Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.8k 1
  •  -- 34 minutes of agreement with tia.

    JT O'Sullivan [QB School channel] is a pretty good analyst.

    "This video is about to be a damn hour long because I can't get over throwing a pick to a post safety on a post route"

    @unsympathetic said:

     -- 34 minutes of agreement with tia.

    JT O'Sullivan [QB School channel] is a pretty good analyst.

    "This video is about to be a damn hour long because I can't get over throwing a pick to a post safety on a post route"

    Appreciate the nod. 

     I have more work, both bad AND some good of Baker,  actually, sitting on my desktop needing to be typed out and organized.     But I'm battling covid symptoms still and sleeping a great deal.   I'll get around to it at some point along with the off-season topics I wanted to tackle. 

    Sadly NFL.com doesnt keep the All-22 from previous seasons archived and available,  so I'm going to reach out to a couple guys on reddit.  I really need the screenshots to go back and connect things I'm trying to show.

    I'll check out that video after the game.

  • Two things I've been saying before and throughout this season.

    - Joe Woods isn't the issue 

    - Baker is the largest issue. 

    Sad some of you need such disgustingly blatant examples to realize this.  

    Also, if you didn't like my play breakdowns....

    jack-nicholson.gif

  • Two things I've been saying before and throughout this season.

    - Joe Woods isn't the issue 

    - Baker is the largest issue. 

    Sad some of you need such disgustingly blatant examples to realize this.  

    Also, if you didn't like my play breakdowns....

    jack-nicholson.gif

    @tiamat63 said:

    Two things I've been saying before and throughout this season.

    - Joe Woods isn't the issue 

    - Baker is the largest issue. 

    Sad some of you need such disgustingly blatant examples to realize this.  

    Also, if you didn't like my play breakdowns....

    jack-nicholson.gif

    Baker's QB play today was horrendously bad. Sure, there were drops. But damn, the accuracy just wasn't there at least 50% of the time. Batted down balls- staring down his receivers, and sacks where he had plenty of time to just throw the ball (four seconds) into the seats...  That was a sub college level backup performance. I'm pissed off at Stefanski for not benching him when he went 1 for ten on completions. What more did you need to see Kev? Grow a set, and sit him against the Bengals.  

    I dare anyone to post and break down every one of Baker's misses... It's not going to be pretty. Damn, when you can't even hit your running back on a designed inside screen from 10 yards away?  That blows.    

  • Trade for Tua.  Everyone thinks he's a bum.  He throws bad picks early in games, gets pissed and wins.  Miami wants Watson.  A bag of oranges would get Tua.  Those idiots love natural disasters and citrus.

    @skippinturtles said:

    @dutch-oven said:

    Guess what, Baker Mayfield is most likely going to be your guy, my guy, EVERYONE'S guy next year. Get him his surgery, his rehab, and continue to improve the roster around him. 

    After next season? We'll see. 

    Bring in Big Ben and Antonio Brown.  Shake it up.

  • Zombo, Cal, Nickers, Steve and a few more of you.  This thread brilliantly describes what I've hinted at before.  The whole "I'd rather lose with Baker than win with anyone else".

    Garrett Bush@Gbush91
    Sports is entertainment to fans. People aren’t invested in how much money a film makes at the box office. They only care about seeing their favorite actor. Some fans don’t truly care about winning. Deep down they only care about seeing Baker play. The losing doesn’t hurt.#Browns
  • Zombo, Cal, Nickers, Steve and a few more of you.  This thread brilliantly describes what I've hinted at before.  The whole "I'd rather lose with Baker than win with anyone else".

    Garrett Bush@Gbush91
    Sports is entertainment to fans. People aren’t invested in how much money a film makes at the box office. They only care about seeing their favorite actor. Some fans don’t truly care about winning. Deep down they only care about seeing Baker play. The losing doesn’t hurt.#Browns

    @tiamat63 said:

    Zombo, Cal, Nickers, Steve and a few more of you.  This thread brilliantly describes what I've hinted at before.  The whole "I'd rather lose with Baker than LOSE with anyone else".

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Gbush91/status/1478291982128664582?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1478291982128664582|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html1478291982128664582

    That's ridiculous so I fixed it for you.

    Let me ask honestly is it your opinion we would have won with Case Keenum/Mullins/Lauletta at the helm?

    WSS

  • Zombo, Cal, Nickers, Steve and a few more of you.  This thread brilliantly describes what I've hinted at before.  The whole "I'd rather lose with Baker than win with anyone else".

    Garrett Bush@Gbush91
    Sports is entertainment to fans. People aren’t invested in how much money a film makes at the box office. They only care about seeing their favorite actor. Some fans don’t truly care about winning. Deep down they only care about seeing Baker play. The losing doesn’t hurt.#Browns

    @tiamat63 said:

    Zombo, Cal, Nickers, Steve and a few more of you.  This thread brilliantly describes what I've hinted at before.  The whole "I'd rather lose with Baker than win with anyone else".

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Gbush91/status/1478291982128664582?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1478291982128664582|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html1478291982128664582

    Garrett Bush ? Whines about Baker? and last year doesn't matter? - Baker played great last year. Baker's injury is the matter.

    Nothing matters to him but blaming the qb? Even Doug Dieken was commenting on how the Browns wr's  - NONE OF THEM WERE GETTING OPEN.Perhaps Garrett won't be happy that the Browns will? draft a star wr next year.

    Your contention is stupid. Most of us want to WIN - and they WON LAST YEAR WITH BAKER.

    You Baker haters think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, when you can't see over the fence.

    I'd rather listen to Dieken talking about how no wr's were getting open again and again, than Garrett Bush. lol

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Zombo, Cal, Nickers, Steve and a few more of you.  This thread brilliantly describes what I've hinted at before.  The whole "I'd rather lose with Baker than LOSE with anyone else".

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Gbush91/status/1478291982128664582?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1478291982128664582|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html1478291982128664582

    That's ridiculous so I fixed it for you.

    Let me ask honestly is it your opinion we would have won with Case Keenum/Mullins/Lauletta at the helm?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    That's ridiculous so I fixed it for you.

    Let me ask honestly is it your opinion we would have won with Case Keenum/Mullins/Lauletta at the helm?

    WSS

    As I've said before, especially when it comes to minimizing turnovers, Keenum would have been the wiser start for quite some time now. 

    Do we win? It's possible we still lose, but some of the "how do you throw THAT int?!?" would likely have been cleaned up.  The pick to DPJ is my commentary in a nutshell.   Fewer turnovers gives your team a better shot at winning. Period.

    That Twitter thread brilliantly captures some of the mentality on this board that I've hinted at.  

    That doesn't absolve Stefanski for last night either. I'm not sure what is running through his head right now but it's unbecoming of a decent NFL HC.

    Enjoy the off-season, I have work to do.  Feel free to check back in for any of my future segments. 

  • "YoU dOnT kNoW wHaT bAkErS fIrSt ReAd Is"

    "WrS aReNt GeTtInG oPeN"

    FIPkKdbXsAM8oLf.thumb.jpeg.d2155745d99a156920b085623d34d973.jpeg

  • @westside-steve said:

    That's ridiculous so I fixed it for you.

    Let me ask honestly is it your opinion we would have won with Case Keenum/Mullins/Lauletta at the helm?

    WSS

    As I've said before, especially when it comes to minimizing turnovers, Keenum would have been the wiser start for quite some time now. 

    Do we win? It's possible we still lose, but some of the "how do you throw THAT int?!?" would likely have been cleaned up.  The pick to DPJ is my commentary in a nutshell.   Fewer turnovers gives your team a better shot at winning. Period.

    That Twitter thread brilliantly captures some of the mentality on this board that I've hinted at.  

    That doesn't absolve Stefanski for last night either. I'm not sure what is running through his head right now but it's unbecoming of a decent NFL HC.

    Enjoy the off-season, I have work to do.  Feel free to check back in for any of my future segments. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    As I've said before, especially when it comes to minimizing turnovers, Keenum would have been the wiser start for quite some time now. 

    Do we win? It's possible we still lose, but some of the "how do you throw THAT int?!?" would likely have been cleaned up.  The pick to DPJ is my commentary in a nutshell.   Fewer turnovers gives your team a better shot at winning. Period.

    That Twitter thread brilliantly captures some of the mentality on this board that I've hinted at.  

    That doesn't absolve Stefanski for last night either. I'm not sure what is running through his head right now but it's unbecoming of a decent NFL HC.

    Enjoy the off-season, I have work to do.  Feel free to check back in for any of my future segments. 

    Oh well. Can't sign into Twitter so...

    I guess I'll have to go to your backup Colin Cowherd.

    ?

  • I can't wait to see what the Baker apologists have to say this week. But, but his shoulder. But, but the play calling. But, but the refs. No. Just no. Good or bad shoulder, the play calling, good or bad WR's - Baker just blows. He's a bottom 10 QB. People cling on to last year because we got into the playoffs. That's old news. The current news is we have to pay Faker Fakefield $19 million next year, which means our supporting cast will be worse. Imagine how bad Baker will be next year without a top 5 o-line and the best RB corps in the NFL.

  • "YoU dOnT kNoW wHaT bAkErS fIrSt ReAd Is"

    "WrS aReNt GeTtInG oPeN"

    FIPkKdbXsAM8oLf.thumb.jpeg.d2155745d99a156920b085623d34d973.jpeg

    @tiamat63 said:

    YoU dOnT kNoW wHaT bAkErS fIrSt ReAd Is"

    "WrS aReNt GeTtInG oPeN"

    Oh, please. That is ONE PLAY???? lol. He's looking right at him, I guess he was shocked he just got open, and threw him the ball? Do I need to mention how rapistblonker didn't see his TE totally wide open in the end zone in a game?

    https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/4-thoughts-on-browns-ravens

    " Wide receivers cannot get open "

    You know, Chris Collinsworth was a wide receiver right? Without Landry - wr's can't get open. End of most of the passing game.

    *******************************************

    https://www.brownsnation.com/cris-collinsworth-says-one-browns-position-needs-to-step-up/

    Collinsworth pointed out that when Jarvis Landry is injured or covered, Mayfield has struggled.

    The Browns need a second receiver to step up especially against the Ravens because Collinsworth believes the Ravens will be all over Landry.

    *********************************************

     Tiam - the Browns will draft a WR high. for the same reason - that the Bengals drafted Ja'Marr Chase fifth overall when they already had Ty HIggins and Boyd. And it has meant everything to the Bengals offense. Same qb.

  • @westside-steve said:

    That's ridiculous so I fixed it for you.

    Let me ask honestly is it your opinion we would have won with Case Keenum/Mullins/Lauletta at the helm?

    WSS

    As I've said before, especially when it comes to minimizing turnovers, Keenum would have been the wiser start for quite some time now. 

    Do we win? It's possible we still lose, but some of the "how do you throw THAT int?!?" would likely have been cleaned up.  The pick to DPJ is my commentary in a nutshell.   Fewer turnovers gives your team a better shot at winning. Period.

    That Twitter thread brilliantly captures some of the mentality on this board that I've hinted at.  

    That doesn't absolve Stefanski for last night either. I'm not sure what is running through his head right now but it's unbecoming of a decent NFL HC.

    Enjoy the off-season, I have work to do.  Feel free to check back in for any of my future segments. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    As I've said before, especially when it comes to minimizing turnovers, Keenum would have been the wiser start for quite some time now. 

    Do we win? It's possible we still lose, but some of the "how do you throw THAT int?!?" would likely have been cleaned up.  The pick to DPJ is my commentary in a nutshell.   Fewer turnovers gives your team a better shot at winning. Period.

    That Twitter thread brilliantly captures some of the mentality on this board that I've hinted at.  

    That doesn't absolve Stefanski for last night either. I'm not sure what is running through his head right now but it's unbecoming of a decent NFL HC.

    Enjoy the off-season, I have work to do.  Feel free to check back in for any of my future segments. 

    Let me just ask you this simply, as I am indeed a simple man. First, it goes without saying I have serious concerns about Mayfield as the dude moving forward. Last week was beyond a turd, it was a shit sandwich. I didn't even watch the second half of last night candidly.

    But, the simple fact of the matter is the Browns are at least an average team with Mayfield, and he has shown that when fully healthy can play the position at an above average level. QBR is just a measure of it, but Mayfield finished 10th in that stat last year.  Maybe the dude did get figured out, that's very possible. But, overall at least this team is playing competitive football outside the last month. The wheels have seem to fall off the bus for the rest of this season, but it's been a dang refreshing change of pace to A) be in the playoffs and B ) be actively a part of the playoff discussion with two weeks left. I mean this with sincerity that I don't think I can actively be a fan again of another decade of 2-4 win seasons. I'd much rather be "middle of the road" or the "Kirk Cousins special" and hope for a spark (a la the Titans formula) than the shit we saw for so long.

    This all leads me to the conclusion that there were MANY mitigating factors to Mayfield's (and thusly, the team) success this season, starting with a bum shoulder. I think it's worth it strongly to re-tool this offseason and see if Mayfield can bring back that 2020 play with Stefanski God willing getting his head out of his ass. That could easily result in 2022 showing us that Mayfield just got figured out. But watching the first two-ish weeks of the season, it's like watching a different QB. Based on what you see, do you agree with that sentiment or do you feel like it's time to hit the reset button?

  • I just think it's funny the sky is falling mentality.   

  • I can not imagine KS is that stupid, I’d gather he’s smarter then us. I’d also think he’d know losing wouldn’t look good on his resume and wouldn’t self sabotage his career. 

    I wonder if the HC/organization said here you go Baker. Go out win us a game with your arm. Put the team on your shoulders and earn that contract. Go out and be the leader you keep telling us you are.

    I. Don’t. Know. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    As I've said before, especially when it comes to minimizing turnovers, Keenum would have been the wiser start for quite some time now. 

    Do we win? It's possible we still lose, but some of the "how do you throw THAT int?!?" would likely have been cleaned up.  The pick to DPJ is my commentary in a nutshell.   Fewer turnovers gives your team a better shot at winning. Period.

    That Twitter thread brilliantly captures some of the mentality on this board that I've hinted at.  

    That doesn't absolve Stefanski for last night either. I'm not sure what is running through his head right now but it's unbecoming of a decent NFL HC.

    Enjoy the off-season, I have work to do.  Feel free to check back in for any of my future segments. 

    Let me just ask you this simply, as I am indeed a simple man. First, it goes without saying I have serious concerns about Mayfield as the dude moving forward. Last week was beyond a turd, it was a shit sandwich. I didn't even watch the second half of last night candidly.

    But, the simple fact of the matter is the Browns are at least an average team with Mayfield, and he has shown that when fully healthy can play the position at an above average level. QBR is just a measure of it, but Mayfield finished 10th in that stat last year.  Maybe the dude did get figured out, that's very possible. But, overall at least this team is playing competitive football outside the last month. The wheels have seem to fall off the bus for the rest of this season, but it's been a dang refreshing change of pace to A) be in the playoffs and B ) be actively a part of the playoff discussion with two weeks left. I mean this with sincerity that I don't think I can actively be a fan again of another decade of 2-4 win seasons. I'd much rather be "middle of the road" or the "Kirk Cousins special" and hope for a spark (a la the Titans formula) than the shit we saw for so long.

    This all leads me to the conclusion that there were MANY mitigating factors to Mayfield's (and thusly, the team) success this season, starting with a bum shoulder. I think it's worth it strongly to re-tool this offseason and see if Mayfield can bring back that 2020 play with Stefanski God willing getting his head out of his ass. That could easily result in 2022 showing us that Mayfield just got figured out. But watching the first two-ish weeks of the season, it's like watching a different QB. Based on what you see, do you agree with that sentiment or do you feel like it's time to hit the reset button?

    @jrb12711 said:

    Let me just ask you this simply, as I am indeed a simple man. First, it goes without saying I have serious concerns about Mayfield as the dude moving forward. Last week was beyond a turd, it was a shit sandwich. I didn't even watch the second half of last night candidly.

    But, the simple fact of the matter is the Browns are at least an average team with Mayfield, and he has shown that when fully healthy can play the position at an above average level. QBR is just a measure of it, but Mayfield finished 10th in that stat last year.  Maybe the dude did get figured out, that's very possible. But, overall at least this team is playing competitive football outside the last month. The wheels have seem to fall off the bus for the rest of this season, but it's been a dang refreshing change of pace to A) be in the playoffs and B ) be actively a part of the playoff discussion with two weeks left. I mean this with sincerity that I don't think I can actively be a fan again of another decade of 2-4 win seasons. I'd much rather be "middle of the road" or the "Kirk Cousins special" and hope for a spark (a la the Titans formula) than the shit we saw for so long.

    This all leads me to the conclusion that there were MANY mitigating factors to Mayfield's (and thusly, the team) success this season, starting with a bum shoulder. I think it's worth it strongly to re-tool this offseason and see if Mayfield can bring back that 2020 play with Stefanski God willing getting his head out of his ass. That could easily result in 2022 showing us that Mayfield just got figured out. But watching the first two-ish weeks of the season, it's like watching a different QB. Based on what you see, do you agree with that sentiment or do you feel like it's time to hit the reset button?

    The issue with that line of thinking is believing that the emergence of this Browns team has more to do with Baker than it does Chubb, the running game and Oline.  Too much credit has been given to Mayfield.  The man who has put Cleveland on his shoulders (legs) has been Chubb more often than not.   Toss in improved Oline play with favorable schedule (weaker defenses) and that has been the winning recipe since mid 2018.

    Browns fans have long contended that we'd be, at worst, a competitive team with average QB play, defense and a good supporting cast (running game)   You caught a glimpse of that with Hoyer. Baker isn't so important to this team that his play can't be duplicated.   And for all the talk about "last year", his last year stats were pretty pedestrian in the grand scheme of things.  

    I've mentioned this before, but Bakers stats from 2020 are similar down to a single percentile with Case Keenums'sfrom that 2017 season with the Vikings.  

    There is enough talent and stability on this roster that bringing in a QB that is even somewhat above average but NOT turnover prone means that this team can still be competitive.    

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Let me just ask you this simply, as I am indeed a simple man. First, it goes without saying I have serious concerns about Mayfield as the dude moving forward. Last week was beyond a turd, it was a shit sandwich. I didn't even watch the second half of last night candidly.

    But, the simple fact of the matter is the Browns are at least an average team with Mayfield, and he has shown that when fully healthy can play the position at an above average level. QBR is just a measure of it, but Mayfield finished 10th in that stat last year.  Maybe the dude did get figured out, that's very possible. But, overall at least this team is playing competitive football outside the last month. The wheels have seem to fall off the bus for the rest of this season, but it's been a dang refreshing change of pace to A) be in the playoffs and B ) be actively a part of the playoff discussion with two weeks left. I mean this with sincerity that I don't think I can actively be a fan again of another decade of 2-4 win seasons. I'd much rather be "middle of the road" or the "Kirk Cousins special" and hope for a spark (a la the Titans formula) than the shit we saw for so long.

    This all leads me to the conclusion that there were MANY mitigating factors to Mayfield's (and thusly, the team) success this season, starting with a bum shoulder. I think it's worth it strongly to re-tool this offseason and see if Mayfield can bring back that 2020 play with Stefanski God willing getting his head out of his ass. That could easily result in 2022 showing us that Mayfield just got figured out. But watching the first two-ish weeks of the season, it's like watching a different QB. Based on what you see, do you agree with that sentiment or do you feel like it's time to hit the reset button?

    The issue with that line of thinking is believing that the emergence of this Browns team has more to do with Baker than it does Chubb, the running game and Oline.  Too much credit has been given to Mayfield.  The man who has put Cleveland on his shoulders (legs) has been Chubb more often than not.   Toss in improved Oline play with favorable schedule (weaker defenses) and that has been the winning recipe since mid 2018.

    Browns fans have long contended that we'd be, at worst, a competitive team with average QB play, defense and a good supporting cast (running game)   You caught a glimpse of that with Hoyer. Baker isn't so important to this team that his play can't be duplicated.   And for all the talk about "last year", his last year stats were pretty pedestrian in the grand scheme of things.  

    I've mentioned this before, but Bakers stats from 2020 are similar down to a single percentile with Case Keenums'sfrom that 2017 season with the Vikings.  

    There is enough talent and stability on this roster that bringing in a QB that is even somewhat above average but NOT turnover prone means that this team can still be competitive.    

    @tiamat63 said:

    There is enough talent and stability on this roster that bringing in a QB that is even somewhat above average but NOT turnover prone means that this team can still be competitive.    

    So it's the turnovers? Interceptions?

    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-intercepted

    Don't know if this list is stated or not

    WSS

  • @tiamat63 said:

    There is enough talent and stability on this roster that bringing in a QB that is even somewhat above average but NOT turnover prone means that this team can still be competitive.    

    So it's the turnovers? Interceptions?

    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-intercepted

    Don't know if this list is stated or not

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So it's the turnovers? Interceptions?

    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-intercepted

    Don't know if this list is stated or not

    WSS

    I'm failing to see the point you're trying to make here.

  • @westside-steve said:

    So it's the turnovers? Interceptions?

    https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-intercepted

    Don't know if this list is stated or not

    WSS

    I'm failing to see the point you're trying to make here.

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'm failing to see the point you're trying to make here.

    Sorry to bother you.

    WSS

  • "YoU dOnT kNoW wHaT bAkErS fIrSt ReAd Is"

    "WrS aReNt GeTtInG oPeN"

    FIPkKdbXsAM8oLf.thumb.jpeg.d2155745d99a156920b085623d34d973.jpeg

    @tiamat63 said:

    "YoU dOnT kNoW wHaT bAkErS fIrSt ReAd Is"

    "WrS aReNt GeTtInG oPeN"

    FIPkKdbXsAM8oLf.thumb.jpeg.d2155745d99a156920b085623d34d973.jpeg

    Yeah, how many guys ARE open on that play?  Guess we'll just have to let the apologists believe whatever they want to....  

    BTW, and I duly noticed this too...  WKNR Goldhammer is a Steeler fan, and even he admitted...  "Is this a football game, or a six hour tribute to Big Ben??"