Skip to content

● BROWNS won't cut Mayfield, No. 2 WR not a priority, thrilled to have Clowney and more....

The Browns Board
28 13 1.5k 1
  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Brissett BLOWS!

  • No. 2 WR not a priority,

    Are the Browns looking to run the Barry Switzer Wishbone offense?
    MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg
     
    The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —
    with more than $900,000 in guaranteed money.
    The deal was negotiated by @DrewJRosenhaus and @NFLrecord.
     
    Same deal DJ's tendered tag would have paid..
    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gumby73 said:

    No. 2 WR not a priority,

    Are the Browns looking to run the Barry Switzer Wishbone offense?
    MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg
     
    The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —
    with more than $900,000 in guaranteed money.
    The deal was negotiated by @DrewJRosenhaus and @NFLrecord.
     
    Same deal DJ's tendered tag would have paid..

    I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

  • @gumby73 said:

    No. 2 WR not a priority,

    Are the Browns looking to run the Barry Switzer Wishbone offense?
    MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg
     
    The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —
    with more than $900,000 in guaranteed money.
    The deal was negotiated by @DrewJRosenhaus and @NFLrecord.
     
    Same deal DJ's tendered tag would have paid..

    I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @ballpeen said:

    I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

    Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
    Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

    The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

    But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

    Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
    Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

    The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

    But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @calfoxwc said:

    Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
    Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

    The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

    But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

    https://jcfb.forums.net/thread/10484/nd-quotmirrorquot-defense-of-full-backfield-wishbone

  • @ballpeen said:

    I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

    Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
    Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

    The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

    But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @calfoxwc said:

    Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. 

    Stef needs to stop himself from running such a predicable set of play calls..

    some team needs to start giving a sack happy Steelers/Ravens defense a different look.. 

    here's a easy peek into a Switzer's coaching clinic..  https://coachad.com/articles/coach-ad-clinic-barry-switzer-wishbone-offense-oklahoma-football/

    Characteristics of the wishbone

    1. It is a four back offense; all four backs are in a position to run with the football.
    2. It has a good power structure, particularly to the tight end side.
    3. It has simplicity. We have four primary running plays: The triple option, the halfback counter, the counter option and the inside belly. This kind of simplicity gives us the opportunity to repeat and repeat until we get proper execution. Because of the few number of plays, we can practice to meet all types of defenses.
    4. It is a mirror offense. The split end and the tight end are the only people who flip flop. It poses a constant threat to both sides of the defense.
    5. It is a total offense; we use the same plays from goal line to goal line. We do not have to develop a special or new offense for different field positions.
    6. It has a constant game plan; we use the same plays from week to week. We practice our assignments versus our new opponent’s defense.
    7. It has great passing potential:
      1. Because of single coverage on our split end.
      2. Because of the opponents’ concern about our running game, the run-pass options create problems for the defense. 
  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    a.) while the media is thinking the 49'ers want to trade Jimmy G for Baker straight up? ?

    b.) Try this one on for size...    

    c.) Source - Seattle Seahawks WR DK Metcalf not at minicamp, absence unexcused

     
    A source told ESPN that the Seahawks were receiving calls from teams interested in Metcalf but telling them they weren't shopping the receiver.
     
    Another source further told The Times that Metcalf is not being given an excused absence, which means he could be fined up to $93,000 if he skips all of the minicamp — he can be fined in increasing amounts for each day he does not attend. Teams can waive the fines if they choose.

    “I will say we are going to get something done,” Metcalf said. “I think I’m going to be in Seattle for the next coming years, yes sir.”

    The 24-year-old Metcalf is entering the final season of his four-year rookie deal, due to make $3.986 million this year with a cap hit of $4.3 million after qualifying for a Proven Performance Escalator.

     

    Metcalf is likely angling for an extension similar to the one the Eagles recently gave A.J. Brown — four years at up to $100 million with $39.9 million guaranteed at signing and $57.2 million guaranteed overall.

    Metcalf played with AJ Brown at Ole Miss and the two share an agent, Tory Dandy of CAA Sports.

    Dandy also represents 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel who has requested a trade, and like Metcalf and AJ Brown, is also in line for an extension entering the final year of his rookie deal.

    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/report-dk-metcalf-skipping-seahawks-mandatory-minicamp-this-week-as-wait-for-extension-continues/

    Does the 2022 off-season WR market have another twist? stay tuned

  • No. 2 WR not a priority,

    Are the Browns looking to run the Barry Switzer Wishbone offense?
    MaAIgBaS_normal.jpg
     
    The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —
    with more than $900,000 in guaranteed money.
    The deal was negotiated by @DrewJRosenhaus and @NFLrecord.
     
    Same deal DJ's tendered tag would have paid..
    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @gumby73 said:

    The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —

    Wow.  And Ford.  Is Hunt out?  That would be sad.  Hunt is a good football player.  He plays 'team' ball.  And he gives his all without complaining.

  • @gumby73 said:

    The #Browns and RB D’Ernest Johnson agreed to terms on a one-year deal worth up to $2,433,000 —

    Wow.  And Ford.  Is Hunt out?  That would be sad.  Hunt is a good football player.  He plays 'team' ball.  And he gives his all without complaining.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #26

    @orion said:

    Wow.  And Ford.  Is Hunt out?  That would be sad.  Hunt is a good football player.  He plays 'team' ball.  And he gives his all without complaining.

    All i can remember from last season is? Hunt lost game time twice with a calf injury & than a ankle injury that came with a MRI.. I'm from Hunt's hometown of Toledo, so I'm a huge Hunt fan.. but maybe they know something medically?

    I think Berry purposely loaded up on RB's knowing the analynics of the RB Camp injuries...He'll get the 1st calls.. AB has Hunt/D'E Johnson on good 1 year market deals..Stef keeping 4 RB's to rotate 1 RB, at a set, at a time, drives me nutz  .. Ford or Felton will be fighting for RB4, imo 

    edit-- here's a Felton stat fact idnk... Felton was credited with 4 fumbles last season.. he was some what lucky, not losing any of them as a fumble turnover... We now want this guy to tryout to be a WR5? 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Just a few rumors and questions for grins and to pass the time before Sept. KO. ?

  • @ballpeen said:

    I doubt it, but seeing Chubb, Hunt, and DJ lined up in a wishbone would be pretty darn cool.  Probably work as well.

    Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
    Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

    The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

    But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @calfoxwc said:

    Cool, yes. But I don't think it would work. Way back in the day, the Longhorns ran the wishbone like crazy. I think it was
    Ara Parsigan, hc of Notre Dame, who used a defense that he got from a high school coach, If I remember correctly.

    The defense was designed as a defensive mirror of the wishbone. Everything they did was countered by the opposite formation, opposite players.

    But Zombo is a huge Notre Dame fan - he will probably know the story better than I do.

    I wasn't trying to say we should run it as some sort of base O.  We ran it a few times when Freddie was coach and had success. I do think as a wrinkle it would work just fine if we ran out of that set several times a game.  

    What does several mean?  I don't know?  I suppose that would depend on how well it was working.