Skip to content

2022 Draft Prospects and off-season addition breakdowns.

The Browns Board
191 14 10.3k 1
  • @gumby73 said there was a "cat fight" for that 6th corner spot between Herb Miller and Lavert Hill.   Herb did himself no favors this past weekend in winning that fight.

     Anatomy of a play, how the Eagles used one of Stef's favorite early down concepts to their own treat.

    1st and 10, neutral side of the field, 21 personnel and catching the Browns in a single high 3 fire look.   

    Pre-snap

    1470063071_Yankee1.thumb.jpg.ceaa6721799aa8d61dfcfa404edd7ef6.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Pre-snap defensive check in

    1880630717_Yankee2.thumb.jpg.283a2ff7b42ab5338e88d9e21bc2f696.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    At the snap.  Coverage tells.

    2097967725_Yankee3.thumb.jpg.2c86eddb0deaec2ed6f23f83654d0069.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Browns send a 3 fire pressure, Eagles bottle it all up.

    1373293217_Yankee4.thumb.jpg.05cb50953f01c5a09ecb2c12d7706ddc.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "yankee"  early down, 2 (sometimes 3rd on delay release)  21 personnel, ball action... a calculated deep shot off a high-low read. 

    1040234408_Yankee5.thumb.jpg.9667e67a3e2edfe7676ac7c82eeb2e9f.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The failed zone replacement.

    -Middle field safety steps down to pick up the deep over, that is the correct read.

    - Moffatt flattened his hips too much on the WR stabbing outside to sell that 7 route.  So now he's no longer high on the WR, he's even at best.

    - Miller has chased the deep over too far, he's too steep in his pursuit across the field instead of flowing upfield with hips open.

    835509844_Yankee6b.thumb.jpg.229b44db2065cf8b3897e4e78492464b.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This high-low read is based off the middle field safety, a "landmark" in distance and DB.   In the frame below, the QB is well into his motion already, so he read this perfectly and was already in his windup when the WR was even with the DB's.

    We know the result.

    1538086689_Yankee7.thumb.jpg.b4f39b6a6515db730d8605360d85ff73.jpg

    Miller did himself no favors on this.   He chased that deep over too far and then took a poor angle to work cutting off that deepo.   In this case, when the middle field safety steps down to take the deep over route, Miller is now tasked with zone replacement on the middle 1/3.  So he has to climb and climb fast to cutoff anything coming backside.    You might remember me mentioning that DB's are taught, safeties especially, when you aren't getting anything vertical your way, you need to expect something backside.  You can see his eyes in these frames when he understands what's happening and that he isn't in a place to deny it like he needs to be.

    What makes it worse is that neither of these corners, Miller or Moffat, are starting NFL athletic for the position.  They're 4.6 runners who lack serious makeup speed.  So once you're beat, you're beat.  There is no coming back from this.   While PFF is correct in their assessment that Moffat is the secondary coverage in this and likely not assigned "blame" or a negative grade, he also has zero business being this low and slow against a 4.3 receiver.    You have to at least put yourself in a position to be able to makeup SOME ground.   And I get that you're playing to the field against a young QB and a young WR, so the threat of that 7 with all the space is real, which is why you stay high and keep expanding outside to the numbers.  At worst you roll your hips that are already naturally going to open against either throw - the post or the flag.    If I'm a coach, Miller is getting the brunt of this, but Moffatt isn't getting away from some chirping as well.

    Great call by the Eagles coaching staff, and outstanding execution by their young players.  

  • re: the "arm tackle" on Schwartz.  It's easy to pile on the guy, a lot of it is deserved... but the end around failure to be a bigger gain isn't on him.

    I believe it was @sdbacker80 who first mentioned it?

    1272737652_missedblock.thumb.png.bb86afbc42393f0d4ad4d4d254ae9556.png

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1181933957_missedblock2.thumb.png.152b610512e5730196ca369908f2a240.png

     I feel bad because this play right here, if it was a big gain, might help ease some pressure off Anthony.  No different than a shooter going cold or a hitter in a slump.   Find a play, find a gain, next thing you know you're in the flow of things and you're seeing the game again.  

     This isn't on Schwartz, it was a GREAT call and a sweet design.  #89 just failed to seal this corner who WAY over-pursued inside.    You really want to give Schwartz a full head of steam and let him round this out, not have to sharply cut back upfield, especially inside the numbers.   Build the alley and let him speed round his way outside the numbers.  Force that safety to take the correct angle to the ball and tackle in space.

    I'm with you guys on some of the Schwartz critique, but this play I just can't follow you on.  It wasn't on his shoulders and this is the correct type of way the coaches can get his type of speed the ball and make it effective.  The rest of the blocking has to execute correctly in order for it to work.

  • @texasag1969

    So I was able to go through the late 1st half and 2nd half drives by Mond.    At first I was taken back by him missing on a couple of the easier throws.  There was a deep over to the far left hash against a 3fire coverage that was coming wide open and Mond just flat out didn't see it and instead went after a very risky throw deep down the boundary.

    The odd part was, it was in 21 personnel and with a strong ball action fake on favorable downs and distances.  It was a flavor of a yankee concept, except the boundary receiver broke his route of from running the post.   Either way, it was an easy and clean read from the additional body on the pressure giving Kellen more space to throw the intermediate stuff.   

    Another one from a single back against a cover 2 pressure where he failed to pickup the flat defender (corner) and throw off him once he identified the safety's depth and leverage.   Read corner - throw corner.  That was again, off a ball action fake from under center.

    Filed both of those away for later.

    Here's the 1st (bad) throw in a quick summary.

    And that single high sitting on the boundary safety, to the weakside of the formation is a gift.  Because if he doesn't leave that lane, you're throwing off his leverage.  

    1385815979_Mondo1.thumb.jpg.50e536240baa8d3183d602ac89e90a59.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    608975728_Mondo2.thumb.jpg.fd25bab46cc5e22019e162944d0b7139.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    1957454274_Mondo3.thumb.jpg.5010db51bfb40904cb2e4c84c225b609.jpg

    So that right there looks like shit.  It's a simple read and throw. Even if you see the MFS stay flat footed, he's still high and sitting outside the middle hashes.  Mond had zero reason to leave this deep over. 

    Came across a few simple throws from empty where he would read and replace the MIKE backer, as he should do, for easy completions and gains.  While I say easy, it was something a 1st round pick in Trey Lance failed to execute when I watched him in the pre-season last year.  So in terms of relative rookie development, I'd value Mond ahead of Lance as a passer when you compare that sort of '101' type knowledge.  

    Then came things I didn't expect.    Raiders showed a quarters pre-snap on a 2nd and 7, then rolled into another 3fire pressure from the field side nickel.   Kellen came off the read from the pressure side, looks like he understood the 3 deep, came all the way back to his right to his boundary X and TE running a hitch-dig combo.   He's starting his throwing motion well before the receiver clears the shoulder of the MIKE backer expanding in his hook zone and puts a great anticipatory throw to the dig, outside of the backer, before the DB's and at 12 yards.   

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1906590157_Mond1.thumb.png.3d442ce136470327ebc7059a67fdf57d.png

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1393099934_Mond2.thumb.png.9be34e5c5154d9f91491cfb4be8cab39.png

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    297209601_Mond3.thumb.png.061e7faf89e36c294d87119e6f167c54.png

    This is a great read and a great throw.   While the pocket acumen needs cleaned up just a bit, at no point did I see Kellen bail from clean protection and/or show much in the way of happy feet.  He's calm and collected working from behind his line.   Shoulder direction and throwing motion also need a small tweak, but his technique isn't so poor that it would wildly effect his accuracy

    Then it sort of hit me, I don't think Kellen is accustomed to and comfortable running ball action from under center.  Because his back is going to be turned to the line, so now he has to plant, get his head around and identify his landmarks + process a lot of information fast.    I'm not saying he can't, I'm saying it isn't something he's good with. Mostly because of the offensive styles that dominate the CFB landscape not asking their QB's to do that.

    Which is sort of in reverse for a lot of QB's we see come out the past few years,  who lack a lot of ability to show even a basic understanding of what is unfolding in front of them.  Then delivering with poise, timing and anticipation.

    Granted, it's only 2 halves of ball, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Kellen get time to work in the pocket and drive the ball downfield.  He certainly didn't look completely out of place like Matt Corral and Malik Willis have shown this preseason.  Both of them top 75 picks.

    I still have 2 games to go, but I've seen enough that would make me want to continue watching him to try and understand more about the Vikes decision.  And given how fast the Browns snatched him up, I'm sure they saw a bit of what I'm talking about right now.

  • Fisher liked him because of the fact that little rattled him and he maintained the same demeanor regardless of the pressure. He also had the legs to take off on the planned QB draws and naked bootlegs. Under Fishes he became a more accurate passer than when he arrived as a freshman. Also became better at reading the defense with quick looks to the different receivers with scanning left to right or right to left as each play called for one direction or the other. He also got better at looking off DBs before going to the receiver quickly. Rarely got happy feet other than intentional climbing the pocket. He'd throw away the ball before taking the hit if no one got open. Anyway I'm glad we have him. Totally even keeled QB no matter the situation.

  • 2/2

     For all the smoke coming from former OU players about Alex Grinch, there appears to be a great deal of fire to match.   And, while I won't claim to be in their heads, I think I fully understand what our coaching staff saw with Perrion, how to warranted a further look and how they saw a coach fail to utilize his best defenders best ability, then to wrap it all up by not building your defense around it.


    When Grinch went away from his slants and stunts, the OU front 7, namely PW, were pretty damn effective getting into gaps and changing rushing lanes.   Basically when he got the hell out of his own way, what I ended up seeing was a player who could have more easily conserved play calling resources and snaps for his coach had he let him off the chain more frequently.

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Another quasi double-eagle look.

    1789707656_OUCF1.thumb.jpg.07401ea7a89c99f30787fd5f9ced8a04.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    In the zone to, PW's job is to not let this lineman cross his face and get picked up by backside zone step.  That's how huge creases for Nick Chubb are opened.    I tossed in some other assignments for perspective on the edge.

    1482995020_OUCF2.thumb.jpg.136929ad44273839bb5815d7745d88ed.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    Perrion wins past and through the gap and starts moving into the backfield.

    923252075_OUCF3.thumb.jpg.3cb20da3ae5c426d69720ce688f388e8.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

    PW clearly wins his assignment and is what forces the RB to take his first cut at negative depth and having zero lateral or forward speed.

    524975464_OUCF4.thumb.jpg.b35d84a9f58e0a0ce5a4b0b176260cc1.jpg
     

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    These were brief flashes I saw playing within the structure at OU, despite it not always been beneficial structure for PW's talents.   I honestly believe he was incredibly overlooked by most front offices until the senior bowl.   And credit to the Browns coaches and staff for identifying this guy then going back on the film.  But I know exactly when they saw something from said senior bowl during the individual drills.

    -----------------------------------------------

    I'm too lazy to look it up and I won't ask Woody, but I'm pretty sure that's Stuber from *ichigan at RG.

    Solid player, nothing spectacular. Will likely kick in at full time guard if he starts in the NFL.  But he'll make an NFL final roster I'm sure.   Anywho.

    Great balance and control from our RG, square arms ready to make his initial punch at PW.  You can tell this kid has put in some time at OT.    But PW gets to show 1 on 1 fundamentals he didn't display in the 3 games I watched at OU.  First being, his hands are up, active and ready to work.

    869862378_PWSB2.thumb.jpg.267a4627db6ca9c5797b0c9d269b0a16.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    Stuber may land the initial punch and extension, but PW has a great counter swipe from left to right en route.  Good weight distribution and Winfrey's not launching himself into his blocker.  He's actively working to win the gap instead of occupying the man.

    731923055_PWSB3.thumb.jpg.a8d07ddb9ed0f9856285a060f122d53c.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    It's fundamental and needs work, but it's a punch and pull.  Perrion needs to be a bit better at "knifing" his right arm back through which will naturally square his shoulders and upper body once he has shed a blockers hands. 

    Try it yourself sitting down, turn your shoulders right, then take your right hand across your chest in a 'stab' motion. Naturally starts to square out your shoulders. 

    323325425_PWSB4.thumb.jpg.3656c302192b7e5e5b5b1b5c6293d0cf.jpg
     

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Not completely getting his shoulders square here hurts your balance a bit, and Stuber rides out contact.   But it does display the agility and control this big man has.   Also highlights great knee bend for someone 6'4 295lbs.

    1145721333_PWSB5.thumb.jpg.6aed530e3a9eba06c57c92de31bcd4d8.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW regains his full balance and shows some bend and dip around the corner in this drill.   Can't stress it enough, all while dealing with contact redirecting him the whole time, this is good balance, agility, control and strength.   It isn't perfect, but it's a foundation to greater things.

    1126401571_PWSB6.thumb.jpg.b6fa65f9545993ac18e6e9df6d411905.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Last group of stills and something I never saw from him at OU.

    -------------------------------------------

    This is where Winfrey might make the most noticeable impact his first year.  Interior pass rush.

    914356376_PWSBS1.thumb.jpg.32426c6334c9b909d24285ca322ae531.jpg

    ----------------------------------------------------------

    Fires to the guards outside shoulder and gets him attack his right shoulder and chest with his left arm.   It isn't much, but if you're a guard you really don't want to lose any ability to control your own inside shoulder.

    873002577_PWSBS2.thumb.jpg.24028d1422e34244a1368b2b44ee6aa9.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------

    PW feels the gaurd being high on his outside shoulder and uses that momentum to roll back to his inside off of the contact balance.  

    1991008915_PWSBS3.thumb.jpg.839f1bc54a1a9ffd49e8cfe256e32376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    It isn't the cleanest footwork, won't fool anyone thinking it's Dwight Freeney.  But it's pretty damn good too.  Not often you see that light footwork from an IDL.   I know I have some reviews of Neil Ferrall trying and failing pretty hard.  Granted Ferrall is 30lbs heavier, have to distinguish between the position groups.   But it's still a big man showing great balance and lateral agility.    Biggest drawback to his move here that needs the most work,  PW should have extended out his right arm away from him "fanned out" and used it sort of like Kobe when he would go to clear space for shooting.       That way the guard can't do what he's about to do....

    1102540379_PWSBS4.thumb.jpg.4048c72303b4a4e8bc794393dd8b0220.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    ..... Latch on to your right shoulder and try to rip himself (or you) back into contact.     Not always easy to draw a flag from this moment right here.  But that arm usage is the difference between a player letting the guard fighting for his life and Aaron Donald ending his career early.

    1342211399_PWSBS5.thumb.jpg.75ab9b2be1fe99a3f766025209cfe30c.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------

    It was still damn good and unexpected.  I know, because I saw it, and Perrion's drill mates plus position coaches saw it.    You can see the helmet slaps and then his position coach telling him exactly what I'm typing now - that right arm was all that saved the guard from having a fighters chance at not letting his QB get killed.

    423485646_PWSBS7.thumb.jpg.3194958532dbd3005a66779780691bcf.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 1.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 2.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 3.jpg

    When I see someone claim a player, position group or side of the ball is being held back by coaching staff, I always make sure to double check my homework before I even think about agreeing.    I've seen a lot of lazy players and excuses.

    It's something casually tossed out that VERY few offer any real evidence or conclusions on., especially with QB's. The Baker saga here is evidence of that alone.

    But the more I watched the more I saw the prototypical NFL 3-tech with Winfrey.   Quick, powerful, violent, shades of technical, and a great motor.     And the more I watched, the more I understood the growing frustration from the OU defensive players as well.   Your coaching staff held you back from being a functional and possible above average unit, aside from putting the damper on individual play which helps lead to bigger NFL paydays.      

    But I now see exactly the glimpses this front office did.  I get it, I get this selection.     Does Perrion solve our IDL issues?  No.   We still have another spot and some depth next to him that needs answering.    But I'm more than willing to say that this is Berry's first value pick attempt at delivering a long term solution along the IDL instead of the recent trend of bringing in 1 year stop-gaps.   I'm excited about this pick, you should be excited about this pick.   And I can't wait to see what the early results and word in camp is, I'd bet the phrase "real deal" gets tossed around a few times.

    @tiamat63 said:

    2/2

     For all the smoke coming from former OU players about Alex Grinch, there appears to be a great deal of fire to match.   And, while I won't claim to be in their heads, I think I fully understand what our coaching staff saw with Perrion, how to warranted a further look and how they saw a coach fail to utilize his best defenders best ability, then to wrap it all up by not building your defense around it.


    When Grinch went away from his slants and stunts, the OU front 7, namely PW, were pretty damn effective getting into gaps and changing rushing lanes.   Basically when he got the hell out of his own way, what I ended up seeing was a player who could have more easily conserved play calling resources and snaps for his coach had he let him off the chain more frequently.

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Another quasi double-eagle look.

    1789707656_OUCF1.thumb.jpg.07401ea7a89c99f30787fd5f9ced8a04.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    In the zone to, PW's job is to not let this lineman cross his face and get picked up by backside zone step.  That's how huge creases for Nick Chubb are opened.    I tossed in some other assignments for perspective on the edge.

    1482995020_OUCF2.thumb.jpg.136929ad44273839bb5815d7745d88ed.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    Perrion wins past and through the gap and starts moving into the backfield.

    923252075_OUCF3.thumb.jpg.3cb20da3ae5c426d69720ce688f388e8.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

    PW clearly wins his assignment and is what forces the RB to take his first cut at negative depth and having zero lateral or forward speed.

    524975464_OUCF4.thumb.jpg.b35d84a9f58e0a0ce5a4b0b176260cc1.jpg
     

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    These were brief flashes I saw playing within the structure at OU, despite it not always been beneficial structure for PW's talents.   I honestly believe he was incredibly overlooked by most front offices until the senior bowl.   And credit to the Browns coaches and staff for identifying this guy then going back on the film.  But I know exactly when they saw something from said senior bowl during the individual drills.

    -----------------------------------------------

    I'm too lazy to look it up and I won't ask Woody, but I'm pretty sure that's Stuber from *ichigan at RG.

    Solid player, nothing spectacular. Will likely kick in at full time guard if he starts in the NFL.  But he'll make an NFL final roster I'm sure.   Anywho.

    Great balance and control from our RG, square arms ready to make his initial punch at PW.  You can tell this kid has put in some time at OT.    But PW gets to show 1 on 1 fundamentals he didn't display in the 3 games I watched at OU.  First being, his hands are up, active and ready to work.

    869862378_PWSB2.thumb.jpg.267a4627db6ca9c5797b0c9d269b0a16.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    Stuber may land the initial punch and extension, but PW has a great counter swipe from left to right en route.  Good weight distribution and Winfrey's not launching himself into his blocker.  He's actively working to win the gap instead of occupying the man.

    731923055_PWSB3.thumb.jpg.a8d07ddb9ed0f9856285a060f122d53c.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    It's fundamental and needs work, but it's a punch and pull.  Perrion needs to be a bit better at "knifing" his right arm back through which will naturally square his shoulders and upper body once he has shed a blockers hands. 

    Try it yourself sitting down, turn your shoulders right, then take your right hand across your chest in a 'stab' motion. Naturally starts to square out your shoulders. 

    323325425_PWSB4.thumb.jpg.3656c302192b7e5e5b5b1b5c6293d0cf.jpg
     

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Not completely getting his shoulders square here hurts your balance a bit, and Stuber rides out contact.   But it does display the agility and control this big man has.   Also highlights great knee bend for someone 6'4 295lbs.

    1145721333_PWSB5.thumb.jpg.6aed530e3a9eba06c57c92de31bcd4d8.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW regains his full balance and shows some bend and dip around the corner in this drill.   Can't stress it enough, all while dealing with contact redirecting him the whole time, this is good balance, agility, control and strength.   It isn't perfect, but it's a foundation to greater things.

    1126401571_PWSB6.thumb.jpg.b6fa65f9545993ac18e6e9df6d411905.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Last group of stills and something I never saw from him at OU.

    -------------------------------------------

    This is where Winfrey might make the most noticeable impact his first year.  Interior pass rush.

    914356376_PWSBS1.thumb.jpg.32426c6334c9b909d24285ca322ae531.jpg

    ----------------------------------------------------------

    Fires to the guards outside shoulder and gets him attack his right shoulder and chest with his left arm.   It isn't much, but if you're a guard you really don't want to lose any ability to control your own inside shoulder.

    873002577_PWSBS2.thumb.jpg.24028d1422e34244a1368b2b44ee6aa9.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------

    PW feels the gaurd being high on his outside shoulder and uses that momentum to roll back to his inside off of the contact balance.  

    1991008915_PWSBS3.thumb.jpg.839f1bc54a1a9ffd49e8cfe256e32376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    It isn't the cleanest footwork, won't fool anyone thinking it's Dwight Freeney.  But it's pretty damn good too.  Not often you see that light footwork from an IDL.   I know I have some reviews of Neil Ferrall trying and failing pretty hard.  Granted Ferrall is 30lbs heavier, have to distinguish between the position groups.   But it's still a big man showing great balance and lateral agility.    Biggest drawback to his move here that needs the most work,  PW should have extended out his right arm away from him "fanned out" and used it sort of like Kobe when he would go to clear space for shooting.       That way the guard can't do what he's about to do....

    1102540379_PWSBS4.thumb.jpg.4048c72303b4a4e8bc794393dd8b0220.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    ..... Latch on to your right shoulder and try to rip himself (or you) back into contact.     Not always easy to draw a flag from this moment right here.  But that arm usage is the difference between a player letting the guard fighting for his life and Aaron Donald ending his career early.

    1342211399_PWSBS5.thumb.jpg.75ab9b2be1fe99a3f766025209cfe30c.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------

    It was still damn good and unexpected.  I know, because I saw it, and Perrion's drill mates plus position coaches saw it.    You can see the helmet slaps and then his position coach telling him exactly what I'm typing now - that right arm was all that saved the guard from having a fighters chance at not letting his QB get killed.

    423485646_PWSBS7.thumb.jpg.3194958532dbd3005a66779780691bcf.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 1.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 2.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 3.jpg

    When I see someone claim a player, position group or side of the ball is being held back by coaching staff, I always make sure to double check my homework before I even think about agreeing.    I've seen a lot of lazy players and excuses.

    It's something casually tossed out that VERY few offer any real evidence or conclusions on., especially with QB's. The Baker saga here is evidence of that alone.

    But the more I watched the more I saw the prototypical NFL 3-tech with Winfrey.   Quick, powerful, violent, shades of technical, and a great motor.     And the more I watched, the more I understood the growing frustration from the OU defensive players as well.   Your coaching staff held you back from being a functional and possible above average unit, aside from putting the damper on individual play which helps lead to bigger NFL paydays.      

    But I now see exactly the glimpses this front office did.  I get it, I get this selection.     Does Perrion solve our IDL issues?  No.   We still have another spot and some depth next to him that needs answering.    But I'm more than willing to say that this is Berry's first value pick attempt at delivering a long term solution along the IDL instead of the recent trend of bringing in 1 year stop-gaps.   I'm excited about this pick, you should be excited about this pick.   And I can't wait to see what the early results and word in camp is, I'd bet the phrase "real deal" gets tossed around a few times.

    The biggest challenge I see with Winfrey in many of the pictures you've shown and on some occasions in the preseason is getting that pad height down at the snap a little more consistently.  Being stronger than your opponent means nothing in the trenches if you forfeit your legs/base to him with a crappy pad height out of stance.  This gets worse, not better as guys tire.  Good news is this can be corrected.

    If they had any Okie Drills early on in camp where he faced Teller or Bitonio - a bad pad height would be a summer school session he'll never forget.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    2/2

     For all the smoke coming from former OU players about Alex Grinch, there appears to be a great deal of fire to match.   And, while I won't claim to be in their heads, I think I fully understand what our coaching staff saw with Perrion, how to warranted a further look and how they saw a coach fail to utilize his best defenders best ability, then to wrap it all up by not building your defense around it.


    When Grinch went away from his slants and stunts, the OU front 7, namely PW, were pretty damn effective getting into gaps and changing rushing lanes.   Basically when he got the hell out of his own way, what I ended up seeing was a player who could have more easily conserved play calling resources and snaps for his coach had he let him off the chain more frequently.

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Another quasi double-eagle look.

    1789707656_OUCF1.thumb.jpg.07401ea7a89c99f30787fd5f9ced8a04.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    In the zone to, PW's job is to not let this lineman cross his face and get picked up by backside zone step.  That's how huge creases for Nick Chubb are opened.    I tossed in some other assignments for perspective on the edge.

    1482995020_OUCF2.thumb.jpg.136929ad44273839bb5815d7745d88ed.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    Perrion wins past and through the gap and starts moving into the backfield.

    923252075_OUCF3.thumb.jpg.3cb20da3ae5c426d69720ce688f388e8.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------

    PW clearly wins his assignment and is what forces the RB to take his first cut at negative depth and having zero lateral or forward speed.

    524975464_OUCF4.thumb.jpg.b35d84a9f58e0a0ce5a4b0b176260cc1.jpg
     

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    These were brief flashes I saw playing within the structure at OU, despite it not always been beneficial structure for PW's talents.   I honestly believe he was incredibly overlooked by most front offices until the senior bowl.   And credit to the Browns coaches and staff for identifying this guy then going back on the film.  But I know exactly when they saw something from said senior bowl during the individual drills.

    -----------------------------------------------

    I'm too lazy to look it up and I won't ask Woody, but I'm pretty sure that's Stuber from *ichigan at RG.

    Solid player, nothing spectacular. Will likely kick in at full time guard if he starts in the NFL.  But he'll make an NFL final roster I'm sure.   Anywho.

    Great balance and control from our RG, square arms ready to make his initial punch at PW.  You can tell this kid has put in some time at OT.    But PW gets to show 1 on 1 fundamentals he didn't display in the 3 games I watched at OU.  First being, his hands are up, active and ready to work.

    869862378_PWSB2.thumb.jpg.267a4627db6ca9c5797b0c9d269b0a16.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    Stuber may land the initial punch and extension, but PW has a great counter swipe from left to right en route.  Good weight distribution and Winfrey's not launching himself into his blocker.  He's actively working to win the gap instead of occupying the man.

    731923055_PWSB3.thumb.jpg.a8d07ddb9ed0f9856285a060f122d53c.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    It's fundamental and needs work, but it's a punch and pull.  Perrion needs to be a bit better at "knifing" his right arm back through which will naturally square his shoulders and upper body once he has shed a blockers hands. 

    Try it yourself sitting down, turn your shoulders right, then take your right hand across your chest in a 'stab' motion. Naturally starts to square out your shoulders. 

    323325425_PWSB4.thumb.jpg.3656c302192b7e5e5b5b1b5c6293d0cf.jpg
     

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Not completely getting his shoulders square here hurts your balance a bit, and Stuber rides out contact.   But it does display the agility and control this big man has.   Also highlights great knee bend for someone 6'4 295lbs.

    1145721333_PWSB5.thumb.jpg.6aed530e3a9eba06c57c92de31bcd4d8.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW regains his full balance and shows some bend and dip around the corner in this drill.   Can't stress it enough, all while dealing with contact redirecting him the whole time, this is good balance, agility, control and strength.   It isn't perfect, but it's a foundation to greater things.

    1126401571_PWSB6.thumb.jpg.b6fa65f9545993ac18e6e9df6d411905.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    Last group of stills and something I never saw from him at OU.

    -------------------------------------------

    This is where Winfrey might make the most noticeable impact his first year.  Interior pass rush.

    914356376_PWSBS1.thumb.jpg.32426c6334c9b909d24285ca322ae531.jpg

    ----------------------------------------------------------

    Fires to the guards outside shoulder and gets him attack his right shoulder and chest with his left arm.   It isn't much, but if you're a guard you really don't want to lose any ability to control your own inside shoulder.

    873002577_PWSBS2.thumb.jpg.24028d1422e34244a1368b2b44ee6aa9.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------

    PW feels the gaurd being high on his outside shoulder and uses that momentum to roll back to his inside off of the contact balance.  

    1991008915_PWSBS3.thumb.jpg.839f1bc54a1a9ffd49e8cfe256e32376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    It isn't the cleanest footwork, won't fool anyone thinking it's Dwight Freeney.  But it's pretty damn good too.  Not often you see that light footwork from an IDL.   I know I have some reviews of Neil Ferrall trying and failing pretty hard.  Granted Ferrall is 30lbs heavier, have to distinguish between the position groups.   But it's still a big man showing great balance and lateral agility.    Biggest drawback to his move here that needs the most work,  PW should have extended out his right arm away from him "fanned out" and used it sort of like Kobe when he would go to clear space for shooting.       That way the guard can't do what he's about to do....

    1102540379_PWSBS4.thumb.jpg.4048c72303b4a4e8bc794393dd8b0220.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------

    ..... Latch on to your right shoulder and try to rip himself (or you) back into contact.     Not always easy to draw a flag from this moment right here.  But that arm usage is the difference between a player letting the guard fighting for his life and Aaron Donald ending his career early.

    1342211399_PWSBS5.thumb.jpg.75ab9b2be1fe99a3f766025209cfe30c.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------

    It was still damn good and unexpected.  I know, because I saw it, and Perrion's drill mates plus position coaches saw it.    You can see the helmet slaps and then his position coach telling him exactly what I'm typing now - that right arm was all that saved the guard from having a fighters chance at not letting his QB get killed.

    423485646_PWSBS7.thumb.jpg.3194958532dbd3005a66779780691bcf.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 1.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 2.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------

    PW OS 3.jpg

    When I see someone claim a player, position group or side of the ball is being held back by coaching staff, I always make sure to double check my homework before I even think about agreeing.    I've seen a lot of lazy players and excuses.

    It's something casually tossed out that VERY few offer any real evidence or conclusions on., especially with QB's. The Baker saga here is evidence of that alone.

    But the more I watched the more I saw the prototypical NFL 3-tech with Winfrey.   Quick, powerful, violent, shades of technical, and a great motor.     And the more I watched, the more I understood the growing frustration from the OU defensive players as well.   Your coaching staff held you back from being a functional and possible above average unit, aside from putting the damper on individual play which helps lead to bigger NFL paydays.      

    But I now see exactly the glimpses this front office did.  I get it, I get this selection.     Does Perrion solve our IDL issues?  No.   We still have another spot and some depth next to him that needs answering.    But I'm more than willing to say that this is Berry's first value pick attempt at delivering a long term solution along the IDL instead of the recent trend of bringing in 1 year stop-gaps.   I'm excited about this pick, you should be excited about this pick.   And I can't wait to see what the early results and word in camp is, I'd bet the phrase "real deal" gets tossed around a few times.

    The biggest challenge I see with Winfrey in many of the pictures you've shown and on some occasions in the preseason is getting that pad height down at the snap a little more consistently.  Being stronger than your opponent means nothing in the trenches if you forfeit your legs/base to him with a crappy pad height out of stance.  This gets worse, not better as guys tire.  Good news is this can be corrected.

    If they had any Okie Drills early on in camp where he faced Teller or Bitonio - a bad pad height would be a summer school session he'll never forget.

    @flugel said:

    The biggest challenge I see with Winfrey in many of the pictures you've shown and on some occasions in the preseason is getting that pad height down at the snap a little more consistently.  Being stronger than your opponent means nothing in the trenches if you forfeit your legs/base to him with a crappy pad height out of stance.  This gets worse, not better as guys tire.  Good news is this can be corrected.

    If they had any Okie Drills early on in camp where he faced Teller or Bitonio - a bad pad height would be a summer school session he'll never forget.

    Pad height also plays into conditioning.  And you won't find any better trainers and programs on planet Earth than what you can when you're in the NFL.   Given that OU's defensive coaches were less than ideal, I'm willing to get PW sometime.  Like you said, it can be corrected with time, condition and coaching.

  • @texasag1969  You're not getting any screenshots with this post.

     But I'm on game 2 for Kellen vs San Fran.  He started rough, real rough, out of the gate.  But he's battled back in the late 2nd half, hanging in and making some pretty decent throws.  Mentally speaking, he looks ahead of rookie and 2nd year QB's I've seen that are still on rosters with their respective teams.    

     I still love how collected Mond is in the pocket.  Good, tight footwork moving in condensed space, his pocket climb is so-so, but when he does go to run he seems to identify the correct lane to escape, be it laterally or vertically.  

    Of course, as I type this, Kellen forces a really nasty pass downfield into double coverage vs, what looks like, the Niners sitting in quarters to the boundary. 

    I can understand a bit of frustration from the coaching staff, he has been handed a couple gimmies with these chips and underneath releases against cleared out coverages for cheap and easy gains but hasn't taken not-a-one.  

    Still, he isn't so unpolished a product that I would feel comfortable moving on from just yet.  Especially given his short time in the league compared to Sean Mannion.

    I suppose Mullens is a touch of an upgrade at the moment, and the Vikes felt he might be a better long term #2.  But like I said in my previous post, the kid doesn't look so terribly out of place that he doesn't belong either.   There are hints at the mental makeup along with some of the quality measurements Kellen has.

    edit:  Same drive, against another quarters look, puts the ball to the far outside hash before the curl/flat defender can expand and get underneath of the ball.   Good read, but the ball was high and wide... just a poor throw.

    I'm on the fence with this one.  I wouldn't lament losing Kellen off my team, but whoever you're bringing in would have to be a clear upgrade for me.

    edit:  I didn't watch that QB room video, I think symp? Posted about Kellen.   Anything similar in there to what I found?

  • Shameless self bump.  But we'll be in TBB discord, watching the Clemson - Ga Tech game on this rainy Labor Day and probably going over a bit more film from the NFL.

    https://discord.gg/RRW4pgpK  All are welcome.

  • Coaches film is up, working on CAR's offense now.

    All drives 1st qtr drives....

    3 step drops to open and close, trying to take advantage of Woods' early down single high calls.  Opened Pass, run, Pass.   Several RPO builds to get the ball out quick and stress the defense horizontally. Corners sat REALLY aggressive on those.  A couple screens, including a mirrored type of concept and the designed swing out to CMC.    Baker has dropped 2 snaps from the gun that were pretty clean.  

    7 Step drop on a misdirection screen to CMC,  bootleg that was pressured by Bryan.    Any type of 1st down throw that connect was followed up with the interior run.  The idea is to pickup that 1st down, move the chains and get your offense in rhythm.  I can't remember where the stat line was, but the expected point percentage per drive went up like 3x for any offense that achieved a first down on their drives first series. 

    3rd series, Bakers physical limitations in the pocket started to show themselves.   He did a great job hanging tight on a 5 step drop on 1st and 10, coming off his primary, to his secondary and then his 3rd target,  tries to fire to the outside and loses his footing getting his shoulders around.    Also possible Alex Wright (his 2nd snap, by my count) got a pressure on this.   But Baker, as we've seen, can't really step up and launch because he loses sight of his throwing lanes when he isn't playing with exaggerated pocket depth.     

    Credit Baker for trying to hang tough.  Credit Alex Wright for registering a pressure on this pass rush snap.  He actually used his hands for extension quite well, but still lowered his head a bit.     

    Side note, about this play.  It's a nice foreshadowing to the long bomb on the miscommunication by Emerson and Delpit later.  Because DJ Moore was running a speed dig from the X, looks like quarters to the field.  When Moore broke positive, Emerson went to turn him over to Delpit because the #2 to that side stayed in on a chip then delay.   Delpit went back to double the #1 when there was no #2 fast threat (Moore) and got WAY too high on the receiver.    I see why and where the Panthers coaches filed that away for later.   Delpit is only starting his 2nd healthy season, and he's on the same side of the field as a rookie CB.  Good coaching dialing up concepts that force them to communicate and "think".  Also, I know they're from LSU so the comparison is natural, but GAWD DAMN... I can't help but see a bit of Jamal Adams when I watch Delpit.    

    Baker starting to get locked onto reads pre snap.  Missed CMC flat twice now for big gains.  Defense is starting to take the ball possibly going by them for granted.  Because they're picking up their assignments in man and zone, but getting eyes back onto Baker a bit too fast and for a bit too long.   Then again, these are the sort of things I pointed out were happening as early as the 2020 Ravens game, then the big one was the Pats game last season.

    Baker Misses CMC on a HB choice 1st down the very next drive.  And it was there too for a cheap 5-6 yards.   So far, Mcadoo has stayed aggressive, coming out and throwing on 1st downs and shooting for controlled passes that would get him in a shooters rhythm.    I was wrong, CMC might not be Bakers best friend.  Because the way to control MC from hurting your defense also happens to be the same way you play Baker - heavy zone looks with variable drop depths and leverages. 

    McAdo still firing away on 1st down.   Next drive, comes out with a sort of yankee concept.  Baker does a good job not bombing away an INT, but Danzel shuts down DJ Moore as the 2nd option.  Pass rush gets home.   Hey! He finally got CMC the ball flat against a cover 2!   

    The bust for the big gain to the TE early.   It looks like Delpit is looking for his call from Johnny J.   Some problems here though... the boundary corner is in man.  Denzel gets on the field late and covers the far #2, so that leaves Delpit and Young Jok between the #2 (TE) and CMC from the backfield.    I see Delpit expand in a hook/curl, like he's expecting safety help to that hash.   But the problem with cover 3 vs a 2x2 set is just that, you're weak right down the seams.  If this was Match 3, then Delpit would be picking up the #2 past a 8-9 yard vertical.   So I think, when you toss in the bad communication between him and Emerson earlier and later, that Delpit isn't getting his mind right where it needs to be.   There are things that need cleaned up on the defense, and the biggest one is understanding primary and secondary coverage assignments.    The fundamental stuff needs to be polished, because CAR isn't doing anything fancy here.  

    Baker, per the usual, was getting his eyes to a boundary throw and was really fortunate with this.  For some reason he didn't even bother eyeing up the late arriving DB, which would naturally gravitate to being a communication issue alone right there.     It's just a college level bust, at the NFL level.   Not to take anything away from Baker, but Brady Quinn could have done this.   It's like getting birdie on a par 4, but you took a mulligan.  Sorry, but you don't get credit for gimmies.

    Here's the recap on 1 half of Panthers football from the offense.

    5 drives - 20 yards of total offense and 1 INT

    1 drive - 8 plays for 75 yards of offense and 1 TD.   In that drive, you had 1 play for 50 yards and 7 plays for 25 yards.

    That's Johnny Manziel levels of efficiency.  

    What I've learned from the 1st half with Carolina so far....

    - Nothing.

    Not to toot my own horn here, but they called the game almost exactly like I said.   Lots of early down short drops, the screen game, trying to attack the perimeter and protect Baker.  Only 5 and 7 step drops on ball action and the screen game.    The Panthers Oline might be the worst in the NFL, somehow they've gotten worse than last year.   As a result, their offensive coaching staff is handcuffed because you have a piss poor OL, and a QB who needs the extra time to be reliably effective.    Only 2 downfield connections - 1 for 16 yards on a 7 man protection, and the other on a busted coverage with a cheap throw.  That's all they could get because it's all they could earn.  The Browns Dline won just about every snap.  

    EDIT: removed this part...

    - Woods is getting creative with his pass rush looks.  Especially given the redundancy in our safety roles.   Neither Delpit or Johnny J are great center fielders.  But both aren't terrible either.   They do great work with a bunch of other assignments and in the box.   For those complaining about a lack of aggressiveness, I think @sdbacker80, probably Nickers, and @dutch-oven, there was even a call where he kicked Myles inside, dropped Alex Wright and Anthony Walker over the TE and got a sack sending Johnny J off the weakside edge matched with some tight man coverage from our corners.   I saw a great blend of restraint, understanding that the front 4 didn't need much help, and a "fuck it, send it" because our corners were up to the task.  

    The defense was a busted communication away from a 1st half shut out.   Clean that up, execute and you blank your opponent for a full half.   I like that this defense has something to hang it's hat on which can be improved with time, coaching and practice.

  • Re: The coverage busts that lead to TD's.   

    The first one to the TE.

    - Delpit is waiting for the Call in from Johnny J.   

    - Denzel is running onto the field late, JJ3 gives him his tag and it looks like it's a match call over the #2

    - Boundary corner is locked up in man.  

    - Neither Delpit or JOK carry the #2 (TE) up the seam, so he just sits wide open.  

    - Delpit expands in a hook/curl like he's playing a 3 zone.   Which is a rare call for a 2x2 set.  Because those seam throws put any single high safety in such a bind, you almost can't win.  

    - Likely a giant miscommunication between JJ3 and Delpit.  Grant should have been the one to carry that TE down the seam, like in a match 3.  If the #2, especially to the boundary, stems vertical, the safety picks him up downfield.  

    *****

    TD to Robbie Anderson

    - Looks like quarters. 

    - Denzel matches his #1 to the boundary

    - Delpit is staring down the lane playing a "clue" between the backside and the frontside #2 & #3.   If the #3 doesn't press vertical, he reads for a vertical #2 and continues to float to the strongside hash. 

    - JJ3 picks up the frontside #2 in man at 10 yards and drives on the cut.  That's what you do in a qtr/qtr.   At a certain point you have to declare your coverage and your man.  You could have checked the #1 and fallen off late to the #2, almost like a 2 trap.  But it's rare and risky that you'll see defenses have that sort of switch past a magic number... which is usually 8ish yards.    

    - Newsie freezes his feet like He's expecting JJ3 to pick up the #1 going vertical on the post...  which means he would be falling off to....? absolutely nobody. 

    Probably going to put this 2nd bust on Newsome.  Everybody else appears to be playing their role correctly except him.  

    I'll have screen shots and route diagrams for you guys tomorrow.  

  • Currently watching in disbelief as the Hawks O coordinator is putting the game in Geno’s hands 
     

    No Beef with Joe.  I thought this opener was a belt high fastball and he put it in the bleachers.  

    A couple comments:

    -First, thank you for the series by series breakdown of what I thought was a poor performance from Baker.  I’m sick and tired of the excuses. 

    -The John Johnson disguised pressure was a thing of beauty.  I definitely didn’t criticize Joes lack of aggressiveness this game.  But If Joe goes all Mike Glennon 2020 gameplan and let’s Joe Flacco sit in a pocket I might have a problem…then again I think we can win with four next week. 

    -I thought Delpit was peeking in the backfield on the long TD…he’s gotta have better situational awareness and know Baker has to put it up and take some shots downfield.

  • Currently watching in disbelief as the Hawks O coordinator is putting the game in Geno’s hands 
     

    No Beef with Joe.  I thought this opener was a belt high fastball and he put it in the bleachers.  

    A couple comments:

    -First, thank you for the series by series breakdown of what I thought was a poor performance from Baker.  I’m sick and tired of the excuses. 

    -The John Johnson disguised pressure was a thing of beauty.  I definitely didn’t criticize Joes lack of aggressiveness this game.  But If Joe goes all Mike Glennon 2020 gameplan and let’s Joe Flacco sit in a pocket I might have a problem…then again I think we can win with four next week. 

    -I thought Delpit was peeking in the backfield on the long TD…he’s gotta have better situational awareness and know Baker has to put it up and take some shots downfield.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    -First, thank you for the series by series breakdown of what I thought was a poor performance from Baker.  I’m sick and tired of the excuses. 

    Oh, believe me, he missed some gems....

    2 of the 3 on the same drive for, what would have been, touchdowns.

    BakeMiss2.thumb.jpg.1e426fb6249d7a3447271121cfd9ba44.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BakeMiss1.thumb.jpg.8b3c6ebbac5c524992a461319d0d4da6.jpg

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    BakeMiss3.thumb.jpg.96d984aba8a1a9ce1bc12e6fb75deddc.jpg

    Apart from the 2 busted coverages, it was a brutal day for both Baker and the CAR Oline.   And barring major weekly improvement or a trade of personnel, it isn't going to be getting any better for them anytime soon.

  • Alright, so let's tackle this one play a post.

    Pre-snap highlights some of the communication issues this secondary had on the day.

    Baker501.thumb.jpg.abf7132482f5522a70b9a1d31fcf8e9a.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------

    Browns get a nickel on the field WAY late.

    - I swear, Delpit is pointing back expecting either JJ3 or Denzel to be behind him down the row.   Not sure why it would be Denzel.  In any late sub or situation like this, I'm putting ANY DB who wants on the field over the #2 and telling him MEG.  At this point, you're almost too late to make any real call behind that and pointing.

    Baker502.thumb.jpg.f90c5b00ef9ebd34173458b938ca8550.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Johnny J gives Denzel his marching orders.    But he backs up and leverages himself between the field hash and the numbers. Almost like he's playing split field quarters.

    1364965417_Baker503.thumb.jpg.e87f581084759e65809d897aa6cf5f43.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Here are some of the odd parts on this communication breakdown.

    - Boundary corner is playing man

    - Field CB's are playing qtr/qtr.   So if the #2 stems vertical, Denzel picks him up.     JJ is playing like he's read matching 2 to 1, except his leverage is ALL wrong if he wants to do that.  No way would he be able to recover and help on the #1 to his side that close to the hash.     Looks more like he's playing a  "clue" that you see vs trips.  If your 2/3 don't push vertical, you look for something backside...

    - Delpit and JoK are more than content to hit in a hook and curl flat zone

    1502067048_Baker504.thumb.jpg.87c95c1f8a08b1d509e8f374397bd811.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    - Denzel picks up the #2 vertical.  

    - JJ3 eyes backside and goes "oh shit, there's nobody home".

    - Delpit is still expanding curl/flat like this is some type of cover 3.  In multiple cover 3 calls, you work curl TO flat... that's how it's coached.   In this case, the corner would still continue in his deep 1/3, but like, what some call "country" cover 3, the CB would then read the #2 vertical and would "bend" in to the numbers to deny a seam throw.  For the life of me I remember either Jeff Okudah or Damon Arnette running this type of defense and getting a PBU with it.  I tried to find it on Youtube, but I just can't.  Maybe another time? 

    Edit: found a match 3 diagram of what I'm referring to. 

    3deeppattern5_medium.png.301f23229a67d4d9a5a99ec4097d891b.png

    1101413208_Baker505.thumb.jpg.9fcab2cbe8c26897dfec93acc9d0add3.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    This is the end result where Baker gets a freebie.

    268615649_Baker506.thumb.jpg.d4203706a1eb1a5f3713f1c4ee2ce3aa.jpg

    A few things about this play.

    - Regardless of the coverage called, it's a bust because of communication.

    - There are forms of 2 read, mostly notable with coach Patterson and TCU, that play like match quarters, but also have a functioning "Robber" around where JJ3 was leveraging himself.   But that couldn't account for the lack of numbers to the passing strength. So this becomes a bit of trial and error on who was playing what.     I'm sure, whatever call both JJ3 and Delpit thought they had, they ran it correctly.  The problem is, they're running two different calls.   Letting a #2 run upfield like that screams some form of expecting safety help.   And given how often cover 6 is called with the 1/2  safety to the field, I think that's what Delpit believed he was playing. 

    - There's just too much miscommunication here.    In certain forms of cover 3, the weakside safety matches the #2 vertical while the strong safety and corresponding LB or DB (speaking in terms of passing numbers strength vs not) walls off the numbers side #2 and carries him vertical.    It's the single high counter to 4 verticals.    There are some calls like that at the pro level to, one made popular by Coach Carroll in Seattle called "soft sky"  (Cover 3 sky, "soft" tagging how the #2 is played vertically) 

     I ACTUALLY found that play, to give you an example of what I'm talking about here.   In cover 3, this type of 4 verticals look means these seam throws are open.  But this check the Seahawks run means, that curl/flat defender McDougal would have been, now means he carries that #2 seam upfield.   Cam Newton was baited hard into throwing this pick.  Starts at the 45 second mark.

      There's also the possibility, given how aggressive the boundary corner is, that Delpit was expecting some type of roll safety behind this CB sitting cloud?     I'm not entirely sure which call was blown here, because there are several to choose from.  So I'm actually scratching my head a bit and wondering where Woods' head would have been and building from there.  The cover 3 match makes more sense, IMHO.      JJ3 wears the call helmet for the secondary, so he's the leader.  If there is a communication failure, while yes it is player specific, as the defacto leader, it also reflects on you.  Your guys HAVE to be all on the same page, or dumb shit like this happens.

    - Either way, for game 1 against a questionable Panthers team, there were far too many defensive breakdowns for my liking.  And they all stemmed from miscommunication between the safeties themselves, and to their respective corners.  

  • This one was a good deal more straight forward.    

    The 75 yard bomb to Robbie Anderson.....

    BRA1.thumb.jpg.ef7a02b24622d1b3e2505f946d76bc8e.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BRA2.thumb.jpg.49f8b5b4a4f1301ae48e0e4042339f30.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BRA3.thumb.jpg.3c34e3add1ea8b323786fa6cf46b192f.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    BRA4.thumb.jpg.e1e7e7d0ed6e3ff86a81a4c648dac840.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BRA5.thumb.jpg.f3f0b476202c42a71f60ced251681efc.jpg

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    BRA6.thumb.jpg.50707229ae5647b35d5d1fc43b59bd29.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BRA7.thumb.jpg.dc8108389bcc67d0376acf385b001f32.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    BRA8.thumb.jpg.cd9d5c5aeec29926149f7f2fca165950.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Long and short of this one.  In qtr/qtr like that, Newesome stays on all of the #1.   Only exception being for something like 2 trap, which would mean the #2 going out he could jump, turning the #1 over to JJ3. But RARELY if ever does that landmark fall past 5-6 yards, and almost never when your safety is that shallow.   Meaning this is quarters outside the whole way, and Johnny J is reading 3 flat to 2 vertical, and the #2 is who he picks up past 8 yards.   It's all about eyes and chemistry because you don't have time to yell and process a response in space this condensed.

     For reasons I don't understand, Newsome chops his feet when he see's JJ3 cross his eyes, like he expected his safety to pickup Anderson vertical and he falls off to the #2 going out.   Even if that were the call, there's no way you'd make that switch at this depth.   

     I believe JJ3 was playing this correctly, but this is what bothers me - Newsome turns around when Anderson is in the endzone and starts getting a bit wild in conveying VERY vocally how upset he is.    Which either means he didn't understand the call, or he didn't get the right call. 

    Given his attitude on the sidelines.... found here.......

    Newsie.thumb.jpg.ade0f253b6e99ff59e94f0fdab12528e.jpg

    Head down

    Quiet

    Watching tablet along with JJ3

     That all leads me to believe Greg understood the problem in the communication was his read on the design.   All that aside, there is a trend on both of these busts I don't like and absolutely needs to be cleaned up, and that is the calls and communication that begins and is disseminated from John Johnson to the other DB's.    You're the leader, if you think there are calls your DB's didn't get, aren't playing correctly or working their reads as they should, then it needs to get handled immediately between you, them and your coaches.    

     I'd expect renewed focus this upcoming week on the fundamentals of constant communication.  Because if I see more bullshit like this against Joe Flacco and a questionable Oline, then I'm going to start asking questions about our personnel's ability, and our coaches ability to make sure the correct calls are installed.  

  • Last one for the night.

    The coaches dialed up a great opening drive, and some creative designs in the running game.  I'll get to those another day, but this was supposed to be the night cap that ended the drive.  Or at the very worst, put the Browns knocking on the door to a TD.   It was a gift from Stef, poorly accepted and executed by Jacoby.

    A little tell or clue on coverage.  

    - When you see inside shade to your solo 

    - Outside shade to your #3 and #2  

    That means you should have it in your head that DB's expecting help to the inside.  Unless they're overplaying negative breaks, which would be more common in tighter clock situations before the half.  

    JBmiss1.thumb.jpg.efae4e483ba78a3da35885b722980962.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Man coverage stays true.    Cover 1 with a low hole from the MIKE.  So the weakside backer picks up Hunt in man. Of course they can have a call between the backers where, if Hunt immediately releases across the face of his QB, the MIKE would track the RB in man and the WILL would drop to a low hole.

    JBmiss2.thumb.jpg.c410d43879c4da3df5b88d4138266bfb.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This is where we start to see Jacoby fucking this play up.

     AC squares up the CB with an insight jump, then he continues to use that momentum to rip inside of the corner and carry upfield.  As a result from bad contact and GREAT work from AC with his hands throwing away the DB's arms, our newly minted WR has now won his route to the inside.  

     A couple rules from this type of play when you're reading single high.

     - The WR is responsible for beating his man and protecting his QB from the CB.  So if he wins inside, he has to use his body to shield off the DB should he recover back inside.  

    - The QB is responsible for protecting the WR from the middle field safety.    This means you have to lock your eyes down the middle and hold that DB there while this route develops.   Giving the MFS a glance then immediately turning while your WR is still negative depth from the CB is a great way to lose this rep.

    - That's the point of having a great receiver solo'd up like this.  You want to get him on CB's that simply can't matchup.  The overwhelming majority of the time, QB's want to target this X.

    JBmiss3.thumb.jpg.1053a873e6662276860209cea7062b21.jpg

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    And this is what I mean.  AC has clearly broken from the CB, but Jacoby's eyes have ruined how this throw went.  If that safety is still sitting down the hash for another half to full second, THEN JB turns to deliver, I'm willing to be this was a touchdown.  Protection was good, so no excuse there.

    JBmiss4.thumb.jpg.f12efc84e0570a92589a2bd70bd92c9d.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Now, had Jacoby seen the DB fall, and with the internal clock in his head, know that he didn't hold the MFS long enough (therefore selling out this throw) then he could have ripped it to a shorter space on more of a line drive.  That would have given you a big completion, a 1st down conversion and the shot at AC possibly making a house call if he breaks a tackle.  Because at this point, it's Coop vs the safety getting him to the ground.

    JBmiss5.thumb.jpg.76458c21bff4419b73982485f347d7e3.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    Instead we get a high arch like it's going to be dropped in the bread basket from a helicopter.   Admittedly, it would have worked perfectly fine had he held the god damn safety.

    JBmiss6.thumb.jpg.65bc12b214edae72a48f55c64c69de62.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    As a result, AC chops his feet for a fraction of a second, and the DB's path squeezes him a step outside as opposed to just continuing on a straight line underneath the ball flight.  

    JBmiss7.thumb.jpg.20c2bd464de49d251adcebfbf8f0c7ec.jpg

     Believe me when I say, from a play calling perspective, this was a treat of an opening series.  But even though you call it right, doesn't mean it gets executed that way.     I was critical of Baker about this same type of non-cerebral and hurried play style.  Almost like you're too anxious and can't get your head back around to snap on the throw.   Because some proper eye discipline turns this into the TD it should have been and, on top of the 1st half defense, likely busts this game open early.  

      It's the NFL equivalent of the "You had ONE job" meme, and JB messed up his job on this play.  

     I need more from Jacoby.  Not a whole hell of a lot more, but this is a shot most NFL QB's should and would be making.  These are the throws he has to hit if this team is to continue winning low scoring contests.  The Browns thankfully got the dub, but stuff like this comes back to bite you in the ass at some point.   

  • @flugel  the cover 2 twist the Bears ran that I mentioned.  

    Their typical cover 2 

    1456400392_CHIC2.thumb.png.ec83d8b7cdcfb9ed066462c5b3c4e7f3.png

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The cover 2 variant with the 3 man rush and the line drop playing under the #3 to the low hole.

    - Show the hands.  Show your previous call.

    CHIC2A.thumb.jpg.aa750b7d166a51144522caecaf97a150.jpg

    -------------------------------------------------------------------

    Add the twist that catches Jacoby by surprise....

    CHIC2B.thumb.jpg.f04b4a4a12a0ec21f80823ddcf3655a8.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    3 Tech falls off after carrying Njoku upfield a bit, and then looks for work in the replaced zone or anything working horizontal/under.       This caught Jacoby off guard and he had to slide off the spot to find his receiver underneath.

    CHIC2C.thumb.jpg.1d85ab32942e19e01e730dc8e72be2da.jpg

    Just a sweet little change-up to playing your classic C2 flavor.    

    Speaking of cover 2, going over that game losing drive and a couple of Woods' calls when it mattered most.   I'll be back with more on that.

  • 3/3

    I was encouraged by JB's work against single high man along with that above with those split field coverages (two different coverages, split by the middle of the field.  Cover 6 is an example.  Cover 4 to one side, cover 2 to the other)

    This REALLY helped show me a new side of JB and to give me some ease.

    - A type of dig/switch concept along with having that #3 inline TE running a deep over.

    JBvC1a.thumb.jpg.b4d1a2b2d818d34f0e51c6ec66d5f063.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    - This play was almost fucked at the snap.  The DB sitting over the TE had the green light to go and the TE went to help the RT downblock during the ball fake. 

    JBvC1b.thumb.jpg.3d6a78de2ef70310600e5d515dec56bb.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    - Jacoby plants his back foot, trusts his back and TE to recover and senses pressure.   Cool and collectively he starts his pocket climb as pressure is directed past him.    The whole time not dropping his eyes.

    JBvC1c.thumb.jpg.3e7dc56c19e14eb7790334b7da97ccac.jpg

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    - While climbing, Jacoby is working towards the pressure side expecting his 1 on 1 with Gieseki.  He reads man, but the TE staying to help his LT means the coverage he would have drawn is now free to sit underneath that deep over.  So his primary is technically doubled covered now.     But he still identifies man coverage and works well in tight spaces.

    JBvC1d.thumb.jpg.f11da3c73263e4fb05b9d83b5e1ad963.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    JB resets to his right knowing the middle of the field will be vacant at intermediate depth.   Only issue is that RG crossing his face is in the throwing window.  So he has to hang tight, make his sutbles moves and anticipate his throwing point/window/lane.

    JBvC1e.thumb.jpg.cfeb702f941e758c5798dee29c1b75f4.jpg

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    - The RG has cleared past Jacoby and he's hanging out past the right shoulder of the center.  Finds his windows and fires to Devante' Parker stemming his route down and inside.

    JBvC1f.thumb.jpg.8c792643aa0a747bfd5c7b49ed9bbdc4.jpg

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    No further words needed here past the yellow.

    JBvC1G.thumb.jpg.fddfc5f840f43d359294bd8324ba488d.jpg

    Yes, the post Baker era is going to start... weird.   I get it and I get the nerves.    But I'm here to tell you, don't be afraid of this team finding success, and don't be afraid of this team starting Brissett.          

    Of course the health of himself and his Oline is also a given.  But I see a QB who understands the things unfolding in front of him and plays much more like a capable traditional pocket passer.   His eyes don't drop needlessly and his ability to survey the field from tighter spaces already looks  a fair bit better than Mayfields.  Which is sad because that's not something I want to say. Yes, does processing speed need to be increased? Sure.    Time and reps might be just what he needs.     

    It's incredibly possible Baker comes back here and kicks our ass week 1.  It's the NFL.     The Panthers are also setting up there offense in a manner that does exploit ours - interior running game that builds play action.  Both things Baker has shown the need to have in order to operate.  If the IDL was where I'd like to see it, I'd bet money Browns by 10 week 1, but I can't because I actually gamble and tend to make educated decisions.

    By that same mold, this defensive staff knows Bakers weaknesses like their own.  And I'd venture anything we've seen our opponents throw at him previously will all be on the table week 1.    To me it comes down to talent and execution.   The Panthers have the resources to out talent us at IDL,  the Browns have the resources to slow down the Panthers passing game with our superior secondary.   Great contrasting of styles.

    But do not be afraid of Jacoby leading this team.  I know this won't be popular to say, I'm beginning to see evidence that would help me build a genuine belief that he can/could put up comparable numbers to Baker, should he digest the language, understand the structure, and begin to develop a decent rapport with his receivers.    Flirting with a 62% completion rate, 240ypg and 11:6 ish maybe  12:7 TD-INT ratio is looking REALLY realistic at this moment.  It's because of my watching the last day or so, that I know the Browns won't go after Jimmy G should Deshaun be out more than 6 games.   This front office knows JB can handle a decent dose of this offense if given the time to execute.

    The plays I've shown here are a sample of what I've wanted Baker to do routinely with this team for so long.  And I'm not mincing words when I say, if he had, he would very likely still be QB'ing this team.

    @tiamat63 said:

     I know this won't be popular to say, I'm beginning to see evidence that would help me build a genuine belief that he can/could put up comparable numbers to Baker, should he digest the language, understand the structure, and begin to develop a decent rapport with his receivers. 

    This breakdown took me a handful of hours.  For some, it might just a few screen shots and a few paragraphs.  But I don't think most people appreciate the amount of time it takes just to produce even that.   Starting from scratch, watching, charting, rewatching, recharting, doing markups, step by step developments then finalizing along with typing out the bullet points.

    @nickers I deleted your post, but I forget it was quoted by Tex.  Screen shotted that, but had to remind you that you responded with this....nickers.jpg.184b3be3b466447f62155c0af5e689d6.jpg

    ....... which took you all of about 45 seconds for you.      There was no "Hmm, ok good points, here's why I disagree".  No acknowledgement of the time I put in either to try and maybe convey some knowledge.    Just calling my work "bullshit" and moving on.  

    Well I felt the need to update you through week 3. 

    Jacoby:

    66.30% comp

    4 TD's

    1 INT       4:1 ratio

    208 YPG

    6.69 AVG

    Baker through 3 games in 2020.

    64.36%

    5 TD's

    2 INTS      2.5:1 ratio

    188YPG

    7.03 avg

    I'm not here to rub my assessment, which appears to have been pretty god damn spot on, all up in your face.    I'm only here to use you as an example. 

    Should I, or anyone else for that matter, do the courtesy of breakdowns on this board in an attempt to help raise the discussion level of this group and add something positive the the environment,   unless somebody has something worth adding to the discussion, either avoid posting entirely or simply say "good work" and move on.  

    Browns 2-1 with Jacoby Brissett under center.

  • @tiamat63 Brissett may not be an elite talent, but his performance has been ranging from good enough to excellent so far. Also seems he is improving each week, as he builds a rapport with his receivers. Cooper had his first 100-yard game since 2016 yesterday. Njoku played as well as I remember seeing him. If JB keeps this up, it's going to be damn hard to bench him for Watson when his suspension is over.  

    Keep the good stuff coming, thanks!

  • The offense isn't even a concern. The defense on the other hand...

    Pitsburg has one of the worst O-lines in football, but managed to neutralize our pass rush for 99% of the game. And after rightfully being criticized for the plays they gave up the first two games, our secondary now only focussed on preventing getting beat over the top.

    If this doesn't improve, better teams and QBs are going to have a field day against us. 

  • The offense isn't even a concern. The defense on the other hand...

    Pitsburg has one of the worst O-lines in football, but managed to neutralize our pass rush for 99% of the game. And after rightfully being criticized for the plays they gave up the first two games, our secondary now only focussed on preventing getting beat over the top.

    If this doesn't improve, better teams and QBs are going to have a field day against us. 

    @korsou-dawg said:


    Pitsburg has one of the worst O-lines in football, but managed to neutralize our pass rush for 99% of the game. 

    If this doesn't improve, better teams and QBs are going to have a field day against us. 

    Pretty much a 'to be expected' type of mentality on this one.  

    Outside of Myles, we have no additional pass rush from anywhere along the line unless Clowney is back.

    - Wright is a rookie that has 1 pressure on a ton of snaps.

    - Taven Bryan was an RAS warrior, not so much a quality football player.

    - Double T, god love him for the Buckeye he is, was a tweener even in college.

    - Jordan Elliot is a role player and not much more.

    - The rest of the edge group outside of Myles and Clowney is incredibly 'who?'.

     There was a reason I was so excited about any potential that Perrion Winfrey may have shown, and it really was paralleled by how the Rams built their defensive front last year.     You have the value on the IDL right up the middle with gap pluggers (Gaines) you have an elite interior pass rusher (Donald) and then an elite edge rusher (Von)  

     In the modern NFL, you need two pass rushers anymore.   Having Clowney across from Myles is great, don't get me wrong.  But if PW was to emerge as a rushing threat from the 3 tech?  That's how I prefer to build my front.   Because dealing with pressure from the edge AND IDL makes things a whole lot more difficult for coaches and QB's as opposed to just edge pressure alone from both sides.

     Sadly this team hasn't put any decent picks into IDL for any reason the last 5 years.  Top 100 picks spent there are Jordan Elliot and..... that's it.     So unless you get quality players over in free agency or trade, if those mid round picks don't hit, you're in a world of hurt with receipts to show that you didn't really put priority on the position to begin with.

     ATL might not be able to exploit this group, but the Pats sure as hell can, have and will continue to.