Skip to content

The Good, the bad, and the Lucky vs Steelers.

The Browns Board
66 14 3.2k 1
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Nice job jig.  Winning in your division especially  over the steelrz makes it even more special. 

    And how's things down in F-L-A way ?   And as always......

    GO BROWNS  !

  • Nice job jig.  Winning in your division especially  over the steelrz makes it even more special. 

    And how's things down in F-L-A way ?   And as always......

    GO BROWNS  !

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @mjp28 said:

    Nice job jig.  Winning in your division especially  over the steelrz makes it even more special. 

    And how's things down in F-L-A way ?   And as always......

    GO BROWNS  !

    Florida is great, just hoping that hurricane doesn't wreck us! Lol. I already had to cancel a business trip to Orlando next week, but that's fine with me. Looking forward to watching some football and rooting against our division. ?

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #4

    Agree with it all.  

    Important to note we are probably 2-1 with Watson too.  We spent the last month lamenting the fact that we had a backup QB for the first 11 games and he’s played like a Top 10 QB. 

    On top of that, We had our fourth tackle on our roster start the first two games and a backup center and the offense doesn’t miss a beat.  Performance over excuses. 

    We don’t have a perfect defensive roster but for crying out loud we haven’t played any offensive juggernauts and we have some dudes on that side.

    Denzel Ward had a very tough night.  He had one of the lowest PFF scores in his career. That just can’t happen.

    Im done with Joe Woods.  
     

  • Agree with it all.  

    Important to note we are probably 2-1 with Watson too.  We spent the last month lamenting the fact that we had a backup QB for the first 11 games and he’s played like a Top 10 QB. 

    On top of that, We had our fourth tackle on our roster start the first two games and a backup center and the offense doesn’t miss a beat.  Performance over excuses. 

    We don’t have a perfect defensive roster but for crying out loud we haven’t played any offensive juggernauts and we have some dudes on that side.

    Denzel Ward had a very tough night.  He had one of the lowest PFF scores in his career. That just can’t happen.

    Im done with Joe Woods.  
     

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Denzel Ward had a very tough night.  He had one of the lowest PFF scores in his career. That just can’t happen.

    Yeah he did, and honestly, it should have been worse for him because Steelers dropped at least one long one on him on na huge 3rd down. To be fair, it was good coverage and Mitch threw a godly pass, but I'll take it. I actually thought Mitch looked extremely good and made a ton of key passes. 

    Ward will come back, he's just too good. I could be mistaken, but I thought he struggled a tiny bit last year before basically winning the Bengals game with that monster pick 6, so I expect him to play better soon. 

    Nobody even challenges Newsome. ?

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #6

    are starters have only played 3 games together it really is like preseason just give em time 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Denzel Ward had a very tough night.  He had one of the lowest PFF scores in his career. That just can’t happen.

    Yeah he did, and honestly, it should have been worse for him because Steelers dropped at least one long one on him on na huge 3rd down. To be fair, it was good coverage and Mitch threw a godly pass, but I'll take it. I actually thought Mitch looked extremely good and made a ton of key passes. 

    Ward will come back, he's just too good. I could be mistaken, but I thought he struggled a tiny bit last year before basically winning the Bengals game with that monster pick 6, so I expect him to play better soon. 

    Nobody even challenges Newsome. ?

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Nobody even challenges Newsome. ?

    good stuff - that brings to mind a question. Newsome's huge helmet to the small of the back on Wilson -

    shouldn't a flag been thrown for spearing/targeting/? IT wasn't though, I just don't know the rule.

  • sydS syd

    are starters have only played 3 games together it really is like preseason just give em time 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @syd said:

    are starters have only played 3 games together it really is like preseason just give em time 

    I agree to an extent.  But we are playing in year 3 under this Joe Woods scheme…The entire secondary was back.  
     

  • @syd said:

    are starters have only played 3 games together it really is like preseason just give em time 

    I agree to an extent.  But we are playing in year 3 under this Joe Woods scheme…The entire secondary was back.  
     

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I agree to an extent.  But we are playing in year 3 under this Joe Woods scheme…The entire secondary was back.  
     

    at the end of last season as i remember are D were playing really well hopefully they will get it completely together on the road at atl before a 2 game homestand vs the chargers and patriots those games will be the true test of joe woods defense 

  • The Good:

    Quite obviously, we beat the Steelers, and let's not act like it's a given. We lost to Duck Hodges for crying out loud, and ANY victory against a division rival is terrific, but beating the Steelers just feels absolutely sublime. 

    I believe it starts and ends with Jacoby Brissett. This guy makes accurate throws, gets people into position (limited penalties), we keep timeouts, and he takes care of the rock. Time will tell if this is a hot streak, or simply how Brissett plays, but my goodness...he's playing with confidence, decisiveness, and total command. How about that throw with a free rusher in his GRILL where he rips an outside pass that was well covered for great yardage. That's a HUGE play. 

    Nick Chubb, Hunt, and the offensive line. What else can we say? It's just a treat to watch and if you need further evidence, please watch the 4th quarter drive where we ran 11 plays and TEN were runs. Goodnight Irene. Oh, and welcome back Mr. Conklin. 

    David freaking Njoku. Let's face it, many of us were extremely disappointed by the lack of targets Njoku got week 1. Yes, he's blocking like a beast, but we needed more. Well, welcome to the MORE. There was one difficult catch near the goal line that I'm sure David wants back. It would have literally ended the game sooner, but he did get his legs taken out.

    That being said, David simply HAS to get better at catching the ball with his hands. On this difficult drop, the ball went through his hands, and if his legs don't get cut, he likely still catches it. On his touchdown pass, the ball once again went through his hands, but he was able to gather it. He has to grasp the rock with his mitts in order to be great. 

    The Bad:

    Injuries. Losing Anthony Walker is a critical blow and JOK getting hurt certainly makes it worse. Now, Walker is unfortunately gone for the year, whereas I expect JOK to only miss 1 game if any. 

    Defensive Line. It reminded me of a quote from a film called Office Space. "What would you say...ya DO HERE?" Now, I certainly don't want to hear anything bad about Garrett, as the ENTIRE game plan was developed around him. It was not a good game, but he was hurt and getting double and triple teamed. Tommy Togaii needs to sit down and have a Coke and a smile. That guy is the equivalent of a screen door on a submarine. So is Jordan Elliott, my God. Bottom line, we need Clowney and probably a veteran free agent, perhaps Suh...as much as I don't like him. 

    Special Teams. Guys, I'm over it. 12 men on the field on a FIELD GOAL, a blocked punt, a missed XP, and the worst onsides kick coverage ever. What the HELL is going on? And if I see another returner take the ball from the end zone with dillusions of grandeur, I'll gonna have a panic attack. ?

    The Lucky.

    The Pittsburgh drive after half time that should have changed the game. Some people might not realize this but this game should have been much different, and it appears as if our Browns were AGAIN the recipient of a blown call. The Steelers were absolutely marching the ball against our helpless defense and then executed a BEAUTIFUL shovel pass that got them down to the 8 yard line. Anyone who watches our defense knows that when it gets inside the 10, it's almost always a TD. But...but...there's a flag! 

    The ref called an illegal man down the field on a route BEHIND the line of scrimmage that happened very quickly. My favorite football expert Jake Burns said he wasn't sure if this penalty was correct or not and that's Jake Burns. I've NEVER seen it called on a shovel pass. Ever. That was basically a 45 yard penalty. THEN the Steelers dropped a beautiful deep pass that would have been good for a first, a break for Denzel Ward who played an atrocious game. If not for flag, Steelers are up 8, and entire game changes. 

    Pittsburgh dropping several passes. My goodness peeps, the luck was strong with us, and it felt like it was about TIME, right? Now, that one cat made about the best catch in history, but other than that, there were 3 massive drops that won't happen every game. 

    I'm sorry it was so long, I tried to leave lots for you guys. It's a simply terrific victory and we needed it. I never get tired of beating the Steelers! WOOF WOOF! 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Injuries. Losing Anthony Walker is a critical blow and JOK getting hurt certainly makes it worse. Now, Walker is unfortunately gone for the year, whereas I expect JOK to only miss 1 game if any. 

    Special Teams. Guys, I'm over it. 12 men on the field on a FIELD GOAL, a blocked punt, a missed XP, and the worst onsides kick coverage ever. What the HELL is going on? And if I see another returner take the ball from the end zone with dillusions of grandeur, I'll gonna have a panic attack. ?

    I'm sorry it was so long, I tried to leave lots for you guys. It's a simply terrific victory and we needed it. I never get tired of beating the Steelers! WOOF WOOF! 

    Nice job with that Jiggs!   

    I was reviewing all the ST blunders with someone online and I can't believe I forgot to mention the 12 men on the field. That really speaks volumes about my attention to detail these days.  Man, the blocked punt and another missed extra point?   We didn't spend a draft pick on York for him to be the next Steve Cox (only trusted for long FGs and putting kickoffs out of the end zone).  We drafted York wanting him to be the next Phil Dawson (accurate from everywhere).  I think he'll get that ironed out; but we need that now,,,

    After JOK and Walker got injured - I thought Phillips, Fields and Takitaki played well for us.

    A potential concern, our defense got gashed against the run in the 1st half.  I'm guessing our next opponent will test this next week.  

    All that aside, I'm very happy this team began the week with a very necessary player's only meeting. It translated into a victory on the field for us to enjoy!

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Good stuff. 

    The D is a huge concern. Sometimes these Thurs games aren't high quality due to the short week, but I'm worried that the D is average at best, and with 2 starting LBs out, yikes.

    I don't know if a 10 day gap between games is enough time, but clearly some tweeks are in order on D. 

    On to Atlanta.

  • Good stuff. 

    The D is a huge concern. Sometimes these Thurs games aren't high quality due to the short week, but I'm worried that the D is average at best, and with 2 starting LBs out, yikes.

    I don't know if a 10 day gap between games is enough time, but clearly some tweeks are in order on D. 

    On to Atlanta.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @bob806 said:

    Good stuff. 

    The D is a huge concern. Sometimes these Thurs games aren't high quality due to the short week, but I'm worried that the D is average at best, and with 2 starting LBs out, yikes.

    I don't know if a 10 day gap between games is enough time, but clearly some tweeks are in order on D. 

    On to Atlanta.

    I understand why you feel that way Bob.  This is just another way of looking at it - and I could end up being wrong here.  Even though Walker has the most experience - I think he's overrated.  I don't care if he's one of those PFF All Planet players some people use as their football Bible - the eye ball test has me grouping him with the dime a dozen guys (meaning I don't expect a drop-off in his absence and I didn't see one Thursday).  As for JOK, I'm kind of getting used to him being injured and unavailable.  All his upside is exciting; but it's also a tease if this guy isn't going to be healthy enough to play for us very often. 

    The biggest concern I had was in the 1st half watching Pittsburgh run the ball down the Browns' esophagus in spite of Pittsburgh's very mediocre Offensive Line.  DT was a glaring weakness that wasn't addressed in this draft. The guy that seemed most promising (Winfrey) has been a head case so far, so it doesn't look to me like the FO was very thorough with that position.  We're gonna face better offensive lines than Pittsburgh - so that's my biggest concern (beside STs) as our next opponent(s) will definitely test our IDL.

  • @bob806 said:

    Good stuff. 

    The D is a huge concern. Sometimes these Thurs games aren't high quality due to the short week, but I'm worried that the D is average at best, and with 2 starting LBs out, yikes.

    I don't know if a 10 day gap between games is enough time, but clearly some tweeks are in order on D. 

    On to Atlanta.

    I understand why you feel that way Bob.  This is just another way of looking at it - and I could end up being wrong here.  Even though Walker has the most experience - I think he's overrated.  I don't care if he's one of those PFF All Planet players some people use as their football Bible - the eye ball test has me grouping him with the dime a dozen guys (meaning I don't expect a drop-off in his absence and I didn't see one Thursday).  As for JOK, I'm kind of getting used to him being injured and unavailable.  All his upside is exciting; but it's also a tease if this guy isn't going to be healthy enough to play for us very often. 

    The biggest concern I had was in the 1st half watching Pittsburgh run the ball down the Browns' esophagus in spite of Pittsburgh's very mediocre Offensive Line.  DT was a glaring weakness that wasn't addressed in this draft. The guy that seemed most promising (Winfrey) has been a head case so far, so it doesn't look to me like the FO was very thorough with that position.  We're gonna face better offensive lines than Pittsburgh - so that's my biggest concern (beside STs) as our next opponent(s) will definitely test our IDL.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @flugel said:

    The biggest concern I had was in the 1st half watching Pittsburgh run the ball down the Browns' esophagus in spite of Pittsburgh's very mediocre Offensive Line.  DT was a glaring weakness that wasn't addressed in this draft. The guy that seemed most promising (Winfrey) has been a head case so far, so it doesn't look to me like the FO was very thorough with that position.  We're gonna face better offensive lines than Pittsburgh - so that's my biggest concern (beside STs) as our next opponent(s) will definitely test our IDL.

    My friend that I went to the game with and I were discussing the DT position, he's convinced that to hope a high pick is used on a DT down the road is an exercise in futility. It does seem like this front office does not think IDL are worthy of high picks, and can be found later. We'll see. 

  • @flugel said:

    The biggest concern I had was in the 1st half watching Pittsburgh run the ball down the Browns' esophagus in spite of Pittsburgh's very mediocre Offensive Line.  DT was a glaring weakness that wasn't addressed in this draft. The guy that seemed most promising (Winfrey) has been a head case so far, so it doesn't look to me like the FO was very thorough with that position.  We're gonna face better offensive lines than Pittsburgh - so that's my biggest concern (beside STs) as our next opponent(s) will definitely test our IDL.

    My friend that I went to the game with and I were discussing the DT position, he's convinced that to hope a high pick is used on a DT down the road is an exercise in futility. It does seem like this front office does not think IDL are worthy of high picks, and can be found later. We'll see. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @dutch-oven said:

    My friend that I went to the game with and I were discussing the DT position, he's convinced that to hope a high pick is used on a DT down the road is an exercise in futility. It does seem like this front office does not think IDL are worthy of high picks, and can be found later. We'll see. 

    It has hurt the Browns in the past with 1st round picks like Gerrard Warren and Phil Taylor. Not to worry though because the Browns don't have any 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts.  I think we can get a good prospect in round 2 or 3.  

    Think about it:  Do we need any RBs, QBs, TEs in round 2?  Furthermore, we already have two 1st round draft picks starting at Corner.  If there's a big explosive/overpowering guy that can occupy 2 blockers and/or push the pocket back in round 2 or 3 - I think it can help this team if we remain weak at DT.  You're friend probably remembers Butch Davis drafting Gerrard Warren over LaDainian Tomlinson, which was an epic failure.  That was more because Butch drafted a very average and lazy prospect in lieu of a guy ready to be a superstar.  Not too long after that, Jamal Lewis had over 500 yards rushing on the Browns in just 6 quarters of football 1 season.  Like anything, they have to research these guys.  Somebody should have known Winfrey was a head case in a year the Browns weren't making their first selection until round 3.  Somebody should have known Winfrey was a head case because the Browns didn't have much room for error in round 4.  I thought UConn's Travis Jones was a strong prospect for us that went to the Rats in round 3 at #76 overall.  The good news is the Browns are very happy they CB Martin Emerson at #68 and so am I at this point.  I think our other 2 picks in that round Wright and Bell will help us too.  

    In 2023, they can address the DT position in free agency or with a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick if necessary.  They only looked bad against Pittsburgh so we'll see what the rest of the year shows us about the IDL.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #15


    To quote Jerry Jones “you can’t have it all”  Unless you are Ohio State they appear to have it all. 

    The Browns have decided based upon the roster composition and future financial commitments that the QB position, Offensive line, DE, Secondary  demand the largest focus when it comes to expending draft capital and spending money. Those groups better be buttoned up and polished.  I think we all expect very good to elite play here. I don’t like that we are weak up the middle - at each level by the way. I’m pissed we are losing track of WRs though and we have one loss to show because of it. 
     

    DT will get addressed perhaps during this year, definitely next draft and free agency.   In the meantime, the WR group is humming along, the offensive line, the QB room.  We had major concerns some injuries, suspensions with each.  It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 
     

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    Same with Special Teams.  Can we get aligned correctly (we weren’t on the jets onside kick) and then 12 men this week and the fake the week before. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    My friend that I went to the game with and I were discussing the DT position, he's convinced that to hope a high pick is used on a DT down the road is an exercise in futility. It does seem like this front office does not think IDL are worthy of high picks, and can be found later. We'll see. 

    It has hurt the Browns in the past with 1st round picks like Gerrard Warren and Phil Taylor. Not to worry though because the Browns don't have any 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts.  I think we can get a good prospect in round 2 or 3.  

    Think about it:  Do we need any RBs, QBs, TEs in round 2?  Furthermore, we already have two 1st round draft picks starting at Corner.  If there's a big explosive/overpowering guy that can occupy 2 blockers and/or push the pocket back in round 2 or 3 - I think it can help this team if we remain weak at DT.  You're friend probably remembers Butch Davis drafting Gerrard Warren over LaDainian Tomlinson, which was an epic failure.  That was more because Butch drafted a very average and lazy prospect in lieu of a guy ready to be a superstar.  Not too long after that, Jamal Lewis had over 500 yards rushing on the Browns in just 6 quarters of football 1 season.  Like anything, they have to research these guys.  Somebody should have known Winfrey was a head case in a year the Browns weren't making their first selection until round 3.  Somebody should have known Winfrey was a head case because the Browns didn't have much room for error in round 4.  I thought UConn's Travis Jones was a strong prospect for us that went to the Rats in round 3 at #76 overall.  The good news is the Browns are very happy they CB Martin Emerson at #68 and so am I at this point.  I think our other 2 picks in that round Wright and Bell will help us too.  

    In 2023, they can address the DT position in free agency or with a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick if necessary.  They only looked bad against Pittsburgh so we'll see what the rest of the year shows us about the IDL.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @flugel said:

    It has hurt the Browns in the past with 1st round picks like Gerrard Warren and Phil Taylor. Not to worry though because the Browns don't have any 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts.  I think we can get a good prospect in round 2 or 3.  

    Think about it:  Do we need any RBs, QBs, TEs in round 2?  Furthermore, we already have two 1st round draft picks starting at Corner.  If there's a big explosive/overpowering guy that can occupy 2 blockers and/or push the pocket back in round 2 or 3 - I think it can help this team if we remain weak at DT.  You're friend probably remembers Butch Davis drafting Gerrard Warren over LaDainian Tomlinson, which was an epic failure.  That was more because Butch drafted a very average and lazy prospect in lieu of a guy ready to be a superstar.  Not too long after that, Jamal Lewis had over 500 yards rushing on the Browns in just 6 quarters of football 1 season.  Like anything, they have to research these guys.  Somebody should have known Winfrey was a head case in a year the Browns weren't making their first selection until round 3.  Somebody should have known Winfrey was a head case because the Browns didn't have much room for error in round 4.  I thought UConn's Travis Jones was a strong prospect for us that went to the Rats in round 3 at #76 overall.  The good news is the Browns are very happy they CB Martin Emerson at #68 and so am I at this point.  I think our other 2 picks in that round Wright and Bell will help us too.  

    In 2023, they can address the DT position in free agency or with a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick if necessary.  They only looked bad against Pittsburgh so we'll see what the rest of the year shows us about the IDL.

    Oh I agree, and so would my friend, we are all on the same page about wanting the Browns to invest high on a DT. It's just that he and I have our doubts that this is something the Browns front office has any interest in doing. I'm all for it, for the right guy. (Now, I thought the F.O. also felt this way about LBs, and then they go and take JOK in the first, so there's a chance a DT high could happen too of course). 

    My three top wants next draft is the same as they wete last draft - DE, DT and WR. OTackle probably will replace WR, honestly. 


  • To quote Jerry Jones “you can’t have it all”  Unless you are Ohio State they appear to have it all. 

    The Browns have decided based upon the roster composition and future financial commitments that the QB position, Offensive line, DE, Secondary  demand the largest focus when it comes to expending draft capital and spending money. Those groups better be buttoned up and polished.  I think we all expect very good to elite play here. I don’t like that we are weak up the middle - at each level by the way. I’m pissed we are losing track of WRs though and we have one loss to show because of it. 
     

    DT will get addressed perhaps during this year, definitely next draft and free agency.   In the meantime, the WR group is humming along, the offensive line, the QB room.  We had major concerns some injuries, suspensions with each.  It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 
     

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    Same with Special Teams.  Can we get aligned correctly (we weren’t on the jets onside kick) and then 12 men this week and the fake the week before. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #17

    @sdbacker80 said:


    To quote Jerry Jones “you can’t have it all”  Unless you are Ohio State they appear to have it all. 

    The Browns have decided based upon the roster composition and future financial commitments that the QB position, Offensive line, DE, Secondary  demand the largest focus when it comes to expending draft capital and spending money. Those groups better be buttoned up and polished.  I think we all expect very good to elite play here. I don’t like that we are weak up the middle - at each level by the way. I’m pissed we are losing track of WRs though and we have one loss to show because of it. 
     

    DT will get addressed perhaps during this year, definitely next draft and free agency.   In the meantime, the WR group is humming along, the offensive line, the QB room.  We had major concerns some injuries, suspensions with each.  It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 
     

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    Same with Special Teams.  Can we get aligned correctly (we weren’t on the jets onside kick) and then 12 men this week and the fake the week before. 

    We're discussing concerns about the IDL and stopping the run. Not who we carefully assign 100% of the blame at.  I know you hate Joe Woods and you're not the only one concerned about him. That said, we also have a Head Coach that should be overseeing the repeated avoidable mistakes on the STs and Defense. 

    Whoever called the plays when the Browns beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs did a pretty good job as the scoring 48 points reminds us - no reason our HC can't give the same guy that role when 2 other units need more of his attention.  Speaking of which, we did go 11-5 that year they shelled out some money for FA DT Sheldon Richardson.  


  • To quote Jerry Jones “you can’t have it all”  Unless you are Ohio State they appear to have it all. 

    The Browns have decided based upon the roster composition and future financial commitments that the QB position, Offensive line, DE, Secondary  demand the largest focus when it comes to expending draft capital and spending money. Those groups better be buttoned up and polished.  I think we all expect very good to elite play here. I don’t like that we are weak up the middle - at each level by the way. I’m pissed we are losing track of WRs though and we have one loss to show because of it. 
     

    DT will get addressed perhaps during this year, definitely next draft and free agency.   In the meantime, the WR group is humming along, the offensive line, the QB room.  We had major concerns some injuries, suspensions with each.  It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 
     

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    Same with Special Teams.  Can we get aligned correctly (we weren’t on the jets onside kick) and then 12 men this week and the fake the week before. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #18

    @sdbacker80 said:

      It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    2002 Colts defense 

    37 rush att vs in the playoffs 

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301040nyj.htm

    2003 colts defense 

    27 rush att vs in the playoffs 

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2003.htm

    2004 colts defense 

    35 rush att vs in the playoffs 

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301040nyj.htm

    2005 colts defense 

    37 rush att vs in the playoffs

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200601150clt.htm

    ......

     The years after, even including the SuperBowl run, were not kind.   In truth, had the colts a defensive interior to match Freeney and Mathis, they likely would have gone to back to back Superbowls and not choked in 07 or 08 either. 

     I consider those colts teams as the predecessors to the current NFL as their primary personnel emphasis was on the passing game and pass rush.  Especially in the AFCS at that point, which had no offense able to keep pace with Peyton Manning.  

     Anytime Indy faced a team that would attempt to win a shootout, go match for match at receiver or try to neutralize their pass rush via Oline and the quick pass game, those teams quickly fell behind.  You simply weren't going to beat Peyton at his own game. 

     Enter New England, San Diego and Pittsburgh. Teams with offensive balance, but head coaches that were willing to run the rock early and often.   As a result, you ended up with, at the time, were considered serious upsets.    Because the most fundamentally and easily exploitable portion of your defense was so wildly imbalanced in relation to the rest of the teams strengths.  It's no different then how we've see TEN with Derrick Henry get upsets on KC and BUF back to back years. 

    INDY was built to beat teams inferior to them, or teams designed in a similar mold.  As I'm convinced they were at least a decade ahead of their time in this thought process.

    The 2005 colts would thrive 17 years later in the modern NFL. 

    There is no "coach it up" when you straight up lack talent.  That's akin to telling me to make the offense work with Johnny Manziel at QB.  

    "Scheme it up"...  I'm going to need to see some specifics on how you would design things around our current defensive issues before giving you my thoughts.  Because if you're going to say something like that, I'd expect details from someone possessed of knowledge. 

    Nobody would have blamed Tito for the Tribe getting 75 wins and an outside shot at a wildcard game. Not with the roster they currently have. But he overachieved with this group in classic Tito fashion.  The problem with football, is that it's a much more ecosystem and physically driven game.  So asking any coach to take 2nd and 3rd stringers, then forming a cohesive and effective unit that can mask their collective weakness is unfair and not founded in reality.  Coaches might able to get all they can, but that mileage isn't very much with this current IDL group.   There's a reason they start off drives hot, then look beaten down by middle of the 3rd.

     I'm not saying it's possible to find Haloti Ngata and park him along this interior group.  But I can't have teams, week after week, use the same methods to exploit systemic weakness.  Because then we start to speak to things that go further up the chain of command than Joe Woods'.  

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #19

    We are 2-1 because of our secondary.
     

    That’s not to say the weak defensive interior will get taken advantage this week when Atlanta runs zone read plays.

    But to date NFL is a bottom line game.  Our overpriced secondary which I expected more from has let this team down.  Pardon my focus here 

    We better step up here: London and Pitts are tough matchups.  And we know Joe doesn’t like to bring pressure 
     


  • To quote Jerry Jones “you can’t have it all”  Unless you are Ohio State they appear to have it all. 

    The Browns have decided based upon the roster composition and future financial commitments that the QB position, Offensive line, DE, Secondary  demand the largest focus when it comes to expending draft capital and spending money. Those groups better be buttoned up and polished.  I think we all expect very good to elite play here. I don’t like that we are weak up the middle - at each level by the way. I’m pissed we are losing track of WRs though and we have one loss to show because of it. 
     

    DT will get addressed perhaps during this year, definitely next draft and free agency.   In the meantime, the WR group is humming along, the offensive line, the QB room.  We had major concerns some injuries, suspensions with each.  It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 
     

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    Same with Special Teams.  Can we get aligned correctly (we weren’t on the jets onside kick) and then 12 men this week and the fake the week before. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @sdbacker80 said:


    To quote Jerry Jones “you can’t have it all”  Unless you are Ohio State they appear to have it all. 

    The Browns have decided based upon the roster composition and future financial commitments that the QB position, Offensive line, DE, Secondary  demand the largest focus when it comes to expending draft capital and spending money. Those groups better be buttoned up and polished.  I think we all expect very good to elite play here. I don’t like that we are weak up the middle - at each level by the way. I’m pissed we are losing track of WRs though and we have one loss to show because of it. 
     

    DT will get addressed perhaps during this year, definitely next draft and free agency.   In the meantime, the WR group is humming along, the offensive line, the QB room.  We had major concerns some injuries, suspensions with each.  It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 
     

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    Same with Special Teams.  Can we get aligned correctly (we weren’t on the jets onside kick) and then 12 men this week and the fake the week before. 

    Speaking of Ohio State, how did they lose to Michigan?  They lost in the trenches,  It doesn't matter how much Ohio State rathouses everyone else this year.  If they're not ready to stop the run against a legit team - they're not going to win it all. 

    As for giving Joe Woods everything?  Myles Garrett was drafted back in 2017.  It's 2022; and where are any other bad asses on the Defensive Line?  While JOK and Delpit seemed like ideal choices, both have missed more games to injury than they have started to date. Should we blame the Coordinator for those high round guys being injury prone?   Delpit had some injuries at LSU too.  So who else have we been spoiling Woods with?  I'll concede the 2 first round corners are nice.  And the rookie Emerson is already playing well.  The breakdowns on the field are from the players not communicating.  If they had any questions at all during the week of preparation - wasn't that a better time for professionals to make sure they got their answer?  And what about halftime or in between series.  This isn't youth football - it's okay to blame players too. 

    I LOVE to celebrate the Browns running game and the best starting Guards tandem in the league.  Our whole offense is built around that so I find it odd that people are okay with we'll just blame Woods for everything and it'll all work out as soon as he gets fired. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:


    To quote Jerry Jones “you can’t have it all”  Unless you are Ohio State they appear to have it all. 

    The Browns have decided based upon the roster composition and future financial commitments that the QB position, Offensive line, DE, Secondary  demand the largest focus when it comes to expending draft capital and spending money. Those groups better be buttoned up and polished.  I think we all expect very good to elite play here. I don’t like that we are weak up the middle - at each level by the way. I’m pissed we are losing track of WRs though and we have one loss to show because of it. 
     

    DT will get addressed perhaps during this year, definitely next draft and free agency.   In the meantime, the WR group is humming along, the offensive line, the QB room.  We had major concerns some injuries, suspensions with each.  It is early and there is still work but Coach it up, scheme it up and understand in the salary cap era we can’t have it all. 
     

    The FO can’t give Joe Woods everything…we are certainly doing our best to give him everything he needs.

    Same with Special Teams.  Can we get aligned correctly (we weren’t on the jets onside kick) and then 12 men this week and the fake the week before. 

    Speaking of Ohio State, how did they lose to Michigan?  They lost in the trenches,  It doesn't matter how much Ohio State rathouses everyone else this year.  If they're not ready to stop the run against a legit team - they're not going to win it all. 

    As for giving Joe Woods everything?  Myles Garrett was drafted back in 2017.  It's 2022; and where are any other bad asses on the Defensive Line?  While JOK and Delpit seemed like ideal choices, both have missed more games to injury than they have started to date. Should we blame the Coordinator for those high round guys being injury prone?   Delpit had some injuries at LSU too.  So who else have we been spoiling Woods with?  I'll concede the 2 first round corners are nice.  And the rookie Emerson is already playing well.  The breakdowns on the field are from the players not communicating.  If they had any questions at all during the week of preparation - wasn't that a better time for professionals to make sure they got their answer?  And what about halftime or in between series.  This isn't youth football - it's okay to blame players too. 

    I LOVE to celebrate the Browns running game and the best starting Guards tandem in the league.  Our whole offense is built around that so I find it odd that people are okay with we'll just blame Woods for everything and it'll all work out as soon as he gets fired. 

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #21

    @flugel said:

    Speaking of Ohio State, how did they lose to Michigan?  They lost in the trenches,  It doesn't matter how much Ohio State rathouses everyone else this year.  If they're not ready to stop the run against a legit team - they're not going to win it all. 

    As for giving Joe Woods everything?  Myles Garrett was drafted back in 2017.  It's 2022; and where are any other bad asses on the Defensive Line?  While JOK and Delpit seemed like ideal choices, both have missed more games to injury than they have started to date. Should we blame the Coordinator for those high round guys being injury prone?   Delpit had some injuries at LSU too.  So who else have we been spoiling Woods with?  I'll concede the 2 first round corners are nice.  And the rookie Emerson is already playing well.  The breakdowns on the field are from the players not communicating.  If they had any questions at all during the week of preparation - wasn't that a better time for professionals to make sure they got their answer?  And what about halftime or in between series.  This isn't youth football - it's okay to blame players too. 

    I LOVE to celebrate the Browns running game and the best starting Guards tandem in the league.  Our whole offense is built around that so I find it odd that people are okay with we'll just blame Woods for everything and it'll all work out as soon as he gets fired. 

    Ohio State didn’t have good secondary play either just like the Browns

    I gotta eat lunch. I’ll shoot these out…
     

    2022- first two picks on defense.

    2021- first two picks on defense.

    2020- three of our first four picks on Defense.

    We’ve done nothing for Myles except add one of the best free agent defensive pickups (back to back years) Jadevon Clowney to add to the other side.
     

    I would celebrate our offensive line because we had a guy Seattle didn’t want as our starting center.  He looks good thus far. James Hudson year 1 to 2 looks like a different guy. Injuries throughout the past three years it’s just next man up.