Skip to content

Mayfield

The Browns Board
381 39 19.4k 2
  • sydS syd

    @nickers said:

    I don't give a fuck what you do...

    damnit i thought i was on ignore ill try harder next time

    @syd said:

    damnit i thought i was on ignore ill try harder next time

    Naw you're free entertainment..

  • And like DB cooper...never to be seen again...

  • And like DB cooper...never to be seen again...

    @kvoethe said:

    And like DB cooper...never to be seen again...

    who knows. lol

  • I guess Carolina were dopes for cutting him then.   🙂

  • https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/baker-mayfield-completely-shocked-by-raiders-decision-on-last-td/

    "

    The 27-year-old touched down in Los Angeles on Tuesday night, practiced with the team on Wednesday, and became an overnight hero for a struggling Rams team that lost six straight before his arrival.

    Mayfield went 22 of 35 for 230 yards and a touchdown with zero interceptions in his Rams debut."

    "Mayfield also received praise on the sidelines from Rams starter Matthew Stafford, who was placed on injured reserve on Saturday due to a spinal contusion. "

    "

    After the game, head coach Sean McVay praised Mayfield in a victory speech before tossing him the game ball.

    “To be able to come in here 10 minutes ago and help lead us to a victory, see you guys on Monday — Baker Mayfield,” McVay said."

    Los Angeles Rams@RamsNFL
    Come for the Victory Speech, stay for @bakermayfield getting a game ball. 🥹💙

    **********************************************

       that's 62% of his passes. Nah, Mjp - you didn't "tell us so" lol

    @calfoxwc said:

    https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/baker-mayfield-completely-shocked-by-raiders-decision-on-last-td/

    ..... After the game, head coach Sean McVay praised Mayfield in a victory speech before tossing him the game ball.

    “To be able to come in here 10 minutes ago and help lead us to a victory, see you guys on Monday — Baker Mayfield,” McVay said."

    **********************************************

       that's 62% of his passes. Nah, Mjp - you didn't "tell us so" lol

    I think that's called one game,  we'll see as time goes on.  Didn't he do the same thing in Cleveland only to become very inconsistent and eventually end up in Carolina. 

    And 62% completions about average for a professional NFL quarterback.  Better than in Carolina I believe. 

    And that didn't go well, who knows maybe he will like it in LA LA Land, maybe not.  We'll see next game and next year.  Best of luck to him.    😁

  • I guess Carolina were dopes for cutting him then.   🙂

    @orion said:

    I guess Carolina were dopes for cutting him then.   🙂

    Their offense doesn't work - lol - hasn't worked well at all since they lost Cam Newton. They only passed for 120 yards, but their running game rampaged over the  lowly seahawks' defense today. So far, their passing game doesn't work for any qb they've tried. They did fire their bad hc, though.....

  • its funny that darnold won after cutting baker

  • sydS syd

    its funny that darnold won after cutting baker

    @syd said:

    its funny that darnold won after cutting baker

    He struggled most of the game. Fortunately, the seahawks defense is very, very bad. Go look at several scores - 30 some points, 40 points again and again. Funny that the Panthers lost all those games before Baker ever got there, so there's that.

  • @ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:

    Let's assess it in the real world. There is no guarantee that any of us will be here tomorrow. What we DO have, is today, the present.

    In the present, Mayfield did well and has many ridiculing the Browns organization.

    In the present, Watson is a $230 million discombobulated fucknuts.

    If the world ends tomorrow, it ends after a Mayfield KO punch.

    Watson is a better quarterback than Mayfield. 
     

    that’s all that matters. He proved that during the cincy game that he’s only going to get better. At this time next year, we will see how Watson looks comparative to Mayfield. And go from there.

  • Also, without moronic play Calling from our head slouch, the browns should’ve been within a score at the end 23-16. Who knows what happens then. It wasn’t as bad of a game as ppl make it out to be. Our head coach got out coached and our line is broken due to injuries. That’s why we lost 

  • gus ferrot be like stop it with the head butts Baker!

    @fairhooker11 said:

    gus ferrot be like stop it with the head butts Baker!

    If he keeps doing that he might go the by way Joe Louis did... mush for brains...

  • @ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:

    Let's assess it in the real world. There is no guarantee that any of us will be here tomorrow. What we DO have, is today, the present.

    In the present, Mayfield did well and has many ridiculing the Browns organization.

    In the present, Watson is a $230 million discombobulated fucknuts.

    If the world ends tomorrow, it ends after a Mayfield KO punch.

    Watson is a better quarterback than Mayfield. 
     

    that’s all that matters. He proved that during the cincy game that he’s only going to get better. At this time next year, we will see how Watson looks comparative to Mayfield. And go from there.

    @typicalbrowns50 said:

    Watson is a better quarterback than Mayfield. 
     

    that’s all that matters. He proved that during the cincy game that he’s only going to get better. At this time next year, we will see how Watson looks comparative to Mayfield. And go from there.

    How in Hell did he prove he's only going to get better?? ....because he sucks in back to back games? WTF kind of logic are you using to get that conclusion? As Ghoolie stated....based on the last game each has played, Mayfield is clearly the better qb. I guess the real question is...would you rather have a sexual predator who had good stats 2 years ago, or an insecure head case, who, at the moment, is playing well?

  •  Been a while since I've done this, I've moved onto other ventures.  However this was one of those things I was working on, I know (knew) exactly what would be said on this board... down to the poster and the verbiage.    Figured I'd add some reality to the Baker situation, and now him being in L.A.

    @hoorta and @flugel    Since you guys have specifically asked about my work and my (lack of) recent presence on the board. 

    Including his time in Carolina. 

    - Baker is 31st in all qualifying QB's for on target percentage throws.

    - 7th in "poor" throws (off target) per pass attempts   (Note, 7th isn't good)

    - 6th in passes batted away by the defender at or behind the line

    - The Rams are tied with Baltimore at 33% of their total offensive plays being play action oriented

    In the Rams first 5 drives with Baker at QB.

    - Averaged throwing play action at 53.75% of his throws.   I'm discounting the drive before half because that's where your throwing plays at the wall beyond your scripted drives.  

    In those 5 series

    - 11 personnel ALL snaps but 1.  However, I'm also being rather generous with 11 personnel, as the Rams utilize 2nd TE/ 3rd WR Skowronek - at  6'3 225lbs.  Gives them size flexibility.     So I'm calling this 11 & 1/2 personnel.

    - 2 and 3 man patterns with 'max pro' were used 7 times in those 5 drives.   That is, in football terms, a fuck ton. 

    - Mirrored concepts and simple zone floods were used almost 60% of the snaps.

    - The raiders stayed in man coverage or non-rotated spot zone calls, primarily cover 3, on all snaps except 4.   Of those 4 snaps, Baker didn't have a single completion.  AND... my favorite,  a familiar call back to the Packers game from last season that I'm going to share here.

    First, the 'call back'.

    Page 35, 9th post down.  The yankee call vs the Packers

    /topic/62992

    Yankee vs Raiders, Last week though....

    554954892_Bakeralmostpackersagain1.thumb.jpg.9cc37666802894021aeeecf1f62be376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    18823300_Bakeralmostpackersagain2.thumb.png.970d8975dbdf4828342760e86b72916f.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1914057749_Bakeralmostpackersagain3.thumb.png.c12c9b7409cb16ab8a5a292b76dadf31.png

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1138729693_Bakeralmostpackersagain4.thumb.png.6a7441469af7bedb7aac8cfd8da21523.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    336234079_Bakeralmostpackersagain5.thumb.png.83e0253c48b5d72f509f5af69318c9ee.png  

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    399918413_Bakeralmostpackersagain6.thumb.png.e78041b7355b2d659b28c6dda3764d4d.png

    @calfoxwc  Baker is no longer dealing with injury.    Yet he's making the EXACT same mistakes as he was almost one year to date.      No, this is not a chemistry issue, this is not a playcall or coaching issue.  This is a vertical landmark throw that goes read to rhythm, hi low off the middle field safety.    Read the post, work down to the deep over then the flat.      All a QB has to do is see it open, then put it on an absolute frozen rope.  And from what I can tell, Bakers arm strength is still plenty good.     This is a Baker issue.     

     See, he does good work in the short to intermediate game and off play action.   But his decision making when he he wants to, or has to drive the ball vertically.... not locating safeties, locking onto things presnap, not dealing with pressure despite having a clean pocket;  then toss in the intermediate throws when he takes straight drops - really has been revealed as him 'guessing' at best a good lot of the time.    And by guessing I mean him making determinations presnap,  failing to understand and process quickly post snap, but locking into his throws after the ball is in his hands.

     Sadly, what Baker is good at is what 80+% of the QB's in the NFL are good at.  Because it's high school level work, again talking football terms.  What separates the 20% from the rest is their ability to do the high level stuff with a reasonable amount of consistency.  

    What I'm showing you is the exact same concept, the exact same personnel, on the exact same down and distance that Baker got to see vs the Packers as he did in L.A.    The only difference in these results is that Baker was fortunate his receiver and the Raiders safety got their feet tangled up and both were taken out of the play.   Otherwise, just like that Packers game, this too would have been an INT.

     I'm going through the rest of Bakers throws, but I have a feeling the trends he has displayed the past 4 & 1/2 seasons will be the exact same, barring a few "nice" moments.  

    Comparing the offenses, Baker was given an offensive structure that is almost identical to what he ran under Cleveland, minus a few subtle differences in where routes begin then end up.    McVay is a solid coach, but as I said over a week ago, he has put together game plans like this for a similar QB - Goff.     So this isn't some testament to his coaching prowess and him being able to "mold" QB's.   He could only take Jared so far and was handed a pro-bowler in his twilight with Stafford.  It's a a testament to him finding players with a skillset he's used to having to gameplan with, and understanding that what they do helps to mask those QB shortcomings.    On several of the Rams plays, they'd come out and run on 2nd down what they did on 1st down, only flipped to the opposite hash.  

      Watson has to improve.  But if the measure of good QB play is Baker only "repeating" what he did last week, then every team the Rams play against will need to have a defensive collapse or a bad matchup in the running game. Otherwise the hen the Rams offense will sputter and stall.   And, given what I just showed you above, the interceptions will again start to show up at the worst possible times.      Mayfield's penchant for bad decision making when it matters most hasn't been magically coached out of him by McVay.  It's still there, and it's a matter of time before it bites the Rams in the ass.

     Good on Baker for the throws he did make, but what he did in L.A was nothing all that different than what he did in Cleveland... and then some.      This isn't a rebirth, it's Baker doing Baker things, just in the largest sports market on Earth next to New York.     Which means if he's the Rams starter, they're going to have to take the good, and do their best to minimize the bad.

  •  Been a while since I've done this, I've moved onto other ventures.  However this was one of those things I was working on, I know (knew) exactly what would be said on this board... down to the poster and the verbiage.    Figured I'd add some reality to the Baker situation, and now him being in L.A.

    @hoorta and @flugel    Since you guys have specifically asked about my work and my (lack of) recent presence on the board. 

    Including his time in Carolina. 

    - Baker is 31st in all qualifying QB's for on target percentage throws.

    - 7th in "poor" throws (off target) per pass attempts   (Note, 7th isn't good)

    - 6th in passes batted away by the defender at or behind the line

    - The Rams are tied with Baltimore at 33% of their total offensive plays being play action oriented

    In the Rams first 5 drives with Baker at QB.

    - Averaged throwing play action at 53.75% of his throws.   I'm discounting the drive before half because that's where your throwing plays at the wall beyond your scripted drives.  

    In those 5 series

    - 11 personnel ALL snaps but 1.  However, I'm also being rather generous with 11 personnel, as the Rams utilize 2nd TE/ 3rd WR Skowronek - at  6'3 225lbs.  Gives them size flexibility.     So I'm calling this 11 & 1/2 personnel.

    - 2 and 3 man patterns with 'max pro' were used 7 times in those 5 drives.   That is, in football terms, a fuck ton. 

    - Mirrored concepts and simple zone floods were used almost 60% of the snaps.

    - The raiders stayed in man coverage or non-rotated spot zone calls, primarily cover 3, on all snaps except 4.   Of those 4 snaps, Baker didn't have a single completion.  AND... my favorite,  a familiar call back to the Packers game from last season that I'm going to share here.

    First, the 'call back'.

    Page 35, 9th post down.  The yankee call vs the Packers

    /topic/62992

    Yankee vs Raiders, Last week though....

    554954892_Bakeralmostpackersagain1.thumb.jpg.9cc37666802894021aeeecf1f62be376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    18823300_Bakeralmostpackersagain2.thumb.png.970d8975dbdf4828342760e86b72916f.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1914057749_Bakeralmostpackersagain3.thumb.png.c12c9b7409cb16ab8a5a292b76dadf31.png

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1138729693_Bakeralmostpackersagain4.thumb.png.6a7441469af7bedb7aac8cfd8da21523.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    336234079_Bakeralmostpackersagain5.thumb.png.83e0253c48b5d72f509f5af69318c9ee.png  

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    399918413_Bakeralmostpackersagain6.thumb.png.e78041b7355b2d659b28c6dda3764d4d.png

    @calfoxwc  Baker is no longer dealing with injury.    Yet he's making the EXACT same mistakes as he was almost one year to date.      No, this is not a chemistry issue, this is not a playcall or coaching issue.  This is a vertical landmark throw that goes read to rhythm, hi low off the middle field safety.    Read the post, work down to the deep over then the flat.      All a QB has to do is see it open, then put it on an absolute frozen rope.  And from what I can tell, Bakers arm strength is still plenty good.     This is a Baker issue.     

     See, he does good work in the short to intermediate game and off play action.   But his decision making when he he wants to, or has to drive the ball vertically.... not locating safeties, locking onto things presnap, not dealing with pressure despite having a clean pocket;  then toss in the intermediate throws when he takes straight drops - really has been revealed as him 'guessing' at best a good lot of the time.    And by guessing I mean him making determinations presnap,  failing to understand and process quickly post snap, but locking into his throws after the ball is in his hands.

     Sadly, what Baker is good at is what 80+% of the QB's in the NFL are good at.  Because it's high school level work, again talking football terms.  What separates the 20% from the rest is their ability to do the high level stuff with a reasonable amount of consistency.  

    What I'm showing you is the exact same concept, the exact same personnel, on the exact same down and distance that Baker got to see vs the Packers as he did in L.A.    The only difference in these results is that Baker was fortunate his receiver and the Raiders safety got their feet tangled up and both were taken out of the play.   Otherwise, just like that Packers game, this too would have been an INT.

     I'm going through the rest of Bakers throws, but I have a feeling the trends he has displayed the past 4 & 1/2 seasons will be the exact same, barring a few "nice" moments.  

    Comparing the offenses, Baker was given an offensive structure that is almost identical to what he ran under Cleveland, minus a few subtle differences in where routes begin then end up.    McVay is a solid coach, but as I said over a week ago, he has put together game plans like this for a similar QB - Goff.     So this isn't some testament to his coaching prowess and him being able to "mold" QB's.   He could only take Jared so far and was handed a pro-bowler in his twilight with Stafford.  It's a a testament to him finding players with a skillset he's used to having to gameplan with, and understanding that what they do helps to mask those QB shortcomings.    On several of the Rams plays, they'd come out and run on 2nd down what they did on 1st down, only flipped to the opposite hash.  

      Watson has to improve.  But if the measure of good QB play is Baker only "repeating" what he did last week, then every team the Rams play against will need to have a defensive collapse or a bad matchup in the running game. Otherwise the hen the Rams offense will sputter and stall.   And, given what I just showed you above, the interceptions will again start to show up at the worst possible times.      Mayfield's penchant for bad decision making when it matters most hasn't been magically coached out of him by McVay.  It's still there, and it's a matter of time before it bites the Rams in the ass.

     Good on Baker for the throws he did make, but what he did in L.A was nothing all that different than what he did in Cleveland... and then some.      This isn't a rebirth, it's Baker doing Baker things, just in the largest sports market on Earth next to New York.     Which means if he's the Rams starter, they're going to have to take the good, and do their best to minimize the bad.

    @tiamat63 said:

     Good on Baker for the throws he did make, but what he did in L.A was nothing all that different than what he did in Cleveland... and then some.      This isn't a rebirth, it's Baker doing Baker things, just in the largest sports market on Earth next to New York.     Which means if he's the Rams starter, they're going to have to take the good, and do their best to minimize the bad.

    yes, Baker isn't perfect. But Goff was often injured. and Stafford was seriously injured. Google their injures. I believe Stafford has avoided spinal injury surgery.

    Yes, Baker makes mistakes. So do most qb's who don't have the players around them to be successful.

    Watson is making serious mistakes right and left, producing very little in the way of points. And he has the oline, the deep threat, wr's, TE and running backs.

    Looking at Baker with the Rams, look at the other quarterbacks who have played there.

    Their oline is toast. What little I saw of the rams game - the oline was overrun, overpowered.

    I'm talking facts here, not excuses for Baker.

    as of Dec 1, 2022 - the rams' offense is possibly the worst in the NFL.

    ********************************

    https://www.mylasports.com/rams-offense-worst/

    The Rams Offense Isn’t Just Bad — It’s The Worst In The NFL

    Written By

    on

    November 1, 2022

    Take it from Stafford - who was impressed by what Baker accomplished his first game after only a few days with the team. Take it from Joe Burrow, who knows a serious lot about being a qb:

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/joe-burrow-praises-baker-mayfield-following-rams-debut/ar-AA15hasL

    Joe Burrow Praises Baker Mayfield Following Rams' Debut

    ******************************************************

        After only a few days with the team, Baker was named NFC Offfensive Player of the Week.

      I don't get noting only Baker's mistakes etc, and not looking at the other factors that contribute to a qb having a tough time. I once saw Peyton Manning throw 3...or was it 4 INTS in a playoff game. His offensive line was toast.

    and the Rams had 4 wr's on IR, including Cooper Cupp - who would have been a gigantic help to any qb.

    And, Baker certainly spread the ball around:

    Ben Skowronek
    Tutu Atwell
    Van Jefferson
    Malcolm Brown
    Tyler Higbee
    Kyren Williams
    Brycen Hopkins
    Austin Trammell
    Cam Akers
    Brandon Powell

    REC    YDS    TD    LONG    TGTS
    7    89    0    32    8
    5    50    0    22    9
    2    44    1    23    4
    2    12    0    9    2
    2    11    0    6    3
    1    10    0    10    2
    1    8    0    8    1
    1    5    0    5    2
    1    1    0    1    1
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
             
             
             
             
             
             
             
             
             
             
  •  Been a while since I've done this, I've moved onto other ventures.  However this was one of those things I was working on, I know (knew) exactly what would be said on this board... down to the poster and the verbiage.    Figured I'd add some reality to the Baker situation, and now him being in L.A.

    @hoorta and @flugel    Since you guys have specifically asked about my work and my (lack of) recent presence on the board. 

    Including his time in Carolina. 

    - Baker is 31st in all qualifying QB's for on target percentage throws.

    - 7th in "poor" throws (off target) per pass attempts   (Note, 7th isn't good)

    - 6th in passes batted away by the defender at or behind the line

    - The Rams are tied with Baltimore at 33% of their total offensive plays being play action oriented

    In the Rams first 5 drives with Baker at QB.

    - Averaged throwing play action at 53.75% of his throws.   I'm discounting the drive before half because that's where your throwing plays at the wall beyond your scripted drives.  

    In those 5 series

    - 11 personnel ALL snaps but 1.  However, I'm also being rather generous with 11 personnel, as the Rams utilize 2nd TE/ 3rd WR Skowronek - at  6'3 225lbs.  Gives them size flexibility.     So I'm calling this 11 & 1/2 personnel.

    - 2 and 3 man patterns with 'max pro' were used 7 times in those 5 drives.   That is, in football terms, a fuck ton. 

    - Mirrored concepts and simple zone floods were used almost 60% of the snaps.

    - The raiders stayed in man coverage or non-rotated spot zone calls, primarily cover 3, on all snaps except 4.   Of those 4 snaps, Baker didn't have a single completion.  AND... my favorite,  a familiar call back to the Packers game from last season that I'm going to share here.

    First, the 'call back'.

    Page 35, 9th post down.  The yankee call vs the Packers

    /topic/62992

    Yankee vs Raiders, Last week though....

    554954892_Bakeralmostpackersagain1.thumb.jpg.9cc37666802894021aeeecf1f62be376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    18823300_Bakeralmostpackersagain2.thumb.png.970d8975dbdf4828342760e86b72916f.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1914057749_Bakeralmostpackersagain3.thumb.png.c12c9b7409cb16ab8a5a292b76dadf31.png

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1138729693_Bakeralmostpackersagain4.thumb.png.6a7441469af7bedb7aac8cfd8da21523.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    336234079_Bakeralmostpackersagain5.thumb.png.83e0253c48b5d72f509f5af69318c9ee.png  

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    399918413_Bakeralmostpackersagain6.thumb.png.e78041b7355b2d659b28c6dda3764d4d.png

    @calfoxwc  Baker is no longer dealing with injury.    Yet he's making the EXACT same mistakes as he was almost one year to date.      No, this is not a chemistry issue, this is not a playcall or coaching issue.  This is a vertical landmark throw that goes read to rhythm, hi low off the middle field safety.    Read the post, work down to the deep over then the flat.      All a QB has to do is see it open, then put it on an absolute frozen rope.  And from what I can tell, Bakers arm strength is still plenty good.     This is a Baker issue.     

     See, he does good work in the short to intermediate game and off play action.   But his decision making when he he wants to, or has to drive the ball vertically.... not locating safeties, locking onto things presnap, not dealing with pressure despite having a clean pocket;  then toss in the intermediate throws when he takes straight drops - really has been revealed as him 'guessing' at best a good lot of the time.    And by guessing I mean him making determinations presnap,  failing to understand and process quickly post snap, but locking into his throws after the ball is in his hands.

     Sadly, what Baker is good at is what 80+% of the QB's in the NFL are good at.  Because it's high school level work, again talking football terms.  What separates the 20% from the rest is their ability to do the high level stuff with a reasonable amount of consistency.  

    What I'm showing you is the exact same concept, the exact same personnel, on the exact same down and distance that Baker got to see vs the Packers as he did in L.A.    The only difference in these results is that Baker was fortunate his receiver and the Raiders safety got their feet tangled up and both were taken out of the play.   Otherwise, just like that Packers game, this too would have been an INT.

     I'm going through the rest of Bakers throws, but I have a feeling the trends he has displayed the past 4 & 1/2 seasons will be the exact same, barring a few "nice" moments.  

    Comparing the offenses, Baker was given an offensive structure that is almost identical to what he ran under Cleveland, minus a few subtle differences in where routes begin then end up.    McVay is a solid coach, but as I said over a week ago, he has put together game plans like this for a similar QB - Goff.     So this isn't some testament to his coaching prowess and him being able to "mold" QB's.   He could only take Jared so far and was handed a pro-bowler in his twilight with Stafford.  It's a a testament to him finding players with a skillset he's used to having to gameplan with, and understanding that what they do helps to mask those QB shortcomings.    On several of the Rams plays, they'd come out and run on 2nd down what they did on 1st down, only flipped to the opposite hash.  

      Watson has to improve.  But if the measure of good QB play is Baker only "repeating" what he did last week, then every team the Rams play against will need to have a defensive collapse or a bad matchup in the running game. Otherwise the hen the Rams offense will sputter and stall.   And, given what I just showed you above, the interceptions will again start to show up at the worst possible times.      Mayfield's penchant for bad decision making when it matters most hasn't been magically coached out of him by McVay.  It's still there, and it's a matter of time before it bites the Rams in the ass.

     Good on Baker for the throws he did make, but what he did in L.A was nothing all that different than what he did in Cleveland... and then some.      This isn't a rebirth, it's Baker doing Baker things, just in the largest sports market on Earth next to New York.     Which means if he's the Rams starter, they're going to have to take the good, and do their best to minimize the bad.

    @tiamat63 said:

     Been a while since I've done this, I've moved onto other ventures.  However this was one of those things I was working on, I know (knew) exactly what would be said on this board... down to the poster and the verbiage.    Figured I'd add some reality to the Baker situation, and now him being in L.A.

    @hoorta and @flugel    Since you guys have specifically asked about my work and my (lack of) recent presence on the board. 

    Including his time in Carolina. 

    - Baker is 31st in all qualifying QB's for on target percentage throws.

    - 7th in "poor" throws (off target) per pass attempts   (Note, 7th isn't good)

    - 6th in passes batted away by the defender at or behind the line

    - The Rams are tied with Baltimore at 33% of their total offensive plays being play action oriented

    In the Rams first 5 drives with Baker at QB.

    - Averaged throwing play action at 53.75% of his throws.   I'm discounting the drive before half because that's where your throwing plays at the wall beyond your scripted drives.  

    In those 5 series

    - 11 personnel ALL snaps but 1.  However, I'm also being rather generous with 11 personnel, as the Rams utilize 2nd TE/ 3rd WR Skowronek - at  6'3 225lbs.  Gives them size flexibility.     So I'm calling this 11 & 1/2 personnel.

    - 2 and 3 man patterns with 'max pro' were used 7 times in those 5 drives.   That is, in football terms, a fuck ton. 

    - Mirrored concepts and simple zone floods were used almost 60% of the snaps.

    - The raiders stayed in man coverage or non-rotated spot zone calls, primarily cover 3, on all snaps except 4.   Of those 4 snaps, Baker didn't have a single completion.  AND... my favorite,  a familiar call back to the Packers game from last season that I'm going to share here.

    First, the 'call back'.

    Page 35, 9th post down.  The yankee call vs the Packers

    /topic/62992

    Yankee vs Raiders, Last week though....

    554954892_Bakeralmostpackersagain1.thumb.jpg.9cc37666802894021aeeecf1f62be376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    18823300_Bakeralmostpackersagain2.thumb.png.970d8975dbdf4828342760e86b72916f.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1914057749_Bakeralmostpackersagain3.thumb.png.c12c9b7409cb16ab8a5a292b76dadf31.png

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1138729693_Bakeralmostpackersagain4.thumb.png.6a7441469af7bedb7aac8cfd8da21523.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    336234079_Bakeralmostpackersagain5.thumb.png.83e0253c48b5d72f509f5af69318c9ee.png  

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    399918413_Bakeralmostpackersagain6.thumb.png.e78041b7355b2d659b28c6dda3764d4d.png

    @calfoxwc  Baker is no longer dealing with injury.    Yet he's making the EXACT same mistakes as he was almost one year to date.      No, this is not a chemistry issue, this is not a playcall or coaching issue.  This is a vertical landmark throw that goes read to rhythm, hi low off the middle field safety.    Read the post, work down to the deep over then the flat.      All a QB has to do is see it open, then put it on an absolute frozen rope.  And from what I can tell, Bakers arm strength is still plenty good.     This is a Baker issue.     

     See, he does good work in the short to intermediate game and off play action.   But his decision making when he he wants to, or has to drive the ball vertically.... not locating safeties, locking onto things presnap, not dealing with pressure despite having a clean pocket;  then toss in the intermediate throws when he takes straight drops - really has been revealed as him 'guessing' at best a good lot of the time.    And by guessing I mean him making determinations presnap,  failing to understand and process quickly post snap, but locking into his throws after the ball is in his hands.

     Sadly, what Baker is good at is what 80+% of the QB's in the NFL are good at.  Because it's high school level work, again talking football terms.  What separates the 20% from the rest is their ability to do the high level stuff with a reasonable amount of consistency.  

    What I'm showing you is the exact same concept, the exact same personnel, on the exact same down and distance that Baker got to see vs the Packers as he did in L.A.    The only difference in these results is that Baker was fortunate his receiver and the Raiders safety got their feet tangled up and both were taken out of the play.   Otherwise, just like that Packers game, this too would have been an INT.

     I'm going through the rest of Bakers throws, but I have a feeling the trends he has displayed the past 4 & 1/2 seasons will be the exact same, barring a few "nice" moments.  

    Comparing the offenses, Baker was given an offensive structure that is almost identical to what he ran under Cleveland, minus a few subtle differences in where routes begin then end up.    McVay is a solid coach, but as I said over a week ago, he has put together game plans like this for a similar QB - Goff.     So this isn't some testament to his coaching prowess and him being able to "mold" QB's.   He could only take Jared so far and was handed a pro-bowler in his twilight with Stafford.  It's a a testament to him finding players with a skillset he's used to having to gameplan with, and understanding that what they do helps to mask those QB shortcomings.    On several of the Rams plays, they'd come out and run on 2nd down what they did on 1st down, only flipped to the opposite hash.  

      Watson has to improve.  But if the measure of good QB play is Baker only "repeating" what he did last week, then every team the Rams play against will need to have a defensive collapse or a bad matchup in the running game. Otherwise the hen the Rams offense will sputter and stall.   And, given what I just showed you above, the interceptions will again start to show up at the worst possible times.      Mayfield's penchant for bad decision making when it matters most hasn't been magically coached out of him by McVay.  It's still there, and it's a matter of time before it bites the Rams in the ass.

     Good on Baker for the throws he did make, but what he did in L.A was nothing all that different than what he did in Cleveland... and then some.      This isn't a rebirth, it's Baker doing Baker things, just in the largest sports market on Earth next to New York.     Which means if he's the Rams starter, they're going to have to take the good, and do their best to minimize the bad.

    Well done!   I think he's gonna have a nice long career as the next Colt McCoy.    I just wish those pretending he's a misunderstood Joe Montana would finally move on like Baker has (to his 3rd team)...

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Good on Baker for the throws he did make, but what he did in L.A was nothing all that different than what he did in Cleveland... and then some.      This isn't a rebirth, it's Baker doing Baker things, just in the largest sports market on Earth next to New York.     Which means if he's the Rams starter, they're going to have to take the good, and do their best to minimize the bad.

    yes, Baker isn't perfect. But Goff was often injured. and Stafford was seriously injured. Google their injures. I believe Stafford has avoided spinal injury surgery.

    Yes, Baker makes mistakes. So do most qb's who don't have the players around them to be successful.

    Watson is making serious mistakes right and left, producing very little in the way of points. And he has the oline, the deep threat, wr's, TE and running backs.

    Looking at Baker with the Rams, look at the other quarterbacks who have played there.

    Their oline is toast. What little I saw of the rams game - the oline was overrun, overpowered.

    I'm talking facts here, not excuses for Baker.

    as of Dec 1, 2022 - the rams' offense is possibly the worst in the NFL.

    ********************************

    https://www.mylasports.com/rams-offense-worst/

    The Rams Offense Isn’t Just Bad — It’s The Worst In The NFL

    Written By

    on

    November 1, 2022

    Take it from Stafford - who was impressed by what Baker accomplished his first game after only a few days with the team. Take it from Joe Burrow, who knows a serious lot about being a qb:

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/joe-burrow-praises-baker-mayfield-following-rams-debut/ar-AA15hasL

    Joe Burrow Praises Baker Mayfield Following Rams' Debut

    ******************************************************

        After only a few days with the team, Baker was named NFC Offfensive Player of the Week.

      I don't get noting only Baker's mistakes etc, and not looking at the other factors that contribute to a qb having a tough time. I once saw Peyton Manning throw 3...or was it 4 INTS in a playoff game. His offensive line was toast.

    and the Rams had 4 wr's on IR, including Cooper Cupp - who would have been a gigantic help to any qb.

    And, Baker certainly spread the ball around:

    Ben Skowronek
    Tutu Atwell
    Van Jefferson
    Malcolm Brown
    Tyler Higbee
    Kyren Williams
    Brycen Hopkins
    Austin Trammell
    Cam Akers
    Brandon Powell

    REC    YDS    TD    LONG    TGTS
    7    89    0    32    8
    5    50    0    22    9
    2    44    1    23    4
    2    12    0    9    2
    2    11    0    6    3
    1    10    0    10    2
    1    8    0    8    1
    1    5    0    5    2
    1    1    0    1    1
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
             
             
             
             
             
             
             
             
             
             

    @calfoxwc said:

    yes, Baker isn't perfect. But Goff was often injured. and Stafford was seriously injured. Google their injures. I believe Stafford has avoided spinal injury surgery.

    Sweetheart, this wasn't a post for you to continue discussion... those days are over.

    This also isn't a post debating the merits of college prospects which, while not a true 50/50, have a certain 'chance' to them where anybody could be right.   It's not a science and nobody has nailed it. That's where I'm happy to receive your feedback.    This isn't that.  

    This is apples to apples, NFL plays, coaches and personnel in the vacuum that is the league. 

    Take my analysis, which was nice enough of me to not include Baker throwing a pick on a half field read, as it is - fair and thorough.  A breakdown that, podcasts which rant with little substance and PFF aside, I haven't found anything anywhere quite like the charting I've done that isn't likely being done in-house by professionals.      While you're at it, do yourself a favor and take what little information I still give here and use it to make yourself some money gambling.   The Rams and Baker will regress and have turnovers.  Do not expect him to duplicate that performance without an INT or two, and against a Packers defense that saw him less than 365 days ago too.     As it stands, Rams are +6.5 and the common man is likely riding the emotional wave that is Baker-mania in L.A.

     If the Pack injury report looks good, then I'm going in on GB to cover at -6.5 while also looking at a prop for Ben Skowronek on receptions or yards.      I'd advise you do the same if the lines look agreeable.

     You're welcome in advance.

    ❤️

  • @calfoxwc said:

    yes, Baker isn't perfect. But Goff was often injured. and Stafford was seriously injured. Google their injures. I believe Stafford has avoided spinal injury surgery.

    Sweetheart, this wasn't a post for you to continue discussion... those days are over.

    This also isn't a post debating the merits of college prospects which, while not a true 50/50, have a certain 'chance' to them where anybody could be right.   It's not a science and nobody has nailed it. That's where I'm happy to receive your feedback.    This isn't that.  

    This is apples to apples, NFL plays, coaches and personnel in the vacuum that is the league. 

    Take my analysis, which was nice enough of me to not include Baker throwing a pick on a half field read, as it is - fair and thorough.  A breakdown that, podcasts which rant with little substance and PFF aside, I haven't found anything anywhere quite like the charting I've done that isn't likely being done in-house by professionals.      While you're at it, do yourself a favor and take what little information I still give here and use it to make yourself some money gambling.   The Rams and Baker will regress and have turnovers.  Do not expect him to duplicate that performance without an INT or two, and against a Packers defense that saw him less than 365 days ago too.     As it stands, Rams are +6.5 and the common man is likely riding the emotional wave that is Baker-mania in L.A.

     If the Pack injury report looks good, then I'm going in on GB to cover at -6.5 while also looking at a prop for Ben Skowronek on receptions or yards.      I'd advise you do the same if the lines look agreeable.

     You're welcome in advance.

    ❤️

    @tiamat63 said:

    You're welcome in advance.

    Take it to a gay bar, then. I thought most posts were subjects of discussion - except you go right back to el supremo arrogance and belligerence because Joe Burrow knows quarterbacking, and you don't.

        Your inability to comprehensively appraise Baker etc, shows that your criticism is meant to boost your superego standing.

       Not buyin it. What I posted was legit. I didn't smart off to you in any way, but "there you go again".

       All the qb's in Carolina and the Rams - have been injured. I told you what that means overall to the offense general inability to function.

       Baker isn't perfect, but he rallied the offense to two scores in the fourth quarter to win the game. Got the game ball. NFC player of the Week.

       So, he isn't perfect, has flaws etc.

       So do you. Have a nice day. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Been a while since I've done this, I've moved onto other ventures.  However this was one of those things I was working on, I know (knew) exactly what would be said on this board... down to the poster and the verbiage.    Figured I'd add some reality to the Baker situation, and now him being in L.A.

    @hoorta and @flugel    Since you guys have specifically asked about my work and my (lack of) recent presence on the board. 

    Including his time in Carolina. 

    - Baker is 31st in all qualifying QB's for on target percentage throws.

    - 7th in "poor" throws (off target) per pass attempts   (Note, 7th isn't good)

    - 6th in passes batted away by the defender at or behind the line

    - The Rams are tied with Baltimore at 33% of their total offensive plays being play action oriented

    In the Rams first 5 drives with Baker at QB.

    - Averaged throwing play action at 53.75% of his throws.   I'm discounting the drive before half because that's where your throwing plays at the wall beyond your scripted drives.  

    In those 5 series

    - 11 personnel ALL snaps but 1.  However, I'm also being rather generous with 11 personnel, as the Rams utilize 2nd TE/ 3rd WR Skowronek - at  6'3 225lbs.  Gives them size flexibility.     So I'm calling this 11 & 1/2 personnel.

    - 2 and 3 man patterns with 'max pro' were used 7 times in those 5 drives.   That is, in football terms, a fuck ton. 

    - Mirrored concepts and simple zone floods were used almost 60% of the snaps.

    - The raiders stayed in man coverage or non-rotated spot zone calls, primarily cover 3, on all snaps except 4.   Of those 4 snaps, Baker didn't have a single completion.  AND... my favorite,  a familiar call back to the Packers game from last season that I'm going to share here.

    First, the 'call back'.

    Page 35, 9th post down.  The yankee call vs the Packers

    /topic/62992

    Yankee vs Raiders, Last week though....

    554954892_Bakeralmostpackersagain1.thumb.jpg.9cc37666802894021aeeecf1f62be376.jpg

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    18823300_Bakeralmostpackersagain2.thumb.png.970d8975dbdf4828342760e86b72916f.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1914057749_Bakeralmostpackersagain3.thumb.png.c12c9b7409cb16ab8a5a292b76dadf31.png

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1138729693_Bakeralmostpackersagain4.thumb.png.6a7441469af7bedb7aac8cfd8da21523.png

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    336234079_Bakeralmostpackersagain5.thumb.png.83e0253c48b5d72f509f5af69318c9ee.png  

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    399918413_Bakeralmostpackersagain6.thumb.png.e78041b7355b2d659b28c6dda3764d4d.png

    @calfoxwc  Baker is no longer dealing with injury.    Yet he's making the EXACT same mistakes as he was almost one year to date.      No, this is not a chemistry issue, this is not a playcall or coaching issue.  This is a vertical landmark throw that goes read to rhythm, hi low off the middle field safety.    Read the post, work down to the deep over then the flat.      All a QB has to do is see it open, then put it on an absolute frozen rope.  And from what I can tell, Bakers arm strength is still plenty good.     This is a Baker issue.     

     See, he does good work in the short to intermediate game and off play action.   But his decision making when he he wants to, or has to drive the ball vertically.... not locating safeties, locking onto things presnap, not dealing with pressure despite having a clean pocket;  then toss in the intermediate throws when he takes straight drops - really has been revealed as him 'guessing' at best a good lot of the time.    And by guessing I mean him making determinations presnap,  failing to understand and process quickly post snap, but locking into his throws after the ball is in his hands.

     Sadly, what Baker is good at is what 80+% of the QB's in the NFL are good at.  Because it's high school level work, again talking football terms.  What separates the 20% from the rest is their ability to do the high level stuff with a reasonable amount of consistency.  

    What I'm showing you is the exact same concept, the exact same personnel, on the exact same down and distance that Baker got to see vs the Packers as he did in L.A.    The only difference in these results is that Baker was fortunate his receiver and the Raiders safety got their feet tangled up and both were taken out of the play.   Otherwise, just like that Packers game, this too would have been an INT.

     I'm going through the rest of Bakers throws, but I have a feeling the trends he has displayed the past 4 & 1/2 seasons will be the exact same, barring a few "nice" moments.  

    Comparing the offenses, Baker was given an offensive structure that is almost identical to what he ran under Cleveland, minus a few subtle differences in where routes begin then end up.    McVay is a solid coach, but as I said over a week ago, he has put together game plans like this for a similar QB - Goff.     So this isn't some testament to his coaching prowess and him being able to "mold" QB's.   He could only take Jared so far and was handed a pro-bowler in his twilight with Stafford.  It's a a testament to him finding players with a skillset he's used to having to gameplan with, and understanding that what they do helps to mask those QB shortcomings.    On several of the Rams plays, they'd come out and run on 2nd down what they did on 1st down, only flipped to the opposite hash.  

      Watson has to improve.  But if the measure of good QB play is Baker only "repeating" what he did last week, then every team the Rams play against will need to have a defensive collapse or a bad matchup in the running game. Otherwise the hen the Rams offense will sputter and stall.   And, given what I just showed you above, the interceptions will again start to show up at the worst possible times.      Mayfield's penchant for bad decision making when it matters most hasn't been magically coached out of him by McVay.  It's still there, and it's a matter of time before it bites the Rams in the ass.

     Good on Baker for the throws he did make, but what he did in L.A was nothing all that different than what he did in Cleveland... and then some.      This isn't a rebirth, it's Baker doing Baker things, just in the largest sports market on Earth next to New York.     Which means if he's the Rams starter, they're going to have to take the good, and do their best to minimize the bad.

    Well done!   I think he's gonna have a nice long career as the next Colt McCoy.    I just wish those pretending he's a misunderstood Joe Montana would finally move on like Baker has (to his 3rd team)...

    @flugel said:

    Well done!   I think he's gonna have a nice long career as the next Colt McCoy.    I just wish those pretending he's a misunderstood Joe Montana would finally move on like Baker has (to his 3rd team)...

    I've never seen a more average player cause so much division within a fanbase. 

    Baker fans are almost cult-like at this point. I fully expect that they fly Baker flags at their houses and wear Make Baker Great Again hats or something. 

  • @flugel said:

    Well done!   I think he's gonna have a nice long career as the next Colt McCoy.    I just wish those pretending he's a misunderstood Joe Montana would finally move on like Baker has (to his 3rd team)...

    I've never seen a more average player cause so much division within a fanbase. 

    Baker fans are almost cult-like at this point. I fully expect that they fly Baker flags at their houses and wear Make Baker Great Again hats or something. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    ... Especially first 3 years.....  I've never seen a more average player cause so much division within a fanbase. Hmmm.

    Baker fans are almost cult-like at this point. I fully expect that they fly Baker flags at their houses and wear Make Baker Great Again hats or something. 

    Oh yes Baker Mayfield 6' 1"  215,  main career stats :    Career.  61.2.  15,668.  99. 62. 86.6.  May still have a few years there.  And cut from the same cloth as Colt McCoy for one.

    Colt McCoy 6' 1"  212,  CLE (first 3), SF, WAS, NYG, AZ  career stats (for just one journeyman QB)   Career.  62.6. 7,897. 34.  31.  80.4.  
    You wonder if BRM,  CLE (first 3), CAR, LAR    bounces around a few more years what his career stats might be.  And will he be remembered as more than a former CLE (3 yrs) quarterback,  who knows.   The   "good but"   tag on him.

     

  • @dutch-oven said:

    ... Especially first 3 years.....  I've never seen a more average player cause so much division within a fanbase. Hmmm.

    Baker fans are almost cult-like at this point. I fully expect that they fly Baker flags at their houses and wear Make Baker Great Again hats or something. 

    Oh yes Baker Mayfield 6' 1"  215,  main career stats :    Career.  61.2.  15,668.  99. 62. 86.6.  May still have a few years there.  And cut from the same cloth as Colt McCoy for one.

    Colt McCoy 6' 1"  212,  CLE (first 3), SF, WAS, NYG, AZ  career stats (for just one journeyman QB)   Career.  62.6. 7,897. 34.  31.  80.4.  
    You wonder if BRM,  CLE (first 3), CAR, LAR    bounces around a few more years what his career stats might be.  And will he be remembered as more than a former CLE (3 yrs) quarterback,  who knows.   The   "good but"   tag on him.

     

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh yes Baker Mayfield 6' 1"  215,  main career stats :    Career.  61.2.  15,668.  99. 62. 86.6.  May still have a few years there.  And cut from the same cloth as Colt McCoy for one.

    Colt McCoy 6' 1"  212,  CLE (first 3), SF, WAS, NYG, AZ  career stats (for just one journeyman QB)   Career.  62.6. 7,897. 34.  31.  80.4.  
    You wonder if BRM,  CLE (first 3), CAR, LAR    bounces around a few more years what his career stats might be.  And will he be remembered as more than a former CLE (3 yrs) quarterback,  who knows.   The   "good but"   tag on him.

     

    I brought that analogy up because the NFL always has a place for both guys IF they can put football 1st in spite of their limitations for those that can't let go.  I like Colt McCoy (the same way I like Jacoby Brissett); and as a 3rd round pick - his NFL career has outlived a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks the Browns made before/after him.   The teams that employ them are happy they have a fill-in starter they can trust.  The Rams just did that for Baker after Carolina couldn't.  

    Baker had some success here as a rookie and sparked this team from the winless ranks to "gotta-see." He gave us fans some hope and long awaited excitement, even if just temporary.  I wanted us to draft the guy; and was happy we did so (until hindsight 20/20 reminded me the NFL has 32 film rooms that can find weaknesses to exploit - it was that or try to win an argument in lieu having intelligent conversation).  Some guys never get there and I think there's only 1 Vinny Testaverde that made Pro Bowls after 30/gray hair.  

    Aside from what Tia has shown us in this thread and his previous posts similar to it, the Dilfer-like panic attacks causing the dyslexic and premature progression reads incompatible with the speed of the game left a lot of open targets in lieu of the bad decisions.  More specifically, this isn't the Big 12 any more (same conference Colt McCoy came out of).  The difference I see between Baker and Colt is the maturity level required to maintain a leadership role that will keep teammates believing in you and what you bring. Also, Baker had some early success that he got complacent with.  For example, he was far more talented than the 1st 2 QB Coaches he had so he wasn't always open to their coaching. He was chugging beer at Cleveland Indians' baseball games; while preparing more for his wedding in the summer than training camp/football season ahead.  Another major distraction was doing all of the commercials that featured him.  All that, showed whoever needed to see it - this guy no longer had football as his #1 priority.

    I'm a Browns' fan that once admired his "if you count me out - I'll make you sorry for doing so."  That disappeared when he became too content with his rookie year; and refused to put the work in on his weaknesses.  The Browns still worked around those weaknesses in the playoff season to get a 26 TD passes to 8 INTs ratio; but we could see what was in the way of him being elite. Adversity didn't bring me the guy I thought he'd become.  Am I giving up too early?  I don't know and I don't care.  And why?  He doesn't play for my favorite team any more.  That's more important to me than trying to win an argument about a guy that can't help us win any more than he could the last year he played for us. 

    Joe Burrow was just being a nice guy before he wasn't one on the field last Sunday.... Let's do ourselves a favor and move on before we have a love-tragic Romeo and Juliet ending on our hands in here.