Skip to content

WR

The Browns Board
61 11 2.5k 1
  • @orion said:

    For me, on kickoffs, whenever you can take a knee in the end zone, just do that and we'll go to the 25.  Too many penalties happen on returns.

    Agree with you on that.  

    It is the punt returns where he can flip the field.  He secures the ball well and has had a great punt return average as well. 

    He has the best short area quickness and wiggle of any of the WRs on the roster…by far actually.  So I fully expect him to get touches there- short passing game. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    It is the punt returns where he can flip the field.

    That would be gravy.  For me, I just want a guy that can catch punts really well and is smart.  Someone who knows when he should and should not field the ball.  JoJo Natson was that type of guy.  He knew the rules that pertained to that part of the game, and when to apply them.  He was always hurt for us, but when he played I thought of him as a professional at his position of return specialist.  

  • Grant is the punt returner.  Who cares about kickoffs?  Anybody can stand back there and watch it go out of the endzone. D'Ernest would be fine as a kick returner.  Hunt or Chubb would do well.

    Why teams have gone to just playing scrubs on ST I don't know.  You want them to be special, mix in some starters.  I remember guys like Matthews and Turner on ST all the time.

  • Coop

    DPJ

    Bell

    Schwartz

    Grant (pro bowl return specialist)

    Camp battle of who beats out Ja'Marcus Bradley...(to become inactive ?) Weston, Wims, Woods II or Harley

    Stay away from the hammy wraps ? & were good

    @gumby73 said:

    Coop.....NO unless the game is on the line then a HC decision 

    DPJ......probably NO same as above. 

    Bell.....maybe.

    Schwartz.....could be a choice.

    Grant (pro bowl return specialist).....also a candidate. 

    Camp battle of who beats out Ja'Marcus Bradley...(to become inactive ?) Weston, Wims, Woods II or Harley......a plan ?!

    Stay away from the hammy wraps ? & were good

    It will be interesting to see who gets the touches in camp, preseason and the regular season games.  Somebody has to field punts and be back there on kickoffs.

    It brings some more interest in the kicking game besides who is doing the kicking.   The hidden yardage part of the game. 

    GO BROWNS  !

  • Grant is the punt returner.  Who cares about kickoffs?  Anybody can stand back there and watch it go out of the endzone. D'Ernest would be fine as a kick returner.  Hunt or Chubb would do well.

    Why teams have gone to just playing scrubs on ST I don't know.  You want them to be special, mix in some starters.  I remember guys like Matthews and Turner on ST all the time.

    @ballpeen said:

    Grant is the punt returner.  Who cares about kickoffs?  Anybody can stand back there and watch it go out of the endzone. D'Ernest would be fine as a kick returner.  Hunt or Chubb would do well.

    Why teams have gone to just playing scrubs on ST I don't know.  You want them to be special, mix in some starters.  I remember guys like Matthews and Turner on ST all the time.

    I remember when Lou Holtz at Notre Dame (way back when) often used starters to do punts and kickoff returns.   I guess it depends on how much you rate the kicking game.   Nice if they could do a TD out of it like Eric Metcalf versus the steelrz.       😆

  • @ballpeen said:

    Grant is the punt returner.  Who cares about kickoffs?  Anybody can stand back there and watch it go out of the endzone. D'Ernest would be fine as a kick returner.  Hunt or Chubb would do well.

    Why teams have gone to just playing scrubs on ST I don't know.  You want them to be special, mix in some starters.  I remember guys like Matthews and Turner on ST all the time.

    I remember when Lou Holtz at Notre Dame (way back when) often used starters to do punts and kickoff returns.   I guess it depends on how much you rate the kicking game.   Nice if they could do a TD out of it like Eric Metcalf versus the steelrz.       😆

    @mjp28 said:

    I remember when Lou Holtz at Notre Dame (way back when) often used starters to do punts and kickoff returns.   I guess it depends on how much you rate the kicking game.   Nice if they could do a TD out of it like Eric Metcalf versus the steelrz.       😆

    It would be nice.  I'd take a average of 10-15 yards on punt returns.

  • Coop

    DPJ

    Bell

    Schwartz

    Grant (pro bowl return specialist)

    Camp battle of who beats out Ja'Marcus Bradley...(to become inactive ?) Weston, Wims, Woods II or Harley

    Stay away from the hammy wraps ? & were good

    @gumby73 said:

    Grant (pro bowl return specialist)

    @nickers said:

    Don't forget Jakeem Grant...

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Grant (pro bowl return specialist)

    @nickers said:

    Don't forget Jakeem Grant...

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    @orion said:

     I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.(he was found to slow, getting up to his top speed)   I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    .Felton may only see his next seat on this teams PS...?

    please use youtube to watch this..

    Grant it..

    he don't like making fair catches (caused a bench clearing at Bengals, getting popped to early to catch a punt)

    he will drive fans nutz bringing the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs

    he is scared of no one, running crossing routes/slants over the middle

    he's a pesky little speed gnat, that's going to make this team

     https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GranJa00.htm  

  • @orion said:

     I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.(he was found to slow, getting up to his top speed)   I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    .Felton may only see his next seat on this teams PS...?

    please use youtube to watch this..

    Grant it..

    he don't like making fair catches (caused a bench clearing at Bengals, getting popped to early to catch a punt)

    he will drive fans nutz bringing the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs

    he is scared of no one, running crossing routes/slants over the middle

    he's a pesky little speed gnat, that's going to make this team

     https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GranJa00.htm  

    @gumby73 said:

    .Felton may only see his next seat on this teams PS...?

    please use youtube to watch this..

    Grant it..

    he don't like making fair catches (caused a bench clearing at Bengals, getting popped to early to catch a punt)

    he will drive fans nutz bringing the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs

    he is scared of no one, running crossing routes/slants over the middle

    he's a pesky little speed gnat, that's going to make this team

     https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GranJa00.htm  

    first good hands. 

    Great vision…makes a cut…doesn’t dance…and then uses his elite speed.  I don’t see a negative yardage guy in the return game, certainly confirmed by his punt return avg. too
     

    He’s a great tool in the tool box. We got vertical threats and route runners I don’t think he’s that, but we need wiggle and a special teams guy. Check and check.  

  • @gumby73 said:

    Grant (pro bowl return specialist)

    @nickers said:

    Don't forget Jakeem Grant...

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    @orion said:

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    Woods maybe winds up on the taxi squad..

  • Zombo said:

    Is this 1973?

    Z

    Taxi squad=practice squad... Tell me the difference... Yeah.... That's what I thought! ?

  • Zombo said:

    Is this 1973?

    Z

    Taxi squad=practice squad... Tell me the difference... Yeah.... That's what I thought! ?

    @nickers said:

    Taxi squad=practice squad... Tell me the difference...

    It's the Uber Squad now.  

    The last 2 drafts have produced 4 wr's.  (and Felton)  And undrafted Weston looks good getting off the bus.  That's a lotta utes.  The non utes would be Cooper 8yrs and Grant 7 yrs.   So, if we don't keep Grant we'd have 1 seasoned vet.  

  • @gumby73 said:

    Grant (pro bowl return specialist)

    @nickers said:

    Don't forget Jakeem Grant...

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    @orion said:

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    I think Felton might have a hard time making the team.

    He largely failed as a returner.  As a back he won't make the team unless we move somebody.  I did read he was working exclusively at receiver yesterday...but some guys were out ...The days of lower round draft picks being pretty much a lock to make the roster for a few years are over.  I am sure that if he doesn't make the final cuts we would put him on the practice squad if we can.  But, this is early.  Things can change once we start hitting real camp and start to play the exhibitions.  

    To expand on running back, i just don't see any way he makes it in that room with Chubb, Hunt, Johnson, and Ford in there. None of those guys are going to get cut, so unless we trade one, Felton is in for a tough go.

  • @orion said:

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    I think Felton might have a hard time making the team.

    He largely failed as a returner.  As a back he won't make the team unless we move somebody.  I did read he was working exclusively at receiver yesterday...but some guys were out ...The days of lower round draft picks being pretty much a lock to make the roster for a few years are over.  I am sure that if he doesn't make the final cuts we would put him on the practice squad if we can.  But, this is early.  Things can change once we start hitting real camp and start to play the exhibitions.  

    To expand on running back, i just don't see any way he makes it in that room with Chubb, Hunt, Johnson, and Ford in there. None of those guys are going to get cut, so unless we trade one, Felton is in for a tough go.

    @ballpeen said:

    I think Felton might have a hard time making the team.

    He largely failed as a returner.  As a back he won't make the team unless we move somebody.  I did read he was working exclusively at receiver yesterday...but some guys were out ...The days of lower round draft picks being pretty much a lock to make the roster for a few years are over.  I am sure that if he doesn't make the final cuts we would put him on the practice squad if we can.  But, this is early.  Things can change once we start hitting real camp and start to play the exhibitions.  

    To expand on running back, i just don't see any way he makes it in that room with Chubb, Hunt, Johnson, and Ford in there. None of those guys are going to get cut, so unless we trade one, Felton is in for a tough go.

    Felton didn’t make the team last year as a RB and his few highlights and touches he had were at WR and as a return man. 
     

    Grant takes away the return option. So it is Felton….Schwartz, the Rookies and possibly a veteran free agent (maybe) for the 5 and 6 spot. 

  • @orion said:

    He's on our roster.  But who does he unseat?  Woods?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 this year.  Or Felton?  The guy they drafted in Rd 6 last year.  Please not Weston who is 9 inches taller than Grant.  

    I always thought that the Felton pick was to be our returner, pass catching back, slot receiver type player.  I mean, he's the reason JoJo Natson was let go.  Felton though, did not appear to exude confidence while tracking a punt.

    Woods maybe winds up on the taxi squad..

    @nickers said:

    Woods maybe winds up on the taxi squad..

    Zombo said:

    Is this 1973?

    Z

    maybe some former players being placed on the Taxi squad.. was giving them a bad rep 😉

  • @ballpeen said:

    I think Felton might have a hard time making the team.

    He largely failed as a returner.  As a back he won't make the team unless we move somebody.  I did read he was working exclusively at receiver yesterday...but some guys were out ...The days of lower round draft picks being pretty much a lock to make the roster for a few years are over.  I am sure that if he doesn't make the final cuts we would put him on the practice squad if we can.  But, this is early.  Things can change once we start hitting real camp and start to play the exhibitions.  

    To expand on running back, i just don't see any way he makes it in that room with Chubb, Hunt, Johnson, and Ford in there. None of those guys are going to get cut, so unless we trade one, Felton is in for a tough go.

    Felton didn’t make the team last year as a RB and his few highlights and touches he had were at WR and as a return man. 
     

    Grant takes away the return option. So it is Felton….Schwartz, the Rookies and possibly a veteran free agent (maybe) for the 5 and 6 spot. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Felton didn’t make the team last year as a RB and his few highlights and touches he had were at WR and as a return man. 
     

    Grant takes away the return option. So it is Felton….Schwartz, the Rookies and possibly a veteran free agent (maybe) for the 5 and 6 spot. 

    Then for some odd reason he is currently listed as a RB, as he was last year. Who knows how they will do it, maybe we will get the new roster and depth chart and James Hudson will be listed as a RB.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Felton didn’t make the team last year as a RB and his few highlights and touches he had were at WR and as a return man. 
     

    Grant takes away the return option. So it is Felton….Schwartz, the Rookies and possibly a veteran free agent (maybe) for the 5 and 6 spot. 

    Then for some odd reason he is currently listed as a RB, as he was last year. Who knows how they will do it, maybe we will get the new roster and depth chart and James Hudson will be listed as a RB.

    @ballpeen said:

    Then for some odd reason he is currently listed as a RB, as he was last year. Who knows how they will do it, maybe we will get the new roster and depth chart and James Hudson will be listed as a RB.

    On ESPN's depth chart he is not listed as a RB, just 4th string Kick returner.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/cle/cleveland-browns

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Felton didn’t make the team last year as a RB and his few highlights and touches he had were at WR and as a return man. 
     

    Grant takes away the return option. So it is Felton….Schwartz, the Rookies and possibly a veteran free agent (maybe) for the 5 and 6 spot. 

    Then for some odd reason he is currently listed as a RB, as he was last year. Who knows how they will do it, maybe we will get the new roster and depth chart and James Hudson will be listed as a RB.

    @ballpeen said:

    Then for some odd reason he is currently listed as a RB, as he was last year. Who knows how they will do it, maybe we will get the new roster and depth chart and James Hudson will be listed as a RB.

    Well James Hudson may play better at RB than T. 

    Felton had 7 “Rushes” last year I can’t recall if some of those were bubble screens/laterals behind the LOS. I remember him getting a few opportunities at RB last year in mop up time.  Pretty telling considering the fact we had a game or two where both Chubb and Hunt were out and half the year Hunt was out.   I watched the rookie from Cincy last year…Felton isn’t beating him out for Rushes, but he can most certainly win the #5 WR role considering the depth chart

  • @ballpeen said:

    Then for some odd reason he is currently listed as a RB, as he was last year. Who knows how they will do it, maybe we will get the new roster and depth chart and James Hudson will be listed as a RB.

    On ESPN's depth chart he is not listed as a RB, just 4th string Kick returner.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/cle/cleveland-browns

    @texasag1969 said:

    On ESPN's depth chart he is not listed as a RB, just 4th string Kick returner.

    Yeah, but as a punt returner he's all the way up to 3rd string.

    He's always been listed as a RB on the team's site.  And always played on the field as a receiver.  (almost always)

  • Any way you cut it, it sounds like he will have a hard time sticking.   Maybe he can make it as a WR.  He won't be the returner and if he lines up as a back over Chubb,Hunt, or Johnson...even Ford, Stefanski should be evaluated.

    Last year, when he came in, you knew he was getting the ball to run one of the 4-5 plays which were his package of plays.

  • I wasn't Felton's biggest supporter last year.....because he didn't seem to excel at anything.  He's not real fast (and we knew that on draft day), he's not really a shifty route runner, he's only 5'9" and as a RB, the few times he did carry the ball, he was an arm tackle.   I don't remember his blocking ability but I wouldn't think he was able to pancake anyone.   -  He was a 6th round rookie so there's a possibility that he makes a jump this year but as has been said, he's probably got a lot of competition for his roster spot.

    I was a little disappointed in the Ford pick.  I really didn't want to upset that RB apple cart that we had.  I was thinking that we could get one more year out of the trio that we had...which was a great trio.