Skip to content

Baker to Carolina

The Browns Board
952 57 39.9k 1
  • We see the way Baker acts publicly, imagine how he is behind closed doors? This lack of interest in Baker is very telling. His lack of talent, combined with his lack of mental and emotional maturity means almost no one wants to touch him. Who wants to coach a guy who is a jerk and won't listen to you? I'm starting to think a third round pick is a lofty goal for Baker....I hope I'm wrong, it'd be nice to get a good haul for him.

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    We see the way Baker acts publicly, imagine how he is behind closed doors? This lack of interest in Baker is very telling. His lack of talent, combined with his lack of mental and emotional maturity means almost no one wants to touch him. Who wants to coach a guy who is a jerk and won't listen to you? I'm starting to think a third round pick is a lofty goal for Baker....I hope I'm wrong, it'd be nice to get a good haul for him.

    I'd be thrilled with a third rounder at this point. (And to be honest, that was the highest I realistically thought they could get for him)

  • @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    We see the way Baker acts publicly, imagine how he is behind closed doors? This lack of interest in Baker is very telling. His lack of talent, combined with his lack of mental and emotional maturity means almost no one wants to touch him. Who wants to coach a guy who is a jerk and won't listen to you? I'm starting to think a third round pick is a lofty goal for Baker....I hope I'm wrong, it'd be nice to get a good haul for him.

    I'd be thrilled with a third rounder at this point. (And to be honest, that was the highest I realistically thought they could get for him)

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be thrilled with a third rounder at this point. (And to be honest, that was the highest I realistically thought they could get for him)

    damn ahahha I'll be happy with a 2024 7th rounder if it takes his money off the books because honestly  the only team we could hope for  a  trade for is Seattle unless carolina can get rid of darnold and his 18.8 million 5th year option they will not take on Bakers contract,were screwed boys

  • image.png.bbcf405bc7d901c61f146d013c9e10cc.png

    Someone called it earlier, but I didn't think it would happen. This might be a Brock Osweiler situation. 

  • image.png.bbcf405bc7d901c61f146d013c9e10cc.png

    Someone called it earlier, but I didn't think it would happen. This might be a Brock Osweiler situation. 

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    image.png.bbcf405bc7d901c61f146d013c9e10cc.png

    Yeah, I heard this earlier today.   The Colts let us down, and then everyone started scrambling to sign the remaining veteran QB's not named Baker.  He's just about worthless now.

  • I'm guessing Seattle is going to roll with Drew Lock.

    People like Baker because of his energy, has a visible passion for the game.

    But the reality is he sucks, teams don't view him as a starter because he isn't. Camp Baker will need to stop looking for places he can be a starter and find someone who'll take a very expensive backup for 1 year.

    Guessing it won't be an osweiler situation, but don't see the browns getting much more than a 4th.

  • @gumby73 said:

    I've needed some clarity all week ?

    How does a trade for Mayfield work for the Browns’ salary cap?

    As it stands right now, a trade would be almost perfect for Cleveland. There would be no dead money, and they would not owe Mayfield another penny on his contract. The problem is that shifting over $18 million in salary could affect the price teams are willing to pay. However, if they

    1.) can find a team looking for a QB, the equation shifts back to the Browns. As a salary dump, $18 million is a lot. However, that is an incredible value for a starting QB, even if just for one year.

    2.) The Browns could potentially sweeten the deal. They could pay Mayfield a lump sum as a signing bonus prior to the trade. That would reduce the cap number being taken on by the team trading for Mayfield, potentially increasing the price they are willing to pay. However, the acquiring team could plan to sign Mayfield to an immediate extension or restructure the deal to add void years, essentially doing the same thing.

    3.) Brock Osweiller route and kick in a draft pick just to get his money off the books

    well since other teams are getting different q.b's it is looking like #2 or #3  or just flat out cut him

    @atom said:

    well since other teams are getting different q.b's it is looking like #2 or #3  or just flat out cut him

    I don't know who Baker's agent is? but he needed to shut Bakers social media accounts down weeks ago ?..

    Matt Ryan was the next in line..Done.. Next up? Jimmy G or Trey Lance 49er's?

    There is only one Jimmy G & 3 teams still need a starter... Carolina/Atlanta/Seattle... Baker is still better than what they have for 1 year.. I keep looking at the extra pick the Watson deal took.. Should Berry consider taking a deal for a 2023 3rd rounder to get back? or maybe the 2024 4th rounder to get back? We may also, need to eat 8.8M in cap & dump Bake at 10M on traded teams cap.. 

    I'll trust Berry's FO to get a deal done/ even if it's on draft night 

  • Once upon a time Belichick was pretty fond of Baker. Not sure l see the Pats offering a first, but if Baker’s price drops to maybe a 2nd or 3rd, it wouldn’t shock me if they sprang for him.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Once upon a time Belichick was pretty fond of Baker. Not sure l see the Pats offering a first, but if Baker’s price drops to maybe a 2nd or 3rd, it wouldn’t shock me if they sprang for him.

    Nah, Bill doesn't make stupid mistakes.  Baker's trade value is now hovering in the sack of seeds range.  

    @atom said:

    this part i am not sure about is baker due any kind of roster bonus ? and if not could we just keep him on the team and gamble that another teams qb gets hurt in training  camp or the pre season ? 

    Nope, no roster bonus... We can't afford his $18 million guaranteed dead cap hit and stay under the cap. Ask yourself in all honesty... Right now would you rather have Baker, or Landry & Clowney with the same amount of money. I thought so.  🙂  

    @bbedward said:

    I'm guessing Seattle is going to roll with Drew Lock.

    People like Baker because of his energy, has a visible passion for the game.

    But the reality is he sucks, teams don't view him as a starter because he isn't. Camp Baker will need to stop looking for places he can be a starter and find someone who'll take a very expensive backup for 1 year.

    Guessing it won't be an osweiler situation, but don't see the browns getting much more than a 4th.

    Hey BB, welcome back, long time no see... It's being tossed around... it could get to the point the Browns might have to give up a draft pick in an Osweiler scenario just to get Baker's contract off the books...  

  • No doubt the trade market for Baker is drying up.  Trading a guy on a 5th year 19 mil contract, a guy you need to pawn off, is a tough sell.  I don't underestimate Berry and the FO but from my perspective,  we might have to take on 8 mil of his salary and be lucky to get a 6th round pick.

    At this point it may not be about worth as much as it is about having no leverage on our side.  We may end up having to keep him on the books and keep him sitting at home.  Heck, we might have to send Baker and a 5th rounder to get some team to take him on.  

    Berry is going to have to work some magic to come out even close on this one.

    It is what it is.

  • Someone mentioned the 49rs as a possibility if they get rid of Jimmy G ....one of the hacks with a tick next to his name

  • By the way, it appears the final compensation to get Watson is (3) first rounders, (2) fourth rounders and (1) third rounder. I think we get a sixth rounder back. 

    So having to throw in a draft pick just to get rid of Baker is just super duper. Who likes to watch the Draft, anyways? ?

  • By the way, it appears the final compensation to get Watson is (3) first rounders, (2) fourth rounders and (1) third rounder. I think we get a sixth rounder back. 

    So having to throw in a draft pick just to get rid of Baker is just super duper. Who likes to watch the Draft, anyways? ?

    @dutch-oven said:

    By the way, it appears the final compensation to get Watson is (3) first rounders, (2) fourth rounders and (1) third rounder. I think we get a sixth rounder back. 

    So having to throw in a draft pick just to get rid of Baker is just super duper. Who likes to watch the Draft, anyways? ?

    The real $ is made 2nd - 4th round. Especially when you have a QB who is a 10 year piece.   

  • It's almost like no one is really that interested in Baker Mayfield. 

    And with Indianapolis off the market, and their penchant for making stupid trades and giving away high picks to do it, that was the Browns chance to get something of value for him. There's speculation the Browns might have to just release him.

    Doesn't the rest of the NFL know that the only thing holding him back was the Browns drafting a WR for him? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It's almost like no one is really that interested in Baker Mayfield. 

    And with Indianapolis off the market, and their penchant for making stupid trades and giving away high picks to do it, that was the Browns chance to get something of value for him. There's speculation the Browns might have to just release him.

    Doesn't the rest of the NFL know that the only thing holding him back was the Browns drafting a WR for him? 

    Yeah, we were villified for suggesting OBJ's lack of production was due to poor QB play. Glad the front office realized that a rookie WR wasn't going to fix that and traded for a better QB before our window closes

  • Nobody wants that punkass  bitch 

  • @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Matt Ryan was traded to the Colts for a 3rd rounder. The Saints signed Winston. 

    That leaves possible Baker trade destinations as maybe: Seattle, Detroit, Giants, Carolina, Atlanta? 

    Atlanta signing Mariotta. Probably just Carolina and Seattle at this point. I'd rather have Goff than Baker at this point, so don't see why Detroit makes that deal. 

    @osiris said:

    Atlanta signing Mariotta. Probably just Carolina and Seattle at this point. I'd rather have Goff than Baker at this point, so don't see why Detroit makes that deal. 

    As Atom pointed out, and I did in another thread, Carolina has an $18 million Sam Darnold problem. I (sort of) follow the Lions because the brother in laws are fans, ditto the above. Detroit isn't going to view Baker as much of- if any- as an upgrade over Goff. 

  • @osiris said:

    Atlanta signing Mariotta. Probably just Carolina and Seattle at this point. I'd rather have Goff than Baker at this point, so don't see why Detroit makes that deal. 

    As Atom pointed out, and I did in another thread, Carolina has an $18 million Sam Darnold problem. I (sort of) follow the Lions because the brother in laws are fans, ditto the above. Detroit isn't going to view Baker as much of- if any- as an upgrade over Goff. 

    @hoorta said:

    As Atom pointed out, and I did in another thread, Carolina has an $18 million Sam Darnold problem. I (sort of) follow the Lions because the brother in laws are fans, ditto the above. Detroit isn't going to view Baker as much of- if any- as an upgrade over Goff. 

    Word is Carolina is gonna ride it out w/Darnold...

  • @hoorta said:

    As Atom pointed out, and I did in another thread, Carolina has an $18 million Sam Darnold problem. I (sort of) follow the Lions because the brother in laws are fans, ditto the above. Detroit isn't going to view Baker as much of- if any- as an upgrade over Goff. 

    Word is Carolina is gonna ride it out w/Darnold...

    @nickers said:

    Word is Carolina is gonna ride it out w/Darnold...

    That won't surprise me...  He was horrible last year.. The Panthers are in the same boat as the Browns are with Baker. Darnold's 5th year  $18 million is fully guaranteed.  So they can't exactly dump Darnold and then take on Baker's $18 million.  I suppose they can put Darnold out there and do a tank-a-thon for the 2023 QB draft class...  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    By the way, it appears the final compensation to get Watson is (3) first rounders, (2) fourth rounders and (1) third rounder. I think we get a sixth rounder back. 

    So having to throw in a draft pick just to get rid of Baker is just super duper. Who likes to watch the Draft, anyways? ?

    The real $ is made 2nd - 4th round. Especially when you have a QB who is a 10 year piece.   

    @tiamat63 said:

    The real $ is made 2nd - 4th round. Especially when you have a QB who is a 10 year piece.   

    10 year piece?

    I fully expect Watson to get out of Cleveland the second this contract is up, if he doesn't demand to be traded before. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The real $ is made 2nd - 4th round. Especially when you have a QB who is a 10 year piece.   

    10 year piece?

    I fully expect Watson to get out of Cleveland the second this contract is up, if he doesn't demand to be traded before. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    10 year piece?

    I fully expect Watson to get out of Cleveland the second this contract is up, if he doesn't demand to be traded before. 

    Don't ruin my high. 

  • what to do with Baker ?

    ...from what I've seen on tv, he's pretty good with building maintenance.   

    If it were me, and I couldn't get anything for him...I'd keep him on the books, at home, and wait for the team(s) whose QB goes down and needs a starting QB.

  • I saw this posted over on the Browns subreddit ( Link to OP post ) that I think is an excellent summation of Baker Mayfield and Browns fans:

    "From a fan perspective, the Baker QB situation on the Browns is like your very first girlfriend...You'd never had a girlfriend (QB) before, so the first one that shows any promise you obsess over and think "Finally! This is the one I waited for!"

    The more you get to know her, you realize you put up with strange behavior and she really doesn't seem to get along with some of your friends (OBJ). But again, it's whatever because you finally have a girlfriend! Maybe this is how it goes sometimes? They're wrong, you're right.

    Then you realize that she doesn't get along with any of your friends (Browns teammates). You try and tell yourself they're just jealous, but then even your parents (Haslams, FO, Stefanski) say how much they dislike her.

    You show a picture of her to kids on the bus and they say "gross, I'd date Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, or even Jameis Winston before I'd date her." You realize that this whole time, you had been sticking around in the hopes she got better and friendlier. Instead she got worse and meaner.

    Your friends don't like her, your parents don't like her, other kids on the bus make fun of you, she's stubborn and refuses to listen to you, and you realize that outside of you, no one else even wants her. Because she showed you interest for the first time and you got laid ONCE. TWO YEARS AGO (2020 playoffs).

    Suddenly the glasses are off and you realize you don't like her anymore. You have that epiphany/cringe moment (weeks, months, decades later) of "holy shit why did I stick around with her so long? She really wasnt that great at all. Of course no one else liked her, I was just blinded by my first love and wanted it to work so bad. Moving on was the right move"