Skip to content

Hospital Ward?

The Browns Board
44 18 2.3k 1
  • @ballpeen said:

    Garrett can take care of that, and has.  Hospital Ward is still frail.

    One of these things is not like the other....

    CBs take a beating.... always have always will. Bigger question is when Ward answers the proverbal bell, is he enough of a difference maker? Answer that and then worry about the Cap impact of a part timer.

    @tour2ma said:

    One of these things is not like the other....

    CBs take a beating.... always have always will. Bigger question is when Ward answers the proverbal bell, is he enough of a difference maker? Answer that and then worry about the Cap impact of a part timer.

    It's a good question and I understand your point.  Point taken.  I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

    I understand that corners can get beat up, especially if they are foolish about things.  We had a DC who called out Ward for being a stupid player for the way he tackles.

    Deion Sanders who was known for being a poor tackler because he really didn't stick his head in there.  If he couldn't arm tackle or run the OB, it didn't happen.  He is in the HOF.  Now, Ward is far from Sanders  in any way, shape, or form, but with his paper mache body, I don't pay him a boat load.

  • @tour2ma said:

    One of these things is not like the other....

    CBs take a beating.... always have always will. Bigger question is when Ward answers the proverbal bell, is he enough of a difference maker? Answer that and then worry about the Cap impact of a part timer.

    It's a good question and I understand your point.  Point taken.  I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

    I understand that corners can get beat up, especially if they are foolish about things.  We had a DC who called out Ward for being a stupid player for the way he tackles.

    Deion Sanders who was known for being a poor tackler because he really didn't stick his head in there.  If he couldn't arm tackle or run the OB, it didn't happen.  He is in the HOF.  Now, Ward is far from Sanders  in any way, shape, or form, but with his paper mache body, I don't pay him a boat load.

    @ballpeen said:

    It's a good question and I understand your point.  Point taken.  I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

    I understand that corners can get beat up, especially if they are foolish about things.  We had a DC who called out Ward for being a stupid player for the way he tackles.

    Deion Sanders who was known for being a poor tackler because he really didn't stick his head in there.  If he couldn't arm tackle or run the OB, it didn't happen.  He is in the HOF.  Now, Ward is far from Sanders  in any way, shape, or form, but with his paper mache body, I don't pay him a boat load.

    I don't think deion would be deion in today's NFL. Ward has led the league the past two years with the lowest completion percentage and passer rating allowed when the receiver he is responsible for guarding is targeted. Last year he led the nfl in "ball hawk rate" per pff which is percentage of throws to your target that result in a deflection or int near 25%. So on average 1 out of every 4 throws his way he gets a hand on.

    "Ward was elite when it came to blanketing pass catchers, posting a tight window rate of 40.5 percent, the second-highest mark among corners behind only Jaire Alexander. His ballhawk rate was the highest among all qualifying corners at 24.3 percent."

    Next Gen Stats@NextGenStats
    Packers cornerback @JaireAlexander forced the highest rate of tight windows among CBs targeted over 50 times last season (42.3%).

    Tight Window ~ Less than one yard of separation when the ball arrives

    📸: Top 5 CBs by TW %
    Next Gen Stats@NextGenStats
    When it comes to making plays on the football, these cornerbacks were among the best in the NFL last season.

    📸: Top 5⃣ CBs by Ball Hawk Rate

    [Hawk % = PD or INT / targets as nearest defender]

    Also apparently since 2018 he has been ranked the top man to man corner

  • We will see.  All that counts is what Berry thinks of the guy.

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's a good question and I understand your point.  Point taken.  I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

    I understand that corners can get beat up, especially if they are foolish about things.  We had a DC who called out Ward for being a stupid player for the way he tackles.

    Deion Sanders who was known for being a poor tackler because he really didn't stick his head in there.  If he couldn't arm tackle or run the OB, it didn't happen.  He is in the HOF.  Now, Ward is far from Sanders  in any way, shape, or form, but with his paper mache body, I don't pay him a boat load.

    I don't think deion would be deion in today's NFL. Ward has led the league the past two years with the lowest completion percentage and passer rating allowed when the receiver he is responsible for guarding is targeted. Last year he led the nfl in "ball hawk rate" per pff which is percentage of throws to your target that result in a deflection or int near 25%. So on average 1 out of every 4 throws his way he gets a hand on.

    "Ward was elite when it came to blanketing pass catchers, posting a tight window rate of 40.5 percent, the second-highest mark among corners behind only Jaire Alexander. His ballhawk rate was the highest among all qualifying corners at 24.3 percent."

    Next Gen Stats@NextGenStats
    Packers cornerback @JaireAlexander forced the highest rate of tight windows among CBs targeted over 50 times last season (42.3%).

    Tight Window ~ Less than one yard of separation when the ball arrives

    📸: Top 5 CBs by TW %
    Next Gen Stats@NextGenStats
    When it comes to making plays on the football, these cornerbacks were among the best in the NFL last season.

    📸: Top 5⃣ CBs by Ball Hawk Rate

    [Hawk % = PD or INT / targets as nearest defender]

    Also apparently since 2018 he has been ranked the top man to man corner

    @bjh2130 said:

    Also apparently since 2018 he (Ward) has been ranked the top man to man corner

    Then let's play a lot of soft zone Joe. ?

  • mri today for ward's hammy

  • To a old Sonny and Sher song:

    And the beat goes on, and the beat go on. La dee dot dee dee, la dee dot dee daa.

    Maybe he only misses 2-3 games.

  • @tour2ma said:

    One of these things is not like the other....

    CBs take a beating.... always have always will. Bigger question is when Ward answers the proverbal bell, is he enough of a difference maker? Answer that and then worry about the Cap impact of a part timer.

    It's a good question and I understand your point.  Point taken.  I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

    I understand that corners can get beat up, especially if they are foolish about things.  We had a DC who called out Ward for being a stupid player for the way he tackles.

    Deion Sanders who was known for being a poor tackler because he really didn't stick his head in there.  If he couldn't arm tackle or run the OB, it didn't happen.  He is in the HOF.  Now, Ward is far from Sanders  in any way, shape, or form, but with his paper mache body, I don't pay him a boat load.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't like to simply throw back questions, but in todays NFL can you really separate the two?

    Learn  to embrace the approach.... seek to understand before being understood. Always hard for me but even moreso now due to brain acceleration.

    Yes, there has been always will be the "availability" factor, but I think there is a balance. The bigger the CB's Star, the bigger the fall off when time is missed. And now with 17 games... oy vey...

    Bigger CBs have to be the answer... or at least heavier, thicker ones... and in abundance or rotations and depth. Tall and fast to boot? Sure in an ideal world, but those would make an already rare combination even rarer. I'd be willing to go a step slower for a few more inches. I am going to zone against an RPO-ZBS combo most of the time anyway, so excepting at FS, I can sacrifice some speed for size. Add a stout SS, and keep my LBs a bit bigger, and I'm good.... at least so long as I can outscore them.

    My bottom line... I see neither the value in Ward nor the position to lock him up in an expensive Long-term contract.

  • mri today for ward's hammy

    @atom said:

    mri today for ward's hammy

    MRI on Friday and no news as far as I know.  

    Seems to me that teams are eager to share good news.  Sounds like they are waiting for more tests to confirm or dispel something the fist test revealed.  I am not trying to be negative, but it's not looking good.  I am sure that Stefanski would have been very happy to report all is AOK.

  • @atom said:

    mri today for ward's hammy

    MRI on Friday and no news as far as I know.  

    Seems to me that teams are eager to share good news.  Sounds like they are waiting for more tests to confirm or dispel something the fist test revealed.  I am not trying to be negative, but it's not looking good.  I am sure that Stefanski would have been very happy to report all is AOK.

    @ballpeen said:

    MRI on Friday and no news as far as I know.  

    Seems to me that teams are eager to share good news.  Sounds like they are waiting for more tests to confirm or dispel something the fist test revealed.  I am not trying to be negative, but it's not looking good.  I am sure that Stefanski would have been very happy to report all is AOK.

    We'll find out tomorrow if he practices- or not. 

  • Ward is very, very good. But a huge contract?

    I don't think so. It's a very strong cb draft next spring....

  • @ballpeen said:

    MRI on Friday and no news as far as I know.  

    Seems to me that teams are eager to share good news.  Sounds like they are waiting for more tests to confirm or dispel something the fist test revealed.  I am not trying to be negative, but it's not looking good.  I am sure that Stefanski would have been very happy to report all is AOK.

    We'll find out tomorrow if he practices- or not. 

    @hoorta said:

    We'll find out tomorrow if he practices- or not. 

    https://www.rotowire.com/football/practice-report.php?team=CLE

    Not up as yet...

  • @hoorta said:

    We'll find out tomorrow if he practices- or not. 

    https://www.rotowire.com/football/practice-report.php?team=CLE

    Not up as yet...

    @tour2ma said:

    https://www.rotowire.com/football/practice-report.php?team=CLE

    Not up as yet...

    It got posted in another thread... Hospital Ward is OUT against the Steelers. Bad hammy.  

  • @tour2ma said:

    https://www.rotowire.com/football/practice-report.php?team=CLE

    Not up as yet...

    It got posted in another thread... Hospital Ward is OUT against the Steelers. Bad hammy.  

    @hoorta said:

    It got posted in another thread... Hospital Ward is OUT against the Steelers. Bad hammy.  

    Goddamn I love the kid, but come on man. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    https://www.rotowire.com/football/practice-report.php?team=CLE

    Not up as yet...

    It got posted in another thread... Hospital Ward is OUT against the Steelers. Bad hammy.  

    @hoorta said:

    It got posted in another thread... Hospital Ward is OUT against the Steelers. Bad hammy.  

    We need to start drafting / acquiring bigger stronger and more durable  DB’s. We have 3 now none of whom are that. Great when they play but as the saying does the greatest ability on game day is availability. 

  • greedy looking decent to my eye... but then that's my OL eye.... 😉

  • Zombo said:

    "The Warden"!

    A pick six, 3 passes defensed and a O QB rating against him yesterday.

    Worth a couple soft tissue injuries.

    Z

    pay the man