Skip to content

Go Sign Mo Hurst

The Browns Board
41 16 1.4k
  • @mld-woody said:

    @tiamat63  never mind, found your original and most recent thoughts

    /topic/48484

    /topic/59987

    Going to answer your post several ways.

    - Would I Take Mo over Sheldon Day? Yes

    - Would I sign him just to have him? No. Cost is a real question here, but he sure wouldn't be expensive.

    - What is happening with Richardson? Restructure and Mo likely becomes a pipe dream. Release and a combination of Mo + a mid round target (my early name is Alim McNeil) and I feel you can really get some quality snaps and scheme flexibility with redundancy from those two.   Then Malik Jackson becomes the elder statesman on the IDL with that playoff veteran saavy.

    - Would MH be our best interior pass rusher not named Clowney or Myles in subpackates? Yes

    The answer rooted in true realism is entirely dependent upon what transpires with Sheldon Richardson.  Mo is a fine player who could be a breakout candidate IMHO.  But health permitting, might not get that shake. 

    And going back to read my eval, I was effusive in my praise of Mo and what he does well.  Even said his talent (save for his health) was worthy of a high(er) pick.  Which likely would have happened if not for his heart.

    ....and you said I was wrong. 

    Edit: my IDL building philosophy values players like MH. In case that wasn't clear.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Going to answer your post several ways.

    - Would I Take Mo over Sheldon Day? Yes

    - Would I sign him just to have him? No. Cost is a real question here, but he sure wouldn't be expensive.

    - What is happening with Richardson? Restructure and Mo likely becomes a pipe dream. Release and a combination of Mo + a mid round target (my early name is Alim McNeil) and I feel you can really get some quality snaps and scheme flexibility with redundancy from those two.   Then Malik Jackson becomes the elder statesman on the IDL with that playoff veteran saavy.

    - Would MH be our best interior pass rusher not named Clowney or Myles in subpackates? Yes

    The answer rooted in true realism is entirely dependent upon what transpires with Sheldon Richardson.  Mo is a fine player who could be a breakout candidate IMHO.  But health permitting, might not get that shake. 

    And going back to read my eval, I was effusive in my praise of Mo and what he does well.  Even said his talent (save for his health) was worthy of a high(er) pick.  Which likely would have happened if not for his heart.

    ....and you said I was wrong. 

    Edit: my IDL building philosophy values players like MH. In case that wasn't clear.

    Looking at that thread, I don't think I said you were wrong. I think I said someone else was and that post no longer exists. It looks like I was more or less agreeing with you...

  • Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

  • Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    @tiamat63 said:

    Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    Da Fuck?  I thought he was going to be a mainstay on our DL.  Both DTs from last year to be gone?  He and Ogunjobi?   Seems like we now know what the are focusing in on in the draft. 

  • they brought back freddie kitchens as a personal evaluater

  • Go get Mo?

    moe GIF | The three stooges, Moe howard, The stooges

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    Da Fuck?  I thought he was going to be a mainstay on our DL.  Both DTs from last year to be gone?  He and Ogunjobi?   Seems like we now know what the are focusing in on in the draft. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Da Fuck?  I thought he was going to be a mainstay on our DL.  Both DTs from last year to be gone?  He and Ogunjobi?   Seems like we now know what the are focusing in on in the draft. 

    Richardson was scheduled to be the third highest player on our roster this year behind the two lsu  receivers. He was going to be paid as a top 10 dt this year. If he wasn't going to restructure or sign an extension with less money this was always likely to happen.

  • Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    @tiamat63 said:

    Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    aVOSkIC.gif

  • @the-gipper said:

    Da Fuck?  I thought he was going to be a mainstay on our DL.  Both DTs from last year to be gone?  He and Ogunjobi?   Seems like we now know what the are focusing in on in the draft. 

    Richardson was scheduled to be the third highest player on our roster this year behind the two lsu  receivers. He was going to be paid as a top 10 dt this year. If he wasn't going to restructure or sign an extension with less money this was always likely to happen.

    @bjh2130 said:

    Richardson was scheduled to be the third highest player on our roster this year behind the two lsu  receivers. He was going to be paid as a top 10 dt this year. If he wasn't going to restructure or sign an extension with less money this was always likely to happen.

    I assumed they already had any cap issues worked out before they signed Clowney without having to cut anyone. 

    Can Clowney play DT? 

  • Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    @tiamat63 said:

    Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    The new spelling for #98 on the roster will be Barmore.  I'm telling ya they have him on that radar.    LOL!?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    The new spelling for #98 on the roster will be Barmore.  I'm telling ya they have him on that radar.    LOL!?

    @texasag1969 said:

    The new spelling for #98 on the roster will be Barmore.  I'm telling ya they have him on that radar.    LOL!?

    Do you like Barmore?

    We just can't tell. Stop beating around the bush. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    The new spelling for #98 on the roster will be Barmore.  I'm telling ya they have him on that radar.    LOL!?

    Do you like Barmore?

    We just can't tell. Stop beating around the bush. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Do you like Barmore?

    We just can't tell. Stop beating around the bush. 

    It's Depo moneyball.

  • @bjh2130 said:

    Richardson was scheduled to be the third highest player on our roster this year behind the two lsu  receivers. He was going to be paid as a top 10 dt this year. If he wasn't going to restructure or sign an extension with less money this was always likely to happen.

    I assumed they already had any cap issues worked out before they signed Clowney without having to cut anyone. 

    Can Clowney play DT? 

    @the-gipper said:

    I assumed they already had any cap issues worked out

    Copied from another thread; below is Browns 2021 cap reality.

    Browns salary obligations as of 4/16 after Richardson removed are 25.8M over the cap for 2021. The number to pay attention to is "Total Cap Liabilities" - cap is 182.5, dead is 2.7, salaries of active rostered players are 205.6.  Rookies based on the wage scale are 8.9M.  This doesn't include the 1-year rollover [100% of the "cap space" entry of 20.9 on OTC] so Browns are still 4.9M over if nothing else was happening before season start, 13.8M over when you include signing the rookie pool.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Do you like Barmore?

    We just can't tell. Stop beating around the bush. 

    It's Depo moneyball.

    @texasag1969 said:

    It's Depo moneyball.

    Can Chris Pratt play DLine? 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    It's Depo moneyball.

    Can Chris Pratt play DLine? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Can Chris Pratt play DLine? 

    I'm hoping the salaries of players cut to reach 53 and not onto PS will come off that total so perhaps we don't to cut more guys who contribute. But i need to look that up somewhere.

    Sometimes diving into the weeds is annoying. Sometimes!

  • @the-gipper said:

    I assumed they already had any cap issues worked out

    Copied from another thread; below is Browns 2021 cap reality.

    Browns salary obligations as of 4/16 after Richardson removed are 25.8M over the cap for 2021. The number to pay attention to is "Total Cap Liabilities" - cap is 182.5, dead is 2.7, salaries of active rostered players are 205.6.  Rookies based on the wage scale are 8.9M.  This doesn't include the 1-year rollover [100% of the "cap space" entry of 20.9 on OTC] so Browns are still 4.9M over if nothing else was happening before season start, 13.8M over when you include signing the rookie pool.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Browns salary obligations are 25.8M over the cap for 2021.. and that's after removing Richardson's contract. 

     13.8M over when you include signing the rookie pool.

    Stunned Confundido GIF - Stunned Confundido Verwirrt GIFs    Yeah Steve.. We too...  were all the sudden the Saints..

    edit-- what am i missing here.. how much was Richardson's cap hit savings?

  • My understanding is that Hurst was put on waivers, so there are many teams that could claim him before our turn comes.

  • Richardson's charge against 2021 was 13.16, exact same as his salary in 2020. Dead hit against 2021 after cutting him is 1 2/3.  So savings vs cap is 11.5.

    Found a flaw in my calculations - only 65 who make the roster [53 active, 12 practice squad] will charge against the cap. That total currently is 201.6 [the highest-paid 65] rather than the 208.3 i said above and shown on OTC.  Note that's only a difference of 6.7.. so we're "still" over the cap but only by 7m.

    And here we still haven't included the rookies on the roster.. in calculations before I just added the rookie cost onto the end of the roster.  Say all 9 make the team. Rookie pool is 8,931,008.. I'll underestimate and remove the 9 lowest salaries.. so top 56 plus the rookies.  Or, to be exact, top 55 plus DPJ because DPJ's salary as a 7th rounder is 826 while the vet minimum is 850.  So the 65 for 2021 season including the draftpicks is 200,658,119.  Dead is 2,681,770. Cap is 182,500,000. So 203,339,889 is our 2021 total..

    This assumes the most expensive guys make the roster.. if JoJoNatson [874,265] gets cut and Sheldon Day makes the roster [850] that's 25k lower roster expense.

    So with cap space of 20,935,462 and these assumptions [which won't play out] we're now 95,573 under the cap for 2021.

    Let's see what happens!

  • Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    @tiamat63 said:

    Browns just released Richardson.

    So.......

    I'm waiting for them to sign Mo. If not, I won't like having Clowney over Richardson. Clowney+Mo Hurst makes sense to me as an upgrade from last season. 

  • they also waived key.

    @lbc-mike said:

    they also waived key.

    Sign him up ....who would not want a Key to help unlock the Chubb ....

  • atkins is still out there