Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.8k 1
  • I’m not a Baker hater or Baker apologist, but to me, he needs more things in his favor to succeed then most QB’S.
     

    He doesn’t seem to be able to put the team on his back. I want him to be that, because, I sure don’t want the losers we have had for most of the last 22 years, but he’s not that at this point in his career

  • @atom said:

    baker needs to sit the rest of the year 

    How many games until the bye ?    🥷

    @mjp28 said:

    How many games until the bye ?    🥷

    Just one more loss to the Rat Birds assuming he plays...  

    @atom said:

    baker did not speak to reporters after todays game

    wonder why ?

    Maker Bayfield...  You had another SHITTY  game. OWN IT. Be thankful it was against the crappy Lions, playing their new QB- or you would have chalked up another embarrassing loss.  

     Note to Stefanski- just stop playing the guy when he's obviously crippled.  

  • I'm going to lose my mind if Baker is starting against the Ravens. 

  • Watching how Burrow operates from empty vs Baker is... telling.  Night and day.  

  • I’m not a Baker hater or Baker apologist, but to me, he needs more things in his favor to succeed then most QB’S.
     

    He doesn’t seem to be able to put the team on his back. I want him to be that, because, I sure don’t want the losers we have had for most of the last 22 years, but he’s not that at this point in his career

    @browns149 said:

    I’m not a Baker hater or Baker apologist, but to me, he needs more things in his favor to succeed then most QB’S.
     

    He doesn’t seem to be able to put the team on his back. I want him to be that, because, I sure don’t want the losers we have had for most of the last 22 years, but he’s not that at this point in his career

    I don't want to get too far off topic. 

     
    It would appear to me that the Mayfield Camp has been told or believes that the Browns FO questions whether or not he is the future Franchise QB. And if that were the case, then he would have to prove something this season.
     
    If there was confidence he was, unquestionably, the Franchise QB I assume he would have started whatever surgeries, procedures and processes that need to take place so that he could come back better in 2022.
     
    I only get to see the Browns' nationally broadcast games so I get my take from the Board and watch the game highlights. He has no business playing, I don't care how viable Case Keenum may or may not be. It's becoming apparent this is not their year so now it's time to finish strong and begin the necessary moves to make a run in 2022.
     
    As far as his contract goes, I don't understand why he thinks putting the Browns over the barrel is beneficial. I live in Colts' country and saw firsthand how Peyton Manning's $98M contract and $90M contract handicapped the Colts, especially their OL and defense. While Peyton Manning was getting paid, Tom Brady was winning Super Bowls. In hindsight, I bet Peyton would gladly trade $20M for a couple more Super Bowls.
     
    Thankfully, the Browns have solidified the OL, but it frustrates me that he thinks he's a $35M-$40M/year QB. He should tell his agent he'll take $25M/year. He should tell the Browns' FO to fill in the gaps with remaining money so a Championship Team can be built. If he wants more money, his agent needs to find some more endorsement deals or push Progressive to go the Castrol route ala John Force and make him and only him their man.
     
    I want Baker to be the man because the process of finding a Franchise QB is an awfully expensive, rarely lucrative craps shoot, and most Teams get lost in the wilderness.  He's not a generational talent, but he's the best talent the Browns have had in a generation. Save the Packers, Favre to Rodgers, it's just not often that teams go from winning QB to winning QB. My greatest concern about Baker is that he'd go the route of Drew Brees and go have a second, more successful and Super Bowl-winning career elsewhere. I'm not being scared, I'm being pragmatic. 
  • Watching how Burrow operates from empty vs Baker is... telling.  Night and day.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    Watching how Burrow operates from empty vs Baker is... telling.  Night and day.  

    See above... the guy belongs on IR, not out there trying to lose games.... Have I mentioned several times.... He's sailing passes?  Nice INT throwing the ball 10 feet over Landry's head.  His accuracy is shot. His vision is shot...  We commented he threw the ball into triple coverage, got bailed out by a PI, and didn't see Johnson totally alone. Go post the still Tia.  🙂   See below...  

  • The NFL.com take....  

    Maker Bayfield...  has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break.

    MHO? Guts only get you so far... And I agree with Terry Pluto- and a bunch of others- that it was f'n STUPID to play Baker against the Lions.. You want to ride him Kev? You're Captaining the Titanic this year if you do. The last two Mayfield performances could have been equaled by some no-name third string nobody....  

  • You almost at this point get the impression that Baker could die out of the field, and Stefanski would go full-out 'Weekend at Bernie's' with Baker's corpse for a full quarter before bringing in Keenum. 

  • Baker is what I want in every Browns player,  tough as nails and always in the fight.  When the fuck are people going to get off his back? Is it his fault Stefanski doesn't have a spine to pull him?

  • baker did not speak to reporters after todays game

    wonder why ?

    @atom said:

    baker did not speak to reporters after todays game

    wonder why ?

    He was probably in the back getting an IV and laying on a stretcher

  • N Neo

    Baker is what I want in every Browns player,  tough as nails and always in the fight.  When the fuck are people going to get off his back? Is it his fault Stefanski doesn't have a spine to pull him?

    @neo said:

    Baker is what I want in every Browns player,  tough as nails and always in the fight.  When the fuck are people going to get off his back? Is it his fault Stefanski doesn't have a spine to pull him?

    They're both at fault. Stefanski takes most of the blame, but it's also Baker's responsibility to call his own number when he knows he is hurting the team because he can't play to his potential. Unless we manage to sign Rodgers in the offseason, Baker is getting franchise tagged.

  • “No one better say anything bad about Baker Mayfield after this game,” she (Emily Mayfield) wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I don’t think I have seen toughness like this in a while. Maybe the rest our team should take the hint and get tougher.”

     
  • “No one better say anything bad about Baker Mayfield after this game,” she (Emily Mayfield) wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I don’t think I have seen toughness like this in a while. Maybe the rest our team should take the hint and get tougher.”

     

    @dutch-oven said:

    “No one better say anything bad about Baker Mayfield after this game,” she (Emily Mayfield) wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I don’t think I have seen toughness like this in a while. Maybe the rest our team should take the hint and get tougher.”

     

    Emily- go kiss his boo-boos and make them feel better tonight.... 

    Maybe Baker should go to the Coach and say... I'm playing like shit?  (because I'm hurt) And Stef needs to take his helmet away. 

    Monte Python's Black Knight without any legs.   

  • The NFL.com take....  

    Maker Bayfield...  has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break.

    MHO? Guts only get you so far... And I agree with Terry Pluto- and a bunch of others- that it was f'n STUPID to play Baker against the Lions.. You want to ride him Kev? You're Captaining the Titanic this year if you do. The last two Mayfield performances could have been equaled by some no-name third string nobody....  

    @hoorta said:

    The NFL.com take....  

    Maker Bayfield...  has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break.

    MHO? Guts only get you so far... And I agree with Terry Pluto- and a bunch of others- that it was f'n STUPID to play Baker against the Lions.. You want to ride him Kev? You're Captaining the Titanic this year if you do. The last two Mayfield performances could have been equaled by some no-name third string nobody....  

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

  • @hoorta said:

    The NFL.com take....  

    Maker Bayfield...  has reached a new low in his NFL career. Mayfield is clearly injured, yet he insists on gutting out his multiple ailments, and Kevin Stefanski is abiding to the detriment of his offense. Mayfield was again dreadful, completing 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown (a short pass in the flats to Chubb) and two interceptions. Many of his incompletions were to open receivers Mayfield simply missed, the interceptions were typically ugly, and the plays in between inspired so little confidence in Cleveland's offense as it currently exists, Browns fans rained boos down on the field -- while winning the game. Gone are the days of Stefanski's sharp, balanced and unpredictable attack. In its place is an offense stuck in 5 feet of mud with a banged-up quarterback trying to pull them out of it. Folks wearing brown and orange are seriously considering a future without Mayfield, who looks nothing like the quarterback who helped Cleveland win a playoff game last year. It's tough to evaluate him because of his injuries, but it's even more difficult to understand why the Browns aren't turning to Case Keenum just to give Mayfield a break.

    MHO? Guts only get you so far... And I agree with Terry Pluto- and a bunch of others- that it was f'n STUPID to play Baker against the Lions.. You want to ride him Kev? You're Captaining the Titanic this year if you do. The last two Mayfield performances could have been equaled by some no-name third string nobody....  

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

    @jcam222 said:

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

    then the question becomes- why is the "organizational" group think- thinking after seeing a crippled Mayfield post back to back 50 QBR games that he's gotta play- even if it's obvious he's hurting the team?  We're not beating the Rat Birds with QB play on a college Division II level.   

  • @jcam222 said:

    I’m convinced Stefanski isn’t making the final call to stick with Baker in these games. I believe post game he called the decisions an organizational one. He’s the kind of guy that would say it was his if it was. 

    then the question becomes- why is the "organizational" group think- thinking after seeing a crippled Mayfield post back to back 50 QBR games that he's gotta play- even if it's obvious he's hurting the team?  We're not beating the Rat Birds with QB play on a college Division II level.   

    @hoorta said:

    then the question becomes- why is the "organizational" group think- thinking after seeing a crippled Mayfield post back to back 50 QBR games that he's gotta play- even if it's obvious he's hurting the team?  We're not beating the Rat Birds with QB play on a college Division II level.   

    100% agree

  • Tough is one thing, STUPID is another!

    I never played organized football, but golfed & bowled at high levels, UNTIL I tried to "play through" a shoulder injury. The result was permanent damage & a huge, lasting decline in both sports. WHOEVER  is refusing to shut Baker down is not looking to his (and the team's) best interests OR his future in Cleveland.

    Mike

  • There are times I just hate the fans. I suppose Baker feels the same way. There's probably not a player in the league that hates not playing up to his potential as badly as he does.. There's a reason that the backup quarterback isn't starting for another team. Usually that reason is that the starter is as good or better even at 80% . At any rate these are my guys these are the guys I root for these are the guys I support. If they fall short I feel shitty just like they do. No doubt we all know fans who scream and bitch and curse their own team for every mistake. What fun can that be? Screw those people.

    WSS

  • I suppose my issue is this - IF Baker is the leader of this team, then it underscores just why I believe there is such a dearth of leadership in this world. 

    Being a leader isn't just about being fiery, toughness, vocal, etc etc.  It's about accountability and doing what is best for those in your charge.   It also means, despite how much it might suck, removing yourself from the equation to make clear decisions.  If I can't hit a throw that many NFL backups can in that moment without a high probability of a turnover, a turnover that hurts my team, then I shouldn't be out there. 

    Of course this isn't easy to say to yourself.  It goes against every competitive instinct you have.  And I sympathize with that because in your heart you care, therefore you'll always feel like you give your guys the best shot of winning.  Circle back around to what I said about removing ones self from the equation.  

    If Baker is concerned about booing, it's because his competitive nature and desire to be out there is so strong that it is now bordering on selfishness. If my QBs presence hurts more than it helps then I have to sit him down for an unpleasant conversation.  

    I wouldn't have boo'd Baker, it's bad form.  But I would boo Stef for willingly allowing an injured player to be in that situation. 

  • There are times I just hate the fans. I suppose Baker feels the same way. There's probably not a player in the league that hates not playing up to his potential as badly as he does.. There's a reason that the backup quarterback isn't starting for another team. Usually that reason is that the starter is as good or better even at 80% . At any rate these are my guys these are the guys I root for these are the guys I support. If they fall short I feel shitty just like they do. No doubt we all know fans who scream and bitch and curse their own team for every mistake. What fun can that be? Screw those people.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    There are times I just hate the fans. I suppose Baker feels the same way. There's probably not a player in the league that hates not playing up to his potential as badly as he does.. There's a reason that the backup quarterback isn't starting for another team. Usually that reason is that the starter is as good or better even at 80% . At any rate these are my guys these are the guys I wrote for these are the guys I support. If they fall short I feel shitty just like they do. No doubt we all know fans who scream and bitch and curse their own team for every mistake. What fun can that be? Screw those people.

    WSS

    ❤    ?   comes with the price of a ticket, so they say.. showing some class towards a playing injured player? cost ya nothing... Great Post Sir Westside !