Hollywood Higgins
-
He not only helped us big, he proved that he is a PLAYMAKER making tough catches all over the field. The one that really stood out is when he had the awareness to know he wasn't touched and rolled out of bounds to stop the clock.
Man, you're not lying! That catch at the end to put us in FG range was absolutely nuts. First off, the throw was stupid good. Nice and high, but soft so Higgins could high-point it. Then he snares it and you're thinking, "OK...we're in FG range. Just take one shot, then kick it. We can win it in OT."
NOPE! How about the best pass of Baker's career to DPJ?!
Can we talk about Harrison Bryant, too? I mean, his 2nd TD was NOT easy to catch. Baker threw the hardest ball I've ever seen him throw, and Bryant somehow grabbed it. We heard all training camp that Harrison was blowing up and for once it wasn't smoke. It's FIRE.
How about the best pass of Baker's career to DPJ?!
If that's his "best pass", we're in for a lot of heartbreak.
I mean seriously, it was a great play, but Peeps had to slow, turn around and catch a ball that somehow missed the flailing arms of the CIN DB while toe-dragging the side of the endzone's midpoint.
A great pass would have dropped over Peep's shoulder at the back pylon just as it was likely drawn up, but instead it was short and to the outside.
Peeps made a great catch.
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
-
I think missing OBJ can impact the running game, meaning that teams wont feel the need to double team anyone like they would with OBJ. But I think this will mean Baker won't feel the need to say throw it OBJ just because he has single coverage, he will just go with the guy that is open. He looked like 2018 Baker last game. Lets see if this continues, the game this week is huge for playoff implications. The Raiders have a pretty soft schedule after playing us, so winning the game against them will be huge for tie breaker reasons.
-
How about the best pass of Baker's career to DPJ?!
If that's his "best pass", we're in for a lot of heartbreak.
I mean seriously, it was a great play, but Peeps had to slow, turn around and catch a ball that somehow missed the flailing arms of the CIN DB while toe-dragging the side of the endzone's midpoint.
A great pass would have dropped over Peep's shoulder at the back pylon just as it was likely drawn up, but instead it was short and to the outside.
Peeps made a great catch.
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
If that's his "best pass", we're in for a lot of heartbreak.
I mean seriously, it was a great play, but Peeps had to slow, turn around and catch a ball that somehow missed the flailing arms of the CIN DB while toe-dragging the side of the endzone's midpoint.
A great pass would have dropped over Peep's shoulder at the back pylon just as it was likely drawn up, but instead it was short and to the outside.
Peeps made a great catch.
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
That pass was on a dime.. Bake threw it only where DJP could get it..
-
I'm not going to get into the OBJ character debate, but I will say pretty confidently that he's pretty much damaged goods at this time, regardless if he's a good or a bad teammate.
When this season ends, I think he will have missed like 40% of his possible starts the last four seasons.
-
How about the best pass of Baker's career to DPJ?!
If that's his "best pass", we're in for a lot of heartbreak.
I mean seriously, it was a great play, but Peeps had to slow, turn around and catch a ball that somehow missed the flailing arms of the CIN DB while toe-dragging the side of the endzone's midpoint.
A great pass would have dropped over Peep's shoulder at the back pylon just as it was likely drawn up, but instead it was short and to the outside.
Peeps made a great catch.
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
Ehhh...I don't know man. He threw it early enough so the safety couldn't get there, held him for a second with his eyes toward the middle, and then dropped it right in the bucket to win the game. You also have to remember that DPJ let the ball come to him. He could've high-pointed it, but he chose to let the ball come to him. It worked out (obviously) but you'd like to see your WR go up and get it because the throw was there to grab, right over the flailing arms of the DB. This throw was labeled by SI's Pete Smith as a plus throw, in addition to the Njoku TD.
-
If that's his "best pass", we're in for a lot of heartbreak.
I mean seriously, it was a great play, but Peeps had to slow, turn around and catch a ball that somehow missed the flailing arms of the CIN DB while toe-dragging the side of the endzone's midpoint.
A great pass would have dropped over Peep's shoulder at the back pylon just as it was likely drawn up, but instead it was short and to the outside.
Peeps made a great catch.
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
That pass was on a dime.. Bake threw it only where DJP could get it..
-
-
If that's his "best pass", we're in for a lot of heartbreak.
I mean seriously, it was a great play, but Peeps had to slow, turn around and catch a ball that somehow missed the flailing arms of the CIN DB while toe-dragging the side of the endzone's midpoint.
A great pass would have dropped over Peep's shoulder at the back pylon just as it was likely drawn up, but instead it was short and to the outside.
Peeps made a great catch.
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
That pass was on a dime.. Bake threw it only where DJP could get it..
That pass was on a dime.. Bake threw it only where DJP could get it..
Uh-huh... Just like they drew it up? WR falling backwards? At best it was a nickel... and even at that I'm getting gypped out of a couple pennies...
Stick to Loan Me a Dime, Mr. Guitar-man...
"Somebody loan me a dime... I need to call my old time used to be..."
Boz Scaggs' best... and maybe the best 12 minutes you'll spend tonite.

-
Baker made a dozen throws during the game that were better than the gamewinner... not the least of which was the preceding high-pointed throw to Higgins.
Ehhh...I don't know man. He threw it early enough so the safety couldn't get there, held him for a second with his eyes toward the middle, and then dropped it right in the bucket to win the game. You also have to remember that DPJ let the ball come to him. He could've high-pointed it, but he chose to let the ball come to him. It worked out (obviously) but you'd like to see your WR go up and get it because the throw was there to grab, right over the flailing arms of the DB. This throw was labeled by SI's Pete Smith as a plus throw, in addition to the Njoku TD.
Ehhh...I don't know man. He threw it early enough so the safety couldn't get there, held him for a second with his eyes toward the middle, and then dropped it right in the bucket to win the game. You also have to remember that DPJ let the ball come to him. He could've high-pointed it, but he chose to let the ball come to him. It worked out (obviously) but you'd like to see your WR go up and get it because the throw was there to grab, right over the flailing arms of the DB. This throw was labeled by SI's Pete Smith as a plus throw, in addition to the Njoku TD.
I get your points, but how much longer could Baker have held that ball? As it was it was coming down 5 yards deep in the endzone...
As for the bucket... well... a perfect one doesn't require the receiver to turn around when he's a step behind his defender.
Pete who?
Apparently any TD pass is a "plus throw" to Mr. Pete.
-
That pass was on a dime.. Bake threw it only where DJP could get it..
Uh-huh... Just like they drew it up? WR falling backwards? At best it was a nickel... and even at that I'm getting gypped out of a couple pennies...
Stick to Loan Me a Dime, Mr. Guitar-man...
"Somebody loan me a dime... I need to call my old time used to be..."
Boz Scaggs' best... and maybe the best 12 minutes you'll spend tonite.

Uh-huh... Just like they drew it up? WR falling backwards? At best it was a nickel... and even at that I'm getting gypped out of a couple pennies...
Stick to Loan Me a Dime, Mr. Guitar-man...
"Somebody loan me a dime... I need to call my old time used to be..."
Boz Scaggs' best... and maybe the best 12 minutes you'll spend tonite.

Boz Scaggs is great.. I understand that hes from the Canton-Akron area I believe... Infact.. He actually brought members of Toto together to record on his records.. out of those sessions.. Toto formed...
-
Ehhh...I don't know man. He threw it early enough so the safety couldn't get there, held him for a second with his eyes toward the middle, and then dropped it right in the bucket to win the game. You also have to remember that DPJ let the ball come to him. He could've high-pointed it, but he chose to let the ball come to him. It worked out (obviously) but you'd like to see your WR go up and get it because the throw was there to grab, right over the flailing arms of the DB. This throw was labeled by SI's Pete Smith as a plus throw, in addition to the Njoku TD.
I get your points, but how much longer could Baker have held that ball? As it was it was coming down 5 yards deep in the endzone...
As for the bucket... well... a perfect one doesn't require the receiver to turn around when he's a step behind his defender.
Pete who?
Apparently any TD pass is a "plus throw" to Mr. Pete.
I get your points, but how much longer could Baker have held that ball? As it was it was coming down 5 yards deep in the endzone...
As for the bucket... well... a perfect one doesn't require the receiver to turn around when he's a step behind his defender.
Pete who?
Apparently any TD pass is a "plus throw" to Mr. Pete.
In the end who really cares.. We won the goddamn game... Thats thee most important stat of the day...
-
Perception matters...
I did not know the Toto thing... maybe because I was never a fan of theirs.
But Boz... started following him during his Steve Miller Band days. Boz left when Steve went commercial, Flew Like an Eagle and became a Joker. Boz wanted to stay true to the blues influences.
Saw Boz once in The Music Hall. Show was originally set for the Pub Aud, but did not sell enough tix to warrant its use, so they decided to use the other side of the stage and go festival seating in the Music Hall. The James Cotton Blues Band opened and did a really nice set. Then came Boz who was just touring with his band, Band. Steve Miller was the "headliner". Boz stayed on stage to play a couple of their good tunes. I left after Livin in the USA when Boz left the stage and they lowered a mirrorball.
Year was '73, give or take one... so most of his underappreciated Blues releases were out, but Slow Dancer, which started to bend in the direction that ultimately produced Silk Degrees, was not as yet. I own all those blues releases.... and SIlk Degrees as well. Even have a couple of fairly recent releases where he's revisiting some of his old blues and laying down some new blues as well. Decent stuff...
It was Canton, Ohio where Boz was born. But he grew up in a couple Texas towns before meeting Steve Miller in the Dallas High School they attended... and the rest is history...
-
Those links do not mention let alone describe OBJ's personality.
Your post is pure gossip.
Actually more like "pure conjecture"... but carry on...
Baker is comfortable with landry. He's comfortable with higgins. There's obviously something with obj that's uncomfortable. I dont know what and there's no point in me speculating, but it's there. In my mind it's clear the Cleveland Browns offense is more dangerous with odell beckham off the field, and higgins on it.
If it's pointless... count me in...

I'm sure there are a lot of factors, but time together/ familiarity has to be atop any list. Bake's in his 3rd year with Landry... 3rd with Higgins... 2nd with OBJ. A 1-season difference may not sound like much, but there was no camp this year and, if memory serves, OBJ missed most of the 2019 Camp with a high ankle sprain... I know he did not appear in the preseason.
So... Baker was not as familiar with OBJ. They simply could not anticipate what each other would do in every situation
Now add the intimidation factor, real or merely perceived, of keeping a star WR "happy" on a losing team to boot. That's what Freddie... not Baker, but Freddie... was facing. Mix in Freddie's penchant for calling unpracticed plays and there ya go... but that was 2019.
=============> The rest of this post is aimed less at you, Kid, than it is nickers and DBone, and other uninformed detractors... <====================
2020 was different. Obvious as hell to any with eyes and minds open... OBJ was happy... we were winning... he was contributing significantly to some, but not all, of those wins, yet he was happy.
Yes, he went off on the sideline in PTG, but that was passion to win... to win against good teams, not just those we were supposed to beat.
Sunday Bake's 1st throw was intended for OBJ. That play had been practiced all week... and it likely worked every time until it counted. Then it was horrendously underthrown. Does anyone think OBJ fucked up and ran too fast? Didn't think so...
Then this PITA, prima donna WR of ours blew out his knee trying to chase down the DB that made the pick. What a selfish bum making the INT play all about him...
Whatever improvement OBJ's absence made was delayed another 4 throws as Baker completed his opening 0 fer 5 stretch.
And that opening pass play? I think we may have seen it again reborn as our last offensive play...
=============> The rest of this post is aimed less at you, Kid, than it is nickers and D Bone, and other uninformed detractors... <====================
It has zero to do with being informed or uniformed. I simply have never been a fan of OBJ. I didn't like him in New York. I didn't like the trade. I don't like him as a Brown.... and for what it's worth, I didn't like Andre Rison either.
I'm betting the offense won't miss a beat, but that is pure speculation on my part..... just as it is for those that think the offense will suffer without him. It's all speculation based on whatever criteria the speculator is using to form their opinion.
When the season is over, then we can all speculate some more on just how much better the offense would've been had OBJ been there.... If they finish 2nd overall, there will be those that will speculate that they would've finished 1st with him. There will be others who will think they would've finished 5th. Sounds like fun and I can hardly wait.
I wish OBJ no ill will and never want to see anyone get hurt - and with that being said...
Next. Man. Up.
-
Those links do not mention let alone describe OBJ's personality.
Your post is pure gossip.
Actually more like "pure conjecture"... but carry on...
Baker is comfortable with landry. He's comfortable with higgins. There's obviously something with obj that's uncomfortable. I dont know what and there's no point in me speculating, but it's there. In my mind it's clear the Cleveland Browns offense is more dangerous with odell beckham off the field, and higgins on it.
If it's pointless... count me in...

I'm sure there are a lot of factors, but time together/ familiarity has to be atop any list. Bake's in his 3rd year with Landry... 3rd with Higgins... 2nd with OBJ. A 1-season difference may not sound like much, but there was no camp this year and, if memory serves, OBJ missed most of the 2019 Camp with a high ankle sprain... I know he did not appear in the preseason.
So... Baker was not as familiar with OBJ. They simply could not anticipate what each other would do in every situation
Now add the intimidation factor, real or merely perceived, of keeping a star WR "happy" on a losing team to boot. That's what Freddie... not Baker, but Freddie... was facing. Mix in Freddie's penchant for calling unpracticed plays and there ya go... but that was 2019.
=============> The rest of this post is aimed less at you, Kid, than it is nickers and DBone, and other uninformed detractors... <====================
2020 was different. Obvious as hell to any with eyes and minds open... OBJ was happy... we were winning... he was contributing significantly to some, but not all, of those wins, yet he was happy.
Yes, he went off on the sideline in PTG, but that was passion to win... to win against good teams, not just those we were supposed to beat.
Sunday Bake's 1st throw was intended for OBJ. That play had been practiced all week... and it likely worked every time until it counted. Then it was horrendously underthrown. Does anyone think OBJ fucked up and ran too fast? Didn't think so...
Then this PITA, prima donna WR of ours blew out his knee trying to chase down the DB that made the pick. What a selfish bum making the INT play all about him...
Whatever improvement OBJ's absence made was delayed another 4 throws as Baker completed his opening 0 fer 5 stretch.
And that opening pass play? I think we may have seen it again reborn as our last offensive play...
Yes, he went off on the sideline in PTG, but that was passion to win... to win against good teams, not just those we were supposed to beat.
I'll never understand [or accept] why some people demonstrate zero capacity to understand this.
Anyone who's ever played a team sport with top athletes knows they sometimes have these things happen. The two guys on my team I'd say took the rest of a scrimmage off every 6-8 weeks or thereabouts.. they'd think someone was guarding them too closely, took too much of an injury risk when laying out to make a play, etc. Not every star is Barry Sanders - but that doesn't diminish in any way their playmaking... or [and stay with me here] their ability to ask and receive forgiveness from the rest of the team for their foibles. You know, just like all relationships between humans. I'd bet OBJ has been taking a few practice plays off every 5-7 weeks because he got pissed at Ward.
Sports are VERY emotional.. pulling out your emotions is the entire goal of a pregame speech. There is no such passion without giving people a certain amount of rope. This understanding and forgiveness is built in the offseason doing team cardio at 7p [in my case, 11p] on offseason Sundays.
Yes, the Giants GM "set a policy" - and the results of that policy are trash because he's "led" his team all the way to 1 win by 1 point after how many years. So we do have dueling policies.. but not a character defect.
If anything, the character defect is held by Gettleman because he'd rather have an inflexible policy than wins..
-
No.
ODB was increasingly a scapegoat for frustrated, casual football I.Q. fans. Now that Baker has had a decent game without him, they stand ready to sacrifice said scapegoat.
We won without Wyatt Teller, are you trying to tell me we're better off without a premier interior lineman? No, you wouldn't.
Fact is, Cincy doesn't have the personnel, coaching and time necessary on the field to pull off a lot of the defensive looks the Ravens and Steelers gave Baker. Beckham being gone is NOT a net positive for this team by any stretch. Your primary outside vertical threat is now lost for the season. And at some point you will see defensive coaches make us pay for that.
So for us casual football I.Q fans, we can now surmise that the next time we play either Pittsburgh or Baltimore without OBJ, then we can expect to be held to say 4 points instead of the 6.5 with OBJ...
So for us casual football I.Q fans, we can now surmise that the next time we play either Pittsburgh or Baltimore without OBJ, then we can expect to be held to say 4 points instead of the 6.5 with OBJ...
Even if get held to 0 points, we wouldn't have a new OBJ thread by Icecube on Sunday afternoon, and I would call that an improvement.
-
I truly do not understand this comment.
In the NFL single covered is as close to "open" as receivers get most plays.
I could have worded it better. My point was, the first throw in the last game he had OBJ 1 on 1 on the outside, but he wasn't really open. I think he was predetermined to throw there because it was OBJ rather than find another receiver who was more open so to speak.
-
I truly do not understand this comment.
In the NFL single covered is as close to "open" as receivers get most plays.
I could have worded it better. My point was, the first throw in the last game he had OBJ 1 on 1 on the outside, but he wasn't really open. I think he was predetermined to throw there because it was OBJ rather than find another receiver who was more open so to speak.
I could have worded it better. My point was, the first throw in the last game he had OBJ 1 on 1 on the outside, but he wasn't really open. I think he was predetermined to throw there because it was OBJ rather than find another receiver who was more open so to speak.
How much time do you think a QB has to find someone "open"...? Open is based on coverage, not so much in terms of separation, but what you're reading vis a vis the concept being executed. When a QB see's a certain coverage shell and personnel alignment, he's going to scratch off reads in his own head just based on that alone the majority of the time.
-
I truly do not understand this comment.
In the NFL single covered is as close to "open" as receivers get most plays.
I could have worded it better. My point was, the first throw in the last game he had OBJ 1 on 1 on the outside, but he wasn't really open. I think he was predetermined to throw there because it was OBJ rather than find another receiver who was more open so to speak.
I could have worded it better. My point was, the first throw in the last game he had OBJ 1 on 1 on the outside, but he wasn't really open. I think he was predetermined to throw there because it was OBJ rather than find another receiver who was more open so to speak.
OBJ was about as open on Baker's 1st pass as Peeps was on Baker's last.
tia... if you look at the all-22, I'm curious if the above two plays were the same...
-
I could have worded it better. My point was, the first throw in the last game he had OBJ 1 on 1 on the outside, but he wasn't really open. I think he was predetermined to throw there because it was OBJ rather than find another receiver who was more open so to speak.
OBJ was about as open on Baker's 1st pass as Peeps was on Baker's last.
tia... if you look at the all-22, I'm curious if the above two plays were the same...
OBJ was about as open on Baker's 1st pass as Peeps was on Baker's last.
tia... if you look at the all-22, I'm curious if the above two plays were the same...
Also tia, I read a tweet that said it appeared Baker had to move to his second read like twice all game.
If you do look at the All-22, I wonder if this is true.
-
I could have worded it better. My point was, the first throw in the last game he had OBJ 1 on 1 on the outside, but he wasn't really open. I think he was predetermined to throw there because it was OBJ rather than find another receiver who was more open so to speak.
OBJ was about as open on Baker's 1st pass as Peeps was on Baker's last.
tia... if you look at the all-22, I'm curious if the above two plays were the same...
OBJ was about as open on Baker's 1st pass as Peeps was on Baker's last.
tia... if you look at the all-22, I'm curious if the above two plays were the same...
Also tia, I read a tweet that said it appeared Baker had to move to his second read like twice all game.
If you do look at the All-22, I wonder if this is true.
More on that tomorrow when it's available.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login