Skip to content

Someone Must Be Giving Haslam/Depodesta Bad Advice/Juju!

The Browns Board
34 10 1.1k 1
  • OK......Back on my soapbox.  

    Who on the Browns has a better attitude than Chubb?  A better work ethic?  Better on field production?  A better team mate?  Who's a better role model than Chubb?

    Does Chubb not exemplify everything that you would want in a Cleveland Brown football player?  Right down to handing the ref the football after a 90 yard TD run?

    How do you trade that player away?  What statement would the team be making if they were to do that?  Especially considering the PR situation their trading for Watson has produced.  I vote, No More Paul Warfield Stuff please.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @orion said:

    OK......Back on my soapbox.  

    Who on the Browns has a better attitude than Chubb?  A better work ethic?  Better on field production?  A better team mate?  Who's a better role model than Chubb?

    Does Chubb not exemplify everything that you would want in a Cleveland Brown football player?  Right down to handing the ref the football after a 90 yard TD run?

    How do you trade that player away?  What statement would the team be making if they were to do that?  Especially considering the PR situation their trading for Watson has produced.  I vote, No More Paul Warfield Stuff please.

    I don't disagree.

    I guess from a football standpoint, those things don't matter all that much.  To us, Chubb is untradable...around the league teams might offer a 3rd- 4th round pick at best.

    Add in the O is going to change and Nicks carries are going to drop....like maybe 20%.  Carries for backs around the league have dropped.  We still talk about 1000 yards as something special.  Big deal.  That is under 60 yards a game.

  • @orion said:

    OK......Back on my soapbox.  

    Who on the Browns has a better attitude than Chubb?  A better work ethic?  Better on field production?  A better team mate?  Who's a better role model than Chubb?

    Does Chubb not exemplify everything that you would want in a Cleveland Brown football player?  Right down to handing the ref the football after a 90 yard TD run?

    How do you trade that player away?  What statement would the team be making if they were to do that?  Especially considering the PR situation their trading for Watson has produced.  I vote, No More Paul Warfield Stuff please.

    I don't disagree.

    I guess from a football standpoint, those things don't matter all that much.  To us, Chubb is untradable...around the league teams might offer a 3rd- 4th round pick at best.

    Add in the O is going to change and Nicks carries are going to drop....like maybe 20%.  Carries for backs around the league have dropped.  We still talk about 1000 yards as something special.  Big deal.  That is under 60 yards a game.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't disagree.

    I guess from a football standpoint, those things don't matter all that much.  To us, Chubb is untradable...around the league teams might offer a 3rd- 4th round pick at best.

    Add in the O is going to change and Nicks carries are going to drop....like maybe 20%.  Carries for backs around the league have dropped.  We still talk about 1000 yards as something special.  Big deal.  That is under 60 yards a game.

    Rushing for 1000 yards back when they only played 12 games (and later 14 games) was very special IMO.  Now that GREED is more important than player safety and records - rushing for 1000 yards in 17 starts isn't any big deal. You're spot on about the way OTHER teams will be looking at Chubb.  They the see wear and tear of Chubb starting 4 years in the SEC + 5 years of starting in Cleveland before they're willing to give up multiple picks and a huge salary.  That's FINE with me because I'd rather keep the QUIET leader of this team right where he belongs.  Even better, he WANTS to be in Cleveland.  Orion already did an excellent job of explaining how many ways this guy means everything in Cleveland.  If this Owner and FO trades away this unique and special player - What the Flock of Seagulls are we rooting for here?  

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

  • Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @ballpeen said:

    Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    Sadly, yes.  

  • @ballpeen said:

    Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    Sadly, yes.  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @orion said:

    Sadly, yes.  

    Nope... Their 1st in my eyes will never equal what Chubb has given to this team..

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I hate the idea that the Browns might trade Nick Chubb. My two Browns jerseys are both #24.

    I also think a good portion of NFL fans couldn't pick out a RB on the Chiefs or the Eagles roster in a police lineup. 

  • Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @ballpeen said:

    Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    Risky risky risky. 

    As Browns fans we all know a 1st round pick is no guarantee, no sure thing. 

  • Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @ballpeen said:

    Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    Chubb wasn't even our 1st choice in round 2.  Believe it or not, it was Austin Corbett before we got Chubb a few slots later. While Corbett never justified the 33rd overall pick, he ended up starting at RG for the Super Bowl Champion LA Rams.

    The last 2 first picks of this FO were Wills and Newsome.  Last season, Emerson actually outplayed Newsome to the extent that Newsome ended up covering the slot receiver.  I think the reason for that is Emerson has better press coverage assets/frame/skills; so they preferred him up on the LOS rather than whoever lines up as a slot/flanker off the LOS.  If that's truly the case, we have a 3rd round pick outplaying a 1st round pick unless it's just another disappointing result/coincidence of being under the influence of Joe Woods.  Either is possible I suppose.  

    With the track record of this FO, I don't want to kick Nick Chubb (our top scoring weapon and valuable leader by example) outta here for a guy that might pan out.  I will confess if we could land the one of the best DTs in this draft or get a shot at a special certain WR out of Ohio State- I would at least be tempted.  This franchise needs a bright spot; and Chubb been that and a lot more.  Let's reward this guy with a good draft that puts more keepers on the roster and betters the team around him.  It's okay to demand more from those doing the drafting if people want us competing with the teams in our division that go to the playoffs or Super Bowl far more frequently.  

  • @ballpeen said:

    Well said, but if someone offered a 1st, I would take it.

    Risky risky risky. 

    As Browns fans we all know a 1st round pick is no guarantee, no sure thing. 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @bob806 said:

    Risky risky risky. 

    As Browns fans we all know a 1st round pick is no guarantee, no sure thing. 

    That is another issue, but even Nick isn't a sure thing, meaning that age, usage, and injury could all impact that.

    For the record, I am not advocating that we trade the guy.  I am just at a point(have been) that I don't like or root for players more than the team.  I like some players more than others, and Nick would be one of those, but not so much that I would keep him or anyone else over what might make the team better.

  • @bob806 said:

    Risky risky risky. 

    As Browns fans we all know a 1st round pick is no guarantee, no sure thing. 

    That is another issue, but even Nick isn't a sure thing, meaning that age, usage, and injury could all impact that.

    For the record, I am not advocating that we trade the guy.  I am just at a point(have been) that I don't like or root for players more than the team.  I like some players more than others, and Nick would be one of those, but not so much that I would keep him or anyone else over what might make the team better.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @ballpeen said:

    That is another issue, but even Nick isn't a sure thing, meaning that age, usage, and injury could all impact that.

    For the record, I am not advocating that we trade the guy.  I am just at a point(have been) that I don't like or root for players more than the team.  I like some players more than others, and Nick would be one of those, but not so much that I would keep him or anyone else over what might make the team better.

    True, but it seems to me he has more mileage left in the tank. He's the main man, but the Browns don't run him to death like say a Derrick Henry. 

    75 career games, 1210 carries (roughly 16/game), see the link below. I'm hoping we get to enjoy Chubb for a few more seasons. 

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #15

    He’s not a 1000 yard rusher he’s 1500 yard rusher with a moronic play caller that doesn’t feature him enough.

    He averages 5 yards a carry over multiple seasons- a quick look around the league- that is  “unique” I’d call him “special” definitely not someone/something you replace easily. 
     

    And he’s just a consummate professional in a day and age with spoiled talent 

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I might be wrong, but I don't think you guys account for how the O is going to change.  it's not going to be what it has been the last several years.

    It was too late in the season to make any real changes once Watson entered the picture, but next year is a whole new deal.

  • He’s not a 1000 yard rusher he’s 1500 yard rusher with a moronic play caller that doesn’t feature him enough.

    He averages 5 yards a carry over multiple seasons- a quick look around the league- that is  “unique” I’d call him “special” definitely not someone/something you replace easily. 
     

    And he’s just a consummate professional in a day and age with spoiled talent 

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @sdbacker80 said:

    He’s not a 1000 yard rusher he’s 1500 yard rusher with a moronic play caller that doesn’t feature him enough.

    He averages 5 yards a carry over multiple seasons- a quick look around the league- that is  “unique” I’d call him “special” definitely not someone/something you replace easily. 
     

    And he’s just a consummate professional in a day and age with spoiled talent 

    Think what you want, but Stefanski is going to get more 'moronic" in your view because we didn't pay Watson what we paid to have him hand the ball off to Nick Chubb 25-30 times a game.

  • I might be wrong, but I don't think you guys account for how the O is going to change.  it's not going to be what it has been the last several years.

    It was too late in the season to make any real changes once Watson entered the picture, but next year is a whole new deal.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @ballpeen said:

    I might be wrong, but I don't think you guys account for how the O is going to change.  it's not going to be what it has been the last several years.

    It was too late in the season to make any real changes once Watson entered the picture, but next year is a whole new deal.

    Hence, why I mentioned that most people have no idea who Philly or KC's RBs are. 

    That could very well be the template for the Browns future on offense.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I might be wrong, but I don't think you guys account for how the O is going to change.  it's not going to be what it has been the last several years.

    It was too late in the season to make any real changes once Watson entered the picture, but next year is a whole new deal.

    Hence, why I mentioned that most people have no idea who Philly or KC's RBs are. 

    That could very well be the template for the Browns future on offense.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hence, why I mentioned that most people have no idea who Philly or KC's RBs are. 

    That could very well be the template for the Browns future on offense.

    Just thinking out loud here.  Even scarier - I'm owning it.  Right now, KC's 7th round RB Isiah Pacheco looks like he's better than their former 1st round RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

    In an entirely different offense, Cleveland's offense really counts on it's running game to set up everything else.  Consequently, they've paid very generous contracts to Chubb and Hunt. Unfortunately, it looked like Hunt had about 30 lbs of cement in each cleat last year.  That might have been why he was looking down at the ground instead of what was in front of him.  IMO, he just didn't look like the same player.

  • I might be wrong, but I don't think you guys account for how the O is going to change.  it's not going to be what it has been the last several years.

    It was too late in the season to make any real changes once Watson entered the picture, but next year is a whole new deal.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @ballpeen said:

    the O is going to change

    We know that Depo wants 13 yard passes and has no use for 4 yard runs.  So don't be surprised if they don't use FA to set up a WR pick at 43.  

  • @ballpeen said:

    the O is going to change

    We know that Depo wants 13 yard passes and has no use for 4 yard runs.  So don't be surprised if they don't use FA to set up a WR pick at 43.  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @orion said:

    We know that Depo wants 13 yard passes and has no use for 4 yard runs.  So don't be surprised if they don't use FA to set up a WR pick at 43.  

    I don't know about having no use, but I agree, and it isn't just Depo.  It's spreading league wide.  Dutch brought up KC's backs.  Philly too.  Gainwell is one of the lead backs, and he is just a guy.

    If you go back and look at the last several SB winners, none had what one would consider a lead back who carried the team.  You might have to go back 10 years with the Bus in Seattle.  Shoot, look at the Patriots. They have never had a back who simply stands out.

    We need to get over this hand the ball off to a guy 25 times a game.  It's just not a winning formula if winning 10-12 games a year and making deep playoff runs is the goal. Scoring fast and often is the ticket, and you don't do that by running the ball.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Oh, I agree that we might look to sign a DT in free agency and draft a WR.  To me it makes some sense.

    First, I think it is easier to find a DT who is good enough in FA over a WR who is good enough.   Especially when considering price point for such players.

    Next, I think it is more likely to find a rookie receiver in the 2nd round who can make an immediate impact over finding a DT in the 2nd who makes impact.

    I also think everybody in Berea knows their jobs are on the line and aren't going to be willing to make their stand with a rookie DT and will rather go with some vet who is proven to some degree.  We don't need a top 10% DT, we just need a solid player to see big improvements.

    Now that I have said all of that, we might do the opposite.  LOL

  • @orion said:

    We know that Depo wants 13 yard passes and has no use for 4 yard runs.  So don't be surprised if they don't use FA to set up a WR pick at 43.  

    I don't know about having no use, but I agree, and it isn't just Depo.  It's spreading league wide.  Dutch brought up KC's backs.  Philly too.  Gainwell is one of the lead backs, and he is just a guy.

    If you go back and look at the last several SB winners, none had what one would consider a lead back who carried the team.  You might have to go back 10 years with the Bus in Seattle.  Shoot, look at the Patriots. They have never had a back who simply stands out.

    We need to get over this hand the ball off to a guy 25 times a game.  It's just not a winning formula if winning 10-12 games a year and making deep playoff runs is the goal. Scoring fast and often is the ticket, and you don't do that by running the ball.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #23

    @ballpeen said:

    We need to get over this hand the ball off to a guy 25 times a game.  It's just not a winning formula if winning 10-12 games a year and making deep playoff runs is the goal. Scoring fast and often is the ticket, and you don't do that by running the ball.

    I agree with every word you said in your back to back posts...but I'm singling this out because there are staunch old school posters who if not openly, then privately, want us to go back to two backs in the backfield and be a power running team.  But even when we had the great Jim Brown in our backfield the '64 championship was won by Frank Ryan Gary, Collins and a good defensive effort.  I think some of Cleveland's best ever offense came from Bernie Kosar, Webster Slaughter, Reggie Langhorne, Brian Brennan and Ozzie Newsome.  (along with Mack & Byner)   We have a good enough running attack to mimic those glory days...We just need more fire power at receiver.

    I still agree with Joe Banner...Pass and rush the passer!

    If the #1 running attack is playing the #1 passing attack....and all else is even....who would you make the favorite?  

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by SdBacker80
    #24

    I’m Not asking for a carry quota…I would like to see when we are in one score/tied games in the second half (often times last year we were just a score down) we don’t completely abandon the run game.  Our play caller panics way too much in this situations.   
     

    And If we are getting 5/6 yards a carry I’d like to stick with that formula more often than not.  If the other team isn’t going to take something away- make them pay the price…don’t try to get cute