The 2023 season film studies. Thread of questions and answers.
-
@nickers said:
Fuck you , Take your holier than thou act elsewhere... You don't own this goddamn site!
That is true, tia does not in fact own this site.
But he sure owns you.
-
@nickers said:
Fuck you , Take your holier than thou act elsewhere... You don't own this goddamn site!
I apologized to JRB previously in this thread for a comment I made, not so much at him, but in general that was a response to him. Apologizing to him was the right thing to do, he knows ball, talks it well, and I enjoy what he has to say. And I will make sure I check my attitude at the door for anyone who brings quality discussion where mutual knowledge is shared. But that isn't you.
For every slightly sensible thing you say, there are another dozen inaccurate, unoriginal and immature takes. Didn't you say Jacoby Brissett was trash? Even more funny, all you did was insult my work when I broke down his time in Miami. Here we are a year later, and you're in the crowd hoping the Browns traded back for him. "Shitpantski", really? I bet you think calling television "smellavision" is top fucking tier. The site is not mine, it's owned by Steve but, in a sense conveyed by him, belongs to all. Because he's someone who wants to drive this project as a community. Which is exactly what this is. I deal with enough effeminate males in my personal and professional life to have to read whining in my own thread. And THAT, is exactly what this is. The one I start every year that rolls through until the season is over, is mine and allowed as my own sort of 'platform', if you will. While I take ownership of this thread (in a sense) I want community involvement absolutely, because this game has been my passion since I was 13 and I love few things more than talking to those as passionate, dedicated and intelligent.
I moderate this thread and this thread only. All that I ask is people bring their A+ game. I know others might have noticed I haven't been very diligent posting my breakdowns here as I was. Time is a currency I have less of these days, and I'm not about to burn mine scrolling through or past people who don't have something to say worth the time reading.
Come in, share information, drop something funny, enlightening, worth reading, betting advice, or digest the football knowledge and assessments given and let them marinate. I've handed this board hundreds of dollars worth of gambling info in the last 2 years alone - use it to your advantage.
Anything less from you, or anyone else, can piss off and keep on moving.
-
As often as nickers brings me up, I almost get the impression that he has a crush on me.
I'm flattered.
And that's a hilarious take on your thoughts of Brissett when he signed with the Browns. You praised him? ?
-
@nickers said:
I said nothing of the kind about Jacoby.. I praised him..
You ....07/24/2022 - "Briskett is Trash". "Spare us the bullshit"
It's right there in the link and your post I had quoted over a year ago. Along with me still asking you 'what' about Joe Woods scheme is the issue?
PM me if you want to come back to the adults table at any point. We welcome anyone who behaves as such. Until then, your act is removed from this thread.
-
I'd love to see these sorts of gap exchanges by the Browns defense, but they really aren't built like that. The biggest difference being that we don't have a Bobby Wagner. Although I'd been effusive in calling Delpit 'Jamal Adams lite'.
Its been quite a while since I've seen, what I was coached, as a "true" double eagle. For Buckeye fans, you'll remember this one vividly. This is the defensive front Va Tech used widely to beat Urban Meyers option attack when they visited The Shoe in 2014.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a gap exchange from Bobby and Jamal vs the Ravens double backside power read.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Brownies have used quite a bit more Over fronts (3 tech to strength) lately. Where we opened up the season playing more Under. I'd like to see us go back to more Under and Odd looks, but this is why I mentioned Siaki Ika in the other thread. We don't have those big body LB's like Bobby Wagner. If they want (be nice) to go back to some Under and disrupt these looks with our bigger bodies up front, then I need that space eater who can hold that front side shade down, disrupt the pulls by taking the center vertically upfield and let the LB's get under and past pulls before they begin to develop. Downside, like there is to everything, is that it opens up more looks in the RPO game for Mark Andrews.
Either way, this defense was far too aggressive and way to many communication busts off motion the first time around. Delpit needs to spend extra time in the film room and meeting room this week. Because, until the Ravens see that he isn't a crux of gap integrity issues, they're going to go right back at him and he has to be prepared to fill that same role Adams did last week.
edit: Two more observations.
Lamar LOVES starting his progressions Mark Andrews side, even if the defensive leverage isn't ideal for it. Where Seattle fucked around and found out, was calling pressures FROM the same side Andrews was on. That's going to be a big no-no moving forward, because you aren't going to be able to surprise Lamar from a side where his eyes are starting.
Really want to see the defense structure around more 5 man pressures, start to finish this time. Jackson has become a patient enough passer where he isn't bailing on clean pockets consistently if he anticipates it or gets ghosts more than he feels it, especially early if you don't get to him. He still isn't elite or even significantly above average throwing off balance or off platform going from 1 to 2 to 3... but if you give him a clean pocket to step and throw, despite his wonky motion, he delivers a pretty pass.
double edit: For the gambles. Lamar Jackson O/U 209 passing yards. If the Browns offense comes out healthy and actually forces the Ravens to have to move the ball in the 2nd half, I'd feel comfortable taking the over on that for Lamar. Pass attempts will probably sit between 24-27 as well.
-
nickers top ten of stupid
Kevin is gonna ruin Deshaun just like he ruined Mayfield... Stef is a QB killer...
and he got pissed at me for calling him out ? cousins brissett and mayfield all had their best years working with kevin .
I will never bring this up again. And I never bet on a Browns game, My heart can't take it
-
-
I do not have any number's ? But i do believe we play in man coverage more often than zone. And with their qb, shouldn't we play more zone ?
I do not have any number's ? But i do believe we play in man coverage more often than zone. And with their qb, shouldn't we play more zone ?
That has sort of become a bit of an out dated way of dealing with QBs who have elite wheels. The old school way was to zone behind everything because you'd always hear about "having eyes on the QB".
Regardless if it's man, match/mod or zone, where it really matters is up front. You have to maintain your integrity and not surrender easy rushing lanes. If you're getting it done there, you can run your man coverage, or a variety of calls, and find success against Lamar. I cite what I say because of the success I've watched the Titans defense have against him several times now. Consistently holding Jackson well under season averages.
-
I do not have any number's ? But i do believe we play in man coverage more often than zone. And with their qb, shouldn't we play more zone ?
That has sort of become a bit of an out dated way of dealing with QBs who have elite wheels. The old school way was to zone behind everything because you'd always hear about "having eyes on the QB".
Regardless if it's man, match/mod or zone, where it really matters is up front. You have to maintain your integrity and not surrender easy rushing lanes. If you're getting it done there, you can run your man coverage, or a variety of calls, and find success against Lamar. I cite what I say because of the success I've watched the Titans defense have against him several times now. Consistently holding Jackson well under season averages.
That has sort of become a bit of an out dated way of dealing with QBs who have elite wheels. The old school way was to zone behind everything because you'd always hear about "having eyes on the QB".
Regardless if it's man, match/mod or zone, where it really matters is up front. You have to maintain your integrity and not surrender easy rushing lanes. If you're getting it done there, you can run your man coverage, or a variety of calls, and find success against Lamar. I cite what I say because of the success I've watched the Titans defense have against him several times now. Consistently holding Jackson well under season averages.
Nope going old school and I agree with starting up front pressure. Newsome is questionable and Mitchell went on ir
-
As often as nickers brings me up, I almost get the impression that he has a crush on me.
I'm flattered.
And that's a hilarious take on your thoughts of Brissett when he signed with the Browns. You praised him? ?
Brissett when he signed with the Browns. You praised him
I sure as hell did. I thought Indy were fools to let him go
-
A few great adjustments by Stef and Van Pelt after that nasty 1st quarter. The big one was to make Kyle Hamilton a target in coverage. Those flat routes by Njoku were, I truly believe, sight adjusts off of his alignment.
The inline motion from Njoku means the corner now picks up Ced as the #1 instead of david. So in the Ravens familiar single high, he has to carry him upfield. Meaning Hamilton will pick up Njoku and he's sitting just inside shade of David, with his eyes in the back field like the aggressive downhill player he is.
So this turns into a read off of his leverage. If he's inside like that, you run underneath him and flat, while Ced carries upfield and forces him to get past/through the rub to make the tackle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The offshoot of this was when he would play the curl/flat in their cover 3.
Both Watson and Njoku HAVE to be on the same page here. Speaking of pages, you're welcomed to go back a few and read my comments, but THIS is the connection I said that has needed the most improvement and, IMHO, was the most important to find offensive continuity moving forward. Because it gives us the ability to attack these sort of defensive calls with a size and athletic mismatch all in one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a VERY promising start to this on field dynamic. I can only hope, like the rest of us, that our health holds up and we see more of this week to week. I have one more observation from the running game to follow.
-
A few great adjustments by Stef and Van Pelt after that nasty 1st quarter. The big one was to make Kyle Hamilton a target in coverage. Those flat routes by Njoku were, I truly believe, sight adjusts off of his alignment.
The inline motion from Njoku means the corner now picks up Ced as the #1 instead of david. So in the Ravens familiar single high, he has to carry him upfield. Meaning Hamilton will pick up Njoku and he's sitting just inside shade of David, with his eyes in the back field like the aggressive downhill player he is.
So this turns into a read off of his leverage. If he's inside like that, you run underneath him and flat, while Ced carries upfield and forces him to get past/through the rub to make the tackle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The offshoot of this was when he would play the curl/flat in their cover 3.
Both Watson and Njoku HAVE to be on the same page here. Speaking of pages, you're welcomed to go back a few and read my comments, but THIS is the connection I said that has needed the most improvement and, IMHO, was the most important to find offensive continuity moving forward. Because it gives us the ability to attack these sort of defensive calls with a size and athletic mismatch all in one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a VERY promising start to this on field dynamic. I can only hope, like the rest of us, that our health holds up and we see more of this week to week. I have one more observation from the running game to follow.
-
what the hell got into Ford today
Great question. We showed this midway through the 2nd qtr, but couldn't really keep going back to it because of being down by multiple scores. But this was the coaches answer for the Ravens continuing to send pressure off the edge.
------------------------------------------------------------
Keep in mind, this isn't a true "read" Watson isn't going to keep this, barring going completely rogue. You unblock the edge, and freeze them playing QB keep. You fold the nose from the center, pull bito and Njoku on the right stands up the other edge. So what you're doing is bluffing a read outside, pulling inside, stealing a gap and creating a 1on1 block with the high safety having to be responsible to come down on Ford. All he has to do is be patient, let the block setup on the pull, and read off of that.
-----------------------------------------
Want to take a moment to highlight Njoku's continued improved blocking. Both outside and Inline. I know he had a few rough moments today, including dropping an open catch for a first down. But he did the dirty work when it counted as well. He bounced back in a real strong way in the 2nd half.
-
what the hell got into Ford today
Great question. We showed this midway through the 2nd qtr, but couldn't really keep going back to it because of being down by multiple scores. But this was the coaches answer for the Ravens continuing to send pressure off the edge.
------------------------------------------------------------
Keep in mind, this isn't a true "read" Watson isn't going to keep this, barring going completely rogue. You unblock the edge, and freeze them playing QB keep. You fold the nose from the center, pull bito and Njoku on the right stands up the other edge. So what you're doing is bluffing a read outside, pulling inside, stealing a gap and creating a 1on1 block with the high safety having to be responsible to come down on Ford. All he has to do is be patient, let the block setup on the pull, and read off of that.
-----------------------------------------
Want to take a moment to highlight Njoku's continued improved blocking. Both outside and Inline. I know he had a few rough moments today, including dropping an open catch for a first down. But he did the dirty work when it counted as well. He bounced back in a real strong way in the 2nd half.
-
Just like the first meeting, the Ravens first offensive touchdown scored was a design that directly takes advantage of Grant Delpits overly aggressive nature. Instead of showing it from the misdirection to QB wrap, Baltimore got creative from under center showing the hand on a fake smoke to slant, and ran a sprint draw misdirection off of that and under Myles.
It sort of reminded me of a staple play from Charlie Weiss' offense. Darius Walker really came on strong his last couple years at Notre Dame because he was a patient runner who would let these develop. Play is at the 2:12 mark.
Showing that bluff to the slot gets aggressive second level defenders to expand laterally and upfield at the same time. Meaning they take themselves further from, or completely out of the play.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore did something of their own like that from under center against our 8 man box.
---------------------------------------------------------
Lamar takes the pump at the weakside "slant" during his drive step from under center. Delpit, in his nature, opens his hips and attacks laterally far too quickly and aggressively. I understand you want to get underneath this slant and house it like you did against Pittsburgh, but this is tendency being used against you now. The problem isn't that you bit on the cheese, it's how incredibly HARD to bit down on it. Leaving little, if any, room to recover.
----------------------------------------------------------------
- Another component is us using Myles as the edge monster he is. Because of that, it too can be used against us in these situations if that B gap integrity isn't maintained.
- Delpit see's his mistake, squares his shoulders and drives downfield.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Much like his predecessor, Jabril, Grants angles coming from depth can be a serious problem at times. And since the Ravens haven't shown much of Keaton Mitchell, he underestimates the first step quickness and ability to hit top end. Mitch isn't a big dude, but he's an athlete in space. Delpit should have attacked heading towards the numbers and turned this back inside and down the lane where pursuit (and Thornhill) would have been.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Emerson just doesn't have the food speed to close here. This is what a true 4.3 looks like when you hit top gear. Impressive shit on a football field when you get natural runners to space.
The defense obviously came back to make some plays, including some drive killings sacks and a huge pick six. But these early game mental mistakes by Grant need to be cleaned up in the worst possible way. Because you can only get into so many double digit holes before your offense just isn't able to climb back in it.
edit: Can't spare Taki either. When you're playing a zero stack like that off a dline shift, you can't get caught flat footed not getting to the gap as the fill and then walk into a pin by a lineman. He's been struggling with these looks as well. He's another one whose play has been very up and down at times.
-
If you could put one defensive player in the NFL on the Browns in the back seven, who would it be tia?
It feels like we are missing one top tier LB or safety from our defense to being a more consistent top-notch squad.
-
If you could put one defensive player in the NFL on the Browns in the back seven, who would it be tia?
It feels like we are missing one top tier LB or safety from our defense to being a more consistent top-notch squad.
If you could put one defensive player in the NFL on the Browns in the back seven, who would it be tia?
If money was no issue? Minkah is the first name my mind goes to. Probably the most complete safety in the NFL and would be that middle field eraser when we're single high. And that is where we run into problems the most, especially when Delpit is said high safety.
Honorable mention to Winfield and possibly another name you won't hear much - Jevon Holland. There are a couple other young names I'll be keeping my eye on as the season goes who look like they might take up that torch and carry it into the next few years.
If this was operating off of cap squeeze and trying to find one piece to fuel a defensive minded playoff run? Malik Hooker. Would be sick having babayega back in Ohio roaming the middle.
-
Question about Watson’s throwing mechanics. A number of his throws this last game reminded me of a basketball hook shot, more wrist and elbow than shoulder. I don’t think that’s any kind of astute observation, the guy’s got a bad shoulder and all, but l feel like he’s been working at these types of throws the last few games with mixed results, but l think he’s found a groove and even figuring out how to sling some longer passes like that.
Anyone else seeing this or is it in my head?
-
Question about Watson’s throwing mechanics. A number of his throws this last game reminded me of a basketball hook shot, more wrist and elbow than shoulder. I don’t think that’s any kind of astute observation, the guy’s got a bad shoulder and all, but l feel like he’s been working at these types of throws the last few games with mixed results, but l think he’s found a groove and even figuring out how to sling some longer passes like that.
Anyone else seeing this or is it in my head?
Question about Watson’s throwing mechanics. A number of his throws this last game reminded me of a basketball hook shot, more wrist and elbow than shoulder. I don’t think that’s any kind of astute observation, the guy’s got a bad shoulder and all, but l feel like he’s been working at these types of throws the last few games with mixed results, but l think he’s found a groove and even figuring out how to sling some longer passes like that.
Anyone else seeing this or is it in my head?
Yeah, I think tia mentioned something similar during the game thread too.
Instead of driving the with a complete follow-through he almost looks like he's flicking the ball with more of his wrist.
-
Question about Watson’s throwing mechanics. A number of his throws this last game reminded me of a basketball hook shot, more wrist and elbow than shoulder. I don’t think that’s any kind of astute observation, the guy’s got a bad shoulder and all, but l feel like he’s been working at these types of throws the last few games with mixed results, but l think he’s found a groove and even figuring out how to sling some longer passes like that.
Anyone else seeing this or is it in my head?
Question about Watson’s throwing mechanics. A number of his throws this last game reminded me of a basketball hook shot, more wrist and elbow than shoulder. I don’t think that’s any kind of astute observation, the guy’s got a bad shoulder and all, but l feel like he’s been working at these types of throws the last few games with mixed results, but l think he’s found a groove and even figuring out how to sling some longer passes like that.
Anyone else seeing this or is it in my head?
The biggest problem is how inconsistent Watsons current motion is. It's clear, from what he's doing and how he's constantly working and stretching his shoulder between snaps, that there's still pain and discomfort.
The most reoccurring theme almost looks like he's "pushing" the ball, ending with his palm facing out, when he tries to put any sauce on it. Results have been mixed. But it would help explain the lower throws.
Side note, nobody tell Cal that both Baker and Josh Allen are looking painfully average right now. Another int for the former on a ball that was poorly placed.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login