Skip to content

2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.

The Browns Board
402 20 13.5k
  • @texasag1969 said:

    I see that Collins of Tulsa won for LBs. He may still be on the board when we pick. And there is my Aggie TE up for Mackey Award, the soph I was telling you about for 2022 draft was in the final 3 along with two Juniors. Pitts deserved it and I doubt he will still be there past top 10. And Safety Moehrig won the DBs award. He might still be there for us, a big "Might" though. Surprised he got it over Surtain.

    Zaven Collins - he's that good. I was watching him keenly in their last game - and he didn't get to do much. Made a few tackles, once went into the backfield on a rush - he was on the right side, the qb rolled out to his right, and Collins forced him out of bounds on the far side of the field. I was hoping to get a better look at the bowl game, but nope.

       What was frustrating - the opposing team ran away from his side most of the game. It was amazing. They threw downfield, or ran up the middle, or to their right. In other games, Collins reminds me a little bit of Clay Mathews. Mathews is 6'3", 255. Collins is 6'4", 260, and has excellent instincts. And he plays sideline to sideline.

       Collins just this past season, had 4 sacks, 2 fumbles, 4 interceptions, and 2 TD's.

    he can really move too -

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    Clay Mathews. Mathews is 6'3", 255. Collins is 6'4", 260,

    tia's gonna hate this, but...

    In Mathews' day we ran a pure 3-4 and at Tulsa they run a 3-3-5. So I have to ask... is he a fit for us?

    Granted... we can change our D to use him, but we are going to need to sign/draft with that in mind.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Clay Mathews. Mathews is 6'3", 255. Collins is 6'4", 260,

    tia's gonna hate this, but...

    In Mathews' day we ran a pure 3-4 and at Tulsa they run a 3-3-5. So I have to ask... is he a fit for us?

    Granted... we can change our D to use him, but we are going to need to sign/draft with that in mind.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    tia's gonna hate this, but...

    In Mathews' day we ran a pure 3-4 and at Tulsa they run a 3-3-5. So I have to ask... is he a fit for us?

    Granted... we can change our D to use him, but we are going to need to sign/draft with that in mind.

    MRW I shake my head in disgust - GIF on Imgur

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Clay Mathews. Mathews is 6'3", 255. Collins is 6'4", 260,

    tia's gonna hate this, but...

    In Mathews' day we ran a pure 3-4 and at Tulsa they run a 3-3-5. So I have to ask... is he a fit for us?

    Granted... we can change our D to use him, but we are going to need to sign/draft with that in mind.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @tour2ma said:

    tia's gonna hate this, but...

    In Mathews' day we ran a pure 3-4 and at Tulsa they run a 3-3-5. So I have to ask... is he a fit for us?

    Granted... we can change our D to use him, but we are going to need to sign/draft with that in mind.

    Zaven is a SAM backer in whatever system you put him.  If he does check in at 260 (a VERY heavy off-ball linebacker) then the tape doesn't show it.  Because he moves pretty decent for somebody at that weight from the little I've seen.

    @calfoxwc said:

       However - there is a good bit of talk - about the broncos drafting Owusu with their overall ninth pick.

       dammit.

    Watched the ND - Clemson and Bama games.

    Shades of how Hitman Harry was used at ND and Minny, both the good and the not-so-good.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    tia-A&M's DT Bobby Brown has opted to go pro.

    Tour-so has your darkhorse Kellen Mond-QB

  • tia-A&M's DT Bobby Brown has opted to go pro.

    Tour-so has your darkhorse Kellen Mond-QB

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    tia-A&M's DT Bobby Brown has opted to go pro.

    Tour-so has your darkhorse Kellen Mond-QB

    Naturally.

  • tia-A&M's DT Bobby Brown has opted to go pro.

    Tour-so has your darkhorse Kellen Mond-QB

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Tour-so has your darkhorse Kellen Mond-QB

    Strike while the iron's hot...

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63

    If you do any wolverines, tag me. Always enjoy reading your thoughts. 

    I saw Paye mocked to us a few times early, but recently he's been mocked as high as #4. That seems insane, but I guess there really isn't a sure fire pass rusher this year. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    And speaking of Tupa. He had one memorable moment as an NFL QB! 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic

    Not so much a prospect but.. If we need to save $$ to resign other guys, maybe we could get WFC's Heinicke as QB2 next season. 

    He's at most 1/4th the price of Keenum's 6m annual in 2021 and 2022

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Tom Tupa - I believe - is the first player to score a 2pt conversion too... 

  • Tom Tupa - I believe - is the first player to score a 2pt conversion too... 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Tom Tupa - I believe - is the first player to score a 2pt conversion too... 

    He was.   He even got a nickname from it   Tom  Tupoint Tupa. 

  • Not so much a prospect but.. If we need to save $$ to resign other guys, maybe we could get WFC's Heinicke as QB2 next season. 

    He's at most 1/4th the price of Keenum's 6m annual in 2021 and 2022

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    Not so much a prospect but.. If we need to save $$ to resign other guys, maybe we could get WFC's Heinicke as QB2 next season. 

    He's at most 1/4th the price of Keenum's 6m annual in 2021 and 2022

    I didn't get a chance to watch that game last night.  Somebody at breakfast this morning said "Chris Heineke"...   and I had the most confused look.

    I honestly thought they meant FSU boy from back in the day.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Chris Weinke?

    We are never going to get a shot at Heinicke. WSH will sign him and his price will go up.

    And that's fine by me..

    The man played with lots of guile and cool last nite... very admirable. Showed understanding and anticipation way beyond his experience level.

    However, his average-at-best arm needs to be in a dome as much as possible.

  • Chris Weinke?

    We are never going to get a shot at Heinicke. WSH will sign him and his price will go up.

    And that's fine by me..

    The man played with lots of guile and cool last nite... very admirable. Showed understanding and anticipation way beyond his experience level.

    However, his average-at-best arm needs to be in a dome as much as possible.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Chris Weinke?

    We are never going to get a shot at Heinicke. WSH will sign him and his price will go up.

    And that's fine by me..

    The man played with lots of guile and cool last nite... very admirable. Showed understanding and anticipation way beyond his experience level.

    However, his average-at-best arm needs to be in a dome as much as possible.

    See, I knew the same sounded about the same.  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    I know WR isn't an enormous need, but the Browns really could use a big, physical WR like A.J. Brown of Tennessee, Chase Claypool of Pittsburgh, or T.J. Metcalf of Seattle. (Then again, not knowing how much longer OBJ will be on the team, they could also use a speedster who can blow the top off defenses)

    Who in the upcoming draft fits this Brown/Claypool/Metcalf bill? 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    There's a kid at Arkansas St.... 6'3, 220-ish who runs maybe a 4.5. Name is Jon Adams, Jr.

    At one point he was in the Biletnikoff discussion, but hurt his hip which may drop him from Day 2 to Day 3 of draft.

    He was Sun Belt's 2020 OPOY.

    image.png.9576cdf23dd51c04a524ad2031104890.png

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Another thought:

    I'd like to see the Browns with two new starting LBs next year. One by the draft, one by free agency.

    What LB we have on our roster now should get the third starting LB spot? The reason I ask this on a draft thread is this will allow me (and others) to figure out what type of LB the Browns should target in the draft. 

  • Really Nice read Tia! ^^ 

    I'm just now at the beginning of the process of finding out what type of LB Berry may draft..

    SAM 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 50 Phillips, Jacob 20/3            
    MLB 93 Goodson, BJ U/GB 55 Davis, Tae W/NYG            
    WLB 51 Wilson, Mack 19/5 56 SMITH, MALCOLM SF20 52 Lee, Elijah W/Det

    Seems to me that the Mack Wilson position, maybe more of the needed spot at the Will..

    I've been watching Surratt a few years now, living in ACC country.. Chazz looks to be the hybrid Will LB that the new NFL passing game calls for.. Chazz has shown he can mirror route breaks & can stay with a Vertical route fairly well.. He's the same height as M.Wilson was coming into the league, but I think Chazz's arm length maybe longer & may run mid 4.5's.. pending the extra weight bulk he puts on pre-combine.. Surratt's not a arm tackler.. He has a knack & quick's of taking good tackling angles.. and He don't fall off of many ? 

    I'm really getting excited to watch the big bowl games with Clemson's MLB redneck James Skalski?.. let me know what ya see & think of sitting Skalski behind Goodson?    

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @gumby73 said:

    Really Nice read Tia! ^^ 

    I'm just now at the beginning of the process of finding out what type of LB Berry may draft..

    SAM 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 50 Phillips, Jacob 20/3            
    MLB 93 Goodson, BJ U/GB 55 Davis, Tae W/NYG            
    WLB 51 Wilson, Mack 19/5 56 SMITH, MALCOLM SF20 52 Lee, Elijah W/Det

    Seems to me that the Mack Wilson position, maybe more of the needed spot at the Will..

    I've been watching Surratt a few years now, living in ACC country.. Chazz looks to be the hybrid Will LB that the new NFL passing game calls for.. Chazz has shown he can mirror route breaks & can stay with a Vertical route fairly well.. He's the same height as M.Wilson was coming into the league, but I think Chazz's arm length maybe longer & may run mid 4.5's.. pending the extra weight bulk he puts on pre-combine.. Surratt's not a arm tackler.. He has a knack & quick's of taking good tackling angles.. and He don't fall off of many ? 

    I'm really getting excited to watch the big bowl games with Clemson's MLB redneck James Skalski?.. let me know what ya see & think of sitting Skalski behind Goodson?    

    I started here Dutch^^    still in processing mode

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Here's Adam's highlight tape from mid-Dec.

    Almost exclusively lines up at LWR. Routes primarily are go and Post with back-shoulders off the former, but there are a couple quick slants. At one point did run an Out and in replay you can see that it is badly rounded off, so agility is a question mark. Also not a lot of YAC... doesn't appear that he loves contact.

    Hands? Look pretty good, but he does body catch a good bit. Definitively has some hops for 50/50 balls and knows how to box out smaller CBs.

    Best thing I see is his adjustment to the ball. Pretty good body control.

    And somewhere in the 6:00 minute area his QB takes off to his side and Adams plants not one, but two DBs on the turf blocking for him.

    Initial take... there's a a good sized athlete here with not a lot of polish. Feels Day 3-ish... but need to see some full game tape.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Really Nice read Tia! ^^ 

    I'm just now at the beginning of the process of finding out what type of LB Berry may draft..

    SAM 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 50 Phillips, Jacob 20/3            
    MLB 93 Goodson, BJ U/GB 55 Davis, Tae W/NYG            
    WLB 51 Wilson, Mack 19/5 56 SMITH, MALCOLM SF20 52 Lee, Elijah W/Det

    Seems to me that the Mack Wilson position, maybe more of the needed spot at the Will..

    I've been watching Surratt a few years now, living in ACC country.. Chazz looks to be the hybrid Will LB that the new NFL passing game calls for.. Chazz has shown he can mirror route breaks & can stay with a Vertical route fairly well.. He's the same height as M.Wilson was coming into the league, but I think Chazz's arm length maybe longer & may run mid 4.5's.. pending the extra weight bulk he puts on pre-combine.. Surratt's not a arm tackler.. He has a knack & quick's of taking good tackling angles.. and He don't fall off of many ? 

    I'm really getting excited to watch the big bowl games with Clemson's MLB redneck James Skalski?.. let me know what ya see & think of sitting Skalski behind Goodson?    

    I started here Dutch^^    still in processing mode

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @gumby73 said:

    I started here Dutch^^    still in processing mode

    I'm looking forward to seeing more of Phillips at the Mike and am curious how Goodson with his length would fair at the SAM.

    Thoughts?