Skip to content

Hall of Fame debate rages on

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
39 9 1.2k 1
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I am in for the "Old Ladies"    Carol King, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick....because of familiarity.   Though....correct me if I am wrong,  isn't Carol King already in for her songwriting?   And isn't Tina already in as part of Ike and Tina Turner?

    Todd Rundgren, yes, of course for me.   He is the closest we have this year to a "progressive rock"  act....which is a genre they continually ignore (no Jethro Tull, no Procul Harum...and others even considered)

    I am no Rap person,  but I certainly understand the magnitude that JayZ  and LL Cool J  stand in that genre.

    Some of the rest I just don't know much about...have not kept up with. Though it seems like the Foo Fighters is a band I SHOULD like, but don't know much about.  Mainly because I like their name. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Jay-Z, Foo Fighters, Tina Turner and Iron Maiden lead this year’s historic list of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees. Rolling Stone was the first to reveal the class Wednesday morning.

    (my note:  I am not so sure these acts  "lead" this class...they are just part of it)

    The Class of 2021 will be inducted during a ceremony held in Cleveland at a yet-to-be-determined date and venue this fall. Joining the aforementioned acts on the ballot are Mary J. Blige, Kate Bush, Devo, The Go-Go’s, Chaka Khan, Carole King, Fela Kuti, LL Cool J, New York Dolls, Rage Against the Machine, Todd Rundgren and Dionne Warwick.

    (never have even heard of "Fela Kuti"...who the hell is that?)

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Why is it called the Rock and Roll hall of fame. If Mary J Blige is eligible?

    She is nowhere near rock and roll

  • Why is it called the Rock and Roll hall of fame. If Mary J Blige is eligible?

    She is nowhere near rock and roll

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @browns149 said:

    Why is it called the Rock and Roll hall of fame. If Mary J Blige is eligible?

    She is nowhere near rock and roll

    The whole thing is a farce unfortunately.

    WSS

  • @browns149 said:

    Why is it called the Rock and Roll hall of fame. If Mary J Blige is eligible?

    She is nowhere near rock and roll

    The whole thing is a farce unfortunately.

    WSS

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @westside-steve said:

    The whole thing is a farce unfortunately.

    WSS

    It should be named “The music Hall of Fame”

  • Why is it called the Rock and Roll hall of fame. If Mary J Blige is eligible?

    She is nowhere near rock and roll

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @browns149 said:

    Why is it called the Rock and Roll hall of fame. If Mary J Blige is eligible?

    She is nowhere near rock and roll

    I am really not familiar with her music.  What would you call it?   Soul, rap, pop, boogie woogie, show music? 

  • @browns149 said:

    Why is it called the Rock and Roll hall of fame. If Mary J Blige is eligible?

    She is nowhere near rock and roll

    I am really not familiar with her music.  What would you call it?   Soul, rap, pop, boogie woogie, show music? 

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @the-gipper said:

    I am really not familiar with her music.  What would you call it?   Soul, rap, pop, boogie woogie, show music? 

    It’s more soul or hip hop. It’s not rock and roll

  • @westside-steve said:

    The whole thing is a farce unfortunately.

    WSS

    It should be named “The music Hall of Fame”

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @browns149 said:

    It should be named “The music Hall of Fame”

     Not even music unless Beethoven Chopin Ralph Von Williams and Mozart are in.  Just a group of petty,  Politically correct self important assholes. (Not the artists)

    WSS 

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am really not familiar with her music.  What would you call it?   Soul, rap, pop, boogie woogie, show music? 

    It’s more soul or hip hop. It’s not rock and roll

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @browns149 said:

    It’s more soul or hip hop. It’s not rock and roll

     Frankly nothing has really been rock and roll since bill Haley and the comets.

    WSS 

  • @browns149 said:

    It’s more soul or hip hop. It’s not rock and roll

     Frankly nothing has really been rock and roll since bill Haley and the comets.

    WSS 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @westside-steve said:

     Frankly nothing has really been rock and roll since bill Haley and the comets.

    WSS 

    Rock and roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died. – MOVIE  QUOTES

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I Have been ther62 years later, remembering the day the music died | Music | qctimes.com

    Plane Crash Site Where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & Big Bopper Died

    I have been there.

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Iron Maiden is likely destined for the Hall at some point. They’re arguably the most iconic metal band ever. Tina Turner probably. Carole King yeah. 

    My possibly controversial pick would be Devo. Mostly known as a one hit wonder, but they put out some fine albums that were innovative and technical. Mothersbaugh has had a helluva career afterwards writing scores for tv shows and movies. Plus, they started in Ohio.

  • Iron Maiden is likely destined for the Hall at some point. They’re arguably the most iconic metal band ever. Tina Turner probably. Carole King yeah. 

    My possibly controversial pick would be Devo. Mostly known as a one hit wonder, but they put out some fine albums that were innovative and technical. Mothersbaugh has had a helluva career afterwards writing scores for tv shows and movies. Plus, they started in Ohio.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Iron Maiden is likely destined for the Hall at some point. They’re arguably the most iconic metal band ever. Tina Turner probably. Carole King yeah. 

    My possibly controversial pick would be Devo. Mostly known as a one hit wonder, but they put out some fine albums that were innovative and technical. Mothersbaugh has had a helluva career afterwards writing scores for tv shows and movies. Plus, they started in Ohio.

    Devo is from Akron.  They had always been considered Avant Garde,  more or less the progenitors of certain Punk,  New Wave and Alternative styles of rock.  Ergo, though you may call them a "one hit wonder"....their influence has gone far beyond that nomenclature as it applies to those particular genres. .  If the Rock Hall  is to include "influencers",  then Devo is a fair candidate for inclusion. 

    Not being a heavy metal guy....is Iron Maiden the most iconic band ever of  heavy metal/death metal?  One of, maybe? ,  Do they surpass the likes of Black Sabbath or Metallica, and......I don't know, Led Zeppelin, if you wish to include LZ in that grouping.   Just asking as clearly you seem to be far more of a devotee of the style than I. 

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #15

    This is more evidence that Jan Wenner has dropped the ball big time with the selection committee... I'm not so sure this is Ahmet Ertegun had intended... Although to Erteguns credit... He was instrumental in Ray Charles success as an artist.. I guess "What I say" can be considered "Rock and Roll" But also has R&B roots as well...

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Iron Maiden is likely destined for the Hall at some point. They’re arguably the most iconic metal band ever. Tina Turner probably. Carole King yeah. 

    My possibly controversial pick would be Devo. Mostly known as a one hit wonder, but they put out some fine albums that were innovative and technical. Mothersbaugh has had a helluva career afterwards writing scores for tv shows and movies. Plus, they started in Ohio.

    Devo is from Akron.  They had always been considered Avant Garde,  more or less the progenitors of certain Punk,  New Wave and Alternative styles of rock.  Ergo, though you may call them a "one hit wonder"....their influence has gone far beyond that nomenclature as it applies to those particular genres. .  If the Rock Hall  is to include "influencers",  then Devo is a fair candidate for inclusion. 

    Not being a heavy metal guy....is Iron Maiden the most iconic band ever of  heavy metal/death metal?  One of, maybe? ,  Do they surpass the likes of Black Sabbath or Metallica, and......I don't know, Led Zeppelin, if you wish to include LZ in that grouping.   Just asking as clearly you seem to be far more of a devotee of the style than I. 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    Devo is from Akron.  They had always been considered Avant Garde,  more or less the progenitors of certain Punk,  New Wave and Alternative styles of rock.  Ergo, though you may call them a "one hit wonder"....their influence has gone far beyond that nomenclature as it applies to those particular genres. .  If the Rock Hall  is to include "influencers",  then Devo is a fair candidate for inclusion. 

    Not being a heavy metal guy....is Iron Maiden the most iconic band ever of  heavy metal/death metal?  One of, maybe? ,  Do they surpass the likes of Black Sabbath or Metallica, and......I don't know, Led Zeppelin, if you wish to include LZ in that grouping.   Just asking as clearly you seem to be far more of a devotee of the style than I. 

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #17

    Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

  • @the-gipper said:

    Devo is from Akron.  They had always been considered Avant Garde,  more or less the progenitors of certain Punk,  New Wave and Alternative styles of rock.  Ergo, though you may call them a "one hit wonder"....their influence has gone far beyond that nomenclature as it applies to those particular genres. .  If the Rock Hall  is to include "influencers",  then Devo is a fair candidate for inclusion. 

    Not being a heavy metal guy....is Iron Maiden the most iconic band ever of  heavy metal/death metal?  One of, maybe? ,  Do they surpass the likes of Black Sabbath or Metallica, and......I don't know, Led Zeppelin, if you wish to include LZ in that grouping.   Just asking as clearly you seem to be far more of a devotee of the style than I. 

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

    It’s probably a fuzzy a line with different people having different definitions on such things. At one point Jethro Tull won a grammy for best heavy metal album of the year.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

    It’s probably a fuzzy a line with different people having different definitions on such things. At one point Jethro Tull won a grammy for best heavy metal album of the year.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #20

    @ibleedbrown said:

    It’s probably a fuzzy a line with different people having different definitions on such things. At one point Jethro Tull won a grammy for best heavy metal album of the year.

    Well, that was a farce.   I am sure it was a great album, but they were progressive, not heavy metal.  But I guess it is fair to say that the Grammy committee is as clueless as the RRHOF committee.  Why didn't they just have a "progressive rock"  category?   There are/were as many or more acts doing progressive rock as did  heavy metal. (and it is by far better music IMO)   I mean, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson,  ELP,  Tull,  Procul Harum,  Rush I believe is considered prog rock. The Moody Blues,  Kansas,  ELO,  Roxy Music, Uriah Heep,  The Strawbs, Brian Eno  (Ambient Music is an offshoot of Prog rock, fair to say?), Tangerine Dream, Vangelis... Todd Rundgren certainly had his prog rock renderings  (Utopia) ,  Allan Parsons,  Argent BeBop Deluxe....a lot of Bowie certainly,   Blue Oyster Cult,  Golden Earring,  Journey I think is considered "progressive rock"  ,  Manfred Mann, Phish?    Queen...by all means,  Al Stewart,  Styx, Supertramp Tears for Fears,  Asia,   Toto,  Tool,  Traffic, The Tubes,  Zappa and even some stuff by both Deep Purple and  Led Zeppelin could fall into "progressive".  The progenitors of "progressive rock"...as they were for so much is probably The Beatles.  Sgt. Pepper?  The White Album?  Absolutely.   And with them were the Yardbirds. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I couldn’t help but think of this song through all that.