Skip to content

Hall of Fame debate rages on

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
39 9 1.2k 1
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Love me some Rage. Most of the attention goes to Morello, but not enough love was given to Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford.  Great drummer & bassist combo.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Iron Maiden NOT being in the Hall is just plain stoopid.

  • AxeA Axe

    Iron Maiden NOT being in the Hall is just plain stoopid.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @axe said:

    Iron Maiden NOT being in the Hall is just plain stoopid.

    Well, they are up this year......and the same thing can be said about any number of acts. 

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #25

    153028245_163985915398190_38001648231390

  • ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Soundgarden  covers Devos Girl you want

    also Fuck the rnr hall of fame

  • Soundgarden  covers Devos Girl you want

    also Fuck the rnr hall of fame

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @atom said:

    Soundgarden  covers Devos Girl you want

    also Fuck the rnr hall of fame

    They care less about your opinion than you do theirs 

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Iron Maiden should be in. They have some great songs and their live shows are AWESOME. I’ve seen them numerous times and they rock

  • Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @westside-steve said:

    Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #30

  • @westside-steve said:

    Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

     We were playing out around that area quite a bit from 1970 on; that's not the way I remember it but it's possible I could be mistaken.

    WSS

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Well it's certainly possible you know something I don't. Wouldn't be the first and probably not the last time. 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #33

    The only semi solid piece of memory I have on that subject was with the management at filthy mcnasty 's. And of course my memory aint what it might be. Hah.

    WSS

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #34

    I just watched an interview with gerry casale where he says mothersbaugh was in a hard rock cover band pre devo and in the early days of devo they would often lie and bill themselves as a cover band to get booked, so in a way I guess you're right. 

  • @westside-steve said:

    Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno  from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.

     But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.

    WSS

    [Edit]  Nothing specific on the Web

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

    https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution

    Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

    https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution

    Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @ibleedbrown said:

    https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution

    Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.

    But, isn't it fair to say that  devolution may be just another form of  evolution to what seems to be a lesser species, but really is not?

    Take birds that evolved from dinosaurs.  Birds are an apparent lower life form from dinosaurs, but is that really true?  They are certainly a much smaller, generally less intimidating life form,  but are they really inferior? I mean, most birds can fly where nearly no dinosaurs could.  That seems to me like a superior physiological trait than just being massive in size. 

    And take the "Grey Aliens".    Some have surmised that they are not aliens at all....but actually  evolved...or devolved  humans  who have come back in time to study the origin  or our species.  They are seemingly  are a smaller, weaker physical form,  yet clearly if they are capable of time/space travel, they will be highly evolved intellectually.  

    So, which is it? 

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #37

    1616730149-picsay.jpg

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days 

    devodkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkHARDCORE.jpg

    https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution

    Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @ibleedbrown said:

    https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution

    Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.

    I haven't read your link yet but I assume you mean jocko homo heaven bound 

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #39