Hall of Fame debate rages on
-
-
-
-
-
-
Iron Maiden should be in. They have some great songs and their live shows are AWESOME. I’ve seen them numerous times and they rock
-
Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.
But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.
WSS
[Edit] Nothing specific on the Web
Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.
But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.
WSS
[Edit] Nothing specific on the Web
Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days
-
-
Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.
But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.
WSS
[Edit] Nothing specific on the Web
Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days
Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days
We were playing out around that area quite a bit from 1970 on; that's not the way I remember it but it's possible I could be mistaken.
WSS
-
Well it's certainly possible you know something I don't. Wouldn't be the first and probably not the last time.
-
The only semi solid piece of memory I have on that subject was with the management at filthy mcnasty 's. And of course my memory aint what it might be. Hah.
WSS
-
I just watched an interview with gerry casale where he says mothersbaugh was in a hard rock cover band pre devo and in the early days of devo they would often lie and bill themselves as a cover band to get booked, so in a way I guess you're right.
-
Just an FYI I Devo did start out as a cover band but they weren't very good and didn't get many gigs. I will look this up to make sure I am not mistaken but I think there is some sort of a wink wink relationship between motherbaugh and Brian Eno from whence came the clown suits and the novelty song which became a hit.
But mark mothersbaugh is certainly an accomplished musician.
WSS
[Edit] Nothing specific on the Web
Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days
Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution
Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.
-
Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution
Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution
Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.
But, isn't it fair to say that devolution may be just another form of evolution to what seems to be a lesser species, but really is not?
Take birds that evolved from dinosaurs. Birds are an apparent lower life form from dinosaurs, but is that really true? They are certainly a much smaller, generally less intimidating life form, but are they really inferior? I mean, most birds can fly where nearly no dinosaurs could. That seems to me like a superior physiological trait than just being massive in size.
And take the "Grey Aliens". Some have surmised that they are not aliens at all....but actually evolved...or devolved humans who have come back in time to study the origin or our species. They are seemingly are a smaller, weaker physical form, yet clearly if they are capable of time/space travel, they will be highly evolved intellectually.
So, which is it?
-
-
Devo was never a cover band as devo. It was always a performance art piece based on a sort of jokey theory one of the casale's came up with at kent state with another guy who was a founding member of the band but left before the mothersbaugh brothers got involved. I would consider them peers to the early new wave art house types like the talking heads. While the talking heads went on to have better careers in the late 70s when that scene was hitting it's groove at cbgb and max's kansas city Devo was a way more fully formed concept. Sadly they sort of flamed out after 'freedom of choice' in my opinion. Their first two albums were all time classics for me though. I prefer the early incarnation before the ziggurat hat days
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution
Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/q_are_we_not_men_the_origins_of_devos_theory_of_de-evolution
Good read on Devo’s early influences. There was a series of wild religious pamphlets written in the 1920s that touted the theory of de-evolution (in response to the theory of evolution of course) which is where the name stems from and some of their earlier work is based off.
I haven't read your link yet but I assume you mean jocko homo heaven bound
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login


