Seriously?
-
We did draft a #1 QB. Quinn was a first round draft pick. Some thought he went too low at #22.
True....and some like the TSN had him rated as a 3rd round talent.
If we didn't draft Quinn when we did, he was bound for the 2nd round or lower....
Quinn didn't drop on some injury rumor or drug rumor....it was simply based on scouting evaluations...add in the guy who drafted him was fired and had a bad record on evaluating qb talent and it should raise a red flag.
Sorry Gip....not drinking the Kool-Aid
Quinn didn't drop on some injury rumor or drug rumor....it was simply based on scouting evaluations...add in the guy who drafted him was fired and had a bad record on evaluating qb talent and it should raise a red flag.
Right. 90% of the evaluations had Quinn as top 10 draft talent.
Quinn dropped to 22 because of what happened to his team in his last nationally televised game where ND was totally outclassed in the Sugar Bowl by LSU.
It was the same game that put Jamarcus Russell in the #1 draft spot.
And that wasn't just an "Al Davis is batshit crazy" draft pick. Russell was annointed as a future HOF'er because of his size and arm as soon as "he" beat the "eternally shitty" ND squad that only beats up on service academies.
-
Quinn didn't drop on some injury rumor or drug rumor....it was simply based on scouting evaluations...add in the guy who drafted him was fired and had a bad record on evaluating qb talent and it should raise a red flag.
Right. 90% of the evaluations had Quinn as top 10 draft talent.
Quinn dropped to 22 because of what happened to his team in his last nationally televised game where ND was totally outclassed in the Sugar Bowl by LSU.
It was the same game that put Jamarcus Russell in the #1 draft spot.
And that wasn't just an "Al Davis is batshit crazy" draft pick. Russell was annointed as a future HOF'er because of his size and arm as soon as "he" beat the "eternally shitty" ND squad that only beats up on service academies.
Right. 90% of the evaluations had Quinn as top 10 draft talent.
Quinn dropped to 22 because of what happened to his team in his last nationally televised game where ND was totally outclassed in the Sugar Bowl by LSU.
It was the same game that put Jamarcus Russell in the #1 draft spot.
You're suggesting that the first 21 teams to pick in the draft--including the Browns--secretly knew in their hearts that Quinn was a top ten guy, but decided to pass? I mean, even if you don't need a QB, if he's there, take him as insurance or to trade.
Yeah, maybe they focused on one game, but maybe they weren't dazzled by big numbers against service academies.
Dennis
I mean, I got lost looking for the john at a game last year and put up 250 and a touchdown against Army.
-
Right. 90% of the evaluations had Quinn as top 10 draft talent.
Quinn dropped to 22 because of what happened to his team in his last nationally televised game where ND was totally outclassed in the Sugar Bowl by LSU.
It was the same game that put Jamarcus Russell in the #1 draft spot.
You're suggesting that the first 21 teams to pick in the draft--including the Browns--secretly knew in their hearts that Quinn was a top ten guy, but decided to pass? I mean, even if you don't need a QB, if he's there, take him as insurance or to trade.
Yeah, maybe they focused on one game, but maybe they weren't dazzled by big numbers against service academies.
Dennis
I mean, I got lost looking for the john at a game last year and put up 250 and a touchdown against Army.
You're suggesting that the first 21 teams to pick in the draft--including the Browns--secretly knew in their hearts that Quinn was a top ten guy, but decided to pass? I mean, even if you don't need a QB, if he's there, take him as insurance or to trade.
Is that what Belichick does every April? Grab a top QB in round 1 "just in case" or to trade?
That sounds like a horrible draft strategy, imo.
All I'm saying Dennis is that it may have all been hype, but Quinn was top 10 material for most. I can't ever recall the last time the NFL escorted a kid out of the camera & lights because of such a unexpected slide.
-
You're suggesting that the first 21 teams to pick in the draft--including the Browns--secretly knew in their hearts that Quinn was a top ten guy, but decided to pass? I mean, even if you don't need a QB, if he's there, take him as insurance or to trade.
Is that what Belichick does every April? Grab a top QB in round 1 "just in case" or to trade?
That sounds like a horrible draft strategy, imo.
All I'm saying Dennis is that it may have all been hype, but Quinn was top 10 material for most. I can't ever recall the last time the NFL escorted a kid out of the camera & lights because of such a unexpected slide.
All I'm saying Dennis is that it may have all been hype, but Quinn was top 10 material for most. I can't ever recall the last time the NFL escorted a kid out of the camera & lights because of such a unexpected slide.
I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?
In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.
Dennis
-
All I'm saying Dennis is that it may have all been hype, but Quinn was top 10 material for most. I can't ever recall the last time the NFL escorted a kid out of the camera & lights because of such a unexpected slide.
I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?
In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.
Dennis
I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?
In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.
Dennis
If Quinn should be compared to anybody (given we have one of these draft reminiscing stories every time Peens has had a couple toddies) it should be Rodgers. There was a guy who tumbled big time and doesn't look too shabby.
Again, nobody needed a QB, nor were they prepared to take one. However, there were some pretty substantiated rumors that some were looking to move up when the Browns made their move. Miami just flat out crapped themselves and Oakland was a contract whisker away from taking him number one.
None of it really matters to be honest, but it gets a little annoying at times.
-
All I'm saying Dennis is that it may have all been hype, but Quinn was top 10 material for most. I can't ever recall the last time the NFL escorted a kid out of the camera & lights because of such a unexpected slide.
I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?
In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.
Dennis
I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?
In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.
Dennis
Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.
-
I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?
In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.
Dennis
Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.
Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.
I'm still pissed we didnt take AP!
-
We should just rotate quarterbacks, get rid of the contreversy and all be friends.
-
I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?
In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.
Dennis
Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.
Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.
As long as Mel Kiper and Todd McShay and whatsisname who can't keep his hands still don't advocate picking a long-snapper with the #1 pick, they're not going anywhere. It's not about their abilities as analysts, it's their ability to get ratings and get people talking. I don't think it's a coincidence that Kiper and McShay spend half of March screaming at each other that they're Retards for wanting to take [insert player here] at #2, because we all know you don't take a [insert position here] that high in the draft! Well, one of them is clearly wrong, but it doesn't matter, because as long as it gets people talking and tuning in, that's all ESPN cares about. If the network were concerned about people taking them seriously, they'd have Neil Everett thrown off a bridge.
For God's sake, it took them years to get rid of Sean Salisbury, despite the twin facts that he sucked and that he spent his free time sending pictures of his junk to female coworkers. The only way to get ESPN to replace you is to criticize ESPN in any way.
Dennis
-
I understand your point & agree for the most part Dennis, but I just don't think saying Quinn should have gone top 10 was all that controversial, save for a few of the ND hater's that creep out of Bristol, CT every fall.
Especially when Weis (former NE coordinator for those in need of a geography lesson) says he's NFL-ready, which wouldn't have meant shit had Weis not coached Tom Brady through a couple of Super Bowl wins. You know, the Tom Brady that ESPN can't help but verbally jack-off at every opportunity they get.
Just saying, that it's more of a shock that Quinn slid, as opposed to it being a shock to say that he would be chosen so high.
-
We did draft a #1 QB. Quinn was a first round draft pick. Some thought he went too low at #22. Any QB you draft in the first round should be your starter eventually. The thing with these two, BQ and DA, at least here in this preseason is that both of them have performed fairly well. I don't think this is a case of "this one suck and that one doesn't". It is a case of two pretty decent QBs to choose from. I don't see Bradford or McCoy as necessarily being an upgrade from these two.
I have to say if Quinn doesn't pan out...McCoy and Braddford are HUGE upgrades. We know what Andersen is, we don't know what quinn is...give it to quinn if he can't do it...get McCoy or Bradford. str8 up!
-
-
hmmmmm.... of the firm belief that we've had debate and arguements over a QB in Cleveland my whole life...save a couple years with sipe and a couple years with bernie....but ever since belicheck brought testaverde in we've had polar opposites positions.
I Believe that we as Cleveland Browns fans expect, produce, and encourage controversies at Qb. Frankly more than half wouldn't know what to talk about if it weren't for it, which is sad. We have been so embroiled in it that we dog our own players and in doing so dog our own team and dog our own fans.
I've avoided the vinny vs bernie debate, the tim vs kelly debate, the charlie vs derek debate and the Quinn vs Anderson debate. I root for the Qb we have in there, if he sucks ~he sucks but that means the guy on the bench sucks more...no debate....draft a number 1 qb next year and keep doing so until you hit one!
Start quinn if he sucks grab bradford or McCoy or one of the many others in next years draft. just root for the guy that's in there, trust the coach and Gm atleast for a first couple years.... Can't stand the stupid qb Bullshit!!
hmmmmm.... of the firm belief that we've had debate and arguements over a QB in Cleveland my whole life...save a couple years with sipe and a couple years with bernie....but ever since belicheck brought testaverde in we've had polar opposites positions.
I Believe that we as Cleveland Browns fans expect, produce, and encourage controversies at Qb. Frankly more than half wouldn't know what to talk about if it weren't for it, which is sad. We have been so embroiled in it that we dog our own players and in doing so dog our own team and dog our own fans.
I've avoided the vinny vs bernie debate, the tim vs kelly debate, the charlie vs derek debate and the Quinn vs Anderson debate. I root for the Qb we have in there, if he sucks
You're not REALLY gonna complicate this are you? If the QB sucks - that usually means the BROWNS suck. Teams that SUCK have QB controversies. Teams that win aren't spending every waking moment arguing over the QB because they're able to enjoy games where their defense limits the opponent to 10 points. That's prolly the reason you and we ENJOYED the Browns most when Sipe and Kosar QB'd them. It's also a big reason why those seasons weren't held hostage by a QB controversy.
This ain't rocket science Solon. I'm sure you're thinking - what about Testaverde? I'll explain. The hometown QB that led us to 3 conference championships got cut for a QB that was best known for his struggles elsewhere. Aside from that, Kosar beat out Vinny as the starter in college. The outcome? The Miami Hurricanes enter the college football map with their 1st National Championship W on their way to steady prominence. As it would play out in Cleveland - Vinny got hurt the year BB cut Kosar so this left us watching the Todd Philcox Football Follies.
While I agreed w/ BB's diminished skills assessment - I didn't agree with the way that whole thing got handled based on what Kosar had done for this franchise. I'm not one of the guys that had the Lummy hometown hero crush on Kosar. Quite honestly, I found the admiration through his connection to winning consistently. If it was handled right, Kosar would have remained with us as the backup and been reinstated as starter the day Testaverde got hurt. THEN, Kosar could have left the next year to be a backup anywhere else he wanted to go. This situation would represent itself in NE for a more experienced BB and he would get it right as Bledsoe would start a playoff game vrs Pittsburgh for the injured Tom Brady. Once the season was over, the hostility-free Bledsoe was able to pursue a team that would start him.
The season we went 11-5 with Testaverde and beat the NE Patriots in the Wild Card Game was an enjoyable season. The people that had Sour Lumnuts for Kosar didn't allow themselves to enjoy the season. That's their problem. It was ALWAYS okay to miss the presence and smarts of Kosar. He was one of my favorite QBs when his body allowed him to be that. I just thought our Lummy sections were a little obnoxious toward Testaverde; especially when they were getting all limp wristed and goo goo eyed for the unproven Eric Zeier.
- Tom F.
-
-
Huh?
That kid can ball, flat out.
He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.
Think Drew Brees
I agree. If the Browns end up drafting high next year--say, top five--McCoy is the only QB out there who would make me put aside my Eric Berry man-love. He's the real deal, and if the Browns suck enough to draft him--and Quinn doesn't have a lot of games with high QB ratings--the Browns should absolutely take him.
Dennis
-
Huh?
That kid can ball, flat out.
He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.
Think Drew Brees
I think he's only thinking Drew Mudd. I agree the kid is a stud and has everythign the scouts want to see in a QB prospect for the next level.
I just wished that freakin conference played some Defense though. This is where it can backfire on a kid like McCoy because too many people are thinking more Graham Harrell false positives. When you have about 7 QBs enjoying insanely high completion percentages in that conference - you can pretty much summarize only a couple of those schools are loading up with NFL talent on the defensive side of the ball. Texas & Oklahoma.
- Tom F.
-
Huh?
That kid can ball, flat out.
He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.
Think Drew Brees
I agree. If the Browns end up drafting high next year--say, top five--McCoy is the only QB out there who would make me put aside my Eric Berry man-love. He's the real deal, and if the Browns suck enough to draft him--and Quinn doesn't have a lot of games with high QB ratings--the Browns should absolutely take him.
Dennis
I agree. If the Browns end up drafting high next year--say, top five--McCoy is the only QB out there who would make me put aside my Eric Berry man-love. He's the real deal, and if the Browns suck enough to draft him--and Quinn doesn't have a lot of games with high QB ratings--the Browns should absolutely take him.
Dennis
Sigh.
Let's all cross our fingers and pray we're not talking about drafting a QB the entire off season for the umpteenth year in a row.Personally, I'll be really surprised.
To me, everything says Quinn will succeed. He works very hard, a leader, very athletic, very coach-able, a gym rat and puts in hours of film study. Mangini will dig these qualities just like Weis did.
Frankly, the kid is tough as nails. He makes no excuses. He is accountable. He is no-nonsense.
He was raised in a no-excuses household. He took everything arrogant New Jersey Weis threw at him. He has handled this Cleveland QB thing as well as anybody could have, with his mouth shut and focused hard work.
The only way Quinn doesn't succeed is if the running game absolutely blows. Even an average running game and we'll be good.
OK, that's what I really think and have always thought. Reading it may sound too rosy to take and maybe I'm high on football finally starting.
Come on Quinn. You're up. Run the show.
-
I'm not a big McCoy fan, at least not yet. He should have won the Heisman last year, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 pick.
It's hard not to like his character and great leadership qualities. But when I went back and re-watched three Texas games after last season, I came away pretty disappointed.
-
More fuel for the QB debate/Another chink in Lum's armor?
Darius Walker cut by the Donkeys
So much for the "everybody who surrounded Quinn in South Bend is on an NFL roster" talk.
-
I'm not a big McCoy fan, at least not yet. He should have won the Heisman last year, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 pick.
It's hard not to like his character and great leadership qualities. But when I went back and re-watched three Texas games after last season, I came away pretty disappointed.
Aloysius said:
I'm not a big McCoy fan, at least not yet. He should have won the Heisman last year, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 pick.It's hard not to like his character and great leadership qualities. But when I went back and re-watched three Texas games after last season, I came away pretty disappointed.
I've watched every game he's played for tlast three years....trust me, the dude is going to star in the NFL!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login