Offensive Line
-
Teller is unofficially out from what I heard, and I wouldn't expect any miracles. It's such a bummer because Teller is literally the straw that stirs the drink. We knew we wouldn't be able to run last game, but we can't expect to pass our way through every game, either. Nick filled in admirably for Hubbs, but he wasn't honestly THAT good, especially in run blocking. I fear we're in for another passing extravaganza.
from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way
side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?
from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way
side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?
Bad grade might be a bit harsh. I'm just going by the PFF grades, as well as what I saw. Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks. But honestly, for his first action and being a rookie it was pretty damn decent. My main point is that he's not Wyatt Teller. Hardly anyone in the dang LEAGUE can run block as well as Teller so there's going to be a drop-off with anyone else, but especially with a rookie playing out of position.
-
from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way
side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?
Bad grade might be a bit harsh. I'm just going by the PFF grades, as well as what I saw. Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks. But honestly, for his first action and being a rookie it was pretty damn decent. My main point is that he's not Wyatt Teller. Hardly anyone in the dang LEAGUE can run block as well as Teller so there's going to be a drop-off with anyone else, but especially with a rookie playing out of position.
Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks
No problem. He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season. Piece-a-cake.
-
Did you know Grant Overbaugh?
Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.
Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.
I played baseball against Stan White:
White was born in Dover, Ohio and grew up in Kent, Ohio. White attended Theodore Roosevelt High School. He was the only player in the history of Ohio High School sports to play in the state all-star games for football, basketball, and baseball. He was 1st team All State twice in football, All State in Basketball as a senior averaging 25 points a game, and All State in baseball playing catcher as a senior hitting 0.467 (He pitched a championship game and won 1-0 with 17 strikeouts). Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.
Since 2006, White has worked as a color analyst for the Baltimore Ravens' radio broadcasts, teaming with Gerry Sandusky, who does the play-by-play, and former Ravens player Qadry Ismail. He also contributes to other programming on Baltimore station WBAL-AM. He previously worked for ESPN, NBC Radio NFL games, and Home Team Sports.
White is a lawyer, graduating magna cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1978.[3] He went at night during the season and full-time in the off season, completing his degree in four years. His first job was with Ron Shapiro, noted sports lawyer. His classmates included sports agents Tom Condon and Tony Agnone.
-
Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.
I played baseball against Stan White:
White was born in Dover, Ohio and grew up in Kent, Ohio. White attended Theodore Roosevelt High School. He was the only player in the history of Ohio High School sports to play in the state all-star games for football, basketball, and baseball. He was 1st team All State twice in football, All State in Basketball as a senior averaging 25 points a game, and All State in baseball playing catcher as a senior hitting 0.467 (He pitched a championship game and won 1-0 with 17 strikeouts). Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.
Since 2006, White has worked as a color analyst for the Baltimore Ravens' radio broadcasts, teaming with Gerry Sandusky, who does the play-by-play, and former Ravens player Qadry Ismail. He also contributes to other programming on Baltimore station WBAL-AM. He previously worked for ESPN, NBC Radio NFL games, and Home Team Sports.
White is a lawyer, graduating magna cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1978.[3] He went at night during the season and full-time in the off season, completing his degree in four years. His first job was with Ron Shapiro, noted sports lawyer. His classmates included sports agents Tom Condon and Tony Agnone.
I played baseball against Stan White:
Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.
You should have beaned him before he did Ravenna dirty like that.... ?
-
Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks
No problem. He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season. Piece-a-cake.
No problem. He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season. Piece-a-cake.
I totally agree. The fact that he was ready at all speaks volumes. Harris was receiving a lot of solid praise during camp before Tretter came back from surgery. This experience could really serve him well.
-
I played baseball against Stan White:
Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.
You should have beaned him before he did Ravenna dirty like that.... ?
You should have beaned him before he did Ravenna dirty like that.... ?
Did Ravenna dirty? You probably deserved it.
Don't feel bad. Note that he has been doing "Ravens" radio games for like 15 years now. So, what goes around comes around.
-
and six of those ended up playing in the NFL
Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt HS team ended up playing in the NFL. I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot.
-
Here is an interesting article. Recent, just written in November: The 40 high schools that have produced the most NFL players. The leader is one of those "academies" in Virginia.
https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/high-schools-that-produce-most-nfl-players-8f58a46f3f1a4c1a
A lot of schools from Texas, California and Florida
4 schools from Ohio:
Warren G. Harding 21 players
Massillon 23 players
Glenville 27 players
Canton McKinley 30 players.
To be honest.....I am not aware of a single player from my high school in history who has ever played in the NFL....but a few here from my kid's school where I live have.
Though....the founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber was born there in my home town. (Norton)
And something I just recently learned. The wife of the richest man to ever walk the earth, in relative dollars: John D. Rockefeller, came from right here in Wadsworth. I guess you could say that meant the richest woman ever to walk the earth was from here. To my knowledge, none of that money was ever spread around town here. Laura Spelman was her name. Spelman College in Atlanta was named after her.
-
Did you know Grant Overbaugh?
Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.
Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.
I was friends with his younger brother in Elementary and Jr. High. If I recall he got a scholarship to Middle Tenn but quit after 1 year. I remember Kubit. Big guy who ate like a horse. I think he got a job as a corrections officer for the County Jail.
-
and six of those ended up playing in the NFL
Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt HS team ended up playing in the NFL. I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot.
and six of those ended up playing in the NFL
Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt HS team ended up playing in the NFL. I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot.
That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous.
The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham.
-
Any former offensive lineman on this board??? It seems like RB, WR, CB types would have the hardest time with High Ankle sprains. Quick burst positions. But it’s not a fun injury overall for anyone.
Any former offensive lineman on this board??? It seems like RB, WR, CB types would have the hardest time with High Ankle sprains. Quick burst positions. But it’s not a fun injury overall for anyone.
Trapping and pulling require healthy ankles; and Teller was good at both. Pass pro can demand some lateral movement that can make it difficult on a flimsy ankle. Also keep in mind, the Browns are heading back to the turf in the Meadowlands this weekend that some speculated led to some serious (and possibly avoidable) injuries that a grass surface may not have caused.
Cook looked like he did a solid job last week to the extent I'm guessing we will be running the ball to the right more often than we did last week. I think he's been learning backup Center and Guard roles so now he can just focus more on RG and get an entire week of prep with the game plans. My guess is the play calling was cognizant of this. FWIW, the Giants have a very good defensive front against the run .Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are both 1st round draft picks playing extremely well for them. Williams was actually drafted by the Jets and the Giants are tapping his talent IMO.
-
Any former offensive lineman on this board??? It seems like RB, WR, CB types would have the hardest time with High Ankle sprains. Quick burst positions. But it’s not a fun injury overall for anyone.
Trapping and pulling require healthy ankles; and Teller was good at both. Pass pro can demand some lateral movement that can make it difficult on a flimsy ankle. Also keep in mind, the Browns are heading back to the turf in the Meadowlands this weekend that some speculated led to some serious (and possibly avoidable) injuries that a grass surface may not have caused.
Cook looked like he did a solid job last week to the extent I'm guessing we will be running the ball to the right more often than we did last week. I think he's been learning backup Center and Guard roles so now he can just focus more on RG and get an entire week of prep with the game plans. My guess is the play calling was cognizant of this. FWIW, the Giants have a very good defensive front against the run .Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are both 1st round draft picks playing extremely well for them. Williams was actually drafted by the Jets and the Giants are tapping his talent IMO.
-
and six of those ended up playing in the NFL
Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt HS team ended up playing in the NFL. I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot.
That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous.
The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham.
That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous.
The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham.
Yes. As you may know, both KR and Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went. I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also when Larry Csonka played for Stow. He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle.
-
The article I read this morning said Teller wasn't practicing, but wasn't ruled out just yet. We'll see, but I'm guessing we want to make sure he's healthy for next week. Sendejo is actually back, and I couldn't be happier. Malcom Smith isn't practicing and that makes me very nervous.
-
That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous.
The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham.
Yes. As you may know, both KR and Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went. I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also when Larry Csonka played for Stow. He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle.
Yes. As you may know, both KR and Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went. I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also when Larry Csonka played for Stow. He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle.
Larry was a big charging angry buffalo.
-
Larry Csonka was 6'3" - I knew his sister Nancy.
Don Nottingham - no highlight video of him -
but he was "the Bowling Ball" but was only 5'10", harder to get a hold of, and was only 210 lbs. But he was stocky, and
powerful, no fear, like a rocky mountain goat violently headbashing with another rocky mountain goat.
He caught passes out of the backfield, and also -returned kicks-.
https://www.nfl.com/players/don-nottingham/stats/career
I did find this video of him, though - he ended up with hearing loss from all the collisions....
-
I had some dealings with some other members of Larry Csonka's family. Perhaps a nephew/cousin. Let's put it this way: they were basically scumbags, thieves, that thought because the uncle/cousin had been an NFL player that it gave them carte blanche to screw people over.
-
the roosevelt and ravenna teams back then - I remember one of them had some super star guy who could return kicks, wr? and
nobody could ever catch him. Everybody knew his name back then. I don't remember it now. lol
-
the roosevelt and ravenna teams back then - I remember one of them had some super star guy who could return kicks, wr? and
nobody could ever catch him. Everybody knew his name back then. I don't remember it now. lol
the roosevelt and ravenna teams back then - I remember one of them had some super star guy who could return kicks, wr? and
nobody could ever catch him. Everybody knew his name back then. I don't remember it now. lol
There was Tom Campana who went to OSU...but did not quite make in in the NFL...but did play in the CFL...but I think his Dad played like 4 years for the Bears. Stan White....OSU/Colts . Stan Boykin, OSU may not have played in NFL, but did ....and there have been many Boykins that went there...in fact I see 7 Boykins that played in the NFL. At least half of them may have gone to Kent Roosevelt. Tom DeLeone was on that team. OSU/Browns.
Mike Adamle was just a year ahead of that Quartet.
-
The 1966 Kent Roosevelt-Ravenna classic had everything: High stakes, high drama and a star-studded collection of talent on both sides unmatched in the rivalry’s rich history. An astonishing total of six future NFL draft picks took the field at Bowers Field in Kent for that now-infamous contest between two undefeated teams with the Metro League championship on the line......
The powerful Ravens were led by big, rugged senior running back Don Nottingham and coached by Nunzio “Foot” Polichene, who was in his first year after taking over from legendary Ravenna mentor Harry Gilcrest. Nottingham would go on to star at Kent State University and play in the NFL with the Baltimore Colts and Miami Dolphins, winning the Super Bowl with Miami in the 1973 season......
An astounding five players from that 1966 Kent Roosevelt team went on to become NFL draft picks, including all three running backs in senior Mike Adamle and juniors Jerry Brown and Tom Campana Jr.
Adamle starred at Northwestern University and played in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Chicago Bears. Brown also played at Northwestern and was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers before going on to a distinguished coaching career which continues to this day (Brown currently serves as the assistant head coach at Northwestern). Campana Jr., meanwhile, was a standout for Woody Hayes at Ohio State and was drafted by the NFL’s St. Louis Cardinals before embarking on a successful career with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League.
The 1966 Rough Riders also featured junior center Tom DeLeone and junior linebacker Stan White, both of whom later starred at Ohio State with the younger Campana. Both DeLeone and White went on to outstanding NFL careers, DeLeone as a center for the Cleveland Browns and White as a linebacker with the Colts and Detroit Lions.
Note: I believe that Mike Adamle's Dad, Tony, was the Browns official team physician for many years.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login