Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.8k 1
  • Where do you get these pictures, I wonder? We could get pictures and criticize alleged mistakes by a lot of other top quarterbacks in the NFL?

    Piling on to Baker is boring - so Baker wasn't perfect ? gosh darn.

    Terry Bradshaw played so poorly his first three years he was almost booed out of Pittsburg - he has said so himself.

    But let's get back to the KC game - (btw, you referred to yourself about 11 times - we get it)....

    Baker threw for over 300 yards against the Chiefs.

    Here is the box score for receptions:

    (NOTE: guess who is missing in the list? Imagine what Baker could accomplish, without mistakes, if he had wide receivers like the Bengals have. Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins - Baker isn't perfect? GOSH DARN. Maybe I could post some NFL video of Mahomes making mistakes. or rothlicksbooger. Sorry, not impressed with cherry picked plays. Improve the wr group and watch Baker make far fewer mistakes.

    Cleveland Receiving
      REC YDS TD LONG TGTS
    D. Njoku 3 76 0 43 5
    J. Landry 5 71 0 32 5
    A. Schwartz 3 69 0 44 5
    K. Hunt 3 28 0 19 3
    A. Hooper 3 27 0 14 3
    N. Chubb 2 18 0 10 2
    H. Bryant 1 17 0 17 2
    B. Mayfield 0 11 0 11 0
    D. Peoples-Jones 1 4 0 4 1
    A. Janovich 0 0 0 0 1
    TEAM 21 321 0 44

    27

  • What I'm saying is, Terry Bradshaw had a terrible time his first few years. Then realize great quarterbacks are not perfect.

    Here's an exceelent read:

    http://steelersuk.com/history/seventies/terry bradshaw 1.htm

    THE EARLY BRADSHAW YEARS

    **************************************

    EDIT: One final ? note on qb criticism:

    Bradshaw struggled badly his first few years. He was drafted in 1970. I was graduated from hs. We always watched the NFL drafts.

    The squealers never made a super bowl til 1975.

    In 1974, they drafted:

    Round 1 - Lynn Swann

    Round 2 - Jack Lambert

    Round 3- John Stallworth.

    That kicked their offense passing into high gear.

    I look forward to the Browns seriously upgraded their wr room (and kicker(s)),

    and they will be in the playoffs again, maybe even the super bowl.

  • I love when people try to use a quarterback that was drafted during the Vietnam War as an example of how Baker could become more than an average starting QB in the NFL in the 2020s.

    It warms the cockles of my heart.

    That's right, the cockles. 

  • What I'm saying is, Terry Bradshaw had a terrible time his first few years. Then realize great quarterbacks are not perfect.

    Here's an exceelent read:

    http://steelersuk.com/history/seventies/terry bradshaw 1.htm

    THE EARLY BRADSHAW YEARS

    **************************************

    EDIT: One final ? note on qb criticism:

    Bradshaw struggled badly his first few years. He was drafted in 1970. I was graduated from hs. We always watched the NFL drafts.

    The squealers never made a super bowl til 1975.

    In 1974, they drafted:

    Round 1 - Lynn Swann

    Round 2 - Jack Lambert

    Round 3- John Stallworth.

    That kicked their offense passing into high gear.

    I look forward to the Browns seriously upgraded their wr room (and kicker(s)),

    and they will be in the playoffs again, maybe even the super bowl.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Bradshaw struggled badly his first few years. He was drafted in 1920. I was graduated from hs. We always watched the NFL drafts.

    Bradshaw looks great for being 125 years old.

  • Had to fix it - 1970. Type too fast.

    Take the Bengals in 2020.

    https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/results/2020

    They lost their first two games, then tied in the third game. Beat Jacksonville in the fourth game. Narrowly lost to

    our Browns game 5.   . Won their sixth game vs Jacksonville. Got blasted 27-3 in the seventh game. Won their eighth game.

    Got blasted by the squealers in the ninth game. Got blasted by Washington in the tenth game, and got hurt that game.

    Up to that point - they were 2-7-1. Burrow is a terrific qb, but the idea he can win games by himself is not valid.

    The next draft they drafted Jamarr Chase #7 overall.

    went to the superbowl.

    Same qb. Burrow isn't perfect either. and he wasn't born in 1920. lol

  • Jamarr Chase on the Browns would just be the latest ex-LSU WR who hates having Baker Mayfield as his quarterback. 

  • And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

    (easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. 😉 )

  • And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

    (easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. 😉 )

    @mjp28 said:

    And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

    (easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. 😉 )

    ya, it's history. Those who ignore it, don't learn from it. Then history tends to repeat itself, which led to the quagmire the Browns were in for so many years. Berry doesn't play that - I'd already mentioned Burrow, so......wr is the biggest need of the Browns.

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-edge-rankings-senior-bowl

    Browns offseason: Five biggest needs in Cleveland

  • @mjp28 said:

    And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

    (easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. 😉 )

    ya, it's history. Those who ignore it, don't learn from it. Then history tends to repeat itself, which led to the quagmire the Browns were in for so many years. Berry doesn't play that - I'd already mentioned Burrow, so......wr is the biggest need of the Browns.

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-edge-rankings-senior-bowl

    Browns offseason: Five biggest needs in Cleveland

    @calfoxwc said:

    ya, it's history. Those who ignore it, don't learn from it. Then history tends to repeat itself, which led to the quagmire the Browns were in for so many years. Berry doesn't play that - I'd already mentioned Burrow, so......wr is the biggest need of the Browns.

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-edge-rankings-senior-bowl

    Browns offseason: Five biggest needs in Cleveland

    Hmmm 7 mentioned in the list and 3 more mentioned by name  =  a lot of the highly sought after edge rushers maybe second only to the franchise quarterbacks to be spread around the 32 teams in the first and maybe second rounds of the upcoming NFL draft.

    And 5 of the 10 from the B1G and one from Cincinnati. Who if any end up with the BROWNS ?

    This is why the Draft is so much fun and is still a crap shoot every year.

  • Where do you get these pictures, I wonder? We could get pictures and criticize alleged mistakes by a lot of other top quarterbacks in the NFL?

    Piling on to Baker is boring - so Baker wasn't perfect ? gosh darn.

    Terry Bradshaw played so poorly his first three years he was almost booed out of Pittsburg - he has said so himself.

    But let's get back to the KC game - (btw, you referred to yourself about 11 times - we get it)....

    Baker threw for over 300 yards against the Chiefs.

    Here is the box score for receptions:

    (NOTE: guess who is missing in the list? Imagine what Baker could accomplish, without mistakes, if he had wide receivers like the Bengals have. Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins - Baker isn't perfect? GOSH DARN. Maybe I could post some NFL video of Mahomes making mistakes. or rothlicksbooger. Sorry, not impressed with cherry picked plays. Improve the wr group and watch Baker make far fewer mistakes.

    Cleveland Receiving
      REC YDS TD LONG TGTS
    D. Njoku 3 76 0 43 5
    J. Landry 5 71 0 32 5
    A. Schwartz 3 69 0 44 5
    K. Hunt 3 28 0 19 3
    A. Hooper 3 27 0 14 3
    N. Chubb 2 18 0 10 2
    H. Bryant 1 17 0 17 2
    B. Mayfield 0 11 0 11 0
    D. Peoples-Jones 1 4 0 4 1
    A. Janovich 0 0 0 0 1
    TEAM 21 321 0 44

    27

    @calfoxwc said:

    Where do you get these pictures, I wonder?

    Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins 

    Neat.

    You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

    Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

    But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   ??

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Where do you get these pictures, I wonder?

    Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins 

    Neat.

    You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

    Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

    But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   ??

    @tiamat63 said:

    Neat.

    You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

    baloney. It's a team game - when Doug Dieken was clearly lamenting that the wr's were not getting open, that pretty much tells

     any honest fan that is isn't a big help to Baker. A qb has to have confidence in his wr's. Experts all around are saying the wr group was vastly overrated. Hodge and a few others didn't make things happen when they left. I've been watching football for decades - since eh....1957? and no qb is absolutely perfect. Even Mahomes made some big mistakes in the playoffs. Peyton Manning once threw three interceptions in a playoff game. Baker isn't perfect. Neither are you, none of us is. Your assumptions are just yours - if the Browns coaches say it, I'll go with it. But they were playing Baker hurt, so he can't be all the incompetent bad reads/ignorant qb you are alleging he is.

        as great as Mahomes is, he had mistakes in the playoff game vs Cincy.

    https://hosted.ap.org/republicanherald/article/a4df72baf16a76f48007cd9ddba510bd/mistakes-offense-cost-chiefs-3rd-straight-super-bowl-trip

    your badgering - Monday morning qb-ing - is just that - you have an ego-centric agenda, and not seeing the forest for the trees.

    So, with a terrific cast of wr's who can get open vs the zone and man to man (even Landry is said to have trouble with that in some sportswriter circles), watch Baker have a far easier time making great "reads".

  • So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Where do you get these pictures, I wonder?

    Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins 

    Neat.

    You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

    Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

    But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   ??

    @tiamat63 said:

    Neat.

    You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

    Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

    But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   ??

    When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.  (and on some of those screen shots, we clearly had guys open) I don't even think you ragged on Baker for holding onto the ball for too long much...   Another glaring fault of his, that's a direct result of not being able to process what the defense is showing him post snap a couple of beats too slow.... 

    So let's see regarding the Browns...  Stud o-line... check...  stud running game... check....  Well golly gee... all we need on top of that  is a staple of stud WRs who can get open by 10 yards so Baker can relive his glory days at Oklahoma.... Shit- give any 1\2 decent NFL QB that kind of luxury cockpit, I'll put Bryan Hoyer in the Super Bowl with it..  😁   

  • So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

    5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

    Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

    5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

    Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

    @tiamat63 said:

    5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

    Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

    Baker will surely start next season with an upgraded WR group.

    By the Numbers: Baker Mayfield sets franchise record ...

    By the Numbers: Baker Mayfield sets franchise record, sends Browns to comeback victory Cleveland's QB completed 21 straight passes in the 37-34 win Oct 25, 2020 at 05:38 PM

    21 straight passes to  from a  qb who "can't make pre-snap reads" ???

    I say Baker comes back, and the Browns offense will have some major WR additions.

    Many experts are saying WR is the biggest need of the Browns. Why would that be, if all they have to do

    is change to a qb  with a magic twanger who can make subpar group of wr's magical? nah.

    Where DO you get those pics/videos of NFL plays?

    A star qb in 2020, but he "can't ..."

    "I don't think so, Tim"

    character_large_332x363_al.jpg?height=36

    3 Reasons Cleveland Browns should target WR Mike Williams ...

    The Cleveland Browns need help in the wide receiver department. Mike Williams of the Chargers is available in free agency and could be the spark they need.

    Browns: Baker Mayfield needs an elite WR cus Odell Beckham ...

    Browns: Baker Mayfield needs an elite WR because Odell Beckham isn't anymore Odell Beckham is no longer the answer for Baker Mayfield and the Browns. The Browns need help at receiver. This isn't a...

    How badly do the Cleveland Browns need a receiver? Look at ...

    Add any level of need you might imagine to the Browns' pass-catching corps. Wide receiver is a pressing, crying, desperate, howling need that must, must, must be met this offseason.
  • @tiamat63 said:

    Neat.

    You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

    Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

    But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   ??

    When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.  (and on some of those screen shots, we clearly had guys open) I don't even think you ragged on Baker for holding onto the ball for too long much...   Another glaring fault of his, that's a direct result of not being able to process what the defense is showing him post snap a couple of beats too slow.... 

    So let's see regarding the Browns...  Stud o-line... check...  stud running game... check....  Well golly gee... all we need on top of that  is a staple of stud WRs who can get open by 10 yards so Baker can relive his glory days at Oklahoma.... Shit- give any 1\2 decent NFL QB that kind of luxury cockpit, I'll put Bryan Hoyer in the Super Bowl with it..  😁   

    @hoorta said:

    When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.

    Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

    I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

    I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

  • @hoorta said:

    When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.

    Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

    I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

    I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

    @orion said:

    Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

    I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

    I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

    How rude. LOL

    nah, I'm not like PO at all. If they draft a qb to replace Baker, I'm good. It's their decision, they know a heck of a lot more than we do.

    It's just that, sure, I would like to see Baker throw certain short open throws, but it's more complicated than that. Decision making isn't all on the qb. Pre snap bull crap - the qb has to have confidence in the throw to make the play needed. I wouldn't throw to a wide open back out in the flat when it's third and nine or more. The chances are slim when they are giving that easily. Like the one play where Landry gets a chance to make a half back throw - he got mugged. I'd have to go back and look, but I don't believe he had any wr open.

       I said before, I would never have played Baker that first pittspuke game - he was hurt. Not playing Keenum just confounds me. I think when you have a subpar group of wr's - it kills decision making often. All over the internet and sport shows, they are talking about how the Browns NEED to rebuild their wr group. So, I'm just saying- it is not all on Baker. He isn't perfect, I get it. The clip of Landry raising hell with the rest of the wr group - that was for good reason. I hope they can keep Landry - but he's been hurt a lot, and will make 14 million? They have big decisions to make.

       It won't matter who starts at qb for the Browns if they go with the same wr cast, plain and simply - they will not.

  • Do the Browns need wide receivers? 

    I feel like this specific point is never talked about. 

    Never. 

  • @orion said:

    Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

    I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

    I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

    How rude. LOL

    nah, I'm not like PO at all. If they draft a qb to replace Baker, I'm good. It's their decision, they know a heck of a lot more than we do.

    It's just that, sure, I would like to see Baker throw certain short open throws, but it's more complicated than that. Decision making isn't all on the qb. Pre snap bull crap - the qb has to have confidence in the throw to make the play needed. I wouldn't throw to a wide open back out in the flat when it's third and nine or more. The chances are slim when they are giving that easily. Like the one play where Landry gets a chance to make a half back throw - he got mugged. I'd have to go back and look, but I don't believe he had any wr open.

       I said before, I would never have played Baker that first pittspuke game - he was hurt. Not playing Keenum just confounds me. I think when you have a subpar group of wr's - it kills decision making often. All over the internet and sport shows, they are talking about how the Browns NEED to rebuild their wr group. So, I'm just saying- it is not all on Baker. He isn't perfect, I get it. The clip of Landry raising hell with the rest of the wr group - that was for good reason. I hope they can keep Landry - but he's been hurt a lot, and will make 14 million? They have big decisions to make.

       It won't matter who starts at qb for the Browns if they go with the same wr cast, plain and simply - they will not.

    @calfoxwc said:

    How rude. LOL

    🙂

    I said before, I would never have played Baker that first pittspuke game - he was hurt. Not playing Keenum just confounds me.

    As I said in another thread (I think it was a different thread); If the medical team says that your starting #1 overall pick QB is medically cleared to play....and the player says that he's good to play....and he partakes in the practices....as the HC, what is going to be your reason for benching the starting QB?  Are you gonna say that he's hurt and your medical team is a bunch of quacks?  

  • Where DO you get those pics/videos of NFL plays?

    A star qb in 2020, but he "can't ..."

    "I don't think so, Tim"

    character_large_332x363_al.jpg?height=36

    KDtiMYBqGn1ve8d3ms.gif  js5ajfqupJ4FAbDjGd.gif  Al or Tim hired??