2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects
-
- This one really caught my eye, from Yahoo Sports March 4.
INDIANAPOLIS — As soon as the height and weight digits trickled down Saturday morning for Alabama quarterback Bryce Young, the predictable avalanche of comparison rumbled in behind it.
Standing 5-feet-10 and 1/8th of an inch tall. Weighing in at 204 pounds. Cue the social media jukebox and set it for replay ...
Just like Kyler Murray, who registered the exact same height at the NFL combine in 2019 and came in only three pounds heavier.
A lazy comparison ?
“Absolutely,” an NFC West talent evaluator told Yahoo Sports.
“That was what we expected,” chimed in another evaluator, who spent significant time canvassing both Young and Murray. “We knew [the similarities] even if fans didn’t.”
In a world of NFL Draft study that is seemingly always seeking readily obvious road maps for comparison, Alabama’s Young has long seemed destined to fall into the 2019 “Murray conundrum” — a debate that weighs elite level quarterback talent against the risk of sub-optimal size. It was the burden shouldered by Murray four years ago when the Arizona Cardinals were zeroing in on the former Oklahoma quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick, focusing a portion of their evaluation by mapping him against stature-deficient quarterbacks like now-retired QB Drew Brees and Denver Broncos QB Russell Wilson. ----- CONTINUED----->
-
-----> The end of that road featured Murray being deemed worth the risk of not featuring ideal quarterback size, resulting in his selection with the first pick. Yes, he wasn’t in the league’s quarterback wheelhouse that falls somewhere around 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds. But Murray’s overall skill set was special enough that the Cardinals rolled the dice on him being one of the history-defying outliers.
Now we’re four seasons and a handful of injuries later, and the dice-roll on Murray has been met with mixed reviews. Undoubtedly one of the league’s most dynamic playmakers when he’s performing at his peak, the questions dogging Murray now have been about his leadership and inability to play through seasons without some kind of impactful injury. Despite those continued questions, he landed a 5-year $230.5 million contract extension, cementing his stature as a player who defines the “outlying” class of quarterbacks. And with that, he joins the class of Brees and Wilson when it comes to pressing Bryce Young’s evaluation against historic predecessors.But as was the case comparing Murray against Brees and Wilson in 2019, evaluators are rolling their eyes at those who are drawing some kind of direct line between Young and Murray.
“Size is the only thing they have in common,” the NFC West evaluator said.
That opinion wasn’t an anomaly, either. Seven evaluators from different teams all expressed some version of the same conclusion: Other than height and weight, Murray and Young have dramatic differences in their game and skill level — including some that favor Murray and others that favor Young. And even when it comes to that size comparison, predicting a similar injury path is tricky at best, because teams don’t view them as being built to handle some of the same rigors, either.
“Height and weight isn’t even an accurate [predictor] if you’re debating how you feel about the potential for an injury,” an NFC general manager said. “Drew [Brees] and Russell [Wilson] next to each other — not to knock Drew, but Russell looks like he can take some hits. Drew looks like he’s in competitive cycling. Now put those two next to Cam Newton in a draft. S***, Cam looked like he could have been a defensive end. And everyone would have been wrong about who was going to be durable between those three. Partly because of how each guy played the position. We can’t ignore that. But that’s going to be a similar thing with Bryce Young and Kyler Murray, too.”
Asked to parse out the differences between Young and Murray if they really aren’t similar players beyond their size, there was a consensus on almost every point. Murray was evaluated as a more elite athlete — with a better throwing arm, better athleticism and a more evasive running style. He also is a player who teams expect believe represented an accurate weight when he came in at 207 pounds in 2019.
“Kyler is more physically gifted across the board,” one AFC general manager said. “Bryce is the more skilled passer and mature person and professional. I think Bryce will be better when he is in the field but I question whether he will hold up from a durability standpoint without elite physical traits to escape. I would bet he didn’t play [at Alabama] at 204. I think he’ll fill in as he gets older later in his career.” ----> continued--->
-
One class left.. RB/OL today at 1 PM..
My interest is to settle on a late round RB. Evan Hall vs. Deuce Vaughn vs. my local favorite Keaton Mitchell..
Combining this class of DB/WR/TE.. 10 players fell on the all time Top Performer list ?..
Not convinced this is a B overall draft graded year.. stick with mid C / imo
-
I get it Peen.. I'd like to talk to the guy in charge of
Of paying a young street FA minimum// vs watching drafted receivers drop balls...
carry on to day 2.. The Tracker https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/live-results/40-yard-dash/all-positions/all-colleges/
DL/LB/DB's*.. 40's & 3 cones that still include some Day 1's in top 11.. 4.45's is still moving..Cone's under 7.11's are some loose/not stiff movers either..
Let's see who can out track some DB's, in this wide open WR class ? TE's class looks to have some nice depth options too
Enjoy!
I get it Peen.. I'd like to talk to the guy in charge of
Of paying a young street FA minimum// vs watching drafted receivers drop balls...
carry on to day 2.. The Tracker https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/live-results/40-yard-dash/all-positions/all-colleges/
DL/LB/DB's*.. 40's & 3 cones that still include some Day 1's in top 11.. 4.45's is still moving..Cone's under 7.11's are some loose/not stiff movers either..
Let's see who can out track some DB's, in this wide open WR class ? TE's class looks to have some nice depth options too
Enjoy!
No problem Gumbs! They put the 3rd round straight ahead speedster from Auburn on anti anxiety prescriptions in his 3rd NFL season. That'll definitely turn a guy that's not a football player into a football player. Look how easy it has been in this experiment. All we have to do now is hire a Dr Frankenstein clone to surgically rewire every prospect the Browns reach on. Who uses film to see if guys can catch or tackle? The Chiefs. Andy Reid was asked what he thought of being the team that drafted Nick Bolton in round 2. He said we drafted him because he was the best tackler we saw in the draft. You don't say Andy!!!!! Nothing about how fast he is, how agile he is. Just the best tackler, which often means instinctive enough to be in position to make a tackle (with his head up to guarantee the tackle). He didn't have to be lighter or more athletic than everyone else or run elite 40s. He just had to show up on film and be healthy enough to play. It has to be nice being a fan of a team that uses film. Drafting guys that can't catch in round 3 or bad tacklers full of bad habits in round 3 can perpetuate the last place finishes here.
-
It's not preconceived or "mythical".
At his size, especially if he lacks the playing time, development/skills as an off-ball linebacker (generally making him a liability) that means he's strictly a DPR. Where he can possibly grow into an expanded role in year 2 and 3. The problem, is that you're now drafting him almost purely on athletic ability and hoping to install a ground level understanding of another role, while already being at the NFL level. Generally that doesn't work out, especially when you consider we have another great athlete around 6'1 220ishlbs already playing the WILL backer spot in Young JOK.
Opinion subject to change depending on what shows up down the season in film. But the Von, Shazier and Micah names I dropped weren't JUST for their measurables. They all played multiple roles in their respective defenses well before making it pro.
Right now he would come in and essentially be kiki Mingo. Minus the wingspan.
Well surely then we could find ourselves a Manziel Mayfield III in this draft in a more appropriate round.?
Well surely then we could find ourselves a Manziel Mayfield III in this draft in a more appropriate round.?
After we steal the next Anthony Schwartz or next Alex Wright in round 3 of course. That's how the Browns keep outsmarting everyone right?
-
Well surely then we could find ourselves a Manziel Mayfield III in this draft in a more appropriate round.?
After we steal the next Anthony Schwartz or next Alex Wright in round 3 of course. That's how the Browns keep outsmarting everyone right?
-
Somewhat odd ?
What comes next/ is a Teams Pro Day schedule..
March 7: Indiana
March 9: Harvard, Nevada, Texas
March 10: Illinois, Rice
March 13: Oregon State, South Carolina, Western Michigan
March 14: Northwestern, Oregon
March 15: Georgia, Louisiana, Mercer, Michigan State, Minnesota, UCLA
March 17: Michigan
March 20: Bowling Green, Iowa, James Madison, Syracuse, Toledo
March 21: Maine, Ohio, Princeton
March 22: Bryant, Ohio State, SMU, Stanford, Temple, UAB, UConn, UTSA, Weber State
March 23: Alabama, Cincinnati, Holy Cross, Stephen F. Austin, Utah, William & Mary, Wisconsin, Yale
March 24: Boston College, Houston, Kentucky, Missouri, Old Dominion, San Jose State
March 27: Boise State, Memphis, Miami, North Carolina, Sam Houston State, West Virginia
March 28: Arkansas State, NC State, Texas A&M, Washington State, Vanderbilt
March 29: Arkansas, Incarnate Word, LSU, Maryland, North Dakota State, North Texas, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh, Texas Tech, Washington, Wake Forest, Western Kentucky
March 30: Appalachian State, Oklahoma, TCU
March 31: Florida State, Kansas, Kansas State
April 5: Montana State
@dutch-oven I've looked at many schedule sites.. And can't seem to find a Penn State's anywhere.. Maybe clearing WR Parker Washington might have something to do with scheduling a Penn State Pro day ?
We could use a replacement Jarvis Landry anywhere
-
to Those interested in WR RAS scores as a group..
RAS scores.. 10 high to low@mathbomb (individual's can be found here)for the WRs who did testing yesterday. Seems like a less disappointing group when viewed this way, I think? (Only three below-average RAS scores, most top guys with very high-level production.) -
Achane's 40 was 3rd best in the 2023 combine at 4.32 secs. Two CBs had 4.26 and 4.30.
EDIT: That was the 4th fastest RB 40 in the past 20 years of the combine.
-
One class left.. RB/OL today at 1 PM..
My interest is to settle on a late round RB. Evan Hall vs. Deuce Vaughn vs. my local favorite Keaton Mitchell..
Combining this class of DB/WR/TE.. 10 players fell on the all time Top Performer list ?..
Not convinced this is a B overall draft graded year.. stick with mid C / imo
-
atta ECU Pirate Keaton Mitchell ?
4.38 40.. ranks 3rd, with #1 10 split of 1.48
Go catch the ball Key !
atta ECU Pirate Keaton Mitchell ?
4.38 40.. ranks 3rd, with #1 10 split of 1.48
Go catch the ball Key !
Give you one guess who came in #2 in the 10 yd split at 1.51. A clue can be found above. And what does that tell you? The other one is the long distance home run hitter that few DBs can catch when he breaks through. They may both be right there in the 2nd when we pick, maybe one is BPA. Ya never know.
-
I don't know much about Mitchell. Will have to check.
I really like Achane, but I really doubt we use a 2nd rounder on a back.
My feeling is Berry discounts backs a bit. Most teams do to some degree. I would love to get the guy if he was there for us in the 3rd, or even try to work a trade to move up to get him if he falls a bit further than 42, and i think he will.
He might be near BPA at 42, but that might be on some boards, but not on ours.
Also, I saw something in one of the articles that Berry thinks Ford can fill the receiving back role. I think Achanes value will be determined by how many teams think he can play 3 downs. If most see him as a Sproles type player, then he probably drops to the 3rd or further. If a team or twelve think he can take the rock on a regular basis and be productive, then he won't make it to 42.
-
"A concern of Scott’s game is his drops. According to Pro Football Focus, Scott had a drop rate of 11.3%"
As much as I love the story of a local kid, that's damn near going to scratch him immediately off my list. Seen too many receivers with questionable hands come through. And my cut-off is about that 9% mark, volume dependent.
I thought that was the WR with the insane drop rate, but when I looked him up a scouting report didn't mention it (what?) so I thought perhaps it was another local kid I was mixing him up with.
I still like the Penn State kid, though.
I thought that was the WR with the insane drop rate, but when I looked him up a scouting report didn't mention it (what?) so I thought perhaps it was another local kid I was mixing him up with.
I still like the Penn State kid, though.
Not to put any pressure on you or jinx ya - but you got me intrigued by him too! The good news about that is if he disappoints - you can blame me.
I usually get 2 draft magazines that are a good guide; but I haven't seen either one yet. They usually come out right after the Combines without the recently updated 40 times. Last year, I only found Lindy's Sports Pro Football Draft here in Florida. They prolly think people in Florida can't read or something judging by head-on collisions on 1 way streets and the "No Cop No Stop" tickets being given right next to those adorable red stop signs. We can read - honest!
-
I don't know much about Mitchell. Will have to check.
I really like Achane, but I really doubt we use a 2nd rounder on a back.
My feeling is Berry discounts backs a bit. Most teams do to some degree. I would love to get the guy if he was there for us in the 3rd, or even try to work a trade to move up to get him if he falls a bit further than 42, and i think he will.
He might be near BPA at 42, but that might be on some boards, but not on ours.
Also, I saw something in one of the articles that Berry thinks Ford can fill the receiving back role. I think Achanes value will be determined by how many teams think he can play 3 downs. If most see him as a Sproles type player, then he probably drops to the 3rd or further. If a team or twelve think he can take the rock on a regular basis and be productive, then he won't make it to 42.
I don't know much about Mitchell. Will have to check.
I really like Achane, but I really doubt we use a 2nd rounder on a back.
My feeling is Berry discounts backs a bit. Most teams do to some degree. I would love to get the guy if he was there for us in the 3rd, or even try to work a trade to move up to get him if he falls a bit further than 42, and i think he will.
He might be near BPA at 42, but that might be on some boards, but not on ours.
Also, I saw something in one of the articles that Berry thinks Ford can fill the receiving back role. I think Achanes value will be determined by how many teams think he can play 3 downs. If most see him as a Sproles type player, then he probably drops to the 3rd or further. If a team or twelve think he can take the rock on a regular basis and be productive, then he won't make it to 42.
Ss Antonio Johnson or Jordan Battle might be there too as BPA and position of need. And I agree on Ford. I like him a lot and think he gets a greater role should we drop or trade a RB.
-
A.T. Perry still looking good. Reminds me of Michael Jenkins at times.
Also, speaking of Buckeyes - Stroud really showing out for that #1 overall, #1 QB.
-
I thought that was the WR with the insane drop rate, but when I looked him up a scouting report didn't mention it (what?) so I thought perhaps it was another local kid I was mixing him up with.
I still like the Penn State kid, though.
Not to put any pressure on you or jinx ya - but you got me intrigued by him too! The good news about that is if he disappoints - you can blame me.
I usually get 2 draft magazines that are a good guide; but I haven't seen either one yet. They usually come out right after the Combines without the recently updated 40 times. Last year, I only found Lindy's Sports Pro Football Draft here in Florida. They prolly think people in Florida can't read or something judging by head-on collisions on 1 way streets and the "No Cop No Stop" tickets being given right next to those adorable red stop signs. We can read - honest!
Not to put any pressure on you or jinx ya - but you got me intrigued by him too! The good news about that is if he disappoints - you can blame me.
I usually get 2 draft magazines that are a good guide; but I haven't seen either one yet. They usually come out right after the Combines without the recently updated 40 times. Last year, I only found Lindy's Sports Pro Football Draft here in Florida. They prolly think people in Florida can't read or something judging by head-on collisions on 1 way streets and the "No Cop No Stop" tickets being given right next to those adorable red stop signs. We can read - honest!
I usually look for the Lindy's magazine around St. Patrick's Day, that seems to be when it comes out.
-
atta ECU Pirate Keaton Mitchell ?
4.38 40.. ranks 3rd, with #1 10 split of 1.48
Go catch the ball Key !
Give you one guess who came in #2 in the 10 yd split at 1.51. A clue can be found above. And what does that tell you? The other one is the long distance home run hitter that few DBs can catch when he breaks through. They may both be right there in the 2nd when we pick, maybe one is BPA. Ya never know.
Give you one guess who came in #2 in the 10 yd split at 1.51. A clue can be found above. And what does that tell you? The other one is the long distance home run hitter that few DBs can catch when he breaks through. They may both be right there in the 2nd when we pick, maybe one is BPA. Ya never know.
We spent a 5th on Jerome Ford..
I'm a grad of where K.Hunt graduated from.. I'm gonna hate losing a animal like Hunt.. but Ford's RB2 in 2023 is coming..
Achane has a 2nd or 3rd round grade ..
I need a rookie back to boot Felton or D'Ernest Johnson's RFA deal at camp..
I'd prefer one of Deuce/Mitchell or Hull and hope we only spend a Ford 5th or a Felton's 6th rounder to replace one or both..
I still can't believe RB John Kelly has not been picked off our PS.. Bigger needs than a RB, before the 5th/imo
-
Give you one guess who came in #2 in the 10 yd split at 1.51. A clue can be found above. And what does that tell you? The other one is the long distance home run hitter that few DBs can catch when he breaks through. They may both be right there in the 2nd when we pick, maybe one is BPA. Ya never know.
We spent a 5th on Jerome Ford..
I'm a grad of where K.Hunt graduated from.. I'm gonna hate losing a animal like Hunt.. but Ford's RB2 in 2023 is coming..
Achane has a 2nd or 3rd round grade ..
I need a rookie back to boot Felton or D'Ernest Johnson's RFA deal at camp..
I'd prefer one of Deuce/Mitchell or Hull and hope we only spend a Ford 5th or a Felton's 6th rounder to replace one or both..
I still can't believe RB John Kelly has not been picked off our PS.. Bigger needs than a RB, before the 5th/imo
We spent a 5th on Jerome Ford..
I'm a grad of where K.Hunt graduated from.. I'm gonna hate losing a animal like Hunt.. but Ford's RB2 in 2023 is coming..
Achane has a 2nd or 3rd round grade ..
I need a rookie back to boot Felton or D'Ernest Johnson's RFA deal at camp..
I'd prefer one of Deuce/Mitchell or Hull and hope we only spend a Ford 5th or a Felton's 6th rounder to replace one or both..
I still can't believe RB John Kelly has not been picked off our PS.. Bigger needs than a RB, before the 5th/imo
The good thing about the RB position these days is they aren't being prioritized early on in the draft. I'll bet there will be some good RBs available in round 7 or in the undrafted opportunities. As much as I criticize Berry, he does a pretty good at finding late round RBs that can help us. Now if he can expand this art of not reaching on guys to other positions, he just might get this whole thang figured out here in 2023...
-
Off the top of my head, we could do with more than one IDL. Possibly an Edge as replacement for Clowney. A replacement for Deion Jones, who we can no longer afford. A possible replacement or upgrade over Walker Jr. An upgrade over DPJ as #2 WR. An upgrade over Bryant as #2 TE. Competition and a possible '24 replacement for Harris at C. And there is probably more...
With respect, why are we talking about RB? Even without Hunt, it is one of our most stacked position groups. Probably second only to CB. Would be more than happy to go into the season with Johnson and Ford behind Chubb.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login