Baker Mayfield
-
And I'll say it here like I did on The Tavern.
Baker is not a bad QB - he's just not a really good QB either. I'm hoping that what we are seeing this year is almost a "second rookie season" for Baker, that in many ways Stefanski and Co. have put training wheels on him this season, in an attempt to break him of bad habits... and next season we'll see Baker progress.
Because if this is Baker Mayfield at his best, or close to best, well, we will be limited somewhat by him in the years coming.
-
Well....we are 8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense. It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.
Baker runs that efficient offense. I will take his 8-3 record any day.
I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist.
I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist.
I guarantee you the Browns will not get such easy schedules as they have gotten this season. So many of the teams they've played this season have been just bad.
On paper, Baker had a really good game, but man alive, he's a big part of the reason the game came down to the very end. Easy passes that would have changed the game were missed.
-
I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist.
I guarantee you the Browns will not get such easy schedules as they have gotten this season. So many of the teams they've played this season have been just bad.
On paper, Baker had a really good game, but man alive, he's a big part of the reason the game came down to the very end. Easy passes that would have changed the game were missed.
I guarantee you the Browns will not get such easy schedules as they have gotten this season. So many of the teams they've played this season have been just bad.
On paper, Baker had a really good game, but man alive, he's a big part of the reason the game came down to the very end. Easy passes that would have changed the game were missed.
Yep, and that's the eye test thing I'm big on. Numbers are nice, but often they don't tell the entire story. I'm still enjoying 8-3 no matter how many cream puffs we've beaten, but I also know that 8-3 doesn't tell the entire story as January fast approaches.
^ That being said, as long as we can run the ball and if Baker can hit a just a few of those typical headscratcher plays that he misses each game, then anything is possible if we make the playoffs.
-
I guarantee you the Browns will not get such easy schedules as they have gotten this season. So many of the teams they've played this season have been just bad.
On paper, Baker had a really good game, but man alive, he's a big part of the reason the game came down to the very end. Easy passes that would have changed the game were missed.
Yep, and that's the eye test thing I'm big on. Numbers are nice, but often they don't tell the entire story. I'm still enjoying 8-3 no matter how many cream puffs we've beaten, but I also know that 8-3 doesn't tell the entire story as January fast approaches.
^ That being said, as long as we can run the ball and if Baker can hit a just a few of those typical headscratcher plays that he misses each game, then anything is possible if we make the playoffs.
Yep, and that's the eye test thing I'm big on. Numbers are nice, but often they don't tell the entire story. I'm still enjoying 8-3 no matter how many cream puffs we've beaten, but I also know that 8-3 doesn't tell the entire story as January fast approaches.
^ That being said, as long as we can run the ball and if Baker can hit a just a few of those typical headscratcher plays that he misses each game, then anything is possible if we make the playoffs.
Absolutely.
They've already blown my (and your) 6-10 prediction out of the water.
But it is possible to enjoy being 8-3 AND also question if your QB is the guy to lead you to serious Super Bowl contention in the future.
Also, I love the job Stefanski has done this season, all and all. Even with this schedule, most of the past Browns teams would probably be 4-7 or 5-6 at this point, tops.
-
Yep, and that's the eye test thing I'm big on. Numbers are nice, but often they don't tell the entire story. I'm still enjoying 8-3 no matter how many cream puffs we've beaten, but I also know that 8-3 doesn't tell the entire story as January fast approaches.
^ That being said, as long as we can run the ball and if Baker can hit a just a few of those typical headscratcher plays that he misses each game, then anything is possible if we make the playoffs.
Absolutely.
They've already blown my (and your) 6-10 prediction out of the water.
But it is possible to enjoy being 8-3 AND also question if your QB is the guy to lead you to serious Super Bowl contention in the future.
Also, I love the job Stefanski has done this season, all and all. Even with this schedule, most of the past Browns teams would probably be 4-7 or 5-6 at this point, tops.
Absolutely.
They've already blown my (and your) 6-10 prediction out of the water.
But it is possible to enjoy being 8-3 AND also question if your QB is the guy to lead you to serious Super Bowl contention in the future.
Also, I love the job Stefanski has done this season, all and all. Even with this schedule, most of the past Browns teams would probably be 4-7 or 5-6 at this point, tops.
It is so awesome to sit down and know I'm about to watch a Browns team that is organized, disciplined, coached well on game day (minus Kevin's 2 challenges today) and overall just looks like a real life, honest to God NFL team..... Last time was Mangini?
Kevin really is the MVP.
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
his feet have been questioned since his college ball days. Crossing & throwing off his heels too. I thought our OC made some valid changes early in the season? I saw them..(Look at 1st 2 games ?..than Bake went back to being Baker).. Early,...Balls got tipped & picked. Flat footed in pocket became picks & behind/ahead of receiver targets. The new early OL pass pro? twas fair at best..there went Bake back to his happy feet ?
Like most struggling early QB's ( Baker & Allen/Darnold?).... they settle back to their old habits ? ..I've seen over Amp'd Bake/over Hyped Bake at playcall.(twice today,that came wide open).. But when Bake tones it down & looks focused/settled/... than that softer ball grip shows up & he's throwing strikes & dimes..
Meanwhile...8-3.... Enjoying the hell out of this Team & the Baker Roller Coaster ? ride!!....Enjoy! That's my Quarterback Baker Mayfield ? ?
-
Feet aren’t set...everything is hurried. He’s a mess within the pocket.
He is 8-3.
He completed 65.5%.
Doesn't seem like a mess to me. He messed up a couple of throws...that is it.
He is 8-3.
He completed 65.5%.
Doesn't seem like a mess to me. He messed up a couple of throws...that is it.
He’s a mess WITHIN the pocket. Outside of the pocket you cut his reads in half it is a different story.
Credit to his mistake free play, his line, his play caller most days and his amazing running backs and good WR play for this 8-3 record. Sum it up The Browns are 8-3.
-
Well....we are 8-3...and it is not because we have a good defense. It is because we have a good running game and an efficient offense.
Baker runs that efficient offense. I will take his 8-3 record any day.
I like 8-3 too, but if Baker passes your eye test during a 4qtr game, then I need to get you in touch with my optometrist.
-
Watching The Bucs/Chiefs game right now......guess what?.......Brady and Mahomes have underthrown, overthrown, and missed wide open recievers.........it happens. Browns fans throw our QB's under the bus way too often! We're 8-3 people........... c'mon man! Our D is what deserves the concern.
-
I honestly don't get the whole "hiding" take. Baker is simply a piece in Stef's run-first scheme.
As long as game situations allow him to stick with the run, he will, asking Baker to first do no harm.
To me that's not hiding a QB... it's simply smart football.
There will come a day when our run game is shutdown and Baker has to win a shoot out. We've already seen a couple this season where he has done so, Colts and Cinci-rematch games. Not surprisingly in both we were missing Chubb.
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
First, you'd have a much easier time persuading me if Dutch weren't on your side. That said...
Personally I love it when circumstances force me to do what I prefer to do anyway.

-
Watching The Bucs/Chiefs game right now......guess what?.......Brady and Mahomes have underthrown, overthrown, and missed wide open recievers.........it happens. Browns fans throw our QB's under the bus way too often! We're 8-3 people........... c'mon man! Our D is what deserves the concern.
Watching The Bucs/Chiefs game right now......guess what?.......Brady and Mahomes have underthrown, overthrown, and missed wide open recievers.........it happens. Browns fans throw our QB's under the bus way too often! We're 8-3 people........... c'mon man! Our D is what deserves the concern.
No one here is throwing Baker under the bus. Some of us are simply more realistic and can honestly look at our QB without brown and orange colored lenses.
I root for the kid every snap and I'll be the first to say "Great throw kid", but I'm also the first to say his pocket presence and footwork were awful even though he somehow completed a 5yd pass - much less when he misses an easy touchdown throw.
Hopefully Baker improves, as Kevin is going nowhere for many years and he will have a stable coaching situation for the first time as a pro... it's all in Baker's control and either he will, or he won't.
-
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
First, you'd have a much easier time persuading me if Dutch weren't on your side. That said...
Personally I love it when circumstances force me to do what I prefer to do anyway.

-
Watching The Bucs/Chiefs game right now......guess what?.......Brady and Mahomes have underthrown, overthrown, and missed wide open recievers.........it happens. Browns fans throw our QB's under the bus way too often! We're 8-3 people........... c'mon man! Our D is what deserves the concern.
Watching The Bucs/Chiefs game right now......guess what?.......Brady and Mahomes have underthrown, overthrown, and missed wide open recievers.........it happens. Browns fans throw our QB's under the bus way too often! We're 8-3 people........... c'mon man! Our D is what deserves the concern.
Agree they all miss plays. I’ve said that before too
RIGHT NOW...if we are playing complementary football running the ball then play action and rolling pockets on other plays...he’s very capable. His level of competent football play fits in a small box.
If I can more positive about his play You have to be very pleased that he’s making fewer mistakes (turnovers).
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
In The Tavern today I compared Baker to a pitcher who only has a fastball.
A fastball is fine when a QB has throwing lanes and no under or trail coverage, but when he has to elevate the ball over a defender, be it at the LOS or downfield, or then he has to take something off the ball. This is where Baker tends to struggle. It explains most of the high throws, some of which were completions.
The wide open misses? I think the above explains the miss of Hooper(?) all alone in the endzone when Baker had pressure in his face. The other that jumps out at me, the short pass to Hunt, had no defender to blame. However, it was so short with both players running to the far sideline, that he had to take quite a bit off the throw and the result was as inaccurate as we've seen from Baker... a real wobbler.
Clearly Baker has to work on his changeup... but there is hope as there was touch in both his TD pass to Hooper and the near connection with Hunt down the far sideline... the one where Hunt got nicked by the FS.
-
It's the way Kevin is forced to call his entire offense. He knows the only success Baker has is on the move, off of PA, off of a stretch run and only looking at 1/2 of the field and maybe 2 reads. He has to limit the number of conventional drop back pocket passes, as well as PA pocket passes because of Baker's "limitations" in the pocket.
I'm not saying Kevin is calling too many runs.... hell, I would have called even more today. I'm just saying that he is limited to calling a certain kind of pass play because of his QB.
^ That to me is having to hide him.
Bingo!
What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win?
Bingo!
What does everyone's favorite lapsed vegan win?
Salmon? ?
I found it!! ? pardon us Tavern Vegan fans, while I share a Vegan moment from my Pandemic Pal Walter from Thursday night...
Proceed as you were in Texas ?.. and thanks for stopping by...
-
It's always hard to admit you are wrong... ?
Especially when I've had so little reason to do so...
-
can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
In The Tavern today I compared Baker to a pitcher who only has a fastball.
A fastball is fine when a QB has throwing lanes and no under or trail coverage, but when he has to elevate the ball over a defender, be it at the LOS or downfield, or then he has to take something off the ball. This is where Baker tends to struggle. It explains most of the high throws, some of which were completions.
The wide open misses? I think the above explains the miss of Hooper(?) all alone in the endzone when Baker had pressure in his face. The other that jumps out at me, the short pass to Hunt, had no defender to blame. However, it was so short with both players running to the far sideline, that he had to take quite a bit off the throw and the result was as inaccurate as we've seen from Baker... a real wobbler.
Clearly Baker has to work on his changeup... but there is hope as there was touch in both his TD pass to Hooper and the near connection with Hunt down the far sideline... the one where Hunt got nicked by the FS.
In The Tavern today I compared Baker to a pitcher who only has a fastball.
And that's Derick Anderson. Baker is not as good as Anderson was when he was good. And Baker is not as bad as Anderson was when he was bad. And Anderson many times was both in the same game. Baker is going to have to show that he can complete passes to the guys right in front of him or he's gonna notice the Browns drafting a QB in rounds 3-7.
-
In The Tavern today I compared Baker to a pitcher who only has a fastball.
And that's Derick Anderson. Baker is not as good as Anderson was when he was good. And Baker is not as bad as Anderson was when he was bad. And Anderson many times was both in the same game. Baker is going to have to show that he can complete passes to the guys right in front of him or he's gonna notice the Browns drafting a QB in rounds 3-7.
And that's Derick Anderson. Baker is not as good as Anderson was when he was good. And Baker is not as bad as Anderson was when he was bad. And Anderson many times was both in the same game. Baker is going to have to show that he can complete passes to the guys right in front of him or he's gonna notice the Browns drafting a QB in rounds 3-7.
Nothing was funnier than Anderson having to throw a check down... ?
-
It's also long past time we drop the nonsense about Baker being better without OBJ. OBJ is not in fact his Kryptonite.
Today, Baker showed his ability to airmail throws to people not named OBJ. He missed Hunt on a screen pass, he missed a walk-in TD throw to Higgie where the Jags had conveniently pulled the defense. This eliminates the bizarro complaint that somehow OBJ was the reason Baker missed/forced throws to other players.
Baker can be both terrible and impeccably accurate in the same series. Given the choice.. I'd rather have OBJ on the field also drawing great attention of the defense. The performance of Baker is just as good-not-great without OBJ as he is with OBJ.
As with all legit offenses, Chubb is the engine, the OL is key, and OBJ is the final piece of the puzzle. Baker is best when he has all 3.
-
I can't figure out the misses on the wide open throws.
Dude throws laser beams through windows the size of portholes on a ship 25-40 yards down the field on blanket coverage and misses wide open 5 yarders.
It has to be some kind of mental block. My 4 year old could have hit Higgins with her off hand on that blown TD pass.
Reminds me of Jon Lester for the Cubs throwing 90+ mph strikes but couldn't throw to first base....
This is what average QBs do.
This is what average QBs do.
Hmm... I'd say that the exact opposite really.....
Id say average QB's make the 5 yard wide open passes and miss the 25-40 yard 11 inch window throws......
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login