Skip to content

Hall of Fame debate rages on

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
39 9 1.2k 1
  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #15

    This is more evidence that Jan Wenner has dropped the ball big time with the selection committee... I'm not so sure this is Ahmet Ertegun had intended... Although to Erteguns credit... He was instrumental in Ray Charles success as an artist.. I guess "What I say" can be considered "Rock and Roll" But also has R&B roots as well...

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Iron Maiden is likely destined for the Hall at some point. They’re arguably the most iconic metal band ever. Tina Turner probably. Carole King yeah. 

    My possibly controversial pick would be Devo. Mostly known as a one hit wonder, but they put out some fine albums that were innovative and technical. Mothersbaugh has had a helluva career afterwards writing scores for tv shows and movies. Plus, they started in Ohio.

    Devo is from Akron.  They had always been considered Avant Garde,  more or less the progenitors of certain Punk,  New Wave and Alternative styles of rock.  Ergo, though you may call them a "one hit wonder"....their influence has gone far beyond that nomenclature as it applies to those particular genres. .  If the Rock Hall  is to include "influencers",  then Devo is a fair candidate for inclusion. 

    Not being a heavy metal guy....is Iron Maiden the most iconic band ever of  heavy metal/death metal?  One of, maybe? ,  Do they surpass the likes of Black Sabbath or Metallica, and......I don't know, Led Zeppelin, if you wish to include LZ in that grouping.   Just asking as clearly you seem to be far more of a devotee of the style than I. 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    Devo is from Akron.  They had always been considered Avant Garde,  more or less the progenitors of certain Punk,  New Wave and Alternative styles of rock.  Ergo, though you may call them a "one hit wonder"....their influence has gone far beyond that nomenclature as it applies to those particular genres. .  If the Rock Hall  is to include "influencers",  then Devo is a fair candidate for inclusion. 

    Not being a heavy metal guy....is Iron Maiden the most iconic band ever of  heavy metal/death metal?  One of, maybe? ,  Do they surpass the likes of Black Sabbath or Metallica, and......I don't know, Led Zeppelin, if you wish to include LZ in that grouping.   Just asking as clearly you seem to be far more of a devotee of the style than I. 

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #17

    Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

  • @the-gipper said:

    Devo is from Akron.  They had always been considered Avant Garde,  more or less the progenitors of certain Punk,  New Wave and Alternative styles of rock.  Ergo, though you may call them a "one hit wonder"....their influence has gone far beyond that nomenclature as it applies to those particular genres. .  If the Rock Hall  is to include "influencers",  then Devo is a fair candidate for inclusion. 

    Not being a heavy metal guy....is Iron Maiden the most iconic band ever of  heavy metal/death metal?  One of, maybe? ,  Do they surpass the likes of Black Sabbath or Metallica, and......I don't know, Led Zeppelin, if you wish to include LZ in that grouping.   Just asking as clearly you seem to be far more of a devotee of the style than I. 

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I agree with you on Devo.

    I’m not a huge heavy metal guy, but l have a few songs and bands l like amongst the genre. Sabbath is probably the other band that could be in the running for the most iconic label. Metalica is probably the most famous. Zeppelin l would label more hard rock, but not metal.

    Death Metal is it’s own sub genre, probably the most iconic being Slayer. But maybe Maiden is considered death metal? Not totally sure on that. 

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

    It’s probably a fuzzy a line with different people having different definitions on such things. At one point Jethro Tull won a grammy for best heavy metal album of the year.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Fair enough. 

    I could never tell, back in the early 70s, if something was considered "heavy metal"  (probably still cannot).     I had even at one point thought of Alice Cooper,  ZZ Top and Foghat as "heavy metal".  Don't necessarily think  they fit there now.

    By the way....what is "heavy metal" if it is not "hard rock"? 

    It’s probably a fuzzy a line with different people having different definitions on such things. At one point Jethro Tull won a grammy for best heavy metal album of the year.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #20

    @ibleedbrown said:

    It’s probably a fuzzy a line with different people having different definitions on such things. At one point Jethro Tull won a grammy for best heavy metal album of the year.

    Well, that was a farce.   I am sure it was a great album, but they were progressive, not heavy metal.  But I guess it is fair to say that the Grammy committee is as clueless as the RRHOF committee.  Why didn't they just have a "progressive rock"  category?   There are/were as many or more acts doing progressive rock as did  heavy metal. (and it is by far better music IMO)   I mean, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson,  ELP,  Tull,  Procul Harum,  Rush I believe is considered prog rock. The Moody Blues,  Kansas,  ELO,  Roxy Music, Uriah Heep,  The Strawbs, Brian Eno  (Ambient Music is an offshoot of Prog rock, fair to say?), Tangerine Dream, Vangelis... Todd Rundgren certainly had his prog rock renderings  (Utopia) ,  Allan Parsons,  Argent BeBop Deluxe....a lot of Bowie certainly,   Blue Oyster Cult,  Golden Earring,  Journey I think is considered "progressive rock"  ,  Manfred Mann, Phish?    Queen...by all means,  Al Stewart,  Styx, Supertramp Tears for Fears,  Asia,   Toto,  Tool,  Traffic, The Tubes,  Zappa and even some stuff by both Deep Purple and  Led Zeppelin could fall into "progressive".  The progenitors of "progressive rock"...as they were for so much is probably The Beatles.  Sgt. Pepper?  The White Album?  Absolutely.   And with them were the Yardbirds. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I couldn’t help but think of this song through all that.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Love me some Rage. Most of the attention goes to Morello, but not enough love was given to Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford.  Great drummer & bassist combo.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Iron Maiden NOT being in the Hall is just plain stoopid.

  • AxeA Axe

    Iron Maiden NOT being in the Hall is just plain stoopid.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @axe said:

    Iron Maiden NOT being in the Hall is just plain stoopid.

    Well, they are up this year......and the same thing can be said about any number of acts. 

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #25

    153028245_163985915398190_38001648231390

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Soundgarden  covers Devos Girl you want

    also Fuck the rnr hall of fame

  • Soundgarden  covers Devos Girl you want

    also Fuck the rnr hall of fame

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @atom said:

    Soundgarden  covers Devos Girl you want

    also Fuck the rnr hall of fame

    They care less about your opinion than you do theirs 

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Iron Maiden should be in. They have some great songs and their live shows are AWESOME. I’ve seen them numerous times and they rock

  • Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @westside-steve said:

    Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #30

  • @westside-steve said:

    Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

     We were playing out around that area quite a bit from 1970 on; that's not the way I remember it but it's possible I could be mistaken.

    WSS

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Well it's certainly possible you know something I don't. Wouldn't be the first and probably not the last time. 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #33

    The only semi solid piece of memory I have on that subject was with the management at filthy mcnasty 's. And of course my memory aint what it might be. Hah.

    WSS

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #34

    I just watched an interview with gerry casale where he says mothersbaugh was in a hard rock cover band pre devo and in the early days of devo they would often lie and bill themselves as a cover band to get booked, so in a way I guess you're right.