Vernon Ruptured Achilles
-
If you asked me after the first month of the season, I would have said OV (Vernon) has to go. He's making big money and he wasn't producing. Fast forward to NOW, and he's been our best DE, even better than the covid stricken Myles Garrett in some games. Losing him for our playoff game is tear-jerking, but the question remains...what do we do with him? What do you guys think?
-
I don’t know. He has shown up big in some games and been just a body in others.
The biggest issue with this whole defense is staying healthy and he isn’t the availability poster child....
Personally, I don’t think he is worth the money based on that alone, but it’s tough to find good pass rushers.
tough one here.
-
No.
I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.
I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.
-
No.
I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.
I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.
No.
I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.
I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.
Tough call - my hunch is, he didn't show up early on much.
But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that - don't know if he was playing banged up early on...
but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.
******************************************
https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/olivier-vernon-suffers-ruptured-achilles
Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts
An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.*******************************************I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.
-
I’d be interested in keeping him, but just like a lot of things it comes down to the money.
I think like a lot of players on the wrong side of 30 he has to be contemplating whether his next contract will be his last, and it’s hard to fault a guy for trying to cash in while he can.
He actually restructured his contract before the start of last season to take less money, but to also make it guaranteed money. Here’s a link on that.
My guess is the Browns said, “we want you, but not for that much, but we’ll happily pay this much.” And from his perspective it was either sign it or get cut and face the open market amongst the uncertainty of covid.
He obviously signed, and it was still a hefty payday at like 11 mil. Bottom line is l think money is going to be his main motivating factor and he’s going to go wherever the most guaranteed money is, and l have my doubts if the Browns will outbid the other 31 teams.
-
-
Well....shit.
-
No.
I don’t trust his health and there are too many other guys on that side of the ball in the same boat.
I would clean house. I’d take a hard look at our coordinator too.
Tough call - my hunch is, he didn't show up early on much.
But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that - don't know if he was playing banged up early on...
but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.
******************************************
https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/olivier-vernon-suffers-ruptured-achilles
Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts
An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.*******************************************I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.
Tough call - my hunch is, he didn't show up early on much.
But later turned it on. We don't know the story behind that - don't know if he was playing banged up early on...
but now he is toast for a while - out of the playoffs. That will change everything.
******************************************
https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/olivier-vernon-suffers-ruptured-achilles
Olivier Vernon Suffers Ruptured Achilles, Which Devastates Browns On Multiple Fronts
An MRI has revealed that Cleveland Browns defensive end Olivier Vernon has suffered a ruptured Achilles' which not only ends his season, but raises questions about his future and the defensive end position for Browns next year.*******************************************I have felt all season that our DC has been brilliant - he just has a lack of talent out there for different reasons. And STILL made the PLAYOFFS ! He isn't going anywhere - been extremely successful elsewhere.
Oh damn. That’s a heartbreaker.
-
Who is his replacement?
It also tells me that a DE will be a high priority in the Draft or Free Agency to the extent we can go there. Don't these achilles injuries sometimes put people out for a couple of years?
-
Short list from PFF:
- Greg Rousseau, Miami (FL) ...
- Carlos Basham Jr., Wake Forest. ...
- Chris Rumph, Duke. ...
- Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan. ...
- Xavier Thomas, Clemson. ...
- Kwity Paye, Michigan. ...
- Quincy Roche, Miami (FL) ...
- Jayson Oweh, Penn State.
-
Terrible injury feel awful for the guy.
Now it’s a Big No on next year.
-
Terrible injury feel awful for the guy.
Now it’s a Big No on next year.
Terrible injury feel awful for the guy.
Now it’s a Big No on next year.
Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.
Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months. Even at double that he makes training camp.
-
thanks! and a healthy Get well to OV..
reading some of our player tweets on OV's injury, tells me that we got a strong-strong bonding room.. ? next man up! and i don't think Stef will be giving Pitt a clue whom to prepare for
-
Not a lot of options, gum. Clayborn and Gustin are bascially going to rotate.
Second thoughts...
Since OV was standing up most of the time I guess we could work in a LB... but the biggest we have is Taki and I don't see him having the speed/strngth combo to be effective. Now if we get Goodson back.... hmmmm... With Phillips looking as good as he did at the Mike, then I could see Goodson at LDE.
Another way to go would be to flex Richardson out to LDE. Again due to Taylor's showing Sunday, we might be able to do this... at least early... without hurting our IDL rotation.
-
Cameron Malveaux
DE • #59Regular Season
WK Game Date OPP RESULT Total Solo AST SCK SFTY PDEF INT YDS AVG LNG TDS FF FR 12 11/29/2020 @Jaguars W 27 - 25 2 2 0 0 0 0 11 11/22/2020 Eagles W 22 - 17 2 2 0 0 0 1 Yeah, Taylor went all beast/mode up front yesterday ? Saw lots of good youth growing up yesterday.... while I'm not sure why were not seeing this youngster getting more reps than Gustin? I'll trust that Wood's may think Malveaux can only be effective from Garrett's side maybe? but his production to snaps given seems really odd.. Your call Joe Woods
-
Well that sucks ass. His been a beast the second half of the season. But to answer Jiggy's question I don't think he'll ever suit up in a Browns uniform again. This type of injury is career threatening and I've so many professionals across multiple sports, come back as a mere shell of themselves. And while Tour is technically right about the healing times for you and me to go back to our shitty day-jobs, it's a whole other thing to being playing a pro sport, at a very high level. Every basketball player I ever seen takes a minimum of a full calendar year off, if not longer, and I count on my one hand the amount people that have come back 100% from this and that's Dominique Wilkens, 2 soccer players my dad told me about, and maybe Kevin Durant. That's an extremely short list. Wish I had a better more positive take on this, but his on the wrong side of 30, and treatment for this hasn't progressed as quickly like say an ACL. Terrible, Terrible news.
-
Terrible injury feel awful for the guy.
Now it’s a Big No on next year.
Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.
Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months. Even at double that he makes training camp.
Why? Players come back from Achilles fairly quickly all the time.
Post surgery healing time is 6 to 8 weeks. Return to play can be as fast as 4 months. Even at double that he makes training camp.
He’s 30...It is a tough injury...along with other tough injuries he’s dealt with...and we have a choice on whether he comes back or not with no financial ramifications if we cut ties. That’s where my heads at.
Does he want to come back on a prove it type deal - incentive type deal- okay I give him a shot in 2021.
-
I'll be queuing up more edge defenders.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login