Skip to content

Is time bringing OBJ question more into focus?

The Browns Board
63 23 2.1k 1
  • @dutch-oven said:

    Baker "hummed along" without OBJ his rookie season, when he broke the rookie record for touchdown passes. 

    He then regressed from that last season with OBJ on the team,  Freddie Kitchens   and was pretty mediocre this season with him.   Tough defenses early on in the schedule

    Then he immediately has the game of his career in the game OBJ has a season-ending injury.   Bengals defense

    Perhaps there's a chemistry problem with Baker when OBJ is on the field.  Or, perhaps he knows how good OBJ is and figures, if all else fails, force it towards OBJ and he might make a great catch for you.  And as long as he's putting the ball where it shouldn't be intercepted, then it's better than taking a sack or throwing it into the stands.  As I recall, I felt he tried to force it too much to Landry in his rookie year....but that would stand to reason if he was your best 'great catch' type of guy.

    I just can't (almost refuse) to believe that we're a better team with lesser talent.  (so long as that talent isn't a dick...and OBJ just seems like one, but isn't, according to any player he has played with)

    @orion said:

    I just can't (almost refuse) to believe that we're a better team with lesser talent.  (so long as that talent isn't a dick...and OBJ just seems like one, but isn't, according to any player he has played with)

    I get it, it doesn't make sense.

    But man, the numbers seem to say it could very well be true. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think a bigger issue was simply Baker adapting to the Stefanski system than "worrying about OBJ".    I wish we had him back in there now that Baker seems to be so much better inculcated with the system.  I believe with him it would hum right along. 

    Baker "hummed along" without OBJ his rookie season, when he broke the rookie record for touchdown passes. 

    He then regressed from that last season with OBJ on the team, and was pretty mediocre this season with him. 

    Then he immediately has the game of his career in the game OBJ has a season-ending injury. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Baker "hummed along" without OBJ his rookie season, when he broke the rookie record for touchdown passes. 

    He then regressed from that last season with OBJ on the team, and was pretty mediocre this season with him. 

    Then he immediately has the game of his career in the game OBJ has a season-ending injury. 

    What?  Have you become Ice Cube?   You forget that last year there was the Fat Freddy factor. 

  • @orion said:

    I just can't (almost refuse) to believe that we're a better team with lesser talent.  (so long as that talent isn't a dick...and OBJ just seems like one, but isn't, according to any player he has played with)

    I get it, it doesn't make sense.

    But man, the numbers seem to say it could very well be true. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I get it, it doesn't make sense.

    But man, the numbers seem to say it could very well be true. 

    Don't bring up numbers, facts and other ridiculous stuff in an emotionally based thread you dumbass.  

    I like his blonde hair. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Baker "hummed along" without OBJ his rookie season, when he broke the rookie record for touchdown passes. 

    He then regressed from that last season with OBJ on the team, and was pretty mediocre this season with him. 

    Then he immediately has the game of his career in the game OBJ has a season-ending injury. 

    What?  Have you become Ice Cube?   You forget that last year there was the Fat Freddy factor. 

    @the-gipper said:

    What?  Have you become Ice Cube?   You forget that last year there was the Fat Freddy factor. 

    Or the fact that Baker showed up to his second season fat and unprepared...

    Like I've said before, there's definitely shades of grey to all of this. There can be some legit reasons for the difference between his production with and without OBJ.

    But there's a big difference.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think a bigger issue was simply Baker adapting to the Stefanski system than "worrying about OBJ".    I wish we had him back in there now that Baker seems to be so much better inculcated with the system.  I believe with him it would hum right along. 

    I totally agree. I think we'd have a deadly deep threat that with OBJ. I really do. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I totally agree. I think we'd have a deadly deep threat that with OBJ. I really do. 

    Why does Baker average almost 2 yards an attempt more WITHOUT OBJ this season then?

    That includes three horrible weather games you were losing your shit over. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I totally agree. I think we'd have a deadly deep threat that with OBJ. I really do. 

    Why does Baker average almost 2 yards an attempt more WITHOUT OBJ this season then?

    That includes three horrible weather games you were losing your shit over. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Why does Baker average almost 2 yards an attempt more WITHOUT OBJ this season then?

    That includes three horrible weather games you were losing your shit over. 

    I get it. I really do. The only rebuttal is that Baker is simply more comfortable in the offense, but it's a strong argument. Baker is seeing the field better, trusting his eyes, and making better decisions. I totally get what you're saying, and you could be right, but I just don't think a QB gets better by not having a guy like OBJ. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    What?  Have you become Ice Cube?   You forget that last year there was the Fat Freddy factor. 

    Or the fact that Baker showed up to his second season fat and unprepared...

    Like I've said before, there's definitely shades of grey to all of this. There can be some legit reasons for the difference between his production with and without OBJ.

    But there's a big difference.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Or the fact that Baker showed up to his second season fat and unprepared...

    Like I've said before, there's definitely shades of grey to all of this. There can be some legit reasons for the difference between his production with and without OBJ.

    But there's a big difference.

    The Stefanski factor, to me is by far the more important, impactful factor. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think a bigger issue was simply Baker adapting to the Stefanski system than "worrying about OBJ".    I wish we had him back in there now that Baker seems to be so much better inculcated with the system.  I believe with him it would hum right along. 

    I totally agree. I think we'd have a deadly deep threat that with OBJ. I really do. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I totally agree. I think we'd have a deadly deep threat that with OBJ. I really do. 

    The O did nothing with him playing in games, blew up since he's been out. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I totally agree. I think we'd have a deadly deep threat that with OBJ. I really do. 

    The O did nothing with him playing in games, blew up since he's been out. 

    @icecube said:

    The O did nothing with him playing in games, blew up since he's been out. 

    Your opinion is not wanted on this subject.  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I totally agree. I think we'd have a deadly deep threat that with OBJ. I really do. 

    The O did nothing with him playing in games, blew up since he's been out. 

    @icecube said:

    The O did nothing with him playing in games, blew up since he's been out. 

    Yeah those 49 points vs. Dallas really sucked... as did the 32 vs. the Colts... 34 vs. WSH... and 35 vs. Cinci...