Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 54.0k 1
  • 0A599D7F-3125-44CE-85BB-4FFE990E5099.png

  • @orion said:

    DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ'2 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

    But this is a Mayfield thread.  Good game Baker!  Keep playing well and we'll draft you a WR next year.

    My theory on why Baker/OBJ didn't work out (I posted this earlier, not sure where) is that Baker is playing under Stefanski's system, which seems somewhat regimented, and OBJ did not. So basically, for example, Baker fakes to Chubb on the left, rolls right, and expects OBJ to run 8 yards downfield, then run an out. Problem was, OBJ decides to run a 10 yard in. Baker eventually stopped looking his way, because OBJ wasn't where he expected him to be. 

    This offense isn't designed for a WR who wants to put up huge numbers. Like Stefanski said this week, it is designed to get the ball to the open guy, regardless of who that is. I do not think Andrew Berry would have traded for OBJ or anyone like him at all. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    My theory on why Baker/OBJ didn't work out (I posted this earlier, not sure where) is that Baker is playing under Stefanski's system, which seems somewhat regimented, and OBJ did not. So basically, for example, Baker fakes to Chubb on the left, rolls right, and expects OBJ to run 8 yards downfield, then run an out. Problem was, OBJ decides to run a 10 yard in. Baker eventually stopped looking his way, because OBJ wasn't where he expected him to be. 

    This offense isn't designed for a WR who wants to put up huge numbers. Like Stefanski said this week, it is designed to get the ball to the open guy, regardless of who that is. I do not think Andrew Berry would have traded for OBJ or anyone like him at all. 

    There is a lot of merit to your point of view. OBJ is not a system or a team player. He gets off on doing his own thing. The reason he has to make crazy circus catches is probably because he's never where he's supposed to be. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    OBJ will end up showing up a week late in Chillicothe, not Canton.

    DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ's 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

    But this is a Mayfield thread.  Good game Baker!  Keep playing well and we'll draft you a WR next year.

    @orion said:

    DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ's 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

    But this is a Mayfield thread.  Good game Baker!  Keep playing well and we'll draft you a WR next year.

    I think there were 14 completed passes out of 20 something.  Unless I made a mistake when I looked at the stats there were eight players that caught passes. The most was Jarvis with three. Whether we like it or not stefanski spreads the ball around.

    WSS

  • 3XPDSXP5BFG6HNPEB2VCMSMHOY-1.jpg

  • @orion said:

    DPJ only caught two balls today.  He was out a couple of weeks.  OBJ, he's held out or 'limited' in practice most of the time.  How do you get that QB/WR chemistry when they hardly ever practice together?  Today is the last day OBJ will be listed on our gameday box score (as 'Not Active' today).  It's too bad that he just wasn't a reliable receiver here.  I mean, we could use a good receiver, like him.  Today, aside from DPJ's 2 catches, Landry had 3 for a whopping 11 yards, and Schwartz had 1 catch.  We WILL be playing games in the future where we're going to need WR production.

    But this is a Mayfield thread.  Good game Baker!  Keep playing well and we'll draft you a WR next year.

    I think there were 14 completed passes out of 20 something.  Unless I made a mistake when I looked at the stats there were eight players that caught passes. The most was Jarvis with three. Whether we like it or not stefanski spreads the ball around.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I think there were 14 completed passes out of 20 something.  Unless I made a mistake when I looked at the stats there were eight players that caught passes. The most was Jarvis with three. Whether we like it or not stefanski spreads the ball around.

    WSS

    As a fan, I like the idea that this offense is diversified and doesn't lean on any one player. Makes it difficult to defend.

    Now, if I was a player whose future earnings depend on my production, I might have a problem catching 2 or 3 passes a game. 

    If Stefanski sticks around for a relatively long stretch, something like this will happen with another receiver. Not saying Stefanski should change anything, but its an offense that will frustrate some who play in it.  

  • @westside-steve said:

    I think there were 14 completed passes out of 20 something.  Unless I made a mistake when I looked at the stats there were eight players that caught passes. The most was Jarvis with three. Whether we like it or not stefanski spreads the ball around.

    WSS

    As a fan, I like the idea that this offense is diversified and doesn't lean on any one player. Makes it difficult to defend.

    Now, if I was a player whose future earnings depend on my production, I might have a problem catching 2 or 3 passes a game. 

    If Stefanski sticks around for a relatively long stretch, something like this will happen with another receiver. Not saying Stefanski should change anything, but its an offense that will frustrate some who play in it.  

    @dutch-oven said:

    As a fan, I like the idea that this offense is diversified and doesn't lean on any one player. Makes it difficult to defend.

    Now, if I was a player whose future earnings depend on my production, I might have a problem catching 2 or 3 passes a game. 

    If Stefanski sticks around for a relatively long stretch, something like this will happen with another receiver. Not saying Stefanski should change anything, but its an offense that will frustrate some who play in it.  

    Give and take…we will attract TEs and RBs 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    As a fan, I like the idea that this offense is diversified and doesn't lean on any one player. Makes it difficult to defend.

    Now, if I was a player whose future earnings depend on my production, I might have a problem catching 2 or 3 passes a game. 

    If Stefanski sticks around for a relatively long stretch, something like this will happen with another receiver. Not saying Stefanski should change anything, but its an offense that will frustrate some who play in it.  

    Give and take…we will attract TEs and RBs 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Give and take…we will attract TEs and RBs 

    Like I said somewhere before, I don't think there's a chance in hell Berry would have traded for OBJ in the first place. 

    The WRs can be filled by young guys on rookie contracts and older veterans who might not be "top-tier" guys, but good plug-and-play guys. I don't think this will be a problem. Sure, someone down the road is not going to be thrilled when they think they are a 80 catch, 1200 yard guy, but are catching 55 balls here. That person will eventually be replaced. 

  • 94903228-00F4-44C7-8E26-26C6D16CD397.png

  • image.thumb.png.a4b8febd7056195c168d669a73022043.png

  • Still satisfying...........

    2.PNG

  • so when did baker get a sore foot ?

  • so when did baker get a sore foot ?

    @atom said:

    so when did baker get a sore foot ?

    You remember the play against the Bengals where he got sacked? (more like buried under a pile of bodies)  If you still have the replay- take a look at him on the sideline afterward. He was sort of hopping around, trying to shake it off...  

  • I'll say this, if we don't figure out our red zone offense, we won't win this game and many others this year. I'm not sure what changed from last year, but we're really struggling. Penalties, ugly plays, inefficient pass formations, failed 4th downs, and whatever else...we aren't scoring the ball inside the 20's.

    Where are our easy TDs? Every week I watch the NFL and there are simple plays which score. It seems like an act of God for us to punch it in, which is why Baker has only 8 passing tds. Pats have a terrific defense. If we get to the red zone, we need touchdowns or we don't win. 

  • I'll say this, if we don't figure out our red zone offense, we won't win this game and many others this year. I'm not sure what changed from last year, but we're really struggling. Penalties, ugly plays, inefficient pass formations, failed 4th downs, and whatever else...we aren't scoring the ball inside the 20's.

    Where are our easy TDs? Every week I watch the NFL and there are simple plays which score. It seems like an act of God for us to punch it in, which is why Baker has only 8 passing tds. Pats have a terrific defense. If we get to the red zone, we need touchdowns or we don't win. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'll say this, if we don't figure out our red zone offense, we won't win this game and many others this year. I'm not sure what changed from last year, but we're really struggling. Penalties, ugly plays, inefficient pass formations, failed 4th downs, and whatever else...we aren't scoring the ball inside the 20's.

    Where are our easy TDs? Every week I watch the NFL and there are simple plays which score. It seems like an act of God for us to punch it in, which is why Baker has only 8 passing tds. Pats have a terrific defense. If we get to the red zone, we need touchdowns or we don't win. 

    The play calling in the RedZone hasn't been good at all. It's like a one read to a WR and the scramble drill. Last week Landry went out on a slant and fell over and that was basically the entire play. He had to throw it away. 

    I don't understand why Kev overthinks it down there. He rarely gives it to Chubb inside the 10. I know when Hunt out (which is usually the back in that situation) but run the damn ball. One read jump balls aren't really effective.

    I think the last easy RedZone play was the Bronco game when they went play action and threw to to a wide open FB.  Seems like that play should work almost every time with our run game.

  • @bob806 said:

    He didn't stink up the joint, my goodness.

    OBJ quits a route on a TD pass. Landry uncharacteristically drops a few & fumbles. Hooper dropped a high pass in the 1st quarter at the 10 yard line.

    Schwartz, the speedster, hasn't earned a spot on the field for whatever reason.

    Baker wasn't a problem at all today. 

    Of course, it's everyone's fault except Baker. Classic Baker apologist take. It didn't take long for a Baker apologist to start throwing out the excuses. There's no excuse for a team to score 10 points with the talent we have. A real QB finds ways to get it done, he overcomes obstacles. Baker is mediocre, that's it.

    @berniesuperbowl said:

    Of course, it's everyone's fault except Baker. Classic Baker apologist take. It didn't take long for a Baker apologist to start throwing out the excuses. There's no excuse for a team to score 10 points with the talent we have. A real QB finds ways to get it done, he overcomes obstacles. Baker is mediocre, that's it.

    Did a sewer get rerouted intto our Forum?

    Where are these Football metal dwarfs all coming  from? Our pits of hell Section 8 section?

    Bernie would blush if he saw his name close to your drivel...

    And be careful with your reply or I will go speech to text on yo ass...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Not sure why you're lumping Lamar in there.  His playoff appearances have been all subpar when compared to Allen and Baker.

    Doors blown off in his 1st and 2nd. Then snuck by an offensively deficient Titans squad then put up all of 3 points on a Bills defense that surrendered 40+ the following week in his 3rd attempt.   Right now Lamar is the Peyton Manning of the new era.   Brilliant regular season and lackluster playoff games.

    If the 32 NFL GMs were lined up and asked, who do you want, Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield, how do you think the vote goes? 

    And Lamar definitely has limitations too, as shown in the playoffs. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    If the 32 NFL GMs were lined up and asked, who do you want, Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield, how do you think the vote goes? 

    And Lamar definitely has limitations too, as shown in the playoffs. 

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

  • @berniesuperbowl said:

    Of course, it's everyone's fault except Baker. Classic Baker apologist take. It didn't take long for a Baker apologist to start throwing out the excuses. There's no excuse for a team to score 10 points with the talent we have. A real QB finds ways to get it done, he overcomes obstacles. Baker is mediocre, that's it.

    Did a sewer get rerouted intto our Forum?

    Where are these Football metal dwarfs all coming  from? Our pits of hell Section 8 section?

    Bernie would blush if he saw his name close to your drivel...

    And be careful with your reply or I will go speech to text on yo ass...

    @tour2ma said:

    Did a sewer get rerouted intto our Forum?

    Where are these Football metal dwarfs all coming  from? Our pits of hell Section 8 section?

    Bernie would lush if he saw his name close to your drivel...

    And be careful with your reply or I will go speech to text on yo ass...

    I'll have to keep an eye on these one post noob wonders, bitching away.  One of them lasted two posts before Z (on my recommendation) showed him the door.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    If the 32 NFL GMs were lined up and asked, who do you want, Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield, how do you think the vote goes? 

    And Lamar definitely has limitations too, as shown in the playoffs. 

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

    @tour2ma said:

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

    Hmmm... I suppose a legit question is- if Jackson couldn't run like Kareem Hunt (LJ is the same weight, but 3" taller)  just how good a QB would he be?  

    I'll let Tia correct me on the details- but the way the outmanned Dolphins beat him was to use a six man front, take away his outside running lanes, (and in the process collapse the pocket) and use a cover zero defensive backfield. Lamar couldn't figure out who was dropping into coverage.  For sure, Jackson is a supreme athlete- but listening to him talk, I doubt he's up there on the Ryan Fitzpatrick IQ level.  To date in 3-1\2 seasons, he's already more than half way to breaking Michael Vick's 15 season career rushing totals for a QB. Barring injury- he only needs about 2,600 more yards.  (Yeah, I had to look it up.)  🙂  Credit Lamar for have an uncanny ability to avoid taking kill shots- but you have to know- one is coming sooner or later.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    If the 32 NFL GMs were lined up and asked, who do you want, Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield, how do you think the vote goes? 

    And Lamar definitely has limitations too, as shown in the playoffs. 

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

    @tour2ma said:

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

    I would still take Baker over LJ...  I believe LJ's career will be a short one...

  • @tour2ma said:

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

    I would still take Baker over LJ...  I believe LJ's career will be a short one...

    @nickers said:

    I would still take Baker over LJ...  I believe LJ's career will be a short one...

    LJ will probably get hurt for good one of these days - he is amazing at running, except vs Miami,

    but he doesn't throw long with accuracy at all. And some of his interceptions look very, very bad.

    With a bad offensive line, sure, LJ would run for ya.

    I'll take Baker every time outside of that.