Skip to content

Is Joe Woods gone yet ?

The Browns Board
80 26 3.7k 1
  • N Neo

    To the people trashing Watson because he missed two years of football, just wondering why Mayfield gets a pass for playing on an injured shoulder. The coach never made him sit out so the next logical person is Mayfield. If he knew he wasn't 100% and still played, he pretty much fucked the season.

    But we already know why and it's has nothing to do with talent level. 

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @neo said:

    To the people trashing Watson because he missed two years of football, just wondering why Mayfield gets a pass for playing on an injured shoulder. The coach never made him sit out so the next logical person is Mayfield. If he knew he wasn't 100% and still played, he pretty much fucked the season.

    But we already know why and it's has nothing to do with talent level. 

    1. Mayfield won more games his injured year than the browns this year.

    2. Being off two years WAS SOLELY watson's OWN FAULT.

    3. 230 million GUARANTEED and THREE FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS for somebody who has "rust" ?

    4. watson got sacked all his career at a very high rate. That includes college, with no "rust" excuse.

    5. Face it, he  did NOT want to play for the browns. They should NEVER have given him that historically huge contract.

  • @neo said:

    To the people trashing Watson because he missed two years of football, just wondering why Mayfield gets a pass for playing on an injured shoulder. The coach never made him sit out so the next logical person is Mayfield. If he knew he wasn't 100% and still played, he pretty much fucked the season.

    But we already know why and it's has nothing to do with talent level. 

    1. Mayfield won more games his injured year than the browns this year.

    2. Being off two years WAS SOLELY watson's OWN FAULT.

    3. 230 million GUARANTEED and THREE FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS for somebody who has "rust" ?

    4. watson got sacked all his career at a very high rate. That includes college, with no "rust" excuse.

    5. Face it, he  did NOT want to play for the browns. They should NEVER have given him that historically huge contract.

    N Neo wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @calfoxwc said:

    Being off two years WAS SOLELY watson's OWN FAULT.

    So Mayfield's injury not his own fault? Because I remember him taking on a DB with a full head of steam. Instead of playing hero, he should have let him go, or learn how to tackle properly. What about choosing to play injured and not getting his shoulder repaired, not his fault?

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Stumbled upon this a little bit ago. . .

    204EB374-1904-4E24-B15D-99EAE70D0D21.jpeg

  • N Neo wrote on last edited by
    #29

    I'm so sick of hearing people complaining about Watson. If you actually watched yesterday's game, the Browns were pass heavy which meant Steelers just pinned their ears back and went after Watson. The way the game was flowing is points were hard to come by, Steelers offense wasn't doing much. The blown coverage for a TD in a tight game was a killer, I didn't see how they would recover from that considering how well the D was playing early on. Giving that touchdown up had to be deflating. Watson made some costly mistakes but he also escaped countless sacks and had a big play called back on a penalty. I just don't see how Watson shoulders a majority of the blame for the loss. 

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Watson is elusive!!

    Steelers 7 sacks

    Lol

  • It’s Monday morning, is he still here ? 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @7moses7 said:

    It’s Monday morning, is he still here ? 

    On the radio today Stef said that he let him go last night.

    I guess we'll be finding out who Depodesta wants for DC.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #32

    I could definitely see a scenario where the Browns sign Brian Flores as DC, he becomes the HC when Stefanski gets canned, and Depodesta and Berry hire their hand-picked pass-happy OC. When Flores was HC in Miami, apparently they tried to get Watson. 

  • @diehardbrownsfan1 said:

    Gotta give Watson a full year a starter before I make any judgements.  

    He's garbage...

    runyon27R runyon27 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @nickers said:

    He's garbage...

    incorrect

  • I could definitely see a scenario where the Browns sign Brian Flores as DC, he becomes the HC when Stefanski gets canned, and Depodesta and Berry hire their hand-picked pass-happy OC. When Flores was HC in Miami, apparently they tried to get Watson. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @dutch-oven said:

    I could definitely see a scenario where the Browns sign Brian Flores as DC, he becomes the HC when Stefanski gets canned, and Depodesta and Berry hire their hand-picked pass-happy OC. When Flores was HC in Miami, apparently they tried to get Watson. 

    We've seen this play out before.  One year the DC gets it.  The next year it's the HC.  But I'm hoping against it as I kinda' like Stef and I'm sick of starting over all the time.

  • N Neo wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Joe Woods shold have been fired long ago. How do you have multiple blown coverages in one season that result in touchdowns?

  • N Neo

    Joe Woods shold have been fired long ago. How do you have multiple blown coverages in one season that result in touchdowns?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #36

    @neo said:

    Joe Woods shold have been fired long ago. How do you have multiple blown coverages in one season that result in touchdowns?

    No it was the secondary years ago…the LBs the second year…the IDL this past year.  Nevermind he had 7 of the 8 top picks the past three years invested in defensive players.  We apparently didn’t give him enough. 
     

  • @neo said:

    Joe Woods shold have been fired long ago. How do you have multiple blown coverages in one season that result in touchdowns?

    No it was the secondary years ago…the LBs the second year…the IDL this past year.  Nevermind he had 7 of the 8 top picks the past three years invested in defensive players.  We apparently didn’t give him enough. 
     

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @sdbacker80 said:

    No it was the secondary years ago…the LBs the second year…the IDL this past year.  Nevermind he had 7 of the 8 top picks the past three years invested in defensive players.  We apparently didn’t give him enough. 
     

    Joe Woods was not a good Defensive Coordinator.

    But if the Browns trot out the caliber of DLine again next year, good luck to whoever lands the gig. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I could definitely see a scenario where the Browns sign Brian Flores as DC, he becomes the HC when Stefanski gets canned, and Depodesta and Berry hire their hand-picked pass-happy OC. When Flores was HC in Miami, apparently they tried to get Watson. 

    We've seen this play out before.  One year the DC gets it.  The next year it's the HC.  But I'm hoping against it as I kinda' like Stef and I'm sick of starting over all the time.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #38

    @orion said:

    We've seen this play out before.  One year the DC gets it.  The next year it's the HC.  But I'm hoping against it as I kinda' like Stef and I'm sick of starting over all the time.

    I like Kevin Stefanski.

    I just don't believe in him as a head coach anymore. I hope I'm wrong, and the Browns put up a season again like they did in his first season. 

    And I won't pretend to say I know how the Dolphins performed on a game-to-game basis under Flores, but I do know that the Dolphins were absolutely set up to tank with him there, and he had that team playing their asses off and damn near finished .500. 

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #39

    they fired woods ? no fucking way

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #40
  • This Mayfield love is making me sick. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #41

    @sdbacker80 said:

    This Mayfield love is making me sick. 

    Let the Baker Bros have their fun.

    Most of them won't be around once Mayfield hits 30. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

  • Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @tiamat63 said:

    Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

    If the Browns could find three other players besides Myles that can generate a pass rush, sign me up!

  • Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #44

    @tiamat63 said:

    Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

    I'd say Jim does fits this FO..

    hope he's interviewed https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/01/browns-request-dc-interviews-with-brian-flores-jim-schwartz-jerod-mayo-sean-desai#comments  2 years & a quality defensive coaching *staff hired .. advantage Schwartz

    from espn..

    While DC at Philly

    Analytics are being deployed on the defensive side of the ball as well. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz might come off as an old-school football guy, but he studied econometrics -- the application of statistical and mathematical techniques in solving problems -- at Georgetown, and is known to be very much data-driven in his approach to the job.

    He passes his statistical findings on to his players, and demands they be able to recall it at a moment's notice.

    At Titans..

    https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-nfl-jim-schwartz-analytics-history

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Don't sleep on Jim Schwartz.  I was a big fan of his designs when he was in Philly and he might be one of the most creative NFL coaches in generating pressures with only a 4 man rush.  

    I'd say Jim does fits this FO..

    hope he's interviewed https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/01/browns-request-dc-interviews-with-brian-flores-jim-schwartz-jerod-mayo-sean-desai#comments  2 years & a quality defensive coaching *staff hired .. advantage Schwartz

    from espn..

    While DC at Philly

    Analytics are being deployed on the defensive side of the ball as well. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz might come off as an old-school football guy, but he studied econometrics -- the application of statistical and mathematical techniques in solving problems -- at Georgetown, and is known to be very much data-driven in his approach to the job.

    He passes his statistical findings on to his players, and demands they be able to recall it at a moment's notice.

    At Titans..

    https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-nfl-jim-schwartz-analytics-history

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @gumby73 said:

    I'd say Jim does fits this FO.. hope he's interviewed

    from espn..

    While DC at Philly

    Analytics are being deployed on the defensive side of the ball as well. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz might come off as an old-school football guy, but he studied econometrics -- the application of statistical and mathematical techniques in solving problems -- at Georgetown, and is known to be very much data-driven in his approach to the job.

    He passes his statistical findings on to his players, and demands they be able to recall it at a moment's notice.

    At Titans..

    https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/tennessee-titans-nfl-jim-schwartz-analytics-history

     There's that, but his defensive structures also play into recent NFL trends that have shown teams reducing their blitz rates.  Not just against certain offenses, but league wide in general.   So his penchant for rush creativity tends to fit hand in hand with that data. 

     Like Gregg Williams though, Schwartz is a big believer in man coverage IIRC and was at times, just like Williams, almost far too rigid in his calls for downs/distances.    So It'll be fun if he's hired, checking back on this board this time next year seeing the same posters bitch about his style of coaching vis a vis Woods'.   Almost sort of hoping that happens. 

    Either way, any new DC will place renewed emphasis on the DL.  That's the main take away from this.