Baker Mayfield
-
Well we may need a savior
Might be true. Baker looks like he's really playing hurt and for how long ? Can he gut it out for 6 more games with a bye. Well they are a 10 point favorite vs Detroit.
And Keenun then who next......if needed.
........... edit, a healthy Chubb + Hunt would greatly help !
-
I don't see Baker getting a new contract This year.
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
-
Given our wr situation - I refuse to blame Baker. He has plenty of intangibles, a hell of an arm, very accurate on a good day, and he inspires this team.
The replay analysis clearly showed no te's/wr's getting open vs the Patriots.
Like last night - The niners have a first round pick, a second round pick, and an UDFA as their #3.
The Browns have a 2nd round pick, two sixth round picks, and an UDFA, and Schwartz, who isn't ready for prime time yet.
Now, the Patriots Jacobi Meyers - UDFA.
The Browns have got to find a star #1 WR. Baker is struggling at times this year.
But to say he is only average etc, is a crock, I think.
BTW, did anybody notice obj running stop and go routes for the Rams tonight?
all of a sudden he isn't hurt any more?
-
I don't see Baker getting a new contract This year.
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
-
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
-
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
So your busy polishing all of those Vince Lombardi trophies that Lamar Jackson helped you guys win?
-
I've been saying since 2018 that Baker is a franchise qb...mainly because there are times that he looks like one. But...I'm starting to realize that maybe he is just an average qb with a strong arm. Then, again....I keep thinking that he maybe has a very fragile ego, and when things are not going ideal for him, he tends to lose his confidence and play bad. Then again....maybe it is the injuries. There's definitely something going on. I would just keep him and not move on a big contract until next season. Then you risk losing him, I guess. It just kind of makes me want to puke....watching all these other young qb's looking like hall of famers. I'm not talking about Lamar Jackson. As I stated in a previous post....he's a true system player. A great running back who has a weak arm, and his leg speed will betray him quickly. I'll still take Mayfield over Jackson any day.
-
Baker is a terrific qb. But he isn't perfect. I keep seeing in the media that "Baker this, Baker that" etc.
But it seems that "great qb's" have terrific receivers. What was it they showed and analyzed during the Patriot game?
5 guys out to catch a pass and not one got open at all? What is a torn labrum, broken bone in shoulder, hurt foot qb
SUPPOSED TO DO?
If lamar couldn't run like a crazed chipmunk, he would be one of the worst qbs in the league.
Let's put it this way:
Since 1999, the Browns have drafted a wr TWICE in the first round. Stupid braylon edwards in 05, and Corey Coleman in 2016.
Not choices I would have made.
even the Patriots drafted N'Keal Harry first round in 2019. again, the Browns in previous years drafted duds.
Not any more, but wr is a weak point. I would like to see what Cager and Bradley can do. They were both UDFAs......
-
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
You know, Baker won one playoff game.
Dalton, instead...
-
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
-
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
baloney. we let a selfish, self-centered "injured when he feels like he wants to be" guy....
who went to the rams and was not hurt at all. Was a lot faster and his stop and go tells me
he didn't want to play for the Browns anymore. NY was delighted to get rid of him.
Not a team player.
Baker is elite in some ways, isn't perfect. The wr's were SHOWN ON TV to be ALL COVERED THE ENTIRE PLAY,
and that happened a LOT. A superstar qb can't make wr's get open.
-
I've said it before, Baker's a very good QB but he's not elite. This team is also too heavily dependent on the running game, exposing Baker's inadequacies this week and people should stop saying we don't have good receivers, we just let one go we didn't know how to use.
baloney. we let a selfish, self-centered "injured when he feels like he wants to be" guy....
who went to the rams and was not hurt at all. Was a lot faster and his stop and go tells me
he didn't want to play for the Browns anymore. NY was delighted to get rid of him.
Not a team player.
Baker is elite in some ways, isn't perfect. The wr's were SHOWN ON TV to be ALL COVERED THE ENTIRE PLAY,
and that happened a LOT. A superstar qb can't make wr's get open.
-
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
You know, Baker won one playoff game.
Dalton, instead...
-
Well, he has been playing hurt and we picked up his $18 million 5th year option for 2022. So there's no rush to extend him.... The problem with Baker is when he's good, he's very very good. And when he's bad- he sucks. The number of suckful games is downright concerning. Yeah- his career 90 QBR is a huge improvement over the garbage we've had behind center in past seasons. However- 90 doesn't get you into the "elite" club anymore- those guys are all over 100... Ergo, Mayfield isn't worthy of an "elite" QB contract.
Interesting article from Yahoo!! Sports.. Is Baker our Marcus Mariota?
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
I would continue to say that I think Baker is our Andy Dalton, but I don't want to be reminded again that Baker won one playoff game to Andy Dalton's zero playoff wins.
Beating the Steelers in that playoff game? Forget on the first scrimmage play the ball got snapped over Ben's head for a gift TD? Or those three interceptions he threw? Crap, we were up 28-zip after the first quarter, and hung on to win.
Is it just me, or anyone else notice Baker's accuracy has gone to hell? Injuries? Maybe, but injured or not, it is what it is. Take a look what Mac Jones did to our secondary with those laser guided bombs. Mayfield used to be able to throw like that. Or, the double whammy that I saw on MNF- Jimmy G with mostly pinpoint passes, ball out quick, and accurate.. To me, this is the most concerning thing about Baker... Compared to the very best in the biz- the Bradys and Rodgers- he's around a half beat late in diagnosing the play If his primary read is covered- he's just too damn slow going through his progressions, and amplifies the problem with his tendency to dance around in the pocket trying to find the open guy. You might also posit- Baker doesn't trust his arm enough anymore to try and throw the ball into tight windows, at the expense of avoiding interceptions. Are the receivers not getting open, or just not enough for Baker to try and throw them the ball?
It's year four in the Baker era.. It's unusual for a quarterback to show drastic improvement after that time frame- though there are a few exceptions. Berry and company are going to have to make a decision if what they're seeing out of Mayfield is good enough to be a consistent playoff team.
-
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
As a Ravens fan, then you have to know if Lamar didn't have the running ability of our Kareem Hunt, you'd be singing a far different tune. His unreal athletic talent makes up for a lot of other deficiencies. Like being able to break off 20 or 30 yard runs when the pocket collapses- which would be guaranteed sacks for almost every other NFL QB.
True, Baker may not have the ability to elevate the play of the others around him. However- Ravens losses to the Bengals, and now the Dolphins are telling me teams are starting to figure out ways to effectively scheme against Jackson.
-
DeShaun Watson won a single playoff game as well, and he’s been playing longer than Mayfield.
I don’t understand the desire to bring him to the Browns.
You should go watch Watson's performances against the Patriots. First game against them was for 350 total yards 2 TD's and 2int's.
Also worth pointing out how sunk that Texans team has been without him.
-
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
As a Ravens fan, then you have to know if Lamar didn't have the running ability of our Kareem Hunt, you'd be singing a far different tune. His unreal athletic talent makes up for a lot of other deficiencies. Like being able to break off 20 or 30 yard runs when the pocket collapses- which would be guaranteed sacks for almost every other NFL QB.
True, Baker may not have the ability to elevate the play of the others around him. However- Ravens losses to the Bengals, and now the Dolphins are telling me teams are starting to figure out ways to effectively scheme against Jackson.
As a Ravens fan, then you have to know if Lamar didn't have the running ability of our Kareem Hunt, you'd be singing a far different tune. His unreal athletic talent makes up for a lot of other deficiencies. Like being able to break off 20 or 30 yard runs when the pocket collapses- which would be guaranteed sacks for almost every other NFL QB.
True, Baker may not have the ability to elevate the play of the others around him. However- Ravens losses to the Bengals, and now the Dolphins are telling me teams are starting to figure out ways to effectively scheme against Jackson.
It may be too soon for Lamar to be the savior of the Ravens but the management there in Baltimore knows what they are looking for and will find it, it may not be a splashy QB but they will find a QB that will fit their system that will raise to the occasion and bring the team with them. It may take a year or so but they will fix it. The Browns management on the other hand will take an afternoon and look through Sport Illustrated College QB edition and spend their time using darts to select their next QB and then wonder why they paid all this money for a Pro Bowl offense and defense then go through the process of reinventing the team. This is how the Browns create a "winning" culture.
To be honest I thought the Bengals were going to be better than they were this year. Every four years they seem to surprise the league with a good team (not great but good) that gets into the playoffs and I thought this was their year. I thought the Browns would be a solid team this year mainly because the Steelers were having QB issues and I expected the Ravens to be on par with the Browns. I was way off base and who can tell. But just like all Browns fans I can say "There is always next season".
-
Deserve is a tough word. I tend to agree he doesn’t deserve top money based on his skill set but the question in the NFL is what’s plan B? QB is the most important and hardest position to procure.
Deserve is a tough word. I tend to agree he doesn’t deserve top money based on his skill set but the question in the NFL is what’s plan B? QB is the most important and hardest position to procure.
I don't think the Browns offer a $40 mill a year contract. $20, maybe. But top $? No way.
-
A Baltimore Raven's fan I worked with would always say "Winners win, Losers lose". I'd always say duh! but now I get it. The QB is a special leader on the field that always needs to inspire others to step up their game even when they may not be at the top of their own game. These A+++QB's are extremely rare and I can only name a few, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger (in his prime) and even though he's young Lamar Jackson. I know this will irritate many Browns fans but you have to call an ugly baby ugly sometimes. Baker Mayfield is ugly he lacks that spark that inspires others to greatness or at least be part of greatness. I don't blame Baker I'm sure he works hard but he lacks the presence that great QB's have to propel a team to greatness. I blame the management, too long they've wanted to make a headline splash by selecting a QB that is flashy and grabs headlines. As we know many many of these selections do not pan out. I believe the Browns should consider trading for an A++ or A+++ QB that is established and solid who wants to work behind one of the best offensive lines in football and be the center piece of an offence with many Pro Bowl tools. May be select a good solid QB in the draft to be second to the selected A+++ QB so that even when this stellar QB is not behind center their presence will still be felt. The Browns have had a history of QBs that are in the trash bin of history but if you expecting Baker to lead the Browns to greatness you will be sorely disappointed.
So your busy polishing all of those Vince Lombardi trophies that Lamar Jackson helped you guys win?
So your busy polishing all of those Vince Lombardi trophies that Lamar Jackson helped you guys win?
Nope I dislike Baltimore with a passion but at least their management knows how to put together a winning team even one stolen from Cleveland. Baker is not the answer may be an Aaron Rodgers or other leading QB would be interested in leading the Browns then things would turn around. I'll still root for the Browns every week and watch them on my phone (most of their games are not available in my neck of the woods). I've been a fan since Brian Sipe and the Pruitts and my family had season tickets during the good and bad years.
-
Deserve is a tough word. I tend to agree he doesn’t deserve top money based on his skill set but the question in the NFL is what’s plan B? QB is the most important and hardest position to procure.
I don't think the Browns offer a $40 mill a year contract. $20, maybe. But top $? No way.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login