Browns · Year 3Individual Rank: Bhanpuri: 22 | Blair: 20 | Filice: 22 | Parr: 22
2020 stats: 10 games | 60.8 pct | 1,850 pass yds | 7.0 ypa | 15 pass TD | 7 INT | 75 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 1 fumble lost
-
Baker missing some throws lately. Please get consistent Baker
-
Baker missing some throws lately. Please get consistent Baker
Baker missing some throws lately. Please get consistent Baker
I think he missed several high, early...including a couple of potential TD throws. But then settled down. He finished 19/29 258 yds. 65.5% 2 TDs -0- Ints. Overall pretty efficient.
-
I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.
As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.
To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.
There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
see the numbers I gave above for today's game. Yes, should have had another 4 pts on a TD, plus, really another 3 on a coach's decision not to kick a FG ....but still very efficient.
but I am far, far, more worried about the defense and the Ward injury and Garrett situation.
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
This is what average QBs do.
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
He is 8-3.
He completed 65.5%.
Doesn't seem like a mess to me. He messed up a couple of throws...that is it.
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
The announcers astutely mentioned this about Baker.
When he's doing a play-action pass, where he's got a set guy to throw to and can do so in rhythm, he's lights out.
But when it's 3rd and 6, and everyone knows he's got to stand in the pocket, go through progressions and step and make a good throw, there's still serious questions about him.
-
I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.
As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.
To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.
There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.
I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.
As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.
To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.
There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
-
I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.
As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.
To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.
There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
Bingo!
What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win?
-
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
Bingo!
What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win?
Bingo!
What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win?
Salmon? ?
-
I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.
As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.
To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.
There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
Well....we are 8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense. It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.
Baker runs that efficient offense. I will take his 8-3 record any day.
-
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
Well....we are 8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense. It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.
Baker runs that efficient offense. I will take his 8-3 record any day.
Well....we are 8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense. It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.
Baker runs that efficient offense. I will take his 8-3 record any day.
I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
