Skip to content

You're the GM...

The Browns Board
165 33 6.8k 1
  • let's see....

    the Chargers have...

    Mike Williams, 6'4", 218 lbs, first round pick - 7th overall.

    Keenan Allen, 6'2", 211, 3rd Round.

    Why the Browns' offensive line was Baker Mayfield's ...

    When a quarterback has a disastrous game, the fault formula for that disaster is generally part quarterback, part receivers, and part offensive line. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no horrible outing is usually one person's fault. In the case of Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns ...
  • Why are folks writing off Conklin???- he’s not dead!!!  He’s 27.

    Jimmy Graham suffered one early in his career and was back kicking butt in 10 months. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Why are folks writing off Conklin???- he’s not dead!!!  He’s 27.

    Jimmy Graham suffered one early in his career and was back kicking butt in 10 months. 

    Jimmy Graham isn't 6'6 326 pounds and isn't pushing against one or two guys that weight over 300 pounds each. I get that Graham runs and blocks too but it's not his primary job.

  • let's see....

    the Chargers have...

    Mike Williams, 6'4", 218 lbs, first round pick - 7th overall.

    Keenan Allen, 6'2", 211, 3rd Round.

    Why the Browns' offensive line was Baker Mayfield's ...

    When a quarterback has a disastrous game, the fault formula for that disaster is generally part quarterback, part receivers, and part offensive line. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no horrible outing is usually one person's fault. In the case of Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns ...

    @calfoxwc said:

    let's see....

    the Chargers have...

    Mike Williams, 6'4", 218 lbs, first round pick - 7th overall.

    Keenan Allen, 6'2", 211, 3rd Round.

    Why the Browns' offensive line was Baker Mayfield's ...

    When a quarterback has a disastrous game, the fault formula for that disaster is generally part quarterback, part receivers, and part offensive line. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no horrible outing is usually one person's fault. In the case of Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns ...

    I even glanced at your article... So the o-line was the problem? Then why weren't they keeping a TE over on Hudson's side to help out on Watt? It was obvious he was no match for TJ.  Or maybe Baker needed 10 seconds back there to scratch his butt waiting for guys to break open? Sorry Cal, some of those NINE sacks were ALL on Mayfield- he had time to throw the ball into the seats.  Including one where he had a full four seconds before he got decked... That's piss poor.  

    Just can't get off that top first round receiver kick huh?  And we have David Njoku 6'4" first round pick, Donovan Peoples Jones 6'2". . Just please stop.  FWIW, one of those TD passes Herbert threw had the size of a mail slot 30 yards away.  It wouldn't have mattered how tall or not the receiver was- all he had to do was catch the damn ball.  That's the point- that you continually ignore. Accuracy counts- and Baker didn't have it, with few exceptions post injury. Especially in the Steelers game where he couldn't so much as flip a 10 yard screen pass to Chubb.   

    EDIT: Look- the quarterback is the engine that drives the train, not the other way around with stud wide receivers. In all likelihood, all things being equal, the Browns wouldn't be sitting at home thinking about "what ifs" now should I put Justin Herbert at the controls of Cleveland's offense.  OTOH, you could have put Jerry Rice in his prime on the Browns this year- it probably wouldn't have made a lick of difference, not with Baker throwing the ball  ten feet over his head.    

  • @flugel said:

    If Baker comes back healthy in 2022 and looks like he did after the injury this year - I will agree it's time to move in another direction.  

    As for your Cincy barometer, Baker has beaten Cincy 35-30 + 37-34 + 41-16 while you are more impressed with the Browns beating Cincy' s backups 21-16.  Got it Larry!

    Anyway, a guy that can throw 26 TD passes to just 8 INTs in a season the Browns won 11 regular season games plus a 48-37 post season victory AT Pitt doesn't strike me as gotta give up on this guy as soon as possible.

    Baker threw for a rookie QB record 27 TD passes to 14 INTs with only 13 starts and 1 relief effort. Not bad for a guy that was drafted by an 0-16 football team that began 0-1-1 in his rookie year plus erasing 14 point deficit to the Jets leading the Browns to a W his 1st appearance.  A team that had a 2 years stretch of 1-31 football was now 7-8-1 showing promise. Just 2 years after that, they became 11-5 with a 48-37 playoff victory over Pittsburgh.

    I saw some promise that made me far more reluctant to give up on him than you. 

    Um, I'm not totally giving up on Baker, apparently Andrew Berry hasn't. Let's hope we see the "good " Baker next season. Just pointing out there's ample reason for concern. LOL, far too many posters here want to blame his overall horrendous 2021 performance on him being injured, and at the same time not playing the injury card. (That includes  Stefanski and Berry) Mayfield's showing in the second Steelers game almost made me want to barf. In his last six games, he had four qbrs under 60. Nah, Keenum couldn't possibly have done any better. I say bullshit to that.

    So from my POV, count me as being seriously pissed off that the Browns flushed the 2021 season down the toilet by adamantly continuing to trot out a lame horse when it was obvious to even a casual observer his accuracy was shot. Watch the Raiders- Chargers game?  That Herbert feller was pretty accurate and clutch. Reminds me in Baker's career, he's Mr. Anti-clutch. I believe it's something like 2-14 with the game on the line. 

    @hoorta said:

    Um, I'm not totally giving up on Baker, apparently Andrew Berry hasn't.

    How do you know that Berry hasn't given up on Baker?  Based on his press conference?   He certainly wouldn't be able to say anything about replacing Baker in front of a camera and microphone.  That would make things a HUGE mess.  It would drive up the trade value of any veteran QB Berry might inquire about.  It would devalue Baker more than he already is.  And if Berry wasn't able to do anything at QB it would make Baker being the starter again next year ANOTHER mess.  The fact is, we don't know what's going on in their minds and behind closed doors.  

  • @hoorta said:

    Um, I'm not totally giving up on Baker, apparently Andrew Berry hasn't.

    How do you know that Berry hasn't given up on Baker?  Based on his press conference?   He certainly wouldn't be able to say anything about replacing Baker in front of a camera and microphone.  That would make things a HUGE mess.  It would drive up the trade value of any veteran QB Berry might inquire about.  It would devalue Baker more than he already is.  And if Berry wasn't able to do anything at QB it would make Baker being the starter again next year ANOTHER mess.  The fact is, we don't know what's going on in their minds and behind closed doors.  

    @orion said:

    How do you know that Berry hasn't given up on Baker?  Based on his press conference?   He certainly wouldn't be able to say anything about replacing Baker in front of a camera and microphone.  That would make things a HUGE mess.  It would drive up the trade value of any veteran QB Berry might inquire about.  It would devalue Baker more than he already is.  And if Berry wasn't able to do anything at QB it would make Baker being the starter again next year ANOTHER mess.  The fact is, we don't know what's going on in their minds and behind closed doors.  

    OK, I'll buy your point Orion.  But some of the stuff going on here about trading Baker for XXX is crackhead talk.  I know- and I hope you do too- Baker is damaged goods, and isn't worth a sack of seeds right now in trade value.   

  • N Neo

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Why are folks writing off Conklin???- he’s not dead!!!  He’s 27.

    Jimmy Graham suffered one early in his career and was back kicking butt in 10 months. 

    Jimmy Graham isn't 6'6 326 pounds and isn't pushing against one or two guys that weight over 300 pounds each. I get that Graham runs and blocks too but it's not his primary job.

    @neo said:

    Jimmy Graham isn't 6'6 326 pounds and isn't pushing against one or two guys that weight over 300 pounds each. I get that Graham runs and blocks too but it's not his primary job.

    But Jimmy Graham needed to get separation on coverage and occasionally block some of the best athletes (DE) pound for pound on the field.

  • let's see....

    the Chargers have...

    Mike Williams, 6'4", 218 lbs, first round pick - 7th overall.

    Keenan Allen, 6'2", 211, 3rd Round.

    Why the Browns' offensive line was Baker Mayfield's ...

    When a quarterback has a disastrous game, the fault formula for that disaster is generally part quarterback, part receivers, and part offensive line. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no horrible outing is usually one person's fault. In the case of Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns ...

    @calfoxwc said:

    let's see....

    the Chargers have...

    Mike Williams, 6'4", 218 lbs, first round pick - 7th overall.

    Keenan Allen, 6'2", 211, 3rd Round.

    Why the Browns' offensive line was Baker Mayfield's ...

    When a quarterback has a disastrous game, the fault formula for that disaster is generally part quarterback, part receivers, and part offensive line. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no horrible outing is usually one person's fault. In the case of Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns ...

    Let’s just draft another offensive lineman in the first round and make another lineman the highest paid at his position….that should fix Bakers problems

  • @orion said:

    How do you know that Berry hasn't given up on Baker?  Based on his press conference?   He certainly wouldn't be able to say anything about replacing Baker in front of a camera and microphone.  That would make things a HUGE mess.  It would drive up the trade value of any veteran QB Berry might inquire about.  It would devalue Baker more than he already is.  And if Berry wasn't able to do anything at QB it would make Baker being the starter again next year ANOTHER mess.  The fact is, we don't know what's going on in their minds and behind closed doors.  

    OK, I'll buy your point Orion.  But some of the stuff going on here about trading Baker for XXX is crackhead talk.  I know- and I hope you do too- Baker is damaged goods, and isn't worth a sack of seeds right now in trade value.   

    @hoorta said:

    I know- and I hope you do too-

    I do.

    ...and I don't think Trubisky or Mariotta is much of an upgrade if any over Baker.  I also don't think we'll draft a starting QB for 2022 either.  Nor do I think the odds are very high that we will trade for Garapppolllo, Carr or Wilson.  So I'm hoping that Baker heals up well, matures 10 years and grows 3 inches so he won't throw the ball over receiver's heads.  ( I personally believe that Baker misses high sometimes because he's trying to throw over the linemen while throwing it hard in order to get the ball to the receiver quickly )

    I DO think that Baker does a nice job on the commercials and that he might actually have a shot at an acting gig after football.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    let's see....

    the Chargers have...

    Mike Williams, 6'4", 218 lbs, first round pick - 7th overall.

    Keenan Allen, 6'2", 211, 3rd Round.

    Why the Browns' offensive line was Baker Mayfield's ...

    When a quarterback has a disastrous game, the fault formula for that disaster is generally part quarterback, part receivers, and part offensive line. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no horrible outing is usually one person's fault. In the case of Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns ...

    Let’s just draft another offensive lineman in the first round and make another lineman the highest paid at his position….that should fix Bakers problems

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Let’s just draft another offensive lineman in the first round and make another lineman the highest paid at his position….that should fix Bakers problems

    LOL. No, no, no. The guy I drafted - all 345 lbs of him - should learn behind Conklin for a year, or until he gets hurt again maybe.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    let's see....

    the Chargers have...

    Mike Williams, 6'4", 218 lbs, first round pick - 7th overall.

    Keenan Allen, 6'2", 211, 3rd Round.

    Why the Browns' offensive line was Baker Mayfield's ...

    When a quarterback has a disastrous game, the fault formula for that disaster is generally part quarterback, part receivers, and part offensive line. Football is the ultimate team sport, and no horrible outing is usually one person's fault. In the case of Baker Mayfield and the Cleveland Browns ...

    Let’s just draft another offensive lineman in the first round and make another lineman the highest paid at his position….that should fix Bakers problems

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Let’s just draft another offensive lineman in the first round and make another lineman the highest paid at his position….that should fix Bakers problems

    Don't remember where I saw it- but one commentator had a thing he called "The Dalton Scale"... Let's put Dandy Andy somewhere around 15th or so of NFL starting quarterbacks.  If you have someone better... You have your Franchise Quarterback.  Lower? Maybe you should start looking for a replacement.   

    Well, in their final ranking of NFL QBs- they had Baker at #24 (don't think I would even have had him rated that high).   Here's what they had to say about Baker...

    "I'm tired of trying to tease out the impact of Mayfield's shoulder injury on his 2021 play, which took a gigantic step back. He was medically cleared to play each week. Quarterbacks play through injuries often and are evaluated with that in mind. Some excel. Some manage the injury enough to be average. Mayfield, a little better than average when healthy, became a liability. I worry that Baker doesn't have any major plus traits to compensate when his surroundings or his body aren't 100 percent. His biggest shortcomings -- holding the ball too long, converting pressure into sacks and not seeing the field -- have remained consistent throughout his career."

    Ya know- I 100% agree with that evaluation, & worry about the BOLD too...  Here's the entire article for your reading enjoyment, I have little I'd argue about...   https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-end-of-2021-nfl-season-rankings

  • GM Andrew Berry - Cleveland Browns 'fully expect' Baker ...

    Browns general manager Andrew Berry said Tuesday that the team expects Baker Mayfield to return as the starting QB next season and rebound after an injury-filled, subpar 2021 season.

    Keep Baker Mayfield as the QB for a full fifth year: The ...

    Keep Baker Mayfield as the QB for a full fifth year: The Mayfield Matrix Jameis Winston Option. CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns have said they are committed to Baker Mayfield as their quarterback ...
    ****************************************************************
    The Browns went to the playoffs last year with Baker Mayfield.
     
    difference? no obj to take the heat off Landry.
     
    and Andrew Berry decides - he knows a ton about football. I support his decisions - he's been brilliant in making them in the draft.
     
  • I really like Baker. I think he could be a top 10 QB... in another system. With this being a poor QB class I think we could start a bidding war for him and net multiple 1st round picks.

    With those picks we have options. (Warning you're going to hate the last one but hear me out)

    1. If Aaron Rodgers does become available we would have to be the favorite to land him. Our OC was close with him, we would have the trade ammo, and the cap space to bring him and Adam's in.

    2. A potential Russell Wilson or Carr trade.

    3. We use the draft picks and sign Bridgewater. Bridgewater might not put up big numbers but he's won in this system. He's a system QB but that's what Stephanski seems to want. We improve the overall talent on the team for 5 years and we get comparable production to Baker. We obviously would need to be on the search for an upgrade but I think we could still be contenders even with Bridgewater at QB.

  • I really like Baker. I think he could be a top 10 QB... in another system. With this being a poor QB class I think we could start a bidding war for him and net multiple 1st round picks.

    With those picks we have options. (Warning you're going to hate the last one but hear me out)

    1. If Aaron Rodgers does become available we would have to be the favorite to land him. Our OC was close with him, we would have the trade ammo, and the cap space to bring him and Adam's in.

    2. A potential Russell Wilson or Carr trade.

    3. We use the draft picks and sign Bridgewater. Bridgewater might not put up big numbers but he's won in this system. He's a system QB but that's what Stephanski seems to want. We improve the overall talent on the team for 5 years and we get comparable production to Baker. We obviously would need to be on the search for an upgrade but I think we could still be contenders even with Bridgewater at QB.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I really like Baker. I think he could be a top 10 QB... in another system. With this being a poor QB class I think we could start a bidding war for him and net multiple 1st round picks.

    With those picks we have options. (Warning you're going to hate the last one but hear me out)

    1. If Aaron Rodgers does become available we would have to be the favorite to land him. Our OC was close with him, we would have the trade ammo, and the cap space to bring him and Adam's in.

    2. A potential Russell Wilson or Carr trade.

    3. We use the draft picks and sign Bridgewater. Bridgewater might not put up big numbers but he's won in this system. He's a system QB but that's what Stephanski seems to want. We improve the overall talent on the team for 5 years and we get comparable production to Baker. We obviously would need to be on the search for an upgrade but I think we could still be contenders even with Bridgewater at QB.

    RE: the BOLD... You're dreaming.... 

    1) Even when 100% healthy, there's some serious debate if Baker is a "top 10" QB.

    2) As of now, Mayfield is damaged goods,  buyer beware. We'd be lucky to get a second round pick for him.   

    3) Teddy B? Oh please...   A) He's not an upgrade over Baker..  B) He's fragile, only played one complete season to date.. C) According to Spotrac, he's also an unrestricted free agent this year.  Now if you want to tell me bring him in as a very expensive backup to Mayfield, I'll think about that one.  

  • If Baker was in this draft he would easily be the top QB right? He's had 2 good years and 2 bad years. His bad years came under Kitchens and that while debacle. Then this year when he had a blown out shoulder. The only reason I'm considering trading him is because I don't think Stephanski can get the best out of him. You might as well let him find his guy and cash out on a desperate team with no options

    Bridgewater is no where near as good as Baker, but he knows the offense and he's better than Keenum. He would be a bridge while Stephanski finds his guy but keeps us competitive and would be cheap

  • If Baker was in this draft he would easily be the top QB right? He's had 2 good years and 2 bad years. His bad years came under Kitchens and that while debacle. Then this year when he had a blown out shoulder. The only reason I'm considering trading him is because I don't think Stephanski can get the best out of him. You might as well let him find his guy and cash out on a desperate team with no options

    Bridgewater is no where near as good as Baker, but he knows the offense and he's better than Keenum. He would be a bridge while Stephanski finds his guy but keeps us competitive and would be cheap

    @louisville-slugger said:

    Bridgewater is no where near 

    forever known as Twatwater.. from his draft days  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10926184/teddy-bridgewater-says-want-play-cleveland-browns

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Let’s just draft another offensive lineman in the first round and make another lineman the highest paid at his position….that should fix Bakers problems

    Don't remember where I saw it- but one commentator had a thing he called "The Dalton Scale"... Let's put Dandy Andy somewhere around 15th or so of NFL starting quarterbacks.  If you have someone better... You have your Franchise Quarterback.  Lower? Maybe you should start looking for a replacement.   

    Well, in their final ranking of NFL QBs- they had Baker at #24 (don't think I would even have had him rated that high).   Here's what they had to say about Baker...

    "I'm tired of trying to tease out the impact of Mayfield's shoulder injury on his 2021 play, which took a gigantic step back. He was medically cleared to play each week. Quarterbacks play through injuries often and are evaluated with that in mind. Some excel. Some manage the injury enough to be average. Mayfield, a little better than average when healthy, became a liability. I worry that Baker doesn't have any major plus traits to compensate when his surroundings or his body aren't 100 percent. His biggest shortcomings -- holding the ball too long, converting pressure into sacks and not seeing the field -- have remained consistent throughout his career."

    Ya know- I 100% agree with that evaluation, & worry about the BOLD too...  Here's the entire article for your reading enjoyment, I have little I'd argue about...   https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-end-of-2021-nfl-season-rankings

    @hoorta said:

    Don't remember where I saw it- but one commentator had a thing he called "The Dalton Scale"... Let's put Dandy Andy somewhere around 15th or so of NFL starting quarterbacks.  If you have someone better... You have your Franchise Quarterback.  Lower? Maybe you should start looking for a replacement.   

    Well, in their final ranking of NFL QBs- they had Baker at #24 (don't think I would even have had him rated that high).   Here's what they had to say about Baker...

    "I'm tired of trying to tease out the impact of Mayfield's shoulder injury on his 2021 play, which took a gigantic step back. He was medically cleared to play each week. Quarterbacks play through injuries often and are evaluated with that in mind. Some excel. Some manage the injury enough to be average. Mayfield, a little better than average when healthy, became a liability. I worry that Baker doesn't have any major plus traits to compensate when his surroundings or his body aren't 100 percent. His biggest shortcomings -- holding the ball too long, converting pressure into sacks and not seeing the field -- have remained consistent throughout his career."

    Ya know- I 100% agree with that evaluation, & worry about the BOLD too...  Here's the entire article for your reading enjoyment, I have little I'd argue about...   https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-end-of-2021-nfl-season-rankings

    Hoorta you keep describing this season from Baker like it's been the rule instead of the exception to it.  Again, 26 TD passes to just 8 INTs with an 11-5 record and 48-37 playoff victory AT Pittsburgh was only 1 season ago.  The next week at KC, the Browns were a Higgins' fumble for a touchback away from game winning points very late in the contest. Baker hit Higgins in stride with YAC; but the play ended in YUCK.  How much differently would people be thinking about Baker if Higgins didn't fumble that away?  If you didn't see the 2020 version of Baker as WAY better than the guy we saw this past year - it's because you didn't want to.  No reason we can't see the same QB we saw here in 2020 or better.

    Being medically cleared to play each week was heavily influenced by the FO at the end of every practice week summarizing "Baker wasn't in any pain and he looked fine."  Should there be any pain after practices didn't allow defenders to hit the QB all week?  On game days, he's frequently getting hit and planted enough to bring back the pain, discomfort and pocket antsy.  That'll distract the progression reads in a hurry.  Adding insult to injury, James Hudson III looked like a mannequin trying to pass protect against TJ Watt.  That got so ugly one of the commentators finally said "Cleveland you might want to start giving Hudson some help here."  Ya think?  

  • If Baker was in this draft he would easily be the top QB right? He's had 2 good years and 2 bad years. His bad years came under Kitchens and that while debacle. Then this year when he had a blown out shoulder. The only reason I'm considering trading him is because I don't think Stephanski can get the best out of him. You might as well let him find his guy and cash out on a desperate team with no options

    Bridgewater is no where near as good as Baker, but he knows the offense and he's better than Keenum. He would be a bridge while Stephanski finds his guy but keeps us competitive and would be cheap

    @louisville-slugger said:

    If Baker was in this draft he would easily be the top QB right? He's had 2 good years and 2 bad years. His bad years came under Kitchens and that while debacle. Then this year when he had a blown out shoulder. The only reason I'm considering trading him is because I don't think Stephanski can get the best out of him. You might as well let him find his guy and cash out on a desperate team with no options

    Bridgewater is no where near as good as Baker, but he knows the offense and he's better than Keenum. He would be a bridge while Stephanski finds his guy but keeps us competitive and would be cheap

    The bold is plain crazy... So let's downgrade from Baker... Glad you're not the Browns GM.   

    I'll just point this out to you about your dream of multiple picks for Baker.... And with his bum shoulder... No way in hell would he be the top QB... He wouldn't be able to throw at the combine.  

    An accurate comparison would be what the Eagles got for Carson Wentz trading him to the Colts... A second, that turned into a first based on playing time....  

  • @hoorta said:

    Don't remember where I saw it- but one commentator had a thing he called "The Dalton Scale"... Let's put Dandy Andy somewhere around 15th or so of NFL starting quarterbacks.  If you have someone better... You have your Franchise Quarterback.  Lower? Maybe you should start looking for a replacement.   

    Well, in their final ranking of NFL QBs- they had Baker at #24 (don't think I would even have had him rated that high).   Here's what they had to say about Baker...

    "I'm tired of trying to tease out the impact of Mayfield's shoulder injury on his 2021 play, which took a gigantic step back. He was medically cleared to play each week. Quarterbacks play through injuries often and are evaluated with that in mind. Some excel. Some manage the injury enough to be average. Mayfield, a little better than average when healthy, became a liability. I worry that Baker doesn't have any major plus traits to compensate when his surroundings or his body aren't 100 percent. His biggest shortcomings -- holding the ball too long, converting pressure into sacks and not seeing the field -- have remained consistent throughout his career."

    Ya know- I 100% agree with that evaluation, & worry about the BOLD too...  Here's the entire article for your reading enjoyment, I have little I'd argue about...   https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-end-of-2021-nfl-season-rankings

    Hoorta you keep describing this season from Baker like it's been the rule instead of the exception to it.  Again, 26 TD passes to just 8 INTs with an 11-5 record and 48-37 playoff victory AT Pittsburgh was only 1 season ago.  The next week at KC, the Browns were a Higgins' fumble for a touchback away from game winning points very late in the contest. Baker hit Higgins in stride with YAC; but the play ended in YUCK.  How much differently would people be thinking about Baker if Higgins didn't fumble that away?  If you didn't see the 2020 version of Baker as WAY better than the guy we saw this past year - it's because you didn't want to.  No reason we can't see the same QB we saw here in 2020 or better.

    Being medically cleared to play each week was heavily influenced by the FO at the end of every practice week summarizing "Baker wasn't in any pain and he looked fine."  Should there be any pain after practices didn't allow defenders to hit the QB all week?  On game days, he's frequently getting hit and planted enough to bring back the pain, discomfort and pocket antsy.  That'll distract the progression reads in a hurry.  Adding insult to injury, James Hudson III looked like a mannequin trying to pass protect against TJ Watt.  That got so ugly one of the commentators finally said "Cleveland you might want to start giving Hudson some help here."  Ya think?  

    @flugel said:

    Hoorta you keep describing this season from Baker like it's been the rule instead of the exception to it.  Again, 26 TD passes to just 8 INTs with an 11-5 record and 48-37 playoff victory AT Pittsburgh was only 1 season ago.  The next week at KC, the Browns were a Higgins' fumble for a touchback away from game winning points very late in the contest. Baker hit Higgins in stride with YAC; but the play ended in YUCK.  How much differently would people be thinking about Baker if Higgins didn't fumble that away?  If you didn't see the 2020 version of Baker as WAY better than the guy we saw this past year - it's because you didn't want to.  No reason we can't see the same QB we saw here in 2020 or better.

    Being medically cleared to play each week was heavily influenced by the FO at the end of every practice week summarizing "Baker wasn't in any pain and he looked fine."  Should there be any pain after practices didn't allow defenders to hit the QB all week?  On game days, he's frequently getting hit and planted enough to bring back the pain, discomfort and pocket antsy.  That'll distract the progression reads in a hurry.  Adding insult to injury, James Hudson III looked like a mannequin trying to pass protect against TJ Watt.  That got so ugly one of the commentators finally said "Cleveland you might want to start giving Hudson some help here."  Ya think?  

    Regarding beating the Steelers in the playoff game... We were up 7-0 after about 20 seconds, and how many turnovers did we get? We hung on to win....   

    BTW, What if that magical 2020 season IS the outlier? Remember that Derek Anderson guy? Or Tim Couch after defective o line play turned him into a pinata? Shoulder aside, Baker took quite the beating, um because (see below) he holds on to the ball far too long in a lot of cases. I can't count the number of times this year I was screaming... THROW IT AWAY!!! Tia has posted plenty of  screen shots where Baker didn't see guys who were wide open, and he threw into double coverage instead. Can't use the injury excuse on that stuff. 

    What part of my post did you miss Tom?   I fear Baker has been "figured out".  Sure the injury was responsible for his lousy play.  FWIW, I totally agree that the below is an extremely accurate description of stuff Baker needs to improve on. But can he? 

     I worry that Baker doesn't have any major plus traits to compensate when his surroundings or his body aren't 100 percent. His biggest shortcomings -- holding the ball too long, converting pressure into sacks and not seeing the field -- have remained consistent throughout his career."

  • Of course who knows because I don't think many of us spend much time watching replays of other teams games but I would bet there's a screenshot of every play of every team that doesn't get the desired yardage showing an open receiver somewhere. Or at least most. That would be a pretty common thing whenever a timing pattern is called. Once the ball is released Defenders are going to be traveling towards the intended destination so somebody is going to be out there.

    WSS 

  • @flugel said:

    Hoorta you keep describing this season from Baker like it's been the rule instead of the exception to it.  Again, 26 TD passes to just 8 INTs with an 11-5 record and 48-37 playoff victory AT Pittsburgh was only 1 season ago.  The next week at KC, the Browns were a Higgins' fumble for a touchback away from game winning points very late in the contest. Baker hit Higgins in stride with YAC; but the play ended in YUCK.  How much differently would people be thinking about Baker if Higgins didn't fumble that away?  If you didn't see the 2020 version of Baker as WAY better than the guy we saw this past year - it's because you didn't want to.  No reason we can't see the same QB we saw here in 2020 or better.

    Being medically cleared to play each week was heavily influenced by the FO at the end of every practice week summarizing "Baker wasn't in any pain and he looked fine."  Should there be any pain after practices didn't allow defenders to hit the QB all week?  On game days, he's frequently getting hit and planted enough to bring back the pain, discomfort and pocket antsy.  That'll distract the progression reads in a hurry.  Adding insult to injury, James Hudson III looked like a mannequin trying to pass protect against TJ Watt.  That got so ugly one of the commentators finally said "Cleveland you might want to start giving Hudson some help here."  Ya think?  

    Regarding beating the Steelers in the playoff game... We were up 7-0 after about 20 seconds, and how many turnovers did we get? We hung on to win....   

    BTW, What if that magical 2020 season IS the outlier? Remember that Derek Anderson guy? Or Tim Couch after defective o line play turned him into a pinata? Shoulder aside, Baker took quite the beating, um because (see below) he holds on to the ball far too long in a lot of cases. I can't count the number of times this year I was screaming... THROW IT AWAY!!! Tia has posted plenty of  screen shots where Baker didn't see guys who were wide open, and he threw into double coverage instead. Can't use the injury excuse on that stuff. 

    What part of my post did you miss Tom?   I fear Baker has been "figured out".  Sure the injury was responsible for his lousy play.  FWIW, I totally agree that the below is an extremely accurate description of stuff Baker needs to improve on. But can he? 

     I worry that Baker doesn't have any major plus traits to compensate when his surroundings or his body aren't 100 percent. His biggest shortcomings -- holding the ball too long, converting pressure into sacks and not seeing the field -- have remained consistent throughout his career."

    @hoorta said:

     I worry that Baker doesn't have any major plus traits to compensate when his surroundings or his body aren't 100 percent. His biggest shortcomings -- holding the ball too long, converting pressure into sacks and not seeing the field -- have remained consistent throughout his career."

    As Rex Ryan said recently: "Being short and having average athleticism is not a recipe for success in today's NFL". When added with the other problems - holding onto the ball too long, not seeing the field well, you have a starting QB who is limited. 

    That being said, I still think Mayfield can come back next season and be a second level-type starting QB. A guy who sits somewhere in the second level of QBs, #11-20. Good enough to start for someone for years, and when can help your team into the playoffs. I've made the Baker comparison for a while now - Andy Dalton. This infuriates the Baker Boys, because Dalton didn't win any playoff games, and as the Baker Boys will remind you, Baker beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh in the playoffs. (So did Blake Bortles, and so did Tim Tebow on the road) But I'll throw another guy Baker's production could mirror - Joe Flacco. Flacco, in a playoff run where he and the Ravens had everything clicking, ended up winning a Super Bowl. 

    Like I've said before, if you can improve upon Baker Mayfield, I'm all for doing it. But if not, get Baker healthy, improve the offense around him, and try again in 2022.