Skip to content

Playing for Pickett

The Browns Board
89 25 4.4k 1
  • Zombo said:

    If we win our last two, Cincy beats Ravens and loses to Chiefs, Chiefs beat Steelers and Rams beat Ravens .... we are Division Champs ?

    Z

    And if we lose our last two because of a height challenged int thrower, do you then change that opinion?

    And we have not even started talking about the inability to rid himself of the ball rather than taking sacks. He's one of the best QBs in the NFL at eating dirt with a football still in his hands. He gets one of these ? for that.

  • Zombo said:

    Maybe hosting a home playoff game will make your heart grow three times larger!

    Z

    And if they don't...

    The three words that best describe Mayfield are as follows, and I quote:

    2fb0520c7f08b8dd2f0f8d290fcd0216-grinch-

    This is a damn good team, a playoff team. We shouldn't even be talking shoulda, woulda, coulda. 

  • @mjp28 said:

    Whether you like him or hate him one thing is for sure....... you can't throw 4 INTs and expect to win those close must win games.

    CLE  22   GB  24    geeezzzzzus.

    2-14 on game winning or tying drives pretty much says it all. I'll let the stat geeks look up Baker's record when the bright lights are on in prime time, but I'll bet it sucks.  We would have never beaten the Steelers last year in the playoffs if they hadn't gift wrapped us a pile of turnovers. We hung on to win.   

    @hoorta said:

    2-14 on game winning or tying drives pretty much says it all. I'll let the stat geeks look up Baker's record when the bright lights are on in prime time, but I'll bet it sucks.  We would have never beaten the Steelers last year in the playoffs if they hadn't gift wrapped us a pile of turnovers. We hung on to win.   

    The 2-14 in game winning drive situations is ALARMING!!!!!

    I saw that yesterday and thought it was a misprint. But it’s not.

    It’s one thing to go down the field, in the first drive, with scripted plays and score. He’s good at that.

    It’s a completely different skill set to do it in a 2 minute setting, to win the game

  • You'd have to go back to 2013, when only 1 QB was drafted in the 1st round..

    Some think Pickett stays in Pittsburgh? projected to pick around #15?   

    #3 Houston/ Jets #4 & #9/ Giants #5 & #6/ Carolina #7/ WFT #10/  Denver #12

    Big Ney! (with a long, long way to go)

  • Interesting question regarding Pickett. Suppose he's there... the Browns could draft PIckett, let him sit in the last year of Baker starting under the current contract....then they decide.

    Apparently, the Browns need to draft a backup qb since they wouldn't put Keenum on the field. Or, Baker can't play next year because his surgery recovery takes too long - Pickett could start.

    It's a deep draft for wide receivers.

    Let's seem how would that look: lol.

    First Round - Pickett, qb.

    Second round - Jalen Tolbert, S. Alabama.

    Who knows. It's crazy.

  • Zombo said:

    Merry Christmas,  Larry, I figured I'd be hearing from you, quite a Christmas haul for you yesterday!

    It's been a rough season for the Browns, and particularly Baker, but sorry to tell you Mr. Grinch ... But I still believe!

    If we win our last two, Cincy beats Ravens and loses to Chiefs, Chiefs beat Steelers and Rams beat Ravens .... we are Division Champs ?

    Maybe hosting a home playoff game will make your heart grow three times larger!

    Z

    As long as we're not mathematically eliminated, we still have a chance Z... But it's getting to the level of when pigs fly. If you want to get to the Super Bowl, you have to beat some other teams with Super Bowl aspirations. The only teams we've beaten with winning records are the Bengals and Ravens... That sucks.  

    Zombo said:

    I think you are nuts for thinking we will lose the last two. If we get guys back and practicing all week, we can win those two games.

    Z

    Sure, we could win the last two. But not if Baker continues to play like crap. BTW, checking his career stats, he's rapidly sinking down to the mediocre level. Tia has posted plenty of play breakdowns, and I'm starting to worry opposing defensive coordinators have figured Baker out. This season he's posted four games with a qbr less than 60.  We picked up his 5th year option, so he's going to be here next year, how he plays in the last two games will tell me if we're going to go quarterback shopping. Playing like he did against the Packers isn't going to get it done.  

    At least salvaging a winning record in this covid messed up season would be an admirable accomplishment.  Too many winnable games that we lost... The great teams find ways to win, we've found more creative ways to lose games we should have won. Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers, Ravens, Raiders, and now the Packers. 

  • If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

  • If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

    @mld-woody said:

    If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

    I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

    I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

  • If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

    @mld-woody said:

    If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

    An out of trouble Deshaun Watson should  be the Browns first choice

  • @mld-woody said:

    If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

    I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

    I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

    I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

    If there are serious doubts then start looking NOW

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

    I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

    If there are serious doubts then start looking NOW

    @browns149 said:

    If there are serious doubts then start looking NOW

    I don't see a realistic scenario of an upgrade available. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

    I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

    I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

    Zombo said:

    I think you are nuts for thinking we will lose the last two. If we get guys back and practicing all week, we can win those two games.

    Z

    Being able to win those games on paper and winning them in practice are two different things. Yes, we have the talent to win those final two games, but if it comes to to putting our chances of winning on Baker, then I'm not confident at all, based on Baker's body of work.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I fully expect Baker to be the starting QB next season.

    I have huge doubts about his future with the Browns after that. 

    I mentioned in another thread that I believe the Browns' best course of action is to draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round in the upcoming draft and let him sit and learn the system during the final year on Baker's contract. If Baker pans out and gets an extension, then we'd have a probable solid back-up on the team behind him that would cost less than an veteran back-up. And if Baker doesn't work out and the Browns cut him after next year, then we have a young QB who already has a year in the Browns system there to replace him.

  • @browns149 said:

    If there are serious doubts then start looking NOW

    I don't see a realistic scenario of an upgrade available. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I don't see a realistic scenario of an upgrade available. 

    I agree that there isn't many blue chip locks in the QB class this upcoming year as there has been in years past, but I still think would could find value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year that could work out after a year of practicing studying on the bench.

  • @mld-woody said:

    If we're doing anything we're trading for a proven commodity

    An out of trouble Deshaun Watson should  be the Browns first choice

    @browns149 said:

    An out of trouble Deshaun Watson should  be the Browns first choice

    No thanks.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I don't see a realistic scenario of an upgrade available. 

    I agree that there isn't many blue chip locks in the QB class this upcoming year as there has been in years past, but I still think would could find value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year that could work out after a year of practicing studying on the bench.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    I agree that there isn't many blue chip locks in the QB class this upcoming year as there has been in years past, but I still think would could find value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year that could work out after a year of practicing studying on the bench.

    THIS scenario wouldn't shock me, I could see this happening.

    What I meant was I don't see Mayfield replaced this offseason with someone who is the 2022 starter. The Browns drafting Baker's possible replacement down the road in the 2nd or 3rd round? I could see this. 

  • @browns149 said:

    An out of trouble Deshaun Watson should  be the Browns first choice

    No thanks.

    @canton-dawg said:

    No thanks.

    A legal Deshaun Watson is 10 times better then Baker Mayfield. It isn’t even close

    Watson is younger, already has a contract, and is a PRO BOWL QB. He has Baker beat on EVERY FRONT

  • @jbluhm86 said:

    I agree that there isn't many blue chip locks in the QB class this upcoming year as there has been in years past, but I still think would could find value in the 2nd or 3rd rounds this year that could work out after a year of practicing studying on the bench.

    THIS scenario wouldn't shock me, I could see this happening.

    What I meant was I don't see Mayfield replaced this offseason with someone who is the 2022 starter. The Browns drafting Baker's possible replacement down the road in the 2nd or 3rd round? I could see this. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    THIS scenario wouldn't shock me, I could see this happening.

    What I meant was I don't see Mayfield replaced this offseason with someone who is the 2022 starter. The Browns drafting Baker's possible replacement down the road in the 2nd or 3rd round? I could see this. 

    That’s not how you win in the 2022 season

    People keep saying, we need to win now, the window is open NOW

    A drafted QB sitting behind Baker sure as heck isn’t going to do ANYTHING 

    And watching Baker muddle along through another season while we waste this “so called window”, will be just like this year

    9-8 or 8-9 or maybe if we catch a break 11-6

    If Deshaun Watson is available, GET IT DONE!!!!!!

  • no freaking way. I'd rather the Browns trade up and draft Pickett. The cost would be less, even just considering draft picks.

    Dumping on Baker does not fix the wr problem.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    No thanks.

    A legal Deshaun Watson is 10 times better then Baker Mayfield. It isn’t even close

    Watson is younger, already has a contract, and is a PRO BOWL QB. He has Baker beat on EVERY FRONT

    @browns149 said:

    A legal Deshaun Watson is 10 times better then Baker Mayfield. It isn’t even close

    Watson is younger, already has a contract, and is a PRO BOWL QB. He has Baker beat on EVERY FRONT

    Ya except for the fact that he's been accused AND admitted too 20 different sexual misconduct acts with 20 different women... 

     You dumping 3 first rounders and a few starters for that guy? That's playing with fire. I doubt Berry takes the risk.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    THIS scenario wouldn't shock me, I could see this happening.

    What I meant was I don't see Mayfield replaced this offseason with someone who is the 2022 starter. The Browns drafting Baker's possible replacement down the road in the 2nd or 3rd round? I could see this. 

    That’s not how you win in the 2022 season

    People keep saying, we need to win now, the window is open NOW

    A drafted QB sitting behind Baker sure as heck isn’t going to do ANYTHING 

    And watching Baker muddle along through another season while we waste this “so called window”, will be just like this year

    9-8 or 8-9 or maybe if we catch a break 11-6

    If Deshaun Watson is available, GET IT DONE!!!!!!

    @browns149 said:

    That’s not how you win in the 2022 season

    People keep saying, we need to win now, the window is open NOW

    A drafted QB sitting behind Baker sure as heck isn’t going to do ANYTHING 

    And watching Baker muddle along through another season while we waste this “so called window”, will be just like this year

    9-8 or 8-9 or maybe if we catch a break 11-6

    If Deshaun Watson is available, GET IT DONE!!!!!

    I'm just being realistic.

    Your scenario is what YOU want the Browns to do.

    My scenario is what I think the Browns will do. 

    I don't see Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson coming to Cleveland, and I don't see the Browns giving up the world (possibly) for a PR nightmare like Watson. 

    I can see, though, the scenario presented by jbluhm where - on Baker's 5th year contract - the Browns draft a younger guy to groom to replace him with. I can see the Browns coaching staff and front office thinking "We believe in this offensive system. You don't need a superstar to run it. You don't need a guy you have to pay $30-40 mill a year. Find us a guy in the draft who is smart and can go through progressions better than Baker."