Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.8k 1
  • F - it was the worst performance I've seen by a winning QB that I remember in recent memory (not just the Browns but any team). 

    @berniesuperbowl said:

    F - it was the worst performance I've seen by a winning QB that I remember in recent memory (not just the Browns but any team). 

    Boo hoo, the operative word is we WON. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Footwork and shoulder direction are the next best explanations.  Although I was never a fan of how much knee bend he has in his stance.   Need him to stand a little "taller" and really drive off that back foot to gather his velocity.  Sometimes I genuinely believe he's throwing with the strength of his upper body and arm too* much.   If the ball leaves his hands a little early on a more 3/4 style delivery, can cause the nose of the ball to sail high.   

    Educated guesses at this point.

    Two takeaways from Red Zone last night. Comment #1- Baker is trying too hard to to drive the ball on many occasions, and trying to be another Josh Allen. His arm strength is decent, but it's never going to be elite. I know from my tennis days if you try to hit your serve as hard as you can, your accuracy usually goes to hell- unless you get lucky. Comment#2 Donovan talked to Chris Hubbard Monday, and Chris said "I'm close".  Comment #3 Dieken said if Hubbard is a go, they should shut Willis down for a couple weeks. Admirable that you want to be out there but not at the expense of hurting the team. 

    @gumby73 said:

    Your 1st claim seems accurate.. Your not popping anybody's shoulder joint back into place without the pain of some stretched ligaments in that shoulder.. Torn? the browns staff can't hide

     Fig 1.2 - The ligaments of the shoulder joint. The transverse humeral ligament is not shown on this diagram.  any doctors? have at it... https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/joints/shoulder/

    Yeah- Baker did sort of mention about popping something back in place. Nephew dislocated his shoulder and said getting it back in place hurt like hell. Usually that's a ER visit with some painkillers. I hope it's not something like a torn rotator cuff.   

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah- Baker did sort of mention about popping something back in place. Nephew dislocated his shoulder and said getting it back in place hurt like hell. Usually that's a ER visit with some painkillers. I hope it's not something like a torn rotator cuff.   

    Got mine dislocated a few times, and even had surgery. It never hurt getting it back in place, simply because as the first doctor told me "YOU are the one that will put it in place, if you relax all your muscles, I will just move it a bit and it will find its position." 

    The thing with shoulders is that they are awful if they get injured. The body compensates and then your "good shoulder" hurts too. The back muscles connect both of them so I would understand it throwing your mechanics off. Maybe simply Baker needs to put "a lot" into the ball to keep the same passing range he usually has, as he relies in his upper body (his footwork needing some improvement is no news), and at some point he simply is doing something a tad different.

    Learning to work around some pain and hurt parts must be very challenging if you are a NFL QB where the windows are further and smaller. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Footwork and shoulder direction are the next best explanations.  Although I was never a fan of how much knee bend he has in his stance.   Need him to stand a little "taller" and really drive off that back foot to gather his velocity.  Sometimes I genuinely believe he's throwing with the strength of his upper body and arm too* much.   If the ball leaves his hands a little early on a more 3/4 style delivery, can cause the nose of the ball to sail high.   

    Educated guesses at this point.

    Two takeaways from Red Zone last night. Comment #1- Baker is trying too hard to to drive the ball on many occasions, and trying to be another Josh Allen. His arm strength is decent, but it's never going to be elite. I know from my tennis days if you try to hit your serve as hard as you can, your accuracy usually goes to hell- unless you get lucky. Comment#2 Donovan talked to Chris Hubbard Monday, and Chris said "I'm close".  Comment #3 Dieken said if Hubbard is a go, they should shut Willis down for a couple weeks. Admirable that you want to be out there but not at the expense of hurting the team. 

    @gumby73 said:

    Your 1st claim seems accurate.. Your not popping anybody's shoulder joint back into place without the pain of some stretched ligaments in that shoulder.. Torn? the browns staff can't hide

     Fig 1.2 - The ligaments of the shoulder joint. The transverse humeral ligament is not shown on this diagram.  any doctors? have at it... https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/joints/shoulder/

    Yeah- Baker did sort of mention about popping something back in place. Nephew dislocated his shoulder and said getting it back in place hurt like hell. Usually that's a ER visit with some painkillers. I hope it's not something like a torn rotator cuff.   

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah- Baker did sort of mention about popping something back in place. Nephew dislocated his shoulder and said getting it back in place hurt like hell. Usually that's a ER visit with some painkillers. I hope it's not something like a torn rotator cuff. 

    I fell on my elbow some years back - dislocated my shoulder but it popped right back in. I walked into the house, and my Wife came running from another room knowing something was really wrong- because I was too quiet. lol

       I simply slipped on some mud at night walking back to the house, and could barely lift my arm. Had an MRI and one of my rotator cuffs was completely popped apart.

       Hopefully it's just a sprain, but that has to hurt like hell in a game.

    BTW, Baker said in the press conference - He takes a lot of pride in his accuracy - and he doesn't know what the hell that was" (referring to his dismal outing vs the vikings). He also mentioned about wanting to get the ball out faster - I think he rushed several throws. That can be fixed.

      If Hubbard has to play at LT in place of Wills, I wonder if that changes the playcalling and Baker's confidence in not getting his left shoulder banged up and making him leave the game.

      The knashing of teeth about Baker etc is just ridiculous. He has led the NFL in at least 4 categories.

  • F - it was the worst performance I've seen by a winning QB that I remember in recent memory (not just the Browns but any team). 

    @berniesuperbowl said:

    F - it was the worst performance I've seen

    The cure for your chronic despair
    Is nothing exotic or rare.
    A lead lobotomy
    Simply ought to be
    The relevant standard of care.

  • Last 2 drives sucked!  Stefanski calls were shit!

  • There is no way that a torn labrum in his non-thrrowng shoulder is not impacting his throws, I partially tore my left anterior labrum golfing and tried in vain to let it heal. A year later it would still kill me everytime i tried to reach be behind my bqck. Something which I leaned I did more than I thought I would, e.g., drying off after a shower. It got to where I dreaded any backward/ yorso-rotational reach with my left arm due to anticipation of the pain. I guarantee you that this anticipation has crept into BM's mind. While the non-throwing arm is not powering the ball,it is rotating out of itns way. And then there are the hits.... Corteson can buy a hour or so of relief. But the cartilage will not heal on its own. It is only going to worse,  be more painful and potentially more difficult to repair(?)

    My Ortho was able to scope my repair so my recovery time was about 6 weeks. Had he had to open my shoulder up for the repair the time jumped to 6 months. To me it's a no-braainer... shut BM one now and set the Docs to work. Maybe we get him back for a deep playoff run, but we will for sure get him back for an offseason workout to feed our 5th-year option decision. There will be some good, young QBs in the 2022 Draft, if we need to tab one.

  • There is no way that a torn labrum in his non-thrrowng shoulder is not impacting his throws, I partially tore my left anterior labrum golfing and tried in vain to let it heal. A year later it would still kill me everytime i tried to reach be behind my bqck. Something which I leaned I did more than I thought I would, e.g., drying off after a shower. It got to where I dreaded any backward/ yorso-rotational reach with my left arm due to anticipation of the pain. I guarantee you that this anticipation has crept into BM's mind. While the non-throwing arm is not powering the ball,it is rotating out of itns way. And then there are the hits.... Corteson can buy a hour or so of relief. But the cartilage will not heal on its own. It is only going to worse,  be more painful and potentially more difficult to repair(?)

    My Ortho was able to scope my repair so my recovery time was about 6 weeks. Had he had to open my shoulder up for the repair the time jumped to 6 months. To me it's a no-braainer... shut BM one now and set the Docs to work. Maybe we get him back for a deep playoff run, but we will for sure get him back for an offseason workout to feed our 5th-year option decision. There will be some good, young QBs in the 2022 Draft, if we need to tab one.

    @tour2ma said:

    There is no way that a torn labrum in his non-thrrowng shoulder is not impacting his throws, I partially tore my left anterior labrum golfing and tried in vain to let it heal. A year later it would still kill me everytime i tried to reach be behind my bqck. Something which I leaned I did more than I thought I would, e.g., drying off after a shower. It got to where I dreaded any backward/ yorso-rotational reach with my left arm due to anticipation of the pain. I guarantee you that this anticipation has crept into BM's mind. While the non-throwing arm is not powering the ball,it is rotating out of itns way. And then there are the hits.... Corteson can buy a hour or so of relief. But the cartilage will not heal on its own. It is only going to worse,  be more painful and potentially more difficult to repair(?)

    My Ortho was able to scope my repair so my recovery time was about 6 weeks. Had he had to open my shoulder up for the repair the time jumped to 6 months. To me it's a no-braainer... shut BM one now and set the Docs to work. Maybe we get him back for a deep playoff run, but we will for sure get him back for an offseason workout to feed our 5th-year option decision. There will be some good, young QBs in the 2022 Draft, if we need to tab one.

    Interesting thought, but I think it's hard to make that move when the defense has so many injuries you won't be able to rely on them solely to win the game. 

  • There is no way that a torn labrum in his non-thrrowng shoulder is not impacting his throws, I partially tore my left anterior labrum golfing and tried in vain to let it heal. A year later it would still kill me everytime i tried to reach be behind my bqck. Something which I leaned I did more than I thought I would, e.g., drying off after a shower. It got to where I dreaded any backward/ yorso-rotational reach with my left arm due to anticipation of the pain. I guarantee you that this anticipation has crept into BM's mind. While the non-throwing arm is not powering the ball,it is rotating out of itns way. And then there are the hits.... Corteson can buy a hour or so of relief. But the cartilage will not heal on its own. It is only going to worse,  be more painful and potentially more difficult to repair(?)

    My Ortho was able to scope my repair so my recovery time was about 6 weeks. Had he had to open my shoulder up for the repair the time jumped to 6 months. To me it's a no-braainer... shut BM one now and set the Docs to work. Maybe we get him back for a deep playoff run, but we will for sure get him back for an offseason workout to feed our 5th-year option decision. There will be some good, young QBs in the 2022 Draft, if we need to tab one.

    @tour2ma said:

    There is no way that a torn labrum in his non-thrrowng shoulder is not impacting his throws, I partially tore my left anterior labrum golfing and tried in vain to let it heal. A year later it would still kill me everytime i tried to reach be behind my bqck. Something which I leaned I did more than I thought I would, e.g., drying off after a shower. It got to where I dreaded any backward/ yorso-rotational reach with my left arm due to anticipation of the pain. I guarantee you that this anticipation has crept into BM's mind. While the non-throwing arm is not powering the ball,it is rotating out of itns way. And then there are the hits.... Corteson can buy a hour or so of relief. But the cartilage will not heal on its own. It is only going to worse,  be more painful and potentially more difficult to repair(?)

    My Ortho was able to scope my repair so my recovery time was about 6 weeks. Had he had to open my shoulder up for the repair the time jumped to 6 months. To me it's a no-braainer... shut BM one now and set the Docs to work. Maybe we get him back for a deep playoff run, but we will for sure get him back for an offseason workout to feed our 5th-year option decision. There will be some good, young QBs in the 2022 Draft, if we need to tab one.

    Injury decisions or not, we need to draft a good young QB.  New England had Brady but drafted a few.  One, it never hurts to have a solid prospect on the shelf.  Secondly, it gives you a nice prospect to trade when the time is right.

    We don't really draft for need as a primary draft focus, so sooner or later a QB is going to be sitting there in round 2-3-4 where it makes sense to draft the kid.  Heck, maybe round 1 if it is the right player, but I do agree that is probably a stretch.  Need does play some role in your draft investment.

  • Mrs. Baker Mayfield dropped this gem on the Twitters Monday afternoon...

    emily mayfield .jpg

  • Mrs. Baker Mayfield dropped this gem on the Twitters Monday afternoon...

    emily mayfield .jpg

    @dutch-oven said:

    Mrs. Baker Mayfield dropped this gem on the Twitters Monday afternoon...

    emily mayfield .jpg

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

  • N Neo

    @dutch-oven said:

    Mrs. Baker Mayfield dropped this gem on the Twitters Monday afternoon...

    emily mayfield .jpg

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

    @neo said:

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

    Baker definitely played well. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    There is no way that a torn labrum in his non-thrrowng shoulder is not impacting his throws, I partially tore my left anterior labrum golfing and tried in vain to let it heal. A year later it would still kill me everytime i tried to reach be behind my bqck. Something which I leaned I did more than I thought I would, e.g., drying off after a shower. It got to where I dreaded any backward/ yorso-rotational reach with my left arm due to anticipation of the pain. I guarantee you that this anticipation has crept into BM's mind. While the non-throwing arm is not powering the ball,it is rotating out of itns way. And then there are the hits.... Corteson can buy a hour or so of relief. But the cartilage will not heal on its own. It is only going to worse,  be more painful and potentially more difficult to repair(?)

    My Ortho was able to scope my repair so my recovery time was about 6 weeks. Had he had to open my shoulder up for the repair the time jumped to 6 months. To me it's a no-braainer... shut BM one now and set the Docs to work. Maybe we get him back for a deep playoff run, but we will for sure get him back for an offseason workout to feed our 5th-year option decision. There will be some good, young QBs in the 2022 Draft, if we need to tab one.

    Interesting thought, but I think it's hard to make that move when the defense has so many injuries you won't be able to rely on them solely to win the game. 

    @nero said:

    Interesting thought, but I think it's hard to make that move when the defense has so many injuries you won't be able to rely on them solely to win the game. 

    Still a lot to like abut BM, but ya gottta know if he can be repaired before you commit to him. If the rest of the team cannot carry us to his potential return,and I agree that it  is unlikely they then that's on them, But it is far more important in my mind to attempt the repair and know the result of that effort. Than a dim SB hope this year when even a perfectly healthy BM nets us maybe a 6th seed on the AFC side of the bracket.

    We can hang with the best, but "hanging with" ain't beating.... and if you cannot commit to BM, then the search is on again starting in 2022.

  • @neo said:

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

    Baker definitely played well. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Baker definitely played well. 

    more the reason, Mrs. Baker needs to shut down her social media for 17 weeks... 

  • N Neo

    @dutch-oven said:

    Mrs. Baker Mayfield dropped this gem on the Twitters Monday afternoon...

    emily mayfield .jpg

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

    @neo said:

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

    Baker played well but the elite QB on that field was Herbert. In the final drive Baker missed an open OBJ but went for a contested throw to Higgins. After the Defensive players were dropping like flies we needed elite play from Baker but didn’t get it. That may be due to injury but is it what it is. 

  • @neo said:

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

    Baker played well but the elite QB on that field was Herbert. In the final drive Baker missed an open OBJ but went for a contested throw to Higgins. After the Defensive players were dropping like flies we needed elite play from Baker but didn’t get it. That may be due to injury but is it what it is. 

    @mddawg said:

    Baker played well but the elite QB on that field was Herbert. In the final drive Baker missed an open OBJ but went for a contested throw to Higgins. After the Defensive players were dropping like flies we needed elite play from Baker but didn’t get it. That may be due to injury but is it what it is. 

    Then why did Baker complete 71.8 % of his passes and Herbert completed only 60.4 % of his passes? It's a team game. And the Browns have injuries to their offensive line? ???

  • @neo said:

    Baker had a fine game against the Chargers. Odell dropping a pass in his chest on 4th down, a blown coverage for a TD can't happen against a good team like  the Chargers. That was a tough one to swallow.

    Baker definitely played well. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Baker definitely played well. 

    he usually plays well but he is not an elite qb....he's had numerous chances dating back to the divisional playoff game against the chiefs to make a statement and still has not.....maybe it changes....odell will be gone at the trading deadline by the way....hope he goes to the packers...don't want to see brady win another ring....the pack getting odell will put them in pretty damn good position....odell i think is still a top 5 reciever...just not with the browns...don't know what the issue or issues are but it ain't gonna work here with him....its quite obvious...

  • This thread does read like some sort of talk therapy with a 25-year-old.. "My parents never had a 300-yard pass game with no INT's so if it happens now, that can't be REAL!  And I have FEELINGS about it! And somehow OBJ is responsible I just know it!"

  • @mddawg said:

    Baker played well but the elite QB on that field was Herbert. In the final drive Baker missed an open OBJ but went for a contested throw to Higgins. After the Defensive players were dropping like flies we needed elite play from Baker but didn’t get it. That may be due to injury but is it what it is. 

    Then why did Baker complete 71.8 % of his passes and Herbert completed only 60.4 % of his passes? It's a team game. And the Browns have injuries to their offensive line? ???

    @calfoxwc said:

    Then why did Baker complete 71.8 % of his passes and Herbert completed only 60.4 % of his passes? It's a team game. And the Browns have injuries to their offensive line? ???

    Offensive structure is something many people fail to take into account.  Offensive structure also involves passing volume. 

    There are good reasons I've mentioned this sort of thing many times before. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Then why did Baker complete 71.8 % of his passes and Herbert completed only 60.4 % of his passes? It's a team game. And the Browns have injuries to their offensive line? ???

    Offensive structure is something many people fail to take into account.  Offensive structure also involves passing volume. 

    There are good reasons I've mentioned this sort of thing many times before. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Offensive structure is something many people fail to take into account.  Offensive structure also involves passing volume. 

    There are good reasons I've mentioned this sort of thing many times before. 

    I think it's fair to say Baker throws high percentage passes like flare outs..And medium rage (safe passes) Dump offs.. that sort of thing.. That can skew the numbers a bit...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Offensive structure is something many people fail to take into account.  Offensive structure also involves passing volume. 

    There are good reasons I've mentioned this sort of thing many times before. 

    I think it's fair to say Baker throws high percentage passes like flare outs..And medium rage (safe passes) Dump offs.. that sort of thing.. That can skew the numbers a bit...

    @nickers said:

    I think it's fair to say Baker throws high percentage passes like flare outs..And medium rage (safe passes) Dump offs.. that sort of thing.. That can skew the numbers a bit...

    The higher percentage throws are a part of that.    The balanced attack is the bigger piece, the running game opening up passing lanes is a QB's best friend.