Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
630 59 21.5k 1
  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Missed you guys in the Tavern, but I had fun hanging with my dad. 

    "You chose wisely." - Some Old Knight

    But you could have learned a lot about swimming pools and regional differences in their off-season care... also Vegan pizza.

    Well... it was kind of a slow game. 😉

    @tour2ma said:

    Well... it was kind of a slow game. 

    LOL. Boy, it seriously was that. I was about to lose my lunch after Peoples-Jones once AGAIN tried to lose the game fielding a kickoff. He almost buried us against Dallas, and he probably should have killed us yesterday. Starting a drive from our own 2 after giving up a touchdown? Up only 3?! Yikes! 

    Thank goodness for Chubb and Hunt. ?

  • QB Index, Week 12

    https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-week-12-deshaun-watson-derek-carr-climb

    Rank 21
    1^
    Baker Mayfield
    Baker Mayfield
    Cleveland Browns · Year 3

    Individual Rank: Bhanpuri: 22 | Blair: 20 | Filice: 22 | Parr: 22

    2020 stats: 10 games | 60.8 pct | 1,850 pass yds | 7.0 ypa | 15 pass TD | 7 INT | 75 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 1 fumble lost

  • Nick Karns makes a solid case for Baker Mayfield...

    Nick Karns@karnsies817
    Both Jared Goff and Ryan Tannehill were considered giant busts before they got a coach who helped them develop within a run first offense. It's almost like players can improve.

    Give Baker Mayfield time.
  • Baker missing some throws lately. Please get consistent Baker

  • Kevin has his hands full hiding his QB each week..... Sooner, rather than later, Baker has to step up and prove he's the guy.

  • Baker missing some throws lately. Please get consistent Baker

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Baker missing some throws lately. Please get consistent Baker

    I think he missed several high, early...including a couple of potential TD throws.    But then settled down.  He finished 19/29    258 yds.  65.5%   2 TDs   -0- Ints.   Overall pretty efficient. 

  • I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.

    As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.

    To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.

    There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.

  • I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

  • I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    @hx214 said:

    I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    see the numbers I gave above for today's game.   Yes, should have had another 4 pts on a TD, plus, really another 3 on a coach's decision not to kick a FG ....but still very efficient. 

    but I am far, far, more worried about the defense and the Ward injury and Garrett situation. 

  • I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    @hx214 said:

    I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    This is what average QBs do. 

  • I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    @hx214 said:

    I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket. 

  • @hx214 said:

    I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket. 

    He is 8-3.   

    He completed 65.5%. 

    Doesn't seem like a mess to me.  He messed up a couple of throws...that is it. 

  • @hx214 said:

    I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.

    Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.

    It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.

    Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....

    Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket. 

    The announcers astutely mentioned this about Baker.

    When he's doing a play-action pass, where he's got a set guy to throw to and can do so in rhythm, he's lights out.

    But when it's 3rd and 6, and everyone knows he's got to stand in the pocket, go through progressions and step and make a good throw, there's still serious questions about him. 

  • I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.

    As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.

    To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.

    There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.

    @tour2ma said:

    I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.

    As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.

    To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.

    There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.

    It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

    I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

    ^ That to me is having to hide him. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.

    As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.

    To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.

    There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.

    It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

    I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

    ^ That to me is having to hide him. 

    @d-bone said:

    It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

    I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

    ^ That to me is having to hide him. 

    Bingo!

    What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win? 

  • @d-bone said:

    It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

    I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

    ^ That to me is having to hide him. 

    Bingo!

    What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Bingo!

    What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win? 

    Salmon? ?

  • @tour2ma said:

    I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.

    As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.

    To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.

    There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.

    It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

    I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

    ^ That to me is having to hide him. 

    @d-bone said:

    It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

    I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

    ^ That to me is having to hide him. 

    Well....we are  8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense.   It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.

    Baker runs that efficient offense.   I will take his 8-3 record any day. 

  • @d-bone said:

    It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads.  He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.

    I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB. 

    ^ That to me is having to hide him. 

    Well....we are  8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense.   It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.

    Baker runs that efficient offense.   I will take his 8-3 record any day. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....we are  8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense.   It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.

    Baker runs that efficient offense.   I will take his 8-3 record any day. 

    I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist. 

  • And I'll say it here like I did on The Tavern. 

    Baker is not a bad QB - he's just not a really good QB either. I'm hoping that what we are seeing this year is almost a "second rookie season" for Baker, that in many ways Stefanski and Co. have put training wheels on him this season, in an attempt to break him of bad habits... and next season we'll see Baker progress.

    Because if this is Baker Mayfield at his best, or close to best, well, we will be limited somewhat by him in the years coming. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well....we are  8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense.   It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.

    Baker runs that efficient offense.   I will take his 8-3 record any day. 

    I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist. 

    @d-bone said:

    I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist. 

    I guarantee you the Browns will not get such easy schedules as they have gotten this season. So many of the teams they've played this season have been just bad. 

    On paper, Baker had a really good game, but man alive, he's a big part of the reason the game came down to the very end. Easy passes that would have changed the game were missed.