Skip to content

Observations

The Browns Board
53 26 3.4k
  • @restinpeace said:

    Alex Hall played poorly. His skills aren't matching up. Yet, the locals wanna try and prop this kid.

    He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore. People - Chris Johnson ran one of the best 40s ever timed by a RB at Indy so if a 2nd year LBer had trouble beating him to his flats - clue me in how many LBers in this league run better than 4.2s.

    Furthermore - as I've said before, Jared Cook is the HOT topic of Tenn training camp because nobody can hang with that guy when they use him as a TE. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say their LBers are a little more proven than ours at this time so if they're having trouble - I GET it. It's why Cook leads their team with 17 receptions in his first 3 games. It ain't regular season yet but they think he's gonna be an X-factor in the passing game barrign the outcome of that injury he suffered yesterday.

    About our offense. just remember that Tenn D last year swarmed Pittsburgh's offense and Haynesworth didn't even suit up for that game. I think his backup inside had 2 or 3 sacks so don't think all their success was just Haynesworth-induced. SURE, he'll be missed but they have talent coming out of the woodwork.

    Our offense didn't EXPLODE but they moved the ball. Time of possession can prove to be invaluable when it's one of those close games and you need the fresh legs late in the game. Moving the ball breeds confidence and reason for the cause. That being the case, I didn't see or hear any Rollover Beethoven in quarters #3 and 4 yesterday. Bartel even looked good

    - Tom F.

  • Fluges is right: Tennessee is a ridiculously talented team.

    I don't think Jason Jones - the guy who notched 3.5 sacks against the Steelers last year - played last night, but he's just one guy in what is a very nice DT rotation. Tony Brown, Kevin Vickerson, and Jovan Haye are all guys who could start elsewhere - and as a 2010 FA, Vickerson would be a pretty nice pickup for us.

    Their 2nd/3rd string includes Sen'Derrick Marks, a 2nd round rookie, and LaJuan Ramsey, a 4th year guy who finally seems to be putting it together. Ramsey probably won't make the team but will find work elsewhere; I've been impressed with how strong he is at the POA.

    Our d-line depth is strong, but theirs is even stronger.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    He got burnt, BAD at least 3 times.

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore. People - Chris Johnson ran one of the best 40s ever timed by a RB at Indy so if a 2nd year LBer had trouble beating him to his flats - clue me in how many LBers in this league run better than 4.2s.

    Furthermore - as I've said before, Jared Cook is the HOT topic of Tenn training camp because nobody can hang with that guy when they use him as a TE. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say their LBers are a little more proven than ours at this time so if they're having trouble - I GET it. It's why Cook leads their team with 17 receptions in his first 3 games. It ain't regular season yet but they think he's gonna be an X-factor in the passing game barrign the outcome of that injury he suffered yesterday.

    About our offense. just remember that Tenn D last year swarmed Pittsburgh's offense and Haynesworth didn't even suit up for that game. I think his backup inside had 2 or 3 sacks so don't think all their success was just Haynesworth-induced. SURE, he'll be missed but they have talent coming out of the woodwork.

    Our offense didn't EXPLODE but they moved the ball. Time of possession can prove to be invaluable when it's one of those close games and you need the fresh legs late in the game. Moving the ball breeds confidence and reason for the cause. That being the case, I didn't see or hear any Rollover Beethoven in quarters #3 and 4 yesterday. Bartel even looked good

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore.

    I'm f'ucking Retarded. I meant Alex Mack, sorry. Alex Hall should start.

  • @flugel said:

    And HAll scored a TD on the INT unless they're playing musical jerseys and he's not #51 anymore.

    I'm f'ucking Retarded. I meant Alex Mack, sorry. Alex Hall should start.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    I'm f'ucking Retarded. I meant Alex Mack, sorry. Alex Hall should start.

    You're fine Kosar. Someone in another thread was blasting Hall today so I just piggybacked on the opportunity to discuss him here.

    My gut is telling me - the upgraded coaching staff is going to give us better play on the edge and in coverage. I look for our hook zones and flats to be better covered. Meanwhile I think we're going to see much better contain and outside leverage vrs the run. As I already mentioned, if our NT performance resembles yesterday from our 2nd string NT - that's going to leave alot of FBs blocking our ILBs instead of girthier guards. Should make life alot easier for the ILBers if they're the right guys for the challenge.

    - Tom F.

  • @greythan said:

    Steinbach. Not sure if he's 100%. He got beaten badly on an inside pass rush and sorta flailed at a guy on a screen. His forte is supposed to be his feet and he looked slow on both plays.

    Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.

    When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.

    I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.

    But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.

    Aloysius said:

    Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.

    When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.

    I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.

    But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

  • You're probably allowed one cut at MOST. He hit the hole fast...juked a defender and blew it up. Jamal doesn't hit the hole fast enough and dances a bit too much as well.

    he does a wonderful softshoe though...lol

  • Aloysius said:

    Rookie DT Sen'Derrick Marks also got past Steinbach on a run play. Marks isn't a power player - he only put up a 16 bench at his pro day. Instead, it looked like he was just too quick and - at 6'1" - too low for the 6'6" Steinbach to handle.

    When I was at camp, the players stretched by walking across the field, touching the bottom of their cleats every couple steps. I noticed that Steinbach was the only guy who couldn't (or wouldn't) reach all the way down. Could be nothing, but as someone who has had back issues, I took note of it.

    I still think he'll be a decent starter this year. If anything, it seemed like Womack was having more trouble holding his ground: I saw him get pushed back twice, once by a 2nd team player (LaJuan Ramsey). And there were several plays where both guys did a good job but Jamal was just too slow to make anything of it.

    But I wouldn't be surprised if this is Steiny's last year in Cleveland. That $5.75M 2010 base salary is just a little too pricey for a guy whose best days may be behind him.

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

    Your loyalty to Steinbach is charming, but badly misplaced.

  • Just wanted to send a HUGE thank you to everyone on this thread. After wasting waaaay too much time on those poster bashing threads I find one that has great info and opinions. Not being able to watch many Browns games it's great to read your stuff. Here's hoping for more of the same throughout the season.

  • @flugel said:

    That's interesting. I appreciate you pointing this out Alo and it's making some sense to me. I think Steinbach's adjusting to some type of injury that impacts his ability to play with better leverage. I don't think he's lost a step of quickness or the advantage of knowing the snap count. He also seems to do well in pass protection for the most part.

    His run-blocking looks impacted some to me particularly on the Marks play you described. I learned from a football icon that said it doesn't matter how much you can bench OR lift if you can't SQUAT and play with better leverage than your opponent in the trenches. STRONGER guys don't always win - it's the guys that understand and apply the physics better. If you can remove someone's base by getting underneath them during the collision, You've just won leverage and positioning. 3 years ago Steinbach would have cleaned Marks' clock on that play IMO.

    I agree with what you say that Steinbach is still a decent starter. I think Joe T found him invaluable to the learning curve in 07 when we saw how he did without Steinbach next to him in some of the preseason games. Now i think he'll be a positive influence to Mack on the other side of him.

    - Tom F.

    Your loyalty to Steinbach is charming, but badly misplaced.

    @restinpeace said:

    Your loyalty to Steinbach is charming, but badly misplaced.

    Until you get better at pointing out the WHY behind your statement - your comments kind of get lost in space. That's constructive criticism I hope you take advantage of. All these remarks from you without 1 example of what you mean makes an arguement weak as hell guy. Sorry.

    Steinbach's got a great resume and at this time - we don't have a more proven Guard on the roster. You and I better hope he's good this year or we're in trouble. And then I see the night all 3 of our QBs had throwing the ball and stand by my conclusion that the pass protection held up well. The run-blocking needs to improve BUT so does Jamal getting to the hole when it's there. If you want to pin all that on Steinbach then so be it.

    Furthermore, it wasn't THAT long ago I was looking at a left side of Kevin Shaffer and Joe Andruzzi. So please filll me in on why I should miss Joe Andruzzi as much as you do. Specific examples are welcomed here.

    - Tom F.

  • @gips said:

    BQ is use to smart passing for a living ND had no running game so it may not be as bad a year as you think even though a running game would be nice....😉

    Are you sure about that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Walker

    @drunkandstoopid said:

    Are you sure about that?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Walker

    With an extra half-step, Walker is the next Barry Sanders. And nobody ever knows who Reggie Bush is.

  • Re-watching the game now:

    On a properly set-up and executed screen, Lewis is a wrecking ball in the open field with a step or two. LB'ers coming at him from the sides or back don't have a choice but to get on for the ride for another yard or two. DB's? Please.

  • @earl34 said:

    Not having been able to see the game I was wondering if James Davis had more success than Jamal. Is that the case? It seems like the right side of the line (and particularly Pork Chop) has been struggling mightily.

    The pass defense is a concern but I think that the whole back seven are lacking in overall speed and I think that's a big part of the problem.

    Anyone who saw the game....please advise.

    Actually, IMO Davis looked better then Lewis. Lewis still drags defenders but he isn't getting to the hole fast enough. He hit the holes quicker. Titans play that Ryan 46 defense which is hard to run against. You beat them by throwing short passes screens and quick slants which Quinn did well tonight.

    Womack looked pretty good. Actually the line did a decent job against that Titan front. The pass defense suffered from the Qb not having enough pressure on him. But, you have to remember this is preseason and teams hold back and show vanila fronts and coverages.

    I'm more concerned about the lack of speed of our LBs, covering TEs and RBs then I am about our DBs. Wimbley and Hall both did a nice job against the run and did get some pressure. Collins is a very savy QB and caught used the snap count well to figure out our coverages and blitzes. He caught us a couple times bringing a DB and hit the hot receiver.

    The Titans are a solid team and pulled most of their 1s at the end of the first half. We scored and played great in the 3rd quarter but we were playing most 1s against their 2s.

    All in all, a very solid game.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Actually, IMO Davis looked better then Lewis. Lewis still drags defenders but he isn't getting to the hole fast enough. He hit the holes quicker. Titans play that Ryan 46 defense which is hard to run against. You beat them by throwing short passes screens and quick slants which Quinn did well tonight.

    Womack looked pretty good. Actually the line did a decent job against that Titan front. The pass defense suffered from the Qb not having enough pressure on him. But, you have to remember this is preseason and teams hold back and show vanila fronts and coverages.

    I'm more concerned about the lack of speed of our LBs, covering TEs and RBs then I am about our DBs. Wimbley and Hall both did a nice job against the run and did get some pressure. Collins is a very savy QB and caught used the snap count well to figure out our coverages and blitzes. He caught us a couple times bringing a DB and hit the hot receiver.

    The Titans are a solid team and pulled most of their 1s at the end of the first half. We scored and played great in the 3rd quarter but we were playing most 1s against their 2s.

    All in all, a very solid game.

    Titans dont play the 4-6 not sure where the heck you saw that formation from them that game? The Titans have played the 4-3 for the last ten years Ive never seen them run anything else other than dime and nickle packages out of that.

  • Man does Trent Dilfer have a vendetta or what? He STILL says DA has the edge. Can't wait til BQ is announced the starter and Dilfer goes off on management again.

    @d-qwimbley said:

    Man does Trent Dilfer have a vendetta or what? He STILL says DA has the edge. Can't wait til BQ is announced the starter and Dilfer goes off on management again.

    Dildo and DA are good friends and they have the same agent. Dildo has always lobbied for his buddy..

  • Re-watching the game now:

    On a properly set-up and executed screen, Lewis is a wrecking ball in the open field with a step or two. LB'ers coming at him from the sides or back don't have a choice but to get on for the ride for another yard or two. DB's? Please.

    Agreed.

    However, I'm fearful that he's lost that all important "step".

    Think of it this way, take the same screen (properly set-up and executed) and imagine Jerome Harrison or even James Davis with the ball. Jamal simply isn't a breakaway threat anymore and doesn't scare coordinators (DB's I'm sure he scares the hell out of 😉 ). A younger guy with fresh (re: faster) legs on a properly set-up and executed screen? Scary stuff as you can get gashed.

  • Tom, I'm a Steinbach fan but the two plays I mentioned in my original post are concerning. The inside pash rush may have been a blown assignment by Mack. Can't be sure. It did look like a miss however, as the guy wasn't in the gap but was a straight up rush on Steinbach. The half-block on the screen play was concerning too since this is supposed to be Eric's forte: his feet.