Skip to content

Reasons why the Browns' defense will take them to the superbowl

The Browns Board
67 16 2.7k 2
  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I’m at the point where I can give a flip about rankings. It is more about how we matchup against the teams that will stand in our way of getting to the Super Bow:

    KC

    Baltimore

    Buffalo

    Miami (maybe)

    Tennesee (maybe) 

    Indy (maybe)

    We are good enough to go to the Super Bowl.  

    The three at the top of the list what is this defenses answer to Mahomes, Kelce, Hill.  Baltimore: How are we containing Jackson and making it hard on Dobbins and can we cover Andrews? Can we bring out wild Josh Allen and contain Diggs?  
     

    The season is win enough games to get into the final tournament and do well enough to hold these kinds of weapons in check so our offense can score one more point than either of these three teams.  Force a punt, a turnover, make them kick a couple FGs and let the offense so it’s job it is more than capable of...

    Our fate is in Baker’s hands if he can take another step (he’ll need the line and his weapons to perform again) you gotta like our chances throwing out all the rankings and records. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    We're gonna see some 4-1-6 D this season... including up to 4 starting caliber CBs on the field at the same time.

    Always a factor, but we also have another "-th" for a change... depth...

    Actually with Young JOK on the field and either Malcolm or Taki as the solo backer, I tend to think of it as a "Nickel plus" defense.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @tiamat63 said:

    Actually with Young JOK on the field and either Malcolm or Taki as the solo backer, I tend to think of it as a "Nickel plus" defense.

    But the "1" in my 4-1-6 is JOK...

    His one assignment? Shallow middle zone with one eye on the QB... 1-1/2 if it's a running QB... 2 if it's Jackson... although he still might not be fast enough in that last case.

    There's always the 4-0-7...  Welcome to the Will Mr. Harrison! 😉

    Add in a DL including MG and Clowney and Takk and I wonder if there has ever been a faster D put on a field...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Actually with Young JOK on the field and either Malcolm or Taki as the solo backer, I tend to think of it as a "Nickel plus" defense.

    But the "1" in my 4-1-6 is JOK...

    His one assignment? Shallow middle zone with one eye on the QB... 1-1/2 if it's a running QB... 2 if it's Jackson... although he still might not be fast enough in that last case.

    There's always the 4-0-7...  Welcome to the Will Mr. Harrison! 😉

    Add in a DL including MG and Clowney and Takk and I wonder if there has ever been a faster D put on a field...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @tour2ma said:

    Add in a DL including MG and Clowney and Takk and I wonder if there has ever been a faster D put on a field...

    I cannot emphasize how pleased I am that Berry, Stef and all staff recognize that in defense, speed kills. Got to acquire it and then coach it up right. But without it you're sunk from the snap. And in today's offenses it pushes the limits of any QB, regardless of skill or speed. This is going to be a fun season.?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Actually with Young JOK on the field and either Malcolm or Taki as the solo backer, I tend to think of it as a "Nickel plus" defense.

    But the "1" in my 4-1-6 is JOK...

    His one assignment? Shallow middle zone with one eye on the QB... 1-1/2 if it's a running QB... 2 if it's Jackson... although he still might not be fast enough in that last case.

    There's always the 4-0-7...  Welcome to the Will Mr. Harrison! 😉

    Add in a DL including MG and Clowney and Takk and I wonder if there has ever been a faster D put on a field...

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @tour2ma said:

    His one assignment? Shallow middle zone with one eye on the QB... 1-1/2 if it's a running QB... 2 if it's Jackson... although he still might not be fast enough in that last case.

    Wu can handle those kind of assignments...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #21

    Exciting stuff to look forward to - defense.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #22

    Our D is certainly going to be the biggest difference between 2020 and '21...

    Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE me some D?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #23
  • Our D is certainly going to be the biggest difference between 2020 and '21...

    Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE me some D?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @tour2ma said:

    Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE me some D?

    takei oh my.jpeg

  • @tour2ma said:

    Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE me some D?

    takei oh my.jpeg

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @dutch-oven said:

    takei oh my.jpeg

    That 2...

    You have one more use left... try not to waste it as you did here.

    1st use was outstanding, so we know you can do it.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    takei oh my.jpeg

    That 2...

    You have one more use left... try not to waste it as you did here.

    1st use was outstanding, so we know you can do it.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @tour2ma said:

    That 2...

    You have one more use left... try not to waste it as you did here.

    1st use was outstanding, so we know you can do it.

    This use was super and/or duper.

    Stop raining on my parade. ?

  • @tour2ma said:

    That 2...

    You have one more use left... try not to waste it as you did here.

    1st use was outstanding, so we know you can do it.

    This use was super and/or duper.

    Stop raining on my parade. ?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @dutch-oven said:

    Stop raining on my parade. ?

    That wasn't "rain".

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Stop raining on my parade. ?

    That wasn't "rain".

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    That wasn't "rain".

    Some guys pay extra for that...

  • @tour2ma said:

    That wasn't "rain".

    Some guys pay extra for that...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @dutch-oven said:

    Some guys pay extra for that...

    Usually you pay double for that kind of action, Cotton. 

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    I'm back! Miss me guys? Check that, let's not find out. 

    I definitely missed you guys and I'm back from a little Browns hiatus and I'm ready to talk football. Now, the defense. It's no secret that I absolutely detested our defense last year. I think we won way too many games on the backs of our offense and our defense squandered WAY too many big leads. Leads protected by a timely drive our offense pulled out. 

    I WANT to give Joe Woods a break. He probably deserves it. He had to play some serious nobodies at key positions at times he shouldn't have, but questions remain. If the defense takes a step, specifically in closing out games, we're serious trouble for people. 

  • The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.


    Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

    You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

    three keys this year...

    1. Health

    2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

    3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.


    Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

    You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

    three keys this year...

    1. Health

    2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

    3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.


    Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

    You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

    three keys this year...

    1. Health

    2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

    3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #32

    @nickers said:

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

    “Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

    That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

    You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

    I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

    The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

    This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

    The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

    the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

    The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

    With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

    https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

  • @nickers said:

    I'm not sold on Joe Woods.. I think he's pure shit for a DC..

    “Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

    That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

    You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

    I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tiamat63 said:

    “Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding."

    That's you in a god damn nutshell.   When you're asked "why do you think that?" you basically jam your thumb up your ass and go "DERRRR IDK WHY I JUST DO".

    You're a fucking clown, nickers.  You have the football I.Q. of a squirrel.     The only difference is that a squirrel doesn't arrogantly beat their chest like they know what they're talking about.

    I'm getting back to grilling, you have a blessed holiday.   

    And you're a big ASSHOLE with Dunning Kruger Syndrome

     Have a nice day Know it all!

  • Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

    The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

    This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

    The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

    the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

    The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

    With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

    https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @calfoxwc said:

    Joe Woods actually did a good job covering for a lack of talent in the secondary and lb's.

    The Browns defense was lacking speed. I just can't see blaming Woods and asst coaches for a lack of talent.

    This year? I don't see Woods having the same problems. Does anybody, seriously?

    The truth is, imho, that Woods has tremendous experience in both the 4-3 and 3-4 and all

    the tweaks in between. He did a lot of good things in covering for a lack of talent - it's all you can do.

    The Browns know that - that is why they had to fix the secondary and lb position in the draft and FA.

    With the talent now? barring a flood of injuries, the Browns defense should be a top five defense.

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/04/4-things-to-know-about-new-browns-dc-joe-woods/

    https://www.brownszone.com/2021/06/17/coordinator-joe-woods-knows-hes-under-pressure-to-produce-with-lots-of-talent-added-to-defense/

    Sorry Cal.. Joe Woods is garbage..

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Make or break year for Joe.