Skip to content

Evaluate the QBs

The Browns Board
89 41 7.8k
  • Zombo said:

    I've seen Derek Anderson throw for 5 TDs in an NFL game and I've seen absolutely nothing from Brady Quinn but a nice little loss to the worst defense in the NFL last year.

    I am seriously not trying to be a dick ... but when does Brady Quinn start impressing me as a pro? I'm ready.

    Zombo

    And you have seen him throw 3 and 4 picks a game.

    How many pro games has Quinn played in healthy? 1. How did he look in that game?

    Masters said:

    And you have seen him throw 3 and 4 picks a game.

    How many pro games has Quinn played in healthy? 1. How did he look in that game?

    That's just it: don't we think it's about time the guy with 27 starts to his name shows us an ounce of evidence he's progressed and learned from it all? 31 NFL Executives say he hasn't and so does a considerable amount of our fanbase.

    I would have preferred to see us matching TDs with GB so Quinn wasn't where he needed to be either.

    That said, when DA took snaps our offense looked like it was in quicksand. When Quinn played QB - we at least moved the changes and had some degree of time of possession to rest the defense.

    Ratliff showed me some positive flashes and 1 of his INTs went rhough the receivers hands. Who knows if the other INT wasn't from one of the inexperienced receivers making the wrong turn or wrong route adjustment. It could have just been a poor throw, which happens this time of year.

    I'd say the QB evaluations go like this:

    Quinn = C-

    Ratliff = D+

    DA = F

    Nobody made the honor roll but DA made the Dean's List - the SHIT list

    The guy with 27 starts to his name needs to show me better footwork, poise, mechanics, pocket presence, reading skills, accuracy, vision and above all, flocking coherence.

    Do you know how many organizations wouldn't even consider DA for a starting job? All 31 that told us so.

    - Tom F. (I didn't talk about how unchallenged Green Bay's offense was last night. It was pretty disturbing though)

  • I say, he needs to "manage the game", "get us into the playoffs" and win atleast 1 playoff game (don't implode). Those are my "pie in the sky" lofty hopes...L oL

    But from what I saw of the team yesterday...

    UGH!

  • Zombo said:

    Ok, I lied. I WAS trying to be a dick. Sounds like Anderson was dreadful and Quinn showed promise but then threw a bad pick. OK Round One to Quinn.

    Problem is, I've seen better catfights in the alley behind my house.

    I just want somebody to step up and clearly earn the job with command of the offense, rather than the less of two evils.

    There's really not much here to analyze here, which I think makes it totally appropriate that I didn't watch the game. There was nothing to see.

    I hope it leads to a great week of practice and someone stepping up next weekend and showing us all he's going to take over this offense and win football games.

    Personally, I hope it's Quinn. But if it's not, I don't know if I can take another week of pussies like Soupfag crying about it.

    Boo hoo hoo ... he looked better ... if only Braylon caught that ball ...

    Please, dear God, let a QB step up so that we fans can concentrate on the real reason why Pittsburgh and Baltimore own us: Defense.

    Zombo

    Way to keep up the post count with another useless post

  • One other observation, and it was by Bernie coloring the game, he recognized DA throwing into Cover 2 (tight coverage) again...and this was before the INT. That shit drives me crazy!

  • Zombo said:

    I've seen Derek Anderson throw for 5 TDs in an NFL game and I've seen absolutely nothing from Brady Quinn but a nice little loss to the worst defense in the NFL last year.

    I am seriously not trying to be a dick ... but when does Brady Quinn start impressing me as a pro? I'm ready.

    Zombo

    Wow dude, you sure are hung up on that 29 TDs, 3700 yds stat from 2007. Did you also forget the 19 INTs against one of the easiest schedules? You mention the 5 TD game, but what about the multiple 4 INT games between 2006 and 2007? What about the fact that all his wins, except ONE, were against losing teams? You love DA's stats, but he was 0-3 as a starter in 2006, 10-5 in '07, and 3-6 in '08. Seems to me that he does not bring a winning record as a starter to the table. Seems to me the fluke year for him is '07, and you want to hang the team's future on that? Quinn only has 3 games to his name. Its time that we at least see what Quinn can do so that a decision can be made at the end of the year as to whether a QB needs to be drafted or not.

  • Zombo said:

    We know what Anderson can do, Quinn has done nothing ... what am I missing?

    Zombo

    --Brady Quinn, we all love you, DO SOMETHING...

    Yeah, we saw it yesterday. Throw two passes, both of which should have been intercepted, one of which was.

    Great xxxxing quarterbacking display right there!

  • Quinn. I watched the way he acted when he'd drop back. He reminds me of Tom Brady in the way he looks. Now I'm not saying he's another Tom Brady. He just looks like him with the way he seems calm and poised, for the most part.

    Quinn LOOKS like a QB whereas DA looks like he's panicking a lot.

  • Zombo said:

    Ok, I lied. I WAS trying to be a dick. Sounds like Anderson was dreadful and Quinn showed promise but then threw a bad pick. OK Round One to Quinn.

    Problem is, I've seen better catfights in the alley behind my house.

    I just want somebody to step up and clearly earn the job with command of the offense, rather than the less of two evils.

    There's really not much here to analyze here, which I think makes it totally appropriate that I didn't watch the game. There was nothing to see.

    I hope it leads to a great week of practice and someone stepping up next weekend and showing us all he's going to take over this offense and win football games.

    Personally, I hope it's Quinn. But if it's not, I don't know if I can take another week of pussies like Soupfag crying about it.

    Boo hoo hoo ... he looked better ... if only Braylon caught that ball ...

    Please, dear God, let a QB step up so that we fans can concentrate on the real reason why Pittsburgh and Baltimore own us: Defense.

    Zombo

    This is where I can completely agree with you. But I really think this year needs to be Quinn under center. Its time to find out what he can do over a full season. We all know what DA can, and cannot do. If Quinn isn't the guy to be the face of the franchise, then that guy will need to be drafted/acquired in the offseason.

  • Zombo said:

    I've seen Derek Anderson throw for 5 TDs in an NFL game and I've seen absolutely nothing from Brady Quinn but a nice little loss to the worst defense in the NFL last year.

    I am seriously not trying to be a dick ... but when does Brady Quinn start impressing me as a pro? I'm ready.

    Zombo

    Since you didn't watch the game...Anderson was horrible last night..I'm watching the game right now. Seriously he was just as bad as his worst performance at any point. That half a season and a great 5 td game (against a shitty Bengals team) are so far in the past with him it's not even funny. Quinn might not be the long term answer but Anderson is not even a decent backup in this league. I hope the guy knows how to invest his giant contract because he's not much better than Charlie Frye.

    The interception Quinn threw was a crappy pass...it a little behind Edwards (who didn't help much in trying ot fight for the ball) but the pass on the play before was perfect and Edwards dropped it, just like last season.

    Watch the game next week or watch the replay at some point this week and then I'd love to see how you can justify starting Anderson over Quinn this season.

  • Zombo said:

    I've seen Derek Anderson throw for 5 TDs in an NFL game and I've seen absolutely nothing from Brady Quinn but a nice little loss to the worst defense in the NFL last year.

    I am seriously not trying to be a dick ... but when does Brady Quinn start impressing me as a pro? I'm ready.

    Zombo

    Since you didn't watch the game...Anderson was horrible last night..I'm watching the game right now. Seriously he was just as bad as his worst performance at any point. That half a season and a great 5 td game (against a shitty Bengals team) are so far in the past with him it's not even funny. Quinn might not be the long term answer but Anderson is not even a decent backup in this league. I hope the guy knows how to invest his giant contract because he's not much better than Charlie Frye.

    The interception Quinn threw was a crappy pass...it a little behind Edwards (who didn't help much in trying ot fight for the ball) but the pass on the play before was perfect and Edwards dropped it, just like last season.

    Watch the game next week or watch the replay at some point this week and then I'd love to see how you can justify starting Anderson over Quinn this season.

    @mark-o said:

    Since you didn't watch the game...Anderson was horrible last night..I'm watching the game right now. Seriously he was just as bad as his worst performance at any point. That half a season and a great 5 td game (against a shitty Bengals team) are so far in the past with him it's not even funny. Quinn might not be the long term answer but Anderson is not even a decent backup in this league. I hope the guy knows how to invest his giant contract because he's not much better than Charlie Frye.

    The interception Quinn threw was a crappy pass...it a little behind Edwards (who didn't help much in trying ot fight for the ball) but the pass on the play before was perfect and Edwards dropped it, just like last season.

    Watch the game next week or watch the replay at some point this week and then I'd love to see how you can justify starting Anderson over Quinn this season.

    Good points Mark!

    I gotta hand it to Zombo - the entertainment level went through the roof when he showed up. I forgot all about the QBs for a happy second or two.

    Unfortunately, our offense looks like quick sand when DA is leading it. Hopefully, we will become the 32nd NFL team to see this very soon. I've got my fingers and toes crossed.

    All I can think of for poor Loverboy are those lyrics by John Cougar: "When the walls come tumbling down" or we could go old school with Neil Diamond's "Love on the rocks"

    - Tom F.

  • @jadbf said:

    Acutally I was hoping BOTH QBs came out and played well. I was hoping to read about a few long passes for strikes by DA and Quinn moving the offense.

    I agree niether played well enough for us to be encouraged.

    As for Dabol AND Mangini. The one thing I will say is. Who ever they deem to win this competition at the end. I hope the actually then taylor the offense to suit that guy. Don't expect DA to go through a 7 step drop with multiple reads, and underneath crossing routes. Give him 3 step drops and seam and go routes. Let him be a gunslinger, I'd actually say that's part of DA's problem right now. It's mental. He's no longer a gunslinging QB with an accurate cannon. He's trying to fit into the mold that others want him to be. and I am just not sure he can do that.

    On DA, that's exactly right. Look at Brett Favre when he was with the packers. He flourished in a west coast offense. He kept his gunslinging ways, and still won. I think Mangini should let DA be DA.

  • To me its hands down that BQ should be named the starter today and let's get this thing rolling. Give BQ all the reps to start getting his timing down with the #1's.

    Tivo the game last night and watched it and thought BQ was overly impressive. Led the team in 2 drives down in GB territory and yes he threw a pick but no QB is perfect and they all make mistakes. BQ will be here for a long time, the kid is a gamer. We all know what we have in DA and BR is a good #2 and that's it. It was the first game and they are still learning EM system so just hang in there and everything will turn out just fine.

  • Zombo said:

    Ok, I lied. I WAS trying to be a dick. Sounds like Anderson was dreadful and Quinn showed promise but then threw a bad pick. OK Round One to Quinn.

    Problem is, I've seen better catfights in the alley behind my house.

    I just want somebody to step up and clearly earn the job with command of the offense, rather than the less of two evils.

    There's really not much here to analyze here, which I think makes it totally appropriate that I didn't watch the game. There was nothing to see.

    I hope it leads to a great week of practice and someone stepping up next weekend and showing us all he's going to take over this offense and win football games.

    Personally, I hope it's Quinn. But if it's not, I don't know if I can take another week of pussies like Soupfag crying about it.

    Boo hoo hoo ... he looked better ... if only Braylon caught that ball ...

    Please, dear God, let a QB step up so that we fans can concentrate on the real reason why Pittsburgh and Baltimore own us: Defense.

    Zombo

    Way to keep up the post count with another useless post

    SoupDawg said:

    Way to keep up the post count with another useless post

    you're first post musta been a doozy....cause that personality isn't gettin any thanks.

    grudge posting....how mature....and ironic, here.

  • @fan-of-steel-1 said:

    Anderson looked awful. Quinn looked much better. That is what you missed.

    Who was it that said, "When you have two QBs, you have no QBs".

    Being better than DA's putrid performance isn't going to do it for me.

    From the raw numbers, the other QB played as well as, or better than, BQ.

    Maybe, just maybe, Mangini will start the QB he knows best. Wouldn't that speak volumes???

    @chicopee-john said:

    Who was it that said, "When you have two QBs, you have no QBs".

    Being better than DA's putrid performance isn't going to do it for me.

    From the raw numbers, the other QB played as well as, or better than, BQ.

    Maybe, just maybe, Mangini will start the QB he knows best. Wouldn't that speak volumes???

    Again, WATCH THE GAME FIRST before you give an opinion. You lose all credibility in anything you say.

  • Zombo said:

    I already admitted I was trying to be a dick, apparently I mastered that task.

    If Quinn looked good other than that one pick, then that's a good sign.

    But I really thought both QBs would show us more. Nobody reporting from the practices is reporting any "wow" effect with either QB as well.

    Maybe as long as I'm being a dick, I should be the first one to call out Brian "What's in Dabol, bitch?". You've got three more weeks to get this offense clicking, Squirt.

    Brown's Offense has now not scored a TD in seven games over two years and five different QBs. It's ugly, ugly stuff. I reserve the right to be a penis until somebody does something about something someway somehow.

    Zombo

    --Did Bartel play? If so, make that 6 QBs since our last TD...

    How can any QB we have ever "SHOW YOU SOMETHING" if you don't even WATCH THE GAMES!? LOL

    Stop reading and imagining what happend and WATCH with your own eyes. Then, and only then, will you actually have a valid opinion.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Z, I knew you were pot stirring, but Quinn looked better in the scrimmage and a LOT better last night. I just watched my Tivo of the first half and he was really sharp... just got preseason victimized by Fraley and Edwards. He should've been 8 of 11 for a TD and 10 points on two straight scoring drives.

    But it isn't the stats that matter: He looked pretty damn good. I think he's solidly ahead now.

    Amen there, Shepster. And what's with Edwards- the guy just flat out drops too many easy catches in my book to be the long term solution as the Browns #1 WR. He makes the first catch in the endzone and Fraley doesn't hold, it's Quinn by KO in round one.

  • Well can we all conclude though that we must now stop pinning our hopes on Braylon Edwards ? And no it does not have anything to do with him coming from Michigan.

  • Zombo said:

    I already admitted I was trying to be a dick, apparently I mastered that task.

    If Quinn looked good other than that one pick, then that's a good sign.

    But I really thought both QBs would show us more. Nobody reporting from the practices is reporting any "wow" effect with either QB as well.

    Maybe as long as I'm being a dick, I should be the first one to call out Brian "What's in Dabol, bitch?". You've got three more weeks to get this offense clicking, Squirt.

    Brown's Offense has now not scored a TD in seven games over two years and five different QBs. It's ugly, ugly stuff. I reserve the right to be a penis until somebody does something about something someway somehow.

    Zombo

    --Did Bartel play? If so, make that 6 QBs since our last TD...

    Dang zombo BQ had 3 points in his first drive taken way by frail one's penalty and a missed 41 yard FG and then robbed again of a TD in his second drive by scissorhands those failed scores are not his fault scissorhands did nothing to to try and prevent the pick which was BQs fault some are already thinking BE done it on purpose because everyone knows BE is a DA guy and he isnt being challenged for the no.1 slot...😉

    Now DA was absurd in every sense of the word for everyone whom has eyes to see..maybe he will pick it up next week but i wouldnt bet on it...😉

  • Apparently,

    "Little Zombo" did more scoring last night than the Browns did.

    Sighh . . . Zombo and his completely straight priorities.

    Edit to clarify:

    QUOTE (Zombo @ Aug 16 2009, 03:30 PM)

    I live in Naples, Florida, the MILF capital of the world. I spent my Saturday night with a chick that would melt your face off while you were analyzing Brady Quinn's buffness.

  • Zombo said:

    Hey D-Bag, I haven't missed a regular season game in decades and haven't missed a preseason game since we came back in 99.

    I will watch this one too ... but it's 2009 and there are things called Tivo, NFL Network and the Internet.

    I live in Naples, Florida, the MILF capital of the world. I spent my Saturday night with a chick that would melt your face off while you were analyzing Brady Quinn's buffness.

    At some point this week I'll watch the game just so my opinion is valid enough that when I observe that not scoring isn't a good thing for anybody on the offense ... you will feel good about it because I actually watched them not score instead of catching highlights of them not scoring and reading about them not scoring and hearing eveyone and their brother's opinion of them not scoring.

    Zombo

    --Something tells me you are an expert when it comes to not scoring...

    ROTFLMAO! This is a classic thread!

    - Tom F.