2021 'Who are you watching?' NFL prospect thread.
-
Hmm.. Even Kollmann may occasionally get one wrong..
to both Watts seems ambitious at best. -
Hmm.. Even Kollmann may occasionally get one wrong..
to both Watts seems ambitious at best.Hmm.. Even Kollmann may occasionally get one wrong..
to both Watts seems ambitious at best.Player comparisons aren't such a bad thing. Helps maybe build a profile on what you're attempting to project. I just said that Kwity Paye brings Trent Cole to mind.
Never watched Phillips, but I'll put him on the list.
-
Hmm.. Even Kollmann may occasionally get one wrong..
to both Watts seems ambitious at best.Player comparisons aren't such a bad thing. Helps maybe build a profile on what you're attempting to project. I just said that Kwity Paye brings Trent Cole to mind.
Never watched Phillips, but I'll put him on the list.
Player comparisons aren't such a bad thing. Helps maybe build a profile on what you're attempting to project. I just said that Kwity Paye brings Trent Cole to mind.
Never watched Phillips, but I'll put him on the list.
How about putting Bama's DT Barmore on that list. I have a feeling we may be interested after letting Ogunjobi go. After watching what TBs front 4 did, I think we could do worse in building this D inside out.
-
Player comparisons aren't such a bad thing. Helps maybe build a profile on what you're attempting to project. I just said that Kwity Paye brings Trent Cole to mind.
Never watched Phillips, but I'll put him on the list.
How about putting Bama's DT Barmore on that list. I have a feeling we may be interested after letting Ogunjobi go. After watching what TBs front 4 did, I think we could do worse in building this D inside out.
How about putting Bama's DT Barmore on that list. I have a feeling we may be interested after letting Ogunjobi go. After watching what TBs front 4 did, I think we could do worse in building this D inside out.
Will do.
-
-
How about putting Bama's DT Barmore on that list. I have a feeling we may be interested after letting Ogunjobi go. After watching what TBs front 4 did, I think we could do worse in building this D inside out.
Will do.
-
Linky link? I've honestly read no other opinions on him or pretty much all of these other players save from some of the posters on this board.
Curious as to what other minds arrived at. Minds who get paid for their opinions. =(
More a reference to where Jones falls in many rankings, e.g., CBS at #61, than detailed analyses.
Oddly TDN has him ranked much lower, in the 120s, but has this fairly glowing breakdown...
Pittsburgh defensive end Patrick Jones II takes his talents to the NFL after a strong junior and senior campaign where he racked up a combined 24 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks in 22 games. Jones II is a balanced defender, capable of making an impact as a pass rusher and run defender but he doesn’t offer much in the way of scheme-versatility—he’s a 4-3 defensive end with almost no experience in a standup role, dropping in coverage, or playing on the interior. As a pass rusher, Jones II is hard-charging out of his stance and brings a good variety of moves to the table. He’s a smart run defender that competes for his gap, processes quickly, and understands how to counter blocks. The concerns with Jones II entering the next level is his lean frame, modest length, and the need to continue developing his hand technique. Jones II has the upside to start in the NFL and command a majority of the snaps in an even front defense.
-
Linky link? I've honestly read no other opinions on him or pretty much all of these other players save from some of the posters on this board.
Curious as to what other minds arrived at. Minds who get paid for their opinions. =(
More a reference to where Jones falls in many rankings, e.g., CBS at #61, than detailed analyses.
Oddly TDN has him ranked much lower, in the 120s, but has this fairly glowing breakdown...
Pittsburgh defensive end Patrick Jones II takes his talents to the NFL after a strong junior and senior campaign where he racked up a combined 24 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks in 22 games. Jones II is a balanced defender, capable of making an impact as a pass rusher and run defender but he doesn’t offer much in the way of scheme-versatility—he’s a 4-3 defensive end with almost no experience in a standup role, dropping in coverage, or playing on the interior. As a pass rusher, Jones II is hard-charging out of his stance and brings a good variety of moves to the table. He’s a smart run defender that competes for his gap, processes quickly, and understands how to counter blocks. The concerns with Jones II entering the next level is his lean frame, modest length, and the need to continue developing his hand technique. Jones II has the upside to start in the NFL and command a majority of the snaps in an even front defense.
-
Looking forward to that. He's a force as both ND and OSU can attest.
Edit: Here is a start.
I appreciate the link but as a general rule of thumb, I never watch somebody else's material or breakdown when going through my initial prospect viewings. I want to walk into something with an open mind and a clean slate, Just let the film speak for itself. I find this way I avoid outside influence that might slip in and influence my opinion for the better or worse before I can formulate my own thoughts.
-
Sleeper here, insane combine numbers and versatile D lineman apparently
Milton Williams
6’3”
286 lbs
32 bench reps
35” vert
4.63 40 yard dash
-
If you enjoy explanations of OL technique nuance, as I know nearly 5 of you do, you'll enjoy this
. -
This was my first viewing of Barmore.
Initial thoughts.
- ND acquitted themselves very nicely in this game on the IOL.
- While CB is incredibly strong and showed some anchor against an elite IOL, he also looked to play a bit high consistently which fucked him over hard. He got out leveraged a good bit.
- Because of his higher pad level, he seems to fire off a little slower but good news is that his arm extension is solid and his hands work well. They're heavy and he's a brawler. But he doesn't seem to misplace them by getting into the OL face.
- His lateral play and agility is.... lacking. Granted I understand that isn't all his game but getting across his face wasn't an overly difficult task for ND.
- Pocket push against single is very hit or miss. High pads don't help.
- When he does win the inside shoulder he walks people back, but does so simply because he just overpowers lineman. Not easy, so it just displays his strength. Even when he does drive back, his balance and feet aren't always under him so you see him being "re-directed" by the ND OL.
I have to ask what I'm seeing here that would make him so elite that I would consider him 1st round? A fine player? Absolutely. Potentially great? Sure. But his ceiling looks Linval Joseph-ish.... So if you aren't that transcendent talent at IDL, is my 1st round investment worth it? Will he be someone that helps this team get over the hump come playoff time? Keep in mind that Linval was a 2nd round pick. CB's physically overpowering play style is not all that dissimilar from Javon Kinlaw who had a very up and down year with SF. By the end of this game the ND line was pretty worn down but the Bama defense rotates their line like a swarm. Whoever #48 is did some serious damage in that rotation when CB wasn't getting snaps. I'm going to have to watch more and I do remember him playing well against tOSU. But my own team building philosophy and importance placed where I would hypothetically draft IDL might not allow me to be completely enamored with Barmore.
He's disruptive enough to merit further watch though and that is absolutely what I will be doing.
-
Whether it is 49ers or Falcons- both are great spots for Justin Fields. I think he needs a year to make up for his lack of college Reps. But I think he develops down the road.
I knew he was going to wow during the workout.
-
This was my first viewing of Barmore.
Initial thoughts.
- ND acquitted themselves very nicely in this game on the IOL.
- While CB is incredibly strong and showed some anchor against an elite IOL, he also looked to play a bit high consistently which fucked him over hard. He got out leveraged a good bit.
- Because of his higher pad level, he seems to fire off a little slower but good news is that his arm extension is solid and his hands work well. They're heavy and he's a brawler. But he doesn't seem to misplace them by getting into the OL face.
- His lateral play and agility is.... lacking. Granted I understand that isn't all his game but getting across his face wasn't an overly difficult task for ND.
- Pocket push against single is very hit or miss. High pads don't help.
- When he does win the inside shoulder he walks people back, but does so simply because he just overpowers lineman. Not easy, so it just displays his strength. Even when he does drive back, his balance and feet aren't always under him so you see him being "re-directed" by the ND OL.
I have to ask what I'm seeing here that would make him so elite that I would consider him 1st round? A fine player? Absolutely. Potentially great? Sure. But his ceiling looks Linval Joseph-ish.... So if you aren't that transcendent talent at IDL, is my 1st round investment worth it? Will he be someone that helps this team get over the hump come playoff time? Keep in mind that Linval was a 2nd round pick. CB's physically overpowering play style is not all that dissimilar from Javon Kinlaw who had a very up and down year with SF. By the end of this game the ND line was pretty worn down but the Bama defense rotates their line like a swarm. Whoever #48 is did some serious damage in that rotation when CB wasn't getting snaps. I'm going to have to watch more and I do remember him playing well against tOSU. But my own team building philosophy and importance placed where I would hypothetically draft IDL might not allow me to be completely enamored with Barmore.
He's disruptive enough to merit further watch though and that is absolutely what I will be doing.
This was my first viewing of Barmore.
Initial thoughts.
- ND acquitted themselves very nicely in this game on the IOL.
- While CB is incredibly strong and showed some anchor against an elite IOL, he also looked to play a bit high consistently which fucked him over hard. He got out leveraged a good bit.
- Because of his higher pad level, he seems to fire off a little slower but good news is that his arm extension is solid and his hands work well. They're heavy and he's a brawler. But he doesn't seem to misplace them by getting into the OL face.
- His lateral play and agility is.... lacking. Granted I understand that isn't all his game but getting across his face wasn't an overly difficult task for ND.
- Pocket push against single is very hit or miss. High pads don't help.
- When he does win the inside shoulder he walks people back, but does so simply because he just overpowers lineman. Not easy, so it just displays his strength. Even when he does drive back, his balance and feet aren't always under him so you see him being "re-directed" by the ND OL.
I have to ask what I'm seeing here that would make him so elite that I would consider him 1st round? A fine player? Absolutely. Potentially great? Sure. But his ceiling looks Linval Joseph-ish.... So if you aren't that transcendent talent at IDL, is my 1st round investment worth it? Will he be someone that helps this team get over the hump come playoff time? Keep in mind that Linval was a 2nd round pick. CB's physically overpowering play style is not all that dissimilar from Javon Kinlaw who had a very up and down year with SF. By the end of this game the ND line was pretty worn down but the Bama defense rotates their line like a swarm. Whoever #48 is did some serious damage in that rotation when CB wasn't getting snaps. I'm going to have to watch more and I do remember him playing well against tOSU. But my own team building philosophy and importance placed where I would hypothetically draft IDL might not allow me to be completely enamored with Barmore.
He's disruptive enough to merit further watch though and that is absolutely what I will be doing.
One thing I noticed especially through the 1st half was that he drew a ton of double teams. If we take him they will not be able to do that against MG, SR and Barmore all at the same time. Now if we add Clowney to that mix...............quadruple terror for the QB. If we don't then we actually might see a real improvement to McKinley with those other 3 in the lineup with him. Somebody would get in almost every play. And even in his later years Jackson is no easy match either. I like what is happening in our DL. Barmore might be a bit raw, but I have confidence our D coaches can fix it quick. I'm getting excited about this DL for the coming season.
-
-- Cam McGrone, Nico Collins, Osa Odighizuwa, Creed Humphrey, and Jamar Johnson. Highlights:McGrone over Jamin Davis, Collins dropped 20 pounds and dominated the Senior Bowl with newfound separation while retaining his obvious ball skills, Odi is 6'2 280# with 34" arms whose playstyle resembles Tuitt [start at 5T, move to 3T for passing downs], Humphrey's a plug-and-play C even though he may fall out of rd1, and Jamar is the Indiana S who picked Fields 2x.. likely best fit as near-LOS S bc only weakness is raw speed; short-area-quickness and intelligence are ridiculous.
-
Jamin Davis is the guy we want if backer is the call.
-
-
This was my first viewing of Barmore.
Initial thoughts.
- ND acquitted themselves very nicely in this game on the IOL.
- While CB is incredibly strong and showed some anchor against an elite IOL, he also looked to play a bit high consistently which fucked him over hard. He got out leveraged a good bit.
- Because of his higher pad level, he seems to fire off a little slower but good news is that his arm extension is solid and his hands work well. They're heavy and he's a brawler. But he doesn't seem to misplace them by getting into the OL face.
- His lateral play and agility is.... lacking. Granted I understand that isn't all his game but getting across his face wasn't an overly difficult task for ND.
- Pocket push against single is very hit or miss. High pads don't help.
- When he does win the inside shoulder he walks people back, but does so simply because he just overpowers lineman. Not easy, so it just displays his strength. Even when he does drive back, his balance and feet aren't always under him so you see him being "re-directed" by the ND OL.
I have to ask what I'm seeing here that would make him so elite that I would consider him 1st round? A fine player? Absolutely. Potentially great? Sure. But his ceiling looks Linval Joseph-ish.... So if you aren't that transcendent talent at IDL, is my 1st round investment worth it? Will he be someone that helps this team get over the hump come playoff time? Keep in mind that Linval was a 2nd round pick. CB's physically overpowering play style is not all that dissimilar from Javon Kinlaw who had a very up and down year with SF. By the end of this game the ND line was pretty worn down but the Bama defense rotates their line like a swarm. Whoever #48 is did some serious damage in that rotation when CB wasn't getting snaps. I'm going to have to watch more and I do remember him playing well against tOSU. But my own team building philosophy and importance placed where I would hypothetically draft IDL might not allow me to be completely enamored with Barmore.
He's disruptive enough to merit further watch though and that is absolutely what I will be doing.
One thing I noticed especially through the 1st half was that he drew a ton of double teams. If we take him they will not be able to do that against MG, SR and Barmore all at the same time. Now if we add Clowney to that mix...............quadruple terror for the QB. If we don't then we actually might see a real improvement to McKinley with those other 3 in the lineup with him. Somebody would get in almost every play. And even in his later years Jackson is no easy match either. I like what is happening in our DL. Barmore might be a bit raw, but I have confidence our D coaches can fix it quick. I'm getting excited about this DL for the coming season.
One thing I noticed especially through the 1st half was that he drew a ton of double teams.
If we take him they will not be able to do that against MG, SR and Barmore all at the same time.
Now if we add Clowney to that mix...............quadruple terror for the QB.
If we don't then we actually might see a real improvement to McKinley with those other 3 in the lineup with him.
I like what is happening in our DL. Barmore might be a bit raw, but I have confidence our D coaches can fix it quick.
- Of course he did. Notre Dame was committed to running the ball on the interior early and often. As a result, Barmore was in there heavily on 1st and 2nd downs. As the game wore on? Not so much. Also, Barmore plays the shade or nose so naturally he draws the most double teams. Any big body will by proximity of assignment alone. What he does against that chip help is really what to watch. He has elite strength, but he's a giant of a human being so he damn well had better be strong. But being strong alone isn't enough, which is where my concerns start to come in.
- Barmore wasn't in the rotation during obvious passing downs. So you're right, they won't be able to double MG, SR and Barmore all at the same time. Because the likely hood they see the field at the same time will again be early downs and redzone work.
- Clowney is an alright solution, but I would hardly call him a "terror". If anything Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack have made a fool of his career numbers despite not being the #1 overall.
- I hope we see improvement to McKinley period. The next best lineman he's played with was Grady Jarrett.
- "Quick" is relative. Barmore is a mountain of a man that might not have the natural ability to play as low as necessary to be effective. Even then, he's a 2 down player for at minimum the next 2 years while he works with professional coaches on technique and conditioning. Even if your flame develops an elite run stopping percentage, I can get most of that value back on Day 2 while I invest in either CB, WR or Edge day 1.
-
-- Cam McGrone, Nico Collins, Osa Odighizuwa, Creed Humphrey, and Jamar Johnson. Highlights:McGrone over Jamin Davis, Collins dropped 20 pounds and dominated the Senior Bowl with newfound separation while retaining his obvious ball skills, Odi is 6'2 280# with 34" arms whose playstyle resembles Tuitt [start at 5T, move to 3T for passing downs], Humphrey's a plug-and-play C even though he may fall out of rd1, and Jamar is the Indiana S who picked Fields 2x.. likely best fit as near-LOS S bc only weakness is raw speed; short-area-quickness and intelligence are ridiculous.
-- Cam McGrone, Nico Collins, Osa Odighizuwa, Creed Humphrey, and Jamar Johnson. Highlights:McGrone over Jamin Davis, Collins dropped 20 pounds and dominated the Senior Bowl with newfound separation while retaining his obvious ball skills, Odi is 6'2 280# with 34" arms whose playstyle resembles Tuitt [start at 5T, move to 3T for passing downs], Humphrey's a plug-and-play C even though he may fall out of rd1, and Jamar is the Indiana S who picked Fields 2x.. likely best fit as near-LOS S bc only weakness is raw speed; short-area-quickness and intelligence are ridiculous.
Hey, two Michigan guys. I'll take it
-
One thing I noticed especially through the 1st half was that he drew a ton of double teams.
If we take him they will not be able to do that against MG, SR and Barmore all at the same time.
Now if we add Clowney to that mix...............quadruple terror for the QB.
If we don't then we actually might see a real improvement to McKinley with those other 3 in the lineup with him.
I like what is happening in our DL. Barmore might be a bit raw, but I have confidence our D coaches can fix it quick.
- Of course he did. Notre Dame was committed to running the ball on the interior early and often. As a result, Barmore was in there heavily on 1st and 2nd downs. As the game wore on? Not so much. Also, Barmore plays the shade or nose so naturally he draws the most double teams. Any big body will by proximity of assignment alone. What he does against that chip help is really what to watch. He has elite strength, but he's a giant of a human being so he damn well had better be strong. But being strong alone isn't enough, which is where my concerns start to come in.
- Barmore wasn't in the rotation during obvious passing downs. So you're right, they won't be able to double MG, SR and Barmore all at the same time. Because the likely hood they see the field at the same time will again be early downs and redzone work.
- Clowney is an alright solution, but I would hardly call him a "terror". If anything Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack have made a fool of his career numbers despite not being the #1 overall.
- I hope we see improvement to McKinley period. The next best lineman he's played with was Grady Jarrett.
- "Quick" is relative. Barmore is a mountain of a man that might not have the natural ability to play as low as necessary to be effective. Even then, he's a 2 down player for at minimum the next 2 years while he works with professional coaches on technique and conditioning. Even if your flame develops an elite run stopping percentage, I can get most of that value back on Day 2 while I invest in either CB, WR or Edge day 1.
"Quick" is relative. Barmore is a mountain of a man that might not have the natural ability to play as low as necessary to be effective. Even then, he's a 2 down player for at minimum the next 2 years while he works with professional coaches on technique and conditioning. Even if your flame develops an elite run stopping percentage, I can get most of that value back on Day 2 while I invest in either CB, WR or Edge day 1.
My question on Edge is do you think there will still be one who can impact immediately still there @ #26? One good enough to get less double teaming of MG?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login