Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 54.3k 1
  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    Baker completes 66.7% of his passes at a clip of 8.5 y/a, Jackson 64.4% for 7.9 y/a with 5 extra interceptions to boot.

    And when you look at career stats.. Baker's a 62% while Lamar is at 64%, and as I said once already Lamar's interception total for his career just this season surpassed Baker's 2019.

    This is the challenge when looking at data.. you don't want to fixate on the most recent measurement because you don't know if it's an outlier or not.  Lamar has shown he doesn't throw picks [MVP season was 36-6 TD-INT] while Baker hasn't shown that his 2021 lack of INT's is the blip or the trend.

    Just to be clear: Do I want Stef to have unleashed the no-INT-throwing-good-presnap-reading Baker for the rest of Baker's career? Of course! But would I bet my house down payment on that as a certainty? No way..

  • @canton-dawg said:

    You failed to mention that LJ has thrown 8 interceptions this year compared to Baker’ 3 picks.

    I look at LJ as a running back that happens to throw the ball.

    You failed to mention that only during this season did Lamar's career interception total [26] finally surpass Baker's total from 2019 alone [21].

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    You failed to mention that only during this season did Lamar's career interception total [26] finally surpass Baker's total from 2019 alone [21].

    How many playoff games has LJ won?

  • @unsympathetic said:

    You failed to mention that only during this season did Lamar's career interception total [26] finally surpass Baker's total from 2019 alone [21].

    How many playoff games has LJ won?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    How many playoff games has LJ won?

    Not only that.. LJ has the worst mechanics as a Passer I ever saw,,, Hes terribly inaccurate after 15 yards...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    Maybe I came late to the show here, but I was responding to the statement that Jackson IS the better PASSER.

    I don't believe he is.

    As far as career ... we'll see ... but I'd bet on Baker winning a SB MVP before Jackson does.

    Z

    Well if there was ever a year where he's surrounded by a ton of talent and there appears to be a clear shot at the AFC crown, it's this year for Baker to get that Super Bowl MVP.

    I mean, as a Browns fan, is there an AFC team right now, THIS SEASON, that makes you say "Oh wow, THAT team would be scary for the Browns to have to beat"?

    The path to the Super Bowl is wide open for the Browns. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    If we can get to 7-4 with Chubb and Hunt back for the bad-weather games ... watch out.

    Z

    Yeah, I'm not predicting the Browns going to the Super Bowl, but man oh man, when you look at the rest of the AFC, it's hard not to say "Why the hell not us?"

    The defense getting healthy has me optimistic. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Oh, I won't even attempt to debate football with you nickers. No way.

    You played Little League Football! 

    Good.. I don't deal with simpletons like you..

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Good.. I don't deal with simpletons like you..

    I can totally understand this.

    I mean, reading your intelligent, thoughtful posts on here, one comes to the conclusion that you obviously have a very good life, a very successful job, and a beautiful, loving wife.

    Cheers to you nickers, and to all your obvious success. 

  • Zombo said:

    Maybe I came late to the show here, but I was responding to the statement that Jackson IS the better PASSER.

    I don't believe he is.

    As far as career ... we'll see ... but I'd bet on Baker winning a SB MVP before Jackson does.

    Z

    Well if there was ever a year where he's surrounded by a ton of talent and there appears to be a clear shot at the AFC crown, it's this year for Baker to get that Super Bowl MVP.

    I mean, as a Browns fan, is there an AFC team right now, THIS SEASON, that makes you say "Oh wow, THAT team would be scary for the Browns to have to beat"?

    The path to the Super Bowl is wide open for the Browns. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well if there was ever a year where he's surrounded by a ton of talent and there appears to be a clear shot at the AFC crown, it's this year for Baker to get that Super Bowl MVP.

    I mean, as a Browns fan, is there an AFC team right now, THIS SEASON, that makes you say "Oh wow, THAT team would be scary for the Browns to have to beat"?

    The path to the Super Bowl is wide open for the Browns. 

    On this.. We can agree on..

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Well if there was ever a year where he's surrounded by a ton of talent and there appears to be a clear shot at the AFC crown, it's this year for Baker to get that Super Bowl MVP.

    I mean, as a Browns fan, is there an AFC team right now, THIS SEASON, that makes you say "Oh wow, THAT team would be scary for the Browns to have to beat"?

    The path to the Super Bowl is wide open for the Browns. 

    On this.. We can agree on..

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    On this.. We can agree on..

    And thank you kind sir for taking me off ignore.

    You have no idea how much that means to me, to have someone of your intelligence agreeing with me on something, even if it is only this one time.

    May a Browns win today bring you joy, my dearest of friends. 

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    B4E97FFA-BC28-47EC-9E2E-A262065F7915.jpeg

  • @nickers said:

    On this.. We can agree on..

    And thank you kind sir for taking me off ignore.

    You have no idea how much that means to me, to have someone of your intelligence agreeing with me on something, even if it is only this one time.

    May a Browns win today bring you joy, my dearest of friends. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    And thank you kind sir for taking me off ignore.

    You have no idea how much that means to me, to have someone of your intelligence agreeing with me on something, even if it is only this one time.

    May a Browns win today bring you joy, my dearest of friends. 

    Unlike some folks in the world.. I'm Man enough not to hold grudges.. I watched bitterness kill my father...

  • @tour2ma said:

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

    Hmmm... I suppose a legit question is- if Jackson couldn't run like Kareem Hunt (LJ is the same weight, but 3" taller)  just how good a QB would he be?  

    I'll let Tia correct me on the details- but the way the outmanned Dolphins beat him was to use a six man front, take away his outside running lanes, (and in the process collapse the pocket) and use a cover zero defensive backfield. Lamar couldn't figure out who was dropping into coverage.  For sure, Jackson is a supreme athlete- but listening to him talk, I doubt he's up there on the Ryan Fitzpatrick IQ level.  To date in 3-1\2 seasons, he's already more than half way to breaking Michael Vick's 15 season career rushing totals for a QB. Barring injury- he only needs about 2,600 more yards.  (Yeah, I had to look it up.)  🙂  Credit Lamar for have an uncanny ability to avoid taking kill shots- but you have to know- one is coming sooner or later.  

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Hmmm... I suppose a legit question is- if Jackson couldn't run like Kareem Hunt (LJ is the same weight, but 3" taller)  just how good a QB would he be?  

    I'll let Tia correct me on the details- but the way the outmanned Dolphins beat him was to use a six man front, take away his outside running lanes, (and in the process collapse the pocket) and use a cover zero defensive backfield. Lamar couldn't figure out who was dropping into coverage.  For sure, Jackson is a supreme athlete- but listening to him talk.

    Legit question, h… even if the last bit strays close to OB. UL ain’t Ivy League??

  • @tour2ma said:

    LJ by a landslide... The threat of his legs is so great that his arm/ Head limitations in the passing game matter not. And it is now clear that he brings all the intangibles Baker does... e.g., leadership.

    Limits? Yes... but he is still learning at the Pro level and so those limits might ease with time. He has the tools, just needs the refinement. Easier said than realized... hell to the yeah... but so long as he runs smartly and avoids major injury... he has a chance.

    If he does not, then he could go the way of Mahomes, from whom some of the luster has faded.

    Hmmm... I suppose a legit question is- if Jackson couldn't run like Kareem Hunt (LJ is the same weight, but 3" taller)  just how good a QB would he be?  

    I'll let Tia correct me on the details- but the way the outmanned Dolphins beat him was to use a six man front, take away his outside running lanes, (and in the process collapse the pocket) and use a cover zero defensive backfield. Lamar couldn't figure out who was dropping into coverage.  For sure, Jackson is a supreme athlete- but listening to him talk, I doubt he's up there on the Ryan Fitzpatrick IQ level.  To date in 3-1\2 seasons, he's already more than half way to breaking Michael Vick's 15 season career rushing totals for a QB. Barring injury- he only needs about 2,600 more yards.  (Yeah, I had to look it up.)  🙂  Credit Lamar for have an uncanny ability to avoid taking kill shots- but you have to know- one is coming sooner or later.  

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @hoorta said:

    Hmmm... I suppose a legit question is- if Jackson couldn't run like Kareem Hunt (LJ is the same weight, but 3" taller)  just how good a QB would he be?  

    I'll let Tia correct me on the details- but the way the outmanned Dolphins beat him was to use a six man front, take away his outside running lanes, (and in the process collapse the pocket) and use a cover zero defensive backfield. Lamar couldn't figure out who was dropping into coverage.  For sure, Jackson is a supreme athlete- but listening to him talk, I doubt he's up there on the Ryan Fitzpatrick IQ level.  To date in 3-1\2 seasons, he's already more than half way to breaking Michael Vick's 15 season career rushing totals for a QB. Barring injury- he only needs about 2,600 more yards.  (Yeah, I had to look it up.)  🙂  Credit Lamar for have an uncanny ability to avoid taking kill shots- but you have to know- one is coming sooner or later.  

    I'm lucky I caught a glimpse of this.  If you want my input buddy, just tag me next time.

    I'll give the all-22 a going over and get back to you.  But the way the Titans and Bolts beat him in the playoffs was to attack the mesh on the option, then play man coverage behind certain 5 man pressures.

  • @hoorta said:

    Hmmm... I suppose a legit question is- if Jackson couldn't run like Kareem Hunt (LJ is the same weight, but 3" taller)  just how good a QB would he be?  

    I'll let Tia correct me on the details- but the way the outmanned Dolphins beat him was to use a six man front, take away his outside running lanes, (and in the process collapse the pocket) and use a cover zero defensive backfield. Lamar couldn't figure out who was dropping into coverage.  For sure, Jackson is a supreme athlete- but listening to him talk, I doubt he's up there on the Ryan Fitzpatrick IQ level.  To date in 3-1\2 seasons, he's already more than half way to breaking Michael Vick's 15 season career rushing totals for a QB. Barring injury- he only needs about 2,600 more yards.  (Yeah, I had to look it up.)  🙂  Credit Lamar for have an uncanny ability to avoid taking kill shots- but you have to know- one is coming sooner or later.  

    I'm lucky I caught a glimpse of this.  If you want my input buddy, just tag me next time.

    I'll give the all-22 a going over and get back to you.  But the way the Titans and Bolts beat him in the playoffs was to attack the mesh on the option, then play man coverage behind certain 5 man pressures.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'm lucky I caught a glimpse of this.  If you want my input buddy, just tag me next time.

    I'll give the all-22 a going over and get back to you.  But the way the Titans and Bolts beat him in the playoffs was to attack the mesh on the option, then play man coverage behind certain 5 man pressures.

    Yes…add the Raiders this year.  They attacked the mesh point.  I remember watching that game thinking okay if the Raiders can do this why can’t we.

    Good article here on it too. Raiders went cover 3 with the secondary having eyes in the backfield too 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.silverandblackpride.com/platform/amp/2021/9/17/22678276/raiders-defense-ravens-lamar-jackson

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    Maybe I came late to the show here, but I was responding to the statement that Jackson IS the better PASSER.

    I don't believe he is.

    As far as career ... we'll see ... but I'd bet on Baker winning a SB MVP before Jackson does.

    Z

    Well, unfortunately- that won't be this year Z.  I won't totally put the  Patriots loss on Baker, but our defense plays like Mount Everest one week, Marianas Trench the next isn't going to get it done. Typical Bill B. game... When I find something that works- I'm going to keep doing it, until you prove you can stop it. WE COULDN'T.  Like runs up the middle. And when you sell out on that- I'll just get 10 yards at a crack running wide.  

    Yeah- the Tampa Brady's got beat today too....  This year it's going to be minimizing your blowouts...  this was Browns suck game #?  

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    Re-watching the first half now.  Game was over, chess speaking, during the first Patriots scoring drive.   It's an absolute masterclass in play calling.  It's almost like watching basketball and running a pick and roll until you get the matchup you wanted.  Patriots really stayed in 21 and 22 personnel early and went at our starting IDL.  They held up pretty alright in all honesty.   But the idea was to run and throw on our backup IDL after hitting the body blows against the starters.  Togiai, Elliot, Jackson...  all lost their matchups and lost bad.      

    Our backups aren't NFL quality at the moment and if you're weak up the middle, then your whole defense is weak.      

    edit: A scary familiar theme where the offense finds itself completely fucked - straight drops.   I would love to see it, but Bakers passer ratings when not using play action has to fall a TON.  Especially this season.   That out to Njoku that was housed by Duggar is a problem for 2 reasons.   First - It's a roll to 2 shell post snap and Baker locked into the out the whole way VERY pre-determined throw.   That corner was in trail and peeking back, which is why I mentioned 2 trap.  He completely falls off DPJ running upfield onto Bakers eyes.    Even if the read was good, it was a 17 yard throw WAY to low and inside.     The read was bad, the throw was even worse.  Lucky it wasn't caught or it could have gotten David killed.    

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by

    Baker is an average QB, been saying it since day 1. When the offense is running the ball effectively he looks a lot better than he is. 

  • I Icecube wrote on last edited by

    He just doesn't. He is fine when the rushing game and D are kicking butt, but, he cannot save the day when they aren't, and a top QB often can. He is an average QB at best. 

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by Canton Dawg

    You’re right, I wonder what guys like Cody Kessler & Austin Davis are doing?

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by BaconHound

    Deserve is a tough word. I tend to agree he doesn’t deserve top money based on his skill set but the question in the NFL is what’s plan B?  QB is the most important and hardest position to procure.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    I’d say Baker is above average when the team around him is playing well

    But he is way below average when the team isn’t playing well