Skip to content

★ official gameday thread for ★ The BROWNS vs the falcunts ★

The Browns Board
268 25 9.7k 1
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by Canton Dawg

    For those who think Watson is going to take us to the promised land, Terry Pluto has some news for you. . .
     

    While Waiting For Watson, can we have a real talk about the Browns?
    – Terry Pluto’s Postgame Scribbles

    Yes, Deshaun Watson will help the Browns when he returns from his 11-game suspension, but something else is very wrong.

    CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook after the Browns lost 23-20 in Atlanta:

    1. Given Jacoby Brissett’s rocky second half and horrendous back-to-back plays near the end of the game, the drumbeat for Deshaun Watson will sound louder than John Adams in his prime banging his drum from the old Cleveland Stadium bleachers. Watson still has seven more games on his suspension.
     

    2. I’ll set aside the question of exactly how well and how quickly Watson will play when he returns on December 4. That will be 23 months since he last played in a regular NFL season game. But the Browns have more problems than Brissett.

    3. The Browns defense allowed 13 points in the fourth quarter in Atlanta. Before you bring up the “Browns didn’t have Myles Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney, Taven Bryan” explanation, can we do some research? With those starters, the Browns allowed 17 points in the fourth quarter to Baker Mayfield in Carolina. They allowed 17 points in the fourth quarter (14 in the final 1:55) to Joe Flacco and the Jets. Only against Pittsburgh (3 points) did the Browns defense play a good fourth quarter.
     

    4. It’s not just the QB play. The defense was supposed to be the strength of the team, at least until Watson plays. But what have we seen from Defensive Coordinator Joe Woods and his lads? They can’t make key stops. And they have yet to face an elite QB.
     

    5. Consider this game: Atlanta had scoring drives of 75-73-64 yards. That’s 212 yards in the fourth quarter! Know how many passes Atlanta completed on these drives? One. That pass covered 42 yards (another blown coverage). But the other 170 yards in the final period were on the ground.
     

    6. Atlanta star running back Cordarrelle Patterson had only one carry in the second half. He was dealing with a cranky knee. Undrafted Ball State product Caleb Huntley had only one carry this season. He rushed for 56 yards in 10 carries, including a TD. Backup rookie running back Tyler Allgeier had 84 yards rushing. They even put defensive back/return man Avery Williams into the game and he had a 21-yard run.
     

    7. The point is the guys running over the Browns for 202 yards were mostly backups. So it’s not as if the Browns reserves on the defensive line were facing the best of Atlanta’s roster. QB Marcus Mariota completed seven passes all day. Nothing tricky about Atlanta’s game plan in the second half: Run the ball until they stop us.
     

    8. So this is about more than Kevin Stefanski’s play-calling, which I didn’t like. I also think he needs to look at things differently. Stefanski said on going for it on a 4th-and-3 near the goal line: “We wanted to score 7 (points) in the red zone ... we didn’t come away with points and that’s on me.”
     

    9. Upon Further Review: The Browns have to understand what kind of team they have – and take three points early in the game. Kick the field goal. Yes, analytics lovers will say, “Go for it.” But that all depends on your QB – and your offense. Dating back to last season, the Browns have had problems running the ball into the end zone near the goal line.
     

    10. But the bottom line is the Browns defense has to shape up. It’s up to Woods and Stefanski to make that happen.

  • For those who think Watson is going to take us to the promised land, Terry Pluto has some news for you. . .
     

    While Waiting For Watson, can we have a real talk about the Browns?
    – Terry Pluto’s Postgame Scribbles

    Yes, Deshaun Watson will help the Browns when he returns from his 11-game suspension, but something else is very wrong.

    CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook after the Browns lost 23-20 in Atlanta:

    1. Given Jacoby Brissett’s rocky second half and horrendous back-to-back plays near the end of the game, the drumbeat for Deshaun Watson will sound louder than John Adams in his prime banging his drum from the old Cleveland Stadium bleachers. Watson still has seven more games on his suspension.
     

    2. I’ll set aside the question of exactly how well and how quickly Watson will play when he returns on December 4. That will be 23 months since he last played in a regular NFL season game. But the Browns have more problems than Brissett.

    3. The Browns defense allowed 13 points in the fourth quarter in Atlanta. Before you bring up the “Browns didn’t have Myles Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney, Taven Bryan” explanation, can we do some research? With those starters, the Browns allowed 17 points in the fourth quarter to Baker Mayfield in Carolina. They allowed 17 points in the fourth quarter (14 in the final 1:55) to Joe Flacco and the Jets. Only against Pittsburgh (3 points) did the Browns defense play a good fourth quarter.
     

    4. It’s not just the QB play. The defense was supposed to be the strength of the team, at least until Watson plays. But what have we seen from Defensive Coordinator Joe Woods and his lads? They can’t make key stops. And they have yet to face an elite QB.
     

    5. Consider this game: Atlanta had scoring drives of 75-73-64 yards. That’s 212 yards in the fourth quarter! Know how many passes Atlanta completed on these drives? One. That pass covered 42 yards (another blown coverage). But the other 170 yards in the final period were on the ground.
     

    6. Atlanta star running back Cordarrelle Patterson had only one carry in the second half. He was dealing with a cranky knee. Undrafted Ball State product Caleb Huntley had only one carry this season. He rushed for 56 yards in 10 carries, including a TD. Backup rookie running back Tyler Allgeier had 84 yards rushing. They even put defensive back/return man Avery Williams into the game and he had a 21-yard run.
     

    7. The point is the guys running over the Browns for 202 yards were mostly backups. So it’s not as if the Browns reserves on the defensive line were facing the best of Atlanta’s roster. QB Marcus Mariota completed seven passes all day. Nothing tricky about Atlanta’s game plan in the second half: Run the ball until they stop us.
     

    8. So this is about more than Kevin Stefanski’s play-calling, which I didn’t like. I also think he needs to look at things differently. Stefanski said on going for it on a 4th-and-3 near the goal line: “We wanted to score 7 (points) in the red zone ... we didn’t come away with points and that’s on me.”
     

    9. Upon Further Review: The Browns have to understand what kind of team they have – and take three points early in the game. Kick the field goal. Yes, analytics lovers will say, “Go for it.” But that all depends on your QB – and your offense. Dating back to last season, the Browns have had problems running the ball into the end zone near the goal line.
     

    10. But the bottom line is the Browns defense has to shape up. It’s up to Woods and Stefanski to make that happen.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    For those who think Watson is going to take us to the promised land, Terry Pluto has some news for you. . .
     

    While Waiting For Watson, can we have a real talk about the Browns?
    – Terry Pluto’s Postgame Scribbles

    Yes, Deshaun Watson will help the Browns when he returns from his 11-game suspension, but something else is very wrong.
    10. But the bottom line is the Browns defense has to shape up. It’s up to Woods and Stefanski to make that happen.

    Want to know something that will really scare the beejeebus out of you?  The Browns have yet to play an elite offense. That changes Sunday when Justin Herbert and the NFL's #1 passing crew pays a visit to the Lakefront.... 🙁 

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    19A7E5B2-3CE2-4E17-9C81-F96CD3FB3C16.jpeg

  • @flugel said:

    I totally agree; but there's a group of guys that blame 100% of this team's problems on Joe Woods.  You'll see what I'm talking about soon enough.  They'll pretend we had the best DL in the league on the field all day long and how could our DC lose this game on us.  Just watch.

    They just don’t seem to have good coaching ANYWHERE

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @browns149 said:

    They just don’t seem to have good coaching ANYWHERE

    Unfortunately, most of the good coaching you have seen was from the 2 teams that weren't supposed to beat the Browns.

    I think our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

    Let's see what they do...

  • For those who think Watson is going to take us to the promised land, Terry Pluto has some news for you. . .
     

    While Waiting For Watson, can we have a real talk about the Browns?
    – Terry Pluto’s Postgame Scribbles

    Yes, Deshaun Watson will help the Browns when he returns from his 11-game suspension, but something else is very wrong.

    CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook after the Browns lost 23-20 in Atlanta:

    1. Given Jacoby Brissett’s rocky second half and horrendous back-to-back plays near the end of the game, the drumbeat for Deshaun Watson will sound louder than John Adams in his prime banging his drum from the old Cleveland Stadium bleachers. Watson still has seven more games on his suspension.
     

    2. I’ll set aside the question of exactly how well and how quickly Watson will play when he returns on December 4. That will be 23 months since he last played in a regular NFL season game. But the Browns have more problems than Brissett.

    3. The Browns defense allowed 13 points in the fourth quarter in Atlanta. Before you bring up the “Browns didn’t have Myles Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney, Taven Bryan” explanation, can we do some research? With those starters, the Browns allowed 17 points in the fourth quarter to Baker Mayfield in Carolina. They allowed 17 points in the fourth quarter (14 in the final 1:55) to Joe Flacco and the Jets. Only against Pittsburgh (3 points) did the Browns defense play a good fourth quarter.
     

    4. It’s not just the QB play. The defense was supposed to be the strength of the team, at least until Watson plays. But what have we seen from Defensive Coordinator Joe Woods and his lads? They can’t make key stops. And they have yet to face an elite QB.
     

    5. Consider this game: Atlanta had scoring drives of 75-73-64 yards. That’s 212 yards in the fourth quarter! Know how many passes Atlanta completed on these drives? One. That pass covered 42 yards (another blown coverage). But the other 170 yards in the final period were on the ground.
     

    6. Atlanta star running back Cordarrelle Patterson had only one carry in the second half. He was dealing with a cranky knee. Undrafted Ball State product Caleb Huntley had only one carry this season. He rushed for 56 yards in 10 carries, including a TD. Backup rookie running back Tyler Allgeier had 84 yards rushing. They even put defensive back/return man Avery Williams into the game and he had a 21-yard run.
     

    7. The point is the guys running over the Browns for 202 yards were mostly backups. So it’s not as if the Browns reserves on the defensive line were facing the best of Atlanta’s roster. QB Marcus Mariota completed seven passes all day. Nothing tricky about Atlanta’s game plan in the second half: Run the ball until they stop us.
     

    8. So this is about more than Kevin Stefanski’s play-calling, which I didn’t like. I also think he needs to look at things differently. Stefanski said on going for it on a 4th-and-3 near the goal line: “We wanted to score 7 (points) in the red zone ... we didn’t come away with points and that’s on me.”
     

    9. Upon Further Review: The Browns have to understand what kind of team they have – and take three points early in the game. Kick the field goal. Yes, analytics lovers will say, “Go for it.” But that all depends on your QB – and your offense. Dating back to last season, the Browns have had problems running the ball into the end zone near the goal line.
     

    10. But the bottom line is the Browns defense has to shape up. It’s up to Woods and Stefanski to make that happen.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    Terry Pluto has some news for you. .

    I like Pluto and usually agree with his thinking.

    ...and he told it like it was for our defense.  With backup running backs nobody's heard of, they smashed the ball right down our throats for scores for the whole of the 4th quarter.  I was watching their second drive down our throats when I found myself thinking like a basketball coach, "Call Time Out!"   Ya know?  Just to stop the run?  Huddle up on the sidelines and tell one another, THEY'RE GONNA RUN THE BALL!  TACKLE HIM!   🙂   But sadly, our DLinemen were no match for the Falcons OL.   

    And 'we knew' that the Falcons were the 5th best running team in the league before the game.  That's not just about the RB's, it says something about the OL's run blocking abilities.  I was actually quite surprised that they passed so much earlier in the game.....but they adjusted that at halftime.  Their running abilities and our decimated front 7 was a baaad  matchup.   Our PS RB John Kelly would've torn us up from Atlanta's backfield.  

  •  I'm likely not going to go back and read responses from this thread.  But looking at stat lines from avg yards carried per, 3rd down conversions, drive totals, etc etc.   It really speaks to where this team is weakest.

    QB

    DL.  

    You're starting a backup at QB who is one of the most risk averse passers in the NFL.

    Your starting Dline right to left was - UDFA, 4th round tweener backup, 3rd round rotational depth, 4th round rookie.  

    Where were the Browns worst area's today? (and every week)

    Avg depth of target throws (QB)

    YPC surrendered and explosive runs given up.   (DL)

     You really don't have to say anything more than that.   I just don't understand some of the bitching when the flaws of this team are evident and easily exploitable.    If you believed or were lead to believe this team was somehow supremely talented, then I don't know whose ass your head was up this entire time then?    Because it sure wasn't mine. 

    edit: opening drive though - HUGE problem I have with Stef.  I get modern analytics says to be aggressive there on the 4th down call, but you have to read the room and take the points there. Keep the big Mo on your side and reward your opening drive.  Because we would have been 2 of 4 getting ANY points on opening drives.   That's a big deal when you look at it in percentages.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     I'm likely not going to go back and read responses from this thread.  But looking at stat lines from avg yards carried per, 3rd down conversions, drive totals, etc etc.   It really speaks to where this team is weakest.

    QB

    DL.  

    Where were the Browns worst area's today? (and every week)

    Avg depth of target throws (QB)

    YPC surrendered and explosive runs given up.   (DL)

     You really don't have to say anything more than that.   I just don't understand some of the bitching when the flaws of this team are evident and easily exploitable.    If you believed or were lead to believe this team was somehow supremely talented, then I don't know whose ass your head was up this entire time then?    Because it sure wasn't mine. 

    Normally I'm not the "go find veterans" a month into the season, but our DT are literally playing at the worst clips (per PFF) in the NFL. There's literally no way a dude like Suh could be worse, why not take a low risk?

  • @tiamat63 said:

     I'm likely not going to go back and read responses from this thread.  But looking at stat lines from avg yards carried per, 3rd down conversions, drive totals, etc etc.   It really speaks to where this team is weakest.

    QB

    DL.  

    Where were the Browns worst area's today? (and every week)

    Avg depth of target throws (QB)

    YPC surrendered and explosive runs given up.   (DL)

     You really don't have to say anything more than that.   I just don't understand some of the bitching when the flaws of this team are evident and easily exploitable.    If you believed or were lead to believe this team was somehow supremely talented, then I don't know whose ass your head was up this entire time then?    Because it sure wasn't mine. 

    Normally I'm not the "go find veterans" a month into the season, but our DT are literally playing at the worst clips (per PFF) in the NFL. There's literally no way a dude like Suh could be worse, why not take a low risk?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @jrb12711 said:

    Normally I'm not the "go find veterans" a month into the season, but our DT are literally playing at the worst clips (per PFF) in the NFL. There's literally no way a dude like Suh could be worse, why not take a low risk?

     That's assuming Suh wants to join this team.  Remember, he has a pick on when and where he wishes to play.   

    Edit: I'm keeping an eye for out going, lame duck type coaching staffs and undervalued players on those types of teams. 

     If I'm Andrew Berry, I'm paying attention to the situation in Carolina.  Because they have depth at IDL and Bravvion Roy would be available in an early fire sale.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Normally I'm not the "go find veterans" a month into the season, but our DT are literally playing at the worst clips (per PFF) in the NFL. There's literally no way a dude like Suh could be worse, why not take a low risk?

     That's assuming Suh wants to join this team.  Remember, he has a pick on when and where he wishes to play.   

    Edit: I'm keeping an eye for out going, lame duck type coaching staffs and undervalued players on those types of teams. 

     If I'm Andrew Berry, I'm paying attention to the situation in Carolina.  Because they have depth at IDL and Bravvion Roy would be available in an early fire sale.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     That's assuming Suh wants to join this team.  Remember, he has a pick on when and where he wishes to play.   

    Edit: I'm keeping an eye for out going, lame duck type coaching staffs and undervalued players on those types of teams. 

     If I'm Andrew Berry, I'm paying attention to the situation in Carolina.  Because they have depth at IDL and Bravvion Roy would be available in an early fire sale.

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80

    Okay Suh signs with us. Myles comes back healthy same with Clowney.

    We still needs Jacob Phillips to play better.  Other than a big stop towards the end of the game- what I saw When he was clean He was sniffing in the wrong hole and over pursuing stuff all day.

    Taki needs to learn how to shed blockers better.  I hope we limit his snap count more. 

    Here’s my complaint before you all get your panties in wad that I don’t like Joe Woods.  I would move JOK all around and I would send him after the QB more…but I think we have to stop the run much better first to get to some of those 2nd and 3rd and longs.

    Can we all admit we play better man coverage until we see the Ravens we should probably play it more?

    Im not wasting anymore key strokes this week on this team.

    Go Tribe/Guards. go Buckeyes 

  • @browns149 said:

    They just don’t seem to have good coaching ANYWHERE

    Unfortunately, most of the good coaching you have seen was from the 2 teams that weren't supposed to beat the Browns.

    I think our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

    Let's see what they do...

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80

    @flugel said:

    Unfortunately, most of the good coaching you have seen was from the 2 teams that weren't supposed to beat the Browns.

    I KNOW our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

    Let's see what they do...

    Fixed it for you. 
     

  • @browns149 said:

    They just don’t seem to have good coaching ANYWHERE

    Unfortunately, most of the good coaching you have seen was from the 2 teams that weren't supposed to beat the Browns.

    I think our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

    Let's see what they do...

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Unfortunately, most of the good coaching you have seen was from the 2 teams that weren't supposed to beat the Browns.

    I think our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

    Let's see what they do...

    Well then it's clear he needs a gig as an OC... He's too cunty to be a HC...

  • @tiamat63 said:

     That's assuming Suh wants to join this team.  Remember, he has a pick on when and where he wishes to play.   

    Edit: I'm keeping an eye for out going, lame duck type coaching staffs and undervalued players on those types of teams. 

     If I'm Andrew Berry, I'm paying attention to the situation in Carolina.  Because they have depth at IDL and Bravvion Roy would be available in an early fire sale.

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @jrb12711 said:

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

     I would have no reason to believe it isn't for a ring chase.  He's already got one, not much point in beating up your body further unless you're in the hunt for a 2nd. 

     Even then it's still barely a stop gap option.  He'd be coming in on a pitch count, which means fewer snaps as a pass rusher - something he's been pretty good at from the IDL.     Increase his snap count and that likely means you put even more wear and tear on him should you make a playoff push.  

    There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

     I would have no reason to believe it isn't for a ring chase.  He's already got one, not much point in beating up your body further unless you're in the hunt for a 2nd. 

     Even then it's still barely a stop gap option.  He'd be coming in on a pitch count, which means fewer snaps as a pass rusher - something he's been pretty good at from the IDL.     Increase his snap count and that likely means you put even more wear and tear on him should you make a playoff push.  

    There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

     I would have no reason to believe it isn't for a ring chase.  He's already got one, not much point in beating up your body further unless you're in the hunt for a 2nd. 

     Even then it's still barely a stop gap option.  He'd be coming in on a pitch count, which means fewer snaps as a pass rusher - something he's been pretty good at from the IDL.     Increase his snap count and that likely means you put even more wear and tear on him should you make a playoff push.  

    There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

    I was listening to Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller not too long they mentioned Suh’s average snap count was actually pretty high just last year (I want to say in the 40s). 

    He’s good for a couple splash plays, a personal foul but at least he might keep a backer clean more often than not.

    But he ain’t coming here but it wouldn’t surprise me if our FO and Coaches said no anyway. 
     

    I mentioned him before Eddie Goldman…but he apparently retired. Does he want to come back?  And I’ll admit and moving away from our line and to our backers.  I thought Anthony Walker was pretty overrated…I think we miss him a lot I don’t think Philips is the guy at least not full time. 
     

  • @tiamat63 said:

     I would have no reason to believe it isn't for a ring chase.  He's already got one, not much point in beating up your body further unless you're in the hunt for a 2nd. 

     Even then it's still barely a stop gap option.  He'd be coming in on a pitch count, which means fewer snaps as a pass rusher - something he's been pretty good at from the IDL.     Increase his snap count and that likely means you put even more wear and tear on him should you make a playoff push.  

    There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

    I was listening to Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller not too long they mentioned Suh’s average snap count was actually pretty high just last year (I want to say in the 40s). 

    He’s good for a couple splash plays, a personal foul but at least he might keep a backer clean more often than not.

    But he ain’t coming here but it wouldn’t surprise me if our FO and Coaches said no anyway. 
     

    I mentioned him before Eddie Goldman…but he apparently retired. Does he want to come back?  And I’ll admit and moving away from our line and to our backers.  I thought Anthony Walker was pretty overrated…I think we miss him a lot I don’t think Philips is the guy at least not full time. 
     

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I was listening to Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller not too long they mentioned Suh’s average snap count was actually pretty high just last year (I want to say in the 40s). 

    He’s good for a couple splash plays, a personal foul but at least he might keep a backer clean more often than not.

    But he ain’t coming here but it wouldn’t surprise me if our FO and Coaches said no anyway. 
     

    I mentioned him before Eddie Goldman…but he apparently retired. Does he want to come back?  And I’ll admit and moving away from our line and to our backers.  I thought Anthony Walker was pretty overrated…I think we miss him a lot I don’t think Philips is the guy at least not full time. 
     

     Don't forget, the large part of that increase was due to the Bucks losing Vita Vea in week 10.     While Anthony Walker isn't great, he isn't so disgustingly out of position like Phillips is.   He actually has a bit of discipline and awareness in coverage.  The real problem is he's a bit undersized and lacks any real pop on ball carriers.

     Phillips is a special teamer and backup.  Taki is almost a traditional SAM, and he gets pulled off the field quite a bit when we're in nickel and dime.  Might help to explain why his level of play looks good so far this year.    Either way, looking left to right, most of our defensive front 7 are highly flawed as individual players.  And none of those flaws allow that group to be better than the sum of their parts.

  • @tiamat63 said:

     That's assuming Suh wants to join this team.  Remember, he has a pick on when and where he wishes to play.   

    Edit: I'm keeping an eye for out going, lame duck type coaching staffs and undervalued players on those types of teams. 

     If I'm Andrew Berry, I'm paying attention to the situation in Carolina.  Because they have depth at IDL and Bravvion Roy would be available in an early fire sale.

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @jrb12711 said:

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

    I haven't heard that and I live in Tampa and listen to a lot of sports radio here.  We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

  • @jrb12711 said:

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

     I would have no reason to believe it isn't for a ring chase.  He's already got one, not much point in beating up your body further unless you're in the hunt for a 2nd. 

     Even then it's still barely a stop gap option.  He'd be coming in on a pitch count, which means fewer snaps as a pass rusher - something he's been pretty good at from the IDL.     Increase his snap count and that likely means you put even more wear and tear on him should you make a playoff push.  

    There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @tiamat63 said:

      There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

    was expecting Denver to make a offer on D'Ernest Johnson this week.. We missed on Denver's DT DJ Jones as a FA from 9'ers.. DJ's locked up in Denver 4 years.. A green dot LB'er in Denver? Not worth giving up DJ, not knowing Hunt's where about's next season 

    Andrew Berry's roll over cap saving plan, I'm not a fan of (like bringing Drew Forbes back/ was a real need?).. but the Ravens keep spending it  

  • @browns149 said:

    They just don’t seem to have good coaching ANYWHERE

    Unfortunately, most of the good coaching you have seen was from the 2 teams that weren't supposed to beat the Browns.

    I think our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

    Let's see what they do...

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @flugel said:

    I think our Offensive Line Coach (Callahan) and his Assistant are keepers.  I also like our RB Coach Stump Mitchell too.  It's tough to evaluate our OC because Stefanski seems like that's all he wants to do is call plays and run the offense.  

    Let's see what they do...

     Flugel wins the coaching aftermath of the week ^^ 😁 ?

    Now can we talk about ST coach Mike Priefer?  Choice of Ronnie Harrison as a gunner? Does he know to let nice punts roll to the goal-line? ?

    edit-- RB/KR J.Ford to IR- https://www.brownszone.com/2022/10/04/rookie-jerome-ford-placed-on-ir-with-ankle-injury/

  • @jrb12711 said:

    allegedly the Browns were on his list of teams to join. Could be wrong, too, but I would cast doubt a month into not being employed he's being super picky unless it's truly a ring chasing thing.

    Something's gotta give though, that's for sure. I get you can't polish a turd but it's brutal to watch.

    I haven't heard that and I live in Tampa and listen to a lot of sports radio here.  We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    I haven't heard that and I live in Tampa and listen to a lot of sports radio here.  We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

    Callie Brownson?

  • @tiamat63 said:

      There are no real short term FA answers.  That's why I've turned my attention to trades and the draft.

    was expecting Denver to make a offer on D'Ernest Johnson this week.. We missed on Denver's DT DJ Jones as a FA from 9'ers.. DJ's locked up in Denver 4 years.. A green dot LB'er in Denver? Not worth giving up DJ, not knowing Hunt's where about's next season 

    Andrew Berry's roll over cap saving plan, I'm not a fan of (like bringing Drew Forbes back/ was a real need?).. but the Ravens keep spending it  

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion

    @gumby73 said:

    was expecting Denver to make a offer on D'Ernest Johnson this week..

    They put Ford on IR today so D'E is on double deck.  (D'E made a nice ST tackle against Atl)

    @flugel said:

    We could really use a man named Suh on our IDL right now - but what's the attraction for him here?

    Well, if we would've won these two stupid games that we lost there would've been an attraction.    Now, we're a deep fall-back.  

    I like Stefanski.  I've liked him right from the start.  But I haven't liked the analytical approach to 4th down.  It's too aggressive.  4th and too long.  4th and our side of the field.  4th and pass up the FG.   I mean, sure, when you're behind on the scoreboard and the clock is about to get important, then you can turn up the aggression somewhat on 4th downs.  But there's a time and a place.  Coming off the field with your heads down and no points because you put together a long, sustained drive that stalled inside the 5 yard line and didn't take the 3 points, that hurts.  And it hurts worse than if you kicked the FG and missed...because then you can blame the kicker and not the offense (so much).

    My philosophy:  Early in the game, take the points that are there for you.  Don't force things until you're forced to.  

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    I'm still watching the All-22 and charting snaps.  I always end up writing down side questions, this has been my biggest one so far this season.

    - Is it just me, or are defenses playing more 2 high even on early downs?  I could swear most of these coordinators are working with a ton more cover 4.    Found this when I went looking for statistical answers.

    Rates of Cover-1 man have dropped to 19.8% [in 2022] from a four-year average of 26.5%. Schemes with multiple deep safeties have jumped, including Cover-2 zone (up to 13.8% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.2%) and Quarters (up to 14.7% usage in 2022 from a four-year average of 11.4%).

    Well then, that's certainly something.