Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Seriously?

Seriously?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
33 Posts 14 Posters 2.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • D dencyguy

    @legacy-fan said:

    All I'm saying Dennis is that it may have all been hype, but Quinn was top 10 material for most. I can't ever recall the last time the NFL escorted a kid out of the camera & lights because of such a unexpected slide.

    I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?

    In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.

    Dennis

    Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
    • 3k Posts
    • 197 Reputation
    Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @dencyguy said:

    I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?

    In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.

    Dennis

    Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.

    Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
    S D 2 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Legacy FanL Legacy Fan

      @dencyguy said:

      I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?

      In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.

      Dennis

      Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.

      Solon16 S
      • 2k Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
      #20

      @legacy-fan said:

      Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.

      I'm still pissed we didnt take AP!

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Lumspecta L
        • 9 Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        L Lumspecta wrote on last edited by
        #21

        We should just rotate quarterbacks, get rid of the contreversy and all be friends.

        I am straight for Brady Anderson.
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Legacy FanL Legacy Fan

          @dencyguy said:

          I'm not saying that he's not going to be a good QB--I think he is--but "most" is misleading, because it excludes the guys who have the responsibility to make the decision. Sure, most pundits and people on message boards put him in the top ten, but what did most NFL executives do when they had the option to do something that had actual consequences?

          In some cases--Miami and Kansas City come to mind--it might have made a difference, but even that's not a guarantee.

          Dennis

          Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.

          dencyguy D
          • 481 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          D dencyguy wrote on last edited by dencyguy
          #22

          @legacy-fan said:

          Ok. But pundits et al are all anybody goes on until the draft actually happens. They miss a few here & there but it's not like we see a new set of analysts every year because of poor work performance. So yeah NFL execs threw us a curve until about pick 11 or so and people started moving. We agree on Quinns potential, and I'm glad we picked him after picking JT.

          As long as Mel Kiper and Todd McShay and whatsisname who can't keep his hands still don't advocate picking a long-snapper with the #1 pick, they're not going anywhere. It's not about their abilities as analysts, it's their ability to get ratings and get people talking. I don't think it's a coincidence that Kiper and McShay spend half of March screaming at each other that they're Retards for wanting to take [insert player here] at #2, because we all know you don't take a [insert position here] that high in the draft! Well, one of them is clearly wrong, but it doesn't matter, because as long as it gets people talking and tuning in, that's all ESPN cares about. If the network were concerned about people taking them seriously, they'd have Neil Everett thrown off a bridge.

          For God's sake, it took them years to get rid of Sean Salisbury, despite the twin facts that he sucked and that he spent his free time sending pictures of his junk to female coworkers. The only way to get ESPN to replace you is to criticize ESPN in any way.

          Dennis

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
            • 3k Posts
            • 197 Reputation
            Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
            #23

            I understand your point & agree for the most part Dennis, but I just don't think saying Quinn should have gone top 10 was all that controversial, save for a few of the ND hater's that creep out of Bristol, CT every fall.

            Especially when Weis (former NE coordinator for those in need of a geography lesson) says he's NFL-ready, which wouldn't have meant shit had Weis not coached Tom Brady through a couple of Super Bowl wins. You know, the Tom Brady that ESPN can't help but verbally jack-off at every opportunity they get.

            Just saying, that it's more of a shock that Quinn slid, as opposed to it being a shock to say that he would be chosen so high.

            Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • S Solon16

              @the-gipper said:

              We did draft a #1 QB. Quinn was a first round draft pick. Some thought he went too low at #22. Any QB you draft in the first round should be your starter eventually. The thing with these two, BQ and DA, at least here in this preseason is that both of them have performed fairly well. I don't think this is a case of "this one suck and that one doesn't". It is a case of two pretty decent QBs to choose from. I don't see Bradford or McCoy as necessarily being an upgrade from these two.

              I have to say if Quinn doesn't pan out...McCoy and Braddford are HUGE upgrades. We know what Andersen is, we don't know what quinn is...give it to quinn if he can't do it...get McCoy or Bradford. str8 up!

              ITHIKA ITHIKAI Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 547 Posts
              • 21 Reputation
              ITHIKAI ITHIKA wrote on last edited by
              #24

              @solon16 said:

              I have to say if Quinn doesn't pan out...McCoy and Braddford are HUGE upgrades. We know what Andersen is, we don't know what quinn is...give it to quinn if he can't do it...get McCoy or Bradford. str8 up!

              Mccoy is not an NFL QB! What are you smoking?

              Slow Ur Role Jabroni!
              S Riffer XR 2 Replies Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • ITHIKAI ITHIKA

                @solon16 said:

                I have to say if Quinn doesn't pan out...McCoy and Braddford are HUGE upgrades. We know what Andersen is, we don't know what quinn is...give it to quinn if he can't do it...get McCoy or Bradford. str8 up!

                Mccoy is not an NFL QB! What are you smoking?

                Solon16 S
                • 2k Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
                #25

                @ithika said:

                Mccoy is not an NFL QB! What are you smoking?

                I will bet you as much and whatever you want...pick it...we have witness'. I'll guarantee it... you have zero judge of talent or never seen him play! It's a lock!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • S Solon16

                  hmmmmm.... of the firm belief that we've had debate and arguements over a QB in Cleveland my whole life...save a couple years with sipe and a couple years with bernie....but ever since belicheck brought testaverde in we've had polar opposites positions.

                  I Believe that we as Cleveland Browns fans expect, produce, and encourage controversies at Qb. Frankly more than half wouldn't know what to talk about if it weren't for it, which is sad. We have been so embroiled in it that we dog our own players and in doing so dog our own team and dog our own fans.

                  I've avoided the vinny vs bernie debate, the tim vs kelly debate, the charlie vs derek debate and the Quinn vs Anderson debate. I root for the Qb we have in there, if he sucks ~he sucks but that means the guy on the bench sucks more...no debate....draft a number 1 qb next year and keep doing so until you hit one!

                  Start quinn if he sucks grab bradford or McCoy or one of the many others in next years draft. just root for the guy that's in there, trust the coach and Gm atleast for a first couple years.... Can't stand the stupid qb Bullshit!!

                  Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 11k Posts
                  • 6k Reputation
                  FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
                  #26

                  @solon16 said:

                  hmmmmm.... of the firm belief that we've had debate and arguements over a QB in Cleveland my whole life...save a couple years with sipe and a couple years with bernie....but ever since belicheck brought testaverde in we've had polar opposites positions.

                  I Believe that we as Cleveland Browns fans expect, produce, and encourage controversies at Qb. Frankly more than half wouldn't know what to talk about if it weren't for it, which is sad. We have been so embroiled in it that we dog our own players and in doing so dog our own team and dog our own fans.

                  I've avoided the vinny vs bernie debate, the tim vs kelly debate, the charlie vs derek debate and the Quinn vs Anderson debate. I root for the Qb we have in there, if he sucks

                  You're not REALLY gonna complicate this are you? If the QB sucks - that usually means the BROWNS suck. Teams that SUCK have QB controversies. Teams that win aren't spending every waking moment arguing over the QB because they're able to enjoy games where their defense limits the opponent to 10 points. That's prolly the reason you and we ENJOYED the Browns most when Sipe and Kosar QB'd them. It's also a big reason why those seasons weren't held hostage by a QB controversy.

                  This ain't rocket science Solon. I'm sure you're thinking - what about Testaverde? I'll explain. The hometown QB that led us to 3 conference championships got cut for a QB that was best known for his struggles elsewhere. Aside from that, Kosar beat out Vinny as the starter in college. The outcome? The Miami Hurricanes enter the college football map with their 1st National Championship W on their way to steady prominence. As it would play out in Cleveland - Vinny got hurt the year BB cut Kosar so this left us watching the Todd Philcox Football Follies.

                  While I agreed w/ BB's diminished skills assessment - I didn't agree with the way that whole thing got handled based on what Kosar had done for this franchise. I'm not one of the guys that had the Lummy hometown hero crush on Kosar. Quite honestly, I found the admiration through his connection to winning consistently. If it was handled right, Kosar would have remained with us as the backup and been reinstated as starter the day Testaverde got hurt. THEN, Kosar could have left the next year to be a backup anywhere else he wanted to go. This situation would represent itself in NE for a more experienced BB and he would get it right as Bledsoe would start a playoff game vrs Pittsburgh for the injured Tom Brady. Once the season was over, the hostility-free Bledsoe was able to pursue a team that would start him.

                  The season we went 11-5 with Testaverde and beat the NE Patriots in the Wild Card Game was an enjoyable season. The people that had Sour Lumnuts for Kosar didn't allow themselves to enjoy the season. That's their problem. It was ALWAYS okay to miss the presence and smarts of Kosar. He was one of my favorite QBs when his body allowed him to be that. I just thought our Lummy sections were a little obnoxious toward Testaverde; especially when they were getting all limp wristed and goo goo eyed for the unproven Eric Zeier.

                  - Tom F.

                  I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • ITHIKAI ITHIKA

                    @solon16 said:

                    I have to say if Quinn doesn't pan out...McCoy and Braddford are HUGE upgrades. We know what Andersen is, we don't know what quinn is...give it to quinn if he can't do it...get McCoy or Bradford. str8 up!

                    Mccoy is not an NFL QB! What are you smoking?

                    Riffer X Riffer XR Very Popular Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 3k Posts
                    • 127 Reputation
                    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
                    #27

                    @ithika said:

                    Mccoy is not an NFL QB! What are you smoking?

                    Huh?

                    That kid can ball, flat out.

                    He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.

                    Think Drew Brees

                    Is a pig's ass pork?
                    D FlugelF 2 Replies Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Riffer XR Riffer X

                      @ithika said:

                      Mccoy is not an NFL QB! What are you smoking?

                      Huh?

                      That kid can ball, flat out.

                      He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.

                      Think Drew Brees

                      dencyguy D
                      • 481 Posts
                      • 0 Reputation
                      D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
                      #28

                      @riffer-x said:

                      Huh?

                      That kid can ball, flat out.

                      He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.

                      Think Drew Brees

                      I agree. If the Browns end up drafting high next year--say, top five--McCoy is the only QB out there who would make me put aside my Eric Berry man-love. He's the real deal, and if the Browns suck enough to draft him--and Quinn doesn't have a lot of games with high QB ratings--the Browns should absolutely take him.

                      Dennis

                      OconReconO 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Riffer XR Riffer X

                        @ithika said:

                        Mccoy is not an NFL QB! What are you smoking?

                        Huh?

                        That kid can ball, flat out.

                        He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.

                        Think Drew Brees

                        Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 11k Posts
                        • 6k Reputation
                        FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
                        #29

                        @riffer-x said:

                        Huh?

                        That kid can ball, flat out.

                        He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.

                        Think Drew Brees

                        I think he's only thinking Drew Mudd. I agree the kid is a stud and has everythign the scouts want to see in a QB prospect for the next level.

                        I just wished that freakin conference played some Defense though. This is where it can backfire on a kid like McCoy because too many people are thinking more Graham Harrell false positives. When you have about 7 QBs enjoying insanely high completion percentages in that conference - you can pretty much summarize only a couple of those schools are loading up with NFL talent on the defensive side of the ball. Texas & Oklahoma.

                        - Tom F.

                        I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • D dencyguy

                          @riffer-x said:

                          Huh?

                          That kid can ball, flat out.

                          He may fall after the gurus get done tearing him down, but he'll be a player, trust me.

                          Think Drew Brees

                          I agree. If the Browns end up drafting high next year--say, top five--McCoy is the only QB out there who would make me put aside my Eric Berry man-love. He's the real deal, and if the Browns suck enough to draft him--and Quinn doesn't have a lot of games with high QB ratings--the Browns should absolutely take him.

                          Dennis

                          OconRecon OconReconO Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 1k Posts
                          • 2 Reputation
                          OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by OconRecon
                          #30

                          @dencyguy said:

                          I agree. If the Browns end up drafting high next year--say, top five--McCoy is the only QB out there who would make me put aside my Eric Berry man-love. He's the real deal, and if the Browns suck enough to draft him--and Quinn doesn't have a lot of games with high QB ratings--the Browns should absolutely take him.

                          Dennis

                          Sigh.

                          Let's all cross our fingers and pray we're not talking about drafting a QB the entire off season for the umpteenth year in a row.Personally, I'll be really surprised.

                          To me, everything says Quinn will succeed. He works very hard, a leader, very athletic, very coach-able, a gym rat and puts in hours of film study. Mangini will dig these qualities just like Weis did.

                          Frankly, the kid is tough as nails. He makes no excuses. He is accountable. He is no-nonsense.

                          He was raised in a no-excuses household. He took everything arrogant New Jersey Weis threw at him. He has handled this Cleveland QB thing as well as anybody could have, with his mouth shut and focused hard work.

                          The only way Quinn doesn't succeed is if the running game absolutely blows. Even an average running game and we'll be good.

                          OK, that's what I really think and have always thought. Reading it may sound too rosy to take and maybe I'm high on football finally starting.

                          Come on Quinn. You're up. Run the show.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Aloysius ?
                            • Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
                            #31

                            I'm not a big McCoy fan, at least not yet. He should have won the Heisman last year, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 pick.

                            It's hard not to like his character and great leadership qualities. But when I went back and re-watched three Texas games after last season, I came away pretty disappointed.

                            S 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
                              • 3k Posts
                              • 197 Reputation
                              Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
                              #32

                              More fuel for the QB debate/Another chink in Lum's armor?

                              Darius Walker cut by the Donkeys

                              So much for the "everybody who surrounded Quinn in South Bend is on an NFL roster" talk.

                              Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • ? Guest

                                I'm not a big McCoy fan, at least not yet. He should have won the Heisman last year, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 pick.

                                It's hard not to like his character and great leadership qualities. But when I went back and re-watched three Texas games after last season, I came away pretty disappointed.

                                Solon16 S
                                • 2k Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
                                #33

                                Aloysius said:

                                I'm not a big McCoy fan, at least not yet. He should have won the Heisman last year, but I don't think he'll be a top 5 pick.

                                It's hard not to like his character and great leadership qualities. But when I went back and re-watched three Texas games after last season, I came away pretty disappointed.

                                I've watched every game he's played for tlast three years....trust me, the dude is going to star in the NFL!

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                Register Login
                                Reply
                                • Reply as topic
                                Log in to reply
                                • Oldest to Newest
                                • Newest to Oldest
                                • Most Votes


                                Theme
                                • System
                                • Light
                                • Dark
                                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                0
                                • Forums
                                • Recent
                                • Popular
                                • Users
                                • Donate