Skip to content

Camp Battles / Browns Training Camp 2021

The Browns Board
158 21 5.7k 1
  • @calfoxwc said:

    Tyreek Hill was mostly a kr when he came to the Chiefs - he had even been labeled a possible UDFA. Anthony IS a wr from the gitgo, even though he has a lot to learn, too. I expect to see Scwartz make a big difference with the Browns - not sure if he will be pressed into big productivity as soon.

    When i can see if tSchwartz is T.Hill/Landry strong enough to get off press man in the 5 yards given...Than we may have something..I doubt NFL teams will let Schwartz have his 8-10 yard college free releases, saw on most of his college tape... It's the same thing 'fast as a comet' John Ross saw & is failing at..  

    Our Punt return job is wide open..TAKE IT! He'll have to catch a punt first...THan address the NFL train wrecks ahead next.. He has the size & speed to do it.. I'll have my 'hate the pick in the 3rd' Anthony glasses on ? him early & late... 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #47

    @gumby73 said:

    When i can see if tSchwartz is T.Hill/Landry strong enough to get off press man in the 5 yards given...Than we may have something..I doubt NFL teams will let Schwartz have his 8-10 yard college free releases, saw on most of his college tape... It's the same thing 'fast as a comet' John Ross saw & is failing at..  

    Our Punt return job is wide open..TAKE IT! He'll have to catch a punt first...THan address the NFL train wrecks ahead next.. He has the size & speed to do it.. I'll have my 'hate the pick in the 3rd' Anthony glasses on ? him early & late... 

    They will press him at first.  I don't think being stuck at the LOS will be a problem.  As you said, teams played off him a lot in college.  I don't think they started out doing that. I think they backed off because he was beating the press and scorching people deeper.  I see it as there was a reason they played off  coverage.  he did play in the SEC.  It's not like he was facing crap teams or crap corners week in and week out.  

    No doubt that time will tell and he will need to work on his technique

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #48

    Beating press, any type of bump, jam whatever, is every bit as much about fluidity in movement,  hand usage and footwork (especially off the line) then it is simply strength.  Ever see Desean Jackson? He's 5'9 165lbs and not very strong.  If strength was the biggest factor then he would be getting owned by just about every corner in the NFL.

    Granted, being a smaller target I'm sure helps.  Less strike area to get your hands on and Schwartz is a decently built kid as opposed to the smaller speed guys we've mentioned here ( 5'11 about 190) 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #49

    I agree.  

    Plus, being bigger means there is more area to hit resulting in illegal contact downfield.

    Bottom line, not getting off the line and in to the route isn't going to be a problem

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    Training camp tickets are open and available lottery style.

    I put in for the Wednesday's. I'd like to make an early camp and a later camp.  So if you're there on the 4th, 11th or 25th - holla.  I'm trying to make all 3 and play catch up on missing my camp threads from a couple years ago.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #51

    Zombo said:

    Hooper seemed lead-footed to me.

    Bryant could be the future at the position.

    Z

    Hooper is one of those guys who does everything well, nothing great. They overpaid for him, for sure, but that level of veteran experience and reliability bodes well for the position. I'd be really surprised if he's on the roster next year (something like $6 million can be saved against the cap),  but I think he's great for this team could be this season.

    Nice to see you all back here, by the way! With vaccines in arms and a quarantine 19 month old toddler, we've been making up for lost time with family and friends. But, I was able to buy a new house with a new 75'' TV and a recliner that I can't wait to argue with you mofos on Sundays in. 

  • Zombo said:

    Hooper seemed lead-footed to me.

    Bryant could be the future at the position.

    Z

    Hooper is one of those guys who does everything well, nothing great. They overpaid for him, for sure, but that level of veteran experience and reliability bodes well for the position. I'd be really surprised if he's on the roster next year (something like $6 million can be saved against the cap),  but I think he's great for this team could be this season.

    Nice to see you all back here, by the way! With vaccines in arms and a quarantine 19 month old toddler, we've been making up for lost time with family and friends. But, I was able to buy a new house with a new 75'' TV and a recliner that I can't wait to argue with you mofos on Sundays in. 

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @jrb12711 said:

    Nice to see you all back here, by the way! With vaccines in arms and a quarantine 19 month old toddler

    My 7-week old is at grandma's until tomorrow afternoon.. freedom for a night! Stay safe, everyone -- the new variant is increasing [read: Spreading from person to person] even in the states with high vax rates.  My hospital still requires masks indoors.. ignorance is no excuse either for you or the people you will transmit it to [yes, even unintentionally].

    Science is always advancing.. this past year's virtual eradication of the otherwise benign viral asthma triggers may have been the key all along.

    Now let's get out there and arm wrestle over the difference during a play of 2 guys' 4.58 and 4.63 40-yard times!

  • Zombo said:

    Hooper seemed lead-footed to me.

    Bryant could be the future at the position.

    Z

    Hooper is one of those guys who does everything well, nothing great. They overpaid for him, for sure, but that level of veteran experience and reliability bodes well for the position. I'd be really surprised if he's on the roster next year (something like $6 million can be saved against the cap),  but I think he's great for this team could be this season.

    Nice to see you all back here, by the way! With vaccines in arms and a quarantine 19 month old toddler, we've been making up for lost time with family and friends. But, I was able to buy a new house with a new 75'' TV and a recliner that I can't wait to argue with you mofos on Sundays in. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @jrb12711 said:

    Hooper is one of those guys who does everything well, nothing great. They overpaid for him, for sure, but that level of veteran experience and reliability bodes well for the position. I'd be really surprised if he's on the roster next year (something like $6 million can be saved against the cap),  but I think he's great for this team could be this season.

    Nice to see you all back here, by the way! With vaccines in arms and a quarantine 19 month old toddler, we've been making up for lost time with family and friends. But, I was able to buy a new house with a new 75'' TV and a recliner that I can't wait to argue with you mofos on Sundays in. 

    The cap hit on Hooper is pretty ugly the next two years.  We are better off using him and parting ways with Njoku.  I’ve always said Njoku will be better on his second contract it is too bad we are developing him for someone else.

    Congrats on everything.  I have a 19 month old too.  The Baker jersey she had last year should fit better. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Nice to see you all back here, by the way! With vaccines in arms and a quarantine 19 month old toddler

    My 7-week old is at grandma's until tomorrow afternoon.. freedom for a night! Stay safe, everyone -- the new variant is increasing [read: Spreading from person to person] even in the states with high vax rates.  My hospital still requires masks indoors.. ignorance is no excuse either for you or the people you will transmit it to [yes, even unintentionally].

    Science is always advancing.. this past year's virtual eradication of the otherwise benign viral asthma triggers may have been the key all along.

    Now let's get out there and arm wrestle over the difference during a play of 2 guys' 4.58 and 4.63 40-yard times!

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @unsympathetic said:

    My 7-week old is at grandma's until tomorrow afternoon.. freedom for a night! Stay safe, everyone -- the new variant is increasing [read: Spreading from person to person] even in the states with high vax rates.  My hospital still requires masks indoors.. ignorance is no excuse either for you or the people you will transmit it to [yes, even unintentionally].

    Science is always advancing.. this past year's virtual eradication of the otherwise benign viral asthma triggers may have been the key all along.

    Now let's get out there and arm wrestle over the difference during a play of 2 guys' 4.58 and 4.63 40-yard times!

    yep, don't want to deflect too much but I'll say, honestly, wearing a mask has just kept me healthier overall. I recently went to a casino and wore my mask most of the time, and it was amazing how much better I felt not breathing in smoke for 8 hours. Good luck with that 7 week old!

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The cap hit on Hooper is pretty ugly the next two years.  We are better off using him and parting ways with Njoku.  I’ve always said Njoku will be better on his second contract it is too bad we are developing him for someone else.

    Congrats on everything.  I have a 19 month old too.  The Baker jersey she had last year should fit better. 

    For sure, but assuming I'm reading it correctly we can recoup $6 million in 2022 if he gets cut. I'm really not an expert on this stuff, but that could go a long way assuming we want to keep Ward, Chubb, and Mayfield. 

    You too man! I think the wildest thing is that our kids won't remember this at all (God willing). My daughter is so used to seeing people in masks she even tries to put them back on our faces. 

  • @unsympathetic said:

    My 7-week old is at grandma's until tomorrow afternoon.. freedom for a night! Stay safe, everyone -- the new variant is increasing [read: Spreading from person to person] even in the states with high vax rates.  My hospital still requires masks indoors.. ignorance is no excuse either for you or the people you will transmit it to [yes, even unintentionally].

    Science is always advancing.. this past year's virtual eradication of the otherwise benign viral asthma triggers may have been the key all along.

    Now let's get out there and arm wrestle over the difference during a play of 2 guys' 4.58 and 4.63 40-yard times!

    yep, don't want to deflect too much but I'll say, honestly, wearing a mask has just kept me healthier overall. I recently went to a casino and wore my mask most of the time, and it was amazing how much better I felt not breathing in smoke for 8 hours. Good luck with that 7 week old!

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The cap hit on Hooper is pretty ugly the next two years.  We are better off using him and parting ways with Njoku.  I’ve always said Njoku will be better on his second contract it is too bad we are developing him for someone else.

    Congrats on everything.  I have a 19 month old too.  The Baker jersey she had last year should fit better. 

    For sure, but assuming I'm reading it correctly we can recoup $6 million in 2022 if he gets cut. I'm really not an expert on this stuff, but that could go a long way assuming we want to keep Ward, Chubb, and Mayfield. 

    You too man! I think the wildest thing is that our kids won't remember this at all (God willing). My daughter is so used to seeing people in masks she even tries to put them back on our faces. 

    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #55

    @jrb12711 said:

    assuming I'm reading it correctly we can recoup $6 million in 2022 if he gets cut. I'm really not an expert on this stuff

    Austin Hooper's Contract Details

    Go to the top of the section colored red on the right side. Select either Cut (post-June 1] or Trade (post-June1).

    In 2022 after 6/1, Hooper's dead hit [left column of the colored section] is only 3.75 and cap savings [right column] is 9.5.

    I'd bet more than 1 posts in this thread would be different if this was noted earlier..

    Unless TexansHQ is somehow convinced to take his contract [for a 3rd round 2022 pick, let's enjoy this dream], I think Hooper gets cut on 6/2/22 due to the savings kicking in before the 22 season.. and presuming Njoku continues in 2021 with his 2020 play, Njoku will be the one to get re-signed very quickly after the season.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #56

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2020/3/31/21202198/breakdown-of-te-austin-hoopers-contract-with-the-browns

    This paints the Hooper contract in a different light.

    And before I cut Hooper I’d need to find out what Njoku is looking for and I also want to see how Bryant develops

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    So I'm very fortunate to be close with a couple people who have classmates (people I've met as well recently and we have a group text talking about football) who have insight into the team. (on staff, not coaching) 

    Came up in conversation last night -  I guess Newsome looks "real" and "ahead of" Greedy.   Their words, not mine.    I didn't even have to mention anything, they just started giving some nice hints.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #58

  • So I'm very fortunate to be close with a couple people who have classmates (people I've met as well recently and we have a group text talking about football) who have insight into the team. (on staff, not coaching) 

    Came up in conversation last night -  I guess Newsome looks "real" and "ahead of" Greedy.   Their words, not mine.    I didn't even have to mention anything, they just started giving some nice hints.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @tiamat63 said:

    So I'm very fortunate to be close with a couple people who have classmates (people I've met as well recently and we have a group text talking about football) who have insight into the team. (on staff, not coaching) 

    Came up in conversation last night -  I guess Newsome looks "real" and "ahead of" Greedy.   Their words, not mine.    I didn't even have to mention anything, they just started giving some nice hints.

    Ahead of Greedy and no NFL starts?.. I find that hard to believe...

  • Zombo said:

    Hooper seemed lead-footed to me.

    ...yes...that's a good way to put it...but Bryant runs like Frankenstein sometimes, with both arms around the ball...because he fumbled a time or two early in the season.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @orion said:

    ...yes...that's a good way to put it...but Bryant runs like Frankenstein sometimes, with both arms around the ball...because he fumbled a time or two early in the season.

    At this stage in Hoopers career... He does not need to be all that fast.. Just run good routes.. Catch when it comes your way... Block when called upon.. can't ask much more than that...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    So I'm very fortunate to be close with a couple people who have classmates (people I've met as well recently and we have a group text talking about football) who have insight into the team. (on staff, not coaching) 

    Came up in conversation last night -  I guess Newsome looks "real" and "ahead of" Greedy.   Their words, not mine.    I didn't even have to mention anything, they just started giving some nice hints.

    Ahead of Greedy and no NFL starts?.. I find that hard to believe...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @nickers said:

    Ahead of Greedy and no NFL starts?.. I find that hard to believe...

    Neat.

    @nickers said:

    When are you people gonna realize Masks don't prevent a fucking thing.. LOL... Keep the fear up!

    EDIT: If you can still smell food cooking... Cologne/Perfume.. other odors... The mask ain't working.. It's not gonna stop spores and viruses from transmitting...

    They are totally fabricated BULLSHIT!

    Neato.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #62

    We could start hearing some medical updates around the 27th.. Greedy Williams was limited in both OTA's & Mandatory's.. So it sounds like? GW would still need cleared to practice?

    When does the Cleveland Browns' training camp begin?

    The Cleveland Browns' 2021 training camp begins on Tuesday, July 27. For the first time in league history, NFL teams will have a unified start to training camp. ?

    Media & fans are welcome in Friday the 30th... Than video's like these take a seat to real on the field action...?

    with a injury history like these two? It's going to be easy to cheer for both at camp... ?

    Greedy defends his spot.. while Newsome seems to bring a bigger dawg bite... Get Ready!?

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Not at the training camp, but a nice picture of two great quarterbacks:

    May be an image of 3 people and people standing

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @sdbacker80 said:

    how in the world is Hooper only a 3.75 cap hit after next season

    3.75 dead hit to the cap if cut or traded after 6/1/22 and therefore not on the roster.. Hooper is 13.25 if on the roster for 2022.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #65

    Last Happy Friday before Training Camp ! ?

    ImageImage 

    Camp win #one.. no hideous brown stripe end zones ? 75th Anniversary Zones  https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/23/browns-new-endzone-art-celebrates-inaugural-year/

    si's Pete Smith doing Hol(e)y Pete Smith things.. https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-training-camp-roster-projection

  • Last Happy Friday before Training Camp ! ?

    ImageImage 

    Camp win #one.. no hideous brown stripe end zones ? 75th Anniversary Zones  https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/23/browns-new-endzone-art-celebrates-inaugural-year/

    si's Pete Smith doing Hol(e)y Pete Smith things.. https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-training-camp-roster-projection

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @gumby73 said:

    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/23/browns-new-endzone-art-celebrates-inaugural-year/

    That looks great!  (I followed the link, copied and pasted into MS Paint...nice and big)  I'm still curious (in a haunted way) as to what Jimmuh, Dee, and son-in-law come up with for a 75th uniform (hoping it's not one of their clown outfit ideas).