Baker Mayfield
-
He just doesn't. He is fine when the rushing game and D are kicking butt, but, he cannot save the day when they aren't, and a top QB often can. He is an average QB at best.
He just doesn't. He is fine when the rushing game and D are kicking butt, but, he cannot save the day when they aren't, and a top QB often can. He is an average QB at best.
This a team sport. Do you want the Browns to become the next Cavaliers where you watch Lebron James drag a bunch of dead beats to the finals as they stand around and watch him? Baker isn't perfect but this team is set up perfectly for him to be great.
-
-
Plan A is paying Baker. We are Looking at around 30M….if we are lucky. And that will result in talent falling off the next couple years. I think you will still have a competitive team…and I think tortured Browns fans are mostly okay with that after dealing with the team and all its failures the past 20 years.
Plan B is kicking the tires on a few of these names that were popping up this offseason (Rodgers/Russ Wilson). This is the three year stop gap tremendous upgrade “all-in” move. In that window you take advantage of some of these Prime years we’ve extended Nick Chubb, Teller, Bitonio, Garrett. You groom the next guy sometime at the end of this window or you rebuild one year. Are we okay with losing some picks?Plan C is doing nothing and keeping Baker. Hopefully he’s fully healthy next year and he either surprises and plays well or he is what he is a 15-20 type QB in the league. If he’s better you pay more- if we determine his play has leveled off…2023 who knows what is out there to replace him.
Plan D Bring back Clipboard Jesus!!!!!
-
Ah yes, but advertisers don't care that you and others don't like it. They only care that it makes you remember it.?
Ya but them i wanna buy sneakers and can't even remember what they are really trying to sell.... Kinda backfired on em cause I don't think it's a Nike commercial
-
He just doesn't. He is fine when the rushing game and D are kicking butt, but, he cannot save the day when they aren't, and a top QB often can. He is an average QB at best.
Anyone besides me tired of him in his robe doing insurance commercials ?
As far as Baker Mayfield and his future contract and where, he's already set for life it's just a matter of where he wants to play and for how much.
He is a top half and maybe top one third quarterback for sure and should have not much trouble finding work.
Will it be in Cleveland or elsewhere and for how much ?
The three most secure jobs in sports NFL starting QB, MLB LHP closer, NHL top goalie....... maybe a first round NFL DE also.
Anyone besides me tired of him in his robe doing insurance commercials ?
Umm, I think he does a real nice job in those commercials. He's kind of a natural. Perhaps he missed his calling.
I've been modestly vocal this year of not being certain that he's the long term answer. The QB's gotta carry you to victory, sometimes. He doesn't seem to be the carrying QB. But he's about the best we've had in the last 20 years. And so is the HC and GM. The team is built for this window. Neo is correct. There's no other QB to plug in and play...unless you wanna screw with the team chemistry and go with Keenum. Or trade for Stafford.
-
Well we may need a savior
Might be true. Baker looks like he's really playing hurt and for how long ? Can he gut it out for 6 more games with a bye. Well they are a 10 point favorite vs Detroit.
And Keenun then who next......if needed.
........... edit, a healthy Chubb + Hunt would greatly help !
-
I don't see Baker getting a new contract This year.
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
-
Given our wr situation - I refuse to blame Baker. He has plenty of intangibles, a hell of an arm, very accurate on a good day, and he inspires this team.
The replay analysis clearly showed no te's/wr's getting open vs the Patriots.
Like last night - The niners have a first round pick, a second round pick, and an UDFA as their #3.
The Browns have a 2nd round pick, two sixth round picks, and an UDFA, and Schwartz, who isn't ready for prime time yet.
Now, the Patriots Jacobi Meyers - UDFA.
The Browns have got to find a star #1 WR. Baker is struggling at times this year.
But to say he is only average etc, is a crock, I think.
BTW, did anybody notice obj running stop and go routes for the Rams tonight?
all of a sudden he isn't hurt any more?
-
I don't see Baker getting a new contract This year.
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
-
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
-
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
So your busy polishing all of those Vince Lombardi trophies that Lamar Jackson helped you guys win?
-
I've been saying since 2018 that Baker is a franchise qb...mainly because there are times that he looks like one. But...I'm starting to realize that maybe he is just an average qb with a strong arm. Then, again....I keep thinking that he maybe has a very fragile ego, and when things are not going ideal for him, he tends to lose his confidence and play bad. Then again....maybe it is the injuries. There's definitely something going on. I would just keep him and not move on a big contract until next season. Then you risk losing him, I guess. It just kind of makes me want to puke....watching all these other young qb's looking like hall of famers. I'm not talking about Lamar Jackson. As I stated in a previous post....he's a true system player. A great running back who has a weak arm, and his leg speed will betray him quickly. I'll still take Mayfield over Jackson any day.
-
Baker is a terrific qb. But he isn't perfect. I keep seeing in the media that "Baker this, Baker that" etc.
But it seems that "great qb's" have terrific receivers. What was it they showed and analyzed during the Patriot game?
5 guys out to catch a pass and not one got open at all? What is a torn labrum, broken bone in shoulder, hurt foot qb
SUPPOSED TO DO?
If lamar couldn't run like a crazed chipmunk, he would be one of the worst qbs in the league.
Let's put it this way:
Since 1999, the Browns have drafted a wr TWICE in the first round. Stupid braylon edwards in 05, and Corey Coleman in 2016.
Not choices I would have made.
even the Patriots drafted N'Keal Harry first round in 2019. again, the Browns in previous years drafted duds.
Not any more, but wr is a weak point. I would like to see what Cager and Bradley can do. They were both UDFAs......
-
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
You know, Baker won one playoff game.
Dalton, instead...
-
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
-
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
baloney. we let a selfish, self-centered "injured when he feels like he wants to be" guy....
who went to the rams and was not hurt at all. Was a lot faster and his stop and go tells me
he didn't want to play for the Browns anymore. NY was delighted to get rid of him.
Not a team player.
Baker is elite in some ways, isn't perfect. The wr's were SHOWN ON TV to be ALL COVERED THE ENTIRE PLAY,
and that happened a LOT. A superstar qb can't make wr's get open.
-
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
baloney. we let a selfish, self-centered "injured when he feels like he wants to be" guy....
who went to the rams and was not hurt at all. Was a lot faster and his stop and go tells me
he didn't want to play for the Browns anymore. NY was delighted to get rid of him.
Not a team player.
Baker is elite in some ways, isn't perfect. The wr's were SHOWN ON TV to be ALL COVERED THE ENTIRE PLAY,
and that happened a LOT. A superstar qb can't make wr's get open.
-
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
You know, Baker won one playoff game.
Dalton, instead...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login