Skip to content

When qb's have wr's that can get OPEN, here's what happens

The Browns Board
44 13 2.0k 2
  • @calfoxwc said:

    The Browns upgraded their cast of wr's dramatically. That is a saving grace for a qb who needs to make a pass play work with little time.

    What could have been -

    "

    Latest News

    • Sunday 5:47 PM | Rotowire.com

      Leads upset win in team debut

      Mayfield completed 21 of 34 passes for 173 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions and added eight carries for 11 yards in the Buccaneers' 20-17 win over the Vikings on Sunday.
      Advice: Officially beginning his tenure as the Buccaneers' starting quarterback, Mayfield displayed impressive poise during a mistake-free performance in a tough road environment. The 2018 first overall pick unsurprisingly leaned on Mike Evans and Chris Godwin the most, with 11 of his completions, 117 yards and one of his touchdowns ending up in the hands of the duo. Mayfield connected with seven different targets overall, and in addition to his 28-yard scoring toss to Evans just before halftime, he also hit rookie Trey Palmer for a seven-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter. With a solid start to the season under his belt, Mayfield will look to build on it in his Week 2 home debut against the Bears."

    Even Jameis Winston threw for 5109 yards and 33 TDs while completing 60.7% of his passes when he had the top 2 WRs in the conference (Evans and Godwin) in 2019.  However, Jameis also threw 30 INTs that same season.  Having great WRs doesn't prevent QBs from being careless (ie; Josh Allen vrs the Jets).

    IMO, Baker has to prove he can be consistent in this league.  Sometimes he'll have a good game; and then the next opponent shows up well prepared to stop him. Maybe more experience will help that who knows?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @flugel said:

    Even Jameis Winston threw for 5109 yards and 33 TDs while completing 60.7% of his passes when he had the top 2 WRs in the conference (Evans and Godwin) in 2019.  However, Jameis also threw 30 INTs that same season.  Having great WRs doesn't prevent QBs from being careless (ie; Josh Allen vrs the Jets).

    IMO, Baker has to prove he can be consistent in this league.  Sometimes he'll have a good game; and then the next opponent shows up well prepared to stop him. Maybe more experience will help that who knows?

    We've debated Baker's plusses and minuses ad nauseum, so there's NO need to rehash them again. We can just point out that Baker is now on his 4th team- that's what's called a "journeyman". Hey, Nick Foles won a Super Bowl, can Mayfield pull the same rabbit out of his hat? Personally, I doubt it. He is who he is, & marked improvement at this stage of his career is damn unlikely. And I certainly don't obsess about him. Yeah any QB with rudimentary NFL skills can look mighty good if he has all day to throw, and a couple of Pro Bowl caliber WRs to throw to. 

  • Moving on, vs the squealers, I hope the Browns score twice as many points as the scum from three rivers.

    What is impressive is the Browns' defense. They interviewed Schwartz, and he seems to be a huge breath of fresh air, he actually makes serious sense when he talks.

    He should be HC eventually.

    SI has a list of NFL defenses rated:

    Browns are not top five...yet.

    Tenth isn't too bad after week one:

    Team Defense Rankings:

    1. Cowboys, DAL, vs. NYJ
    2. 49ers, SF, at LAR
    3. Eagles, PHI, vs. MIN
    4. Bills, BUF, vs. LV
    5. Broncos, DEN, vs. WAS
    6. Giants, NYG, ar ARI
    7. Buccaneers, TB, vs. CHI
    8. Browns, CLE, at PIT
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @calfoxwc said:

    Moving on, vs the squealers, I hope the Browns score twice as many points as the scum from three rivers.

    What is impressive is the Browns' defense. They interviewed Schwartz, and he seems to be a huge breath of fresh air, he actually makes serious sense when he talks.

    He should be HC eventually.

    Did you forget once upon a time Schwartz WAS a head coach?   

    @nickers said:

    I would love to have him replace Kevvy... I still don't trust Kevvy when it counts

    NO, YOU DON'T.  Let me tell you why. Ya see, my brother in laws are huge Lions fans.... And their unanimous opinion is Schwartz sucked during his head coaching tenure in Detroit. It's certainly possible Jim has found his niche as a top Defensive Coordinator. The number of top OC's and DC's that made the jump to head coach and totally flopped is beyond my ability to count. The most glaring example there is Dick LeBeau.  

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Moving on, vs the squealers, I hope the Browns score twice as many points as the scum from three rivers.

    What is impressive is the Browns' defense. They interviewed Schwartz, and he seems to be a huge breath of fresh air, he actually makes serious sense when he talks.

    He should be HC eventually.

    Did you forget once upon a time Schwartz WAS a head coach?   

    @nickers said:

    I would love to have him replace Kevvy... I still don't trust Kevvy when it counts

    NO, YOU DON'T.  Let me tell you why. Ya see, my brother in laws are huge Lions fans.... And their unanimous opinion is Schwartz sucked during his head coaching tenure in Detroit. It's certainly possible Jim has found his niche as a top Defensive Coordinator. The number of top OC's and DC's that made the jump to head coach and totally flopped is beyond my ability to count. The most glaring example there is Dick LeBeau.  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @hoorta said:

    Did you forget once upon a time Schwartz WAS a head coach?   

    NO, YOU DON'T.  Let me tell you why. Ya see, my brother in laws are huge Lions fans.... And their unanimous opinion is Schwartz sucked during his head coaching tenure in Detroit. It's certainly possible Jim has found his niche as a top Defensive Coordinator. The number of top OC's and DC's that made the jump to head coach and totally flopped is beyond my ability to count. The most glaring example there is Dick LeBeau.  

    Good analogy... But I never thought Schwartz was the problem in Detroit... But I agree with most of what ya said...

  • @hoorta said:

    Did you forget once upon a time Schwartz WAS a head coach?   

    NO, YOU DON'T.  Let me tell you why. Ya see, my brother in laws are huge Lions fans.... And their unanimous opinion is Schwartz sucked during his head coaching tenure in Detroit. It's certainly possible Jim has found his niche as a top Defensive Coordinator. The number of top OC's and DC's that made the jump to head coach and totally flopped is beyond my ability to count. The most glaring example there is Dick LeBeau.  

    Good analogy... But I never thought Schwartz was the problem in Detroit... But I agree with most of what ya said...

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @nickers said:

    Good analogy... But I never thought Schwartz was the problem in Detroit... But I agree with most of what ya said...

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

  • @flugel said:

    Even Jameis Winston threw for 5109 yards and 33 TDs while completing 60.7% of his passes when he had the top 2 WRs in the conference (Evans and Godwin) in 2019.  However, Jameis also threw 30 INTs that same season.  Having great WRs doesn't prevent QBs from being careless (ie; Josh Allen vrs the Jets).

    IMO, Baker has to prove he can be consistent in this league.  Sometimes he'll have a good game; and then the next opponent shows up well prepared to stop him. Maybe more experience will help that who knows?

    We've debated Baker's plusses and minuses ad nauseum, so there's NO need to rehash them again. We can just point out that Baker is now on his 4th team- that's what's called a "journeyman". Hey, Nick Foles won a Super Bowl, can Mayfield pull the same rabbit out of his hat? Personally, I doubt it. He is who he is, & marked improvement at this stage of his career is damn unlikely. And I certainly don't obsess about him. Yeah any QB with rudimentary NFL skills can look mighty good if he has all day to throw, and a couple of Pro Bowl caliber WRs to throw to. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @hoorta said:

    We've debated Baker's plusses and minuses ad nauseum, so there's NO need to rehash them again. We can just point out that Baker is now on his 4th team- that's what's called a "journeyman". Hey, Nick Foles won a Super Bowl, can Mayfield pull the same rabbit out of his hat? Personally, I doubt it. He is who he is, & marked improvement at this stage of his career is damn unlikely. And I certainly don't obsess about him. Yeah any QB with rudimentary NFL skills can look mighty good if he has all day to throw, and a couple of Pro Bowl caliber WRs to throw to. 

    Yeah, we already did move on. Good point.  Glad to see you back here talking football again Larry!  

  • @nickers said:

    Good analogy... But I never thought Schwartz was the problem in Detroit... But I agree with most of what ya said...

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    That is true.

    Interestingly enough, especially considering the amount of "he's a hardnosed coach who demands professionalism!" posts I've seen on here is how incredibly undisciplined those Lions teams were under him. They were one of the most penalized teams in the NFL, and if I recall had an ongoing problem with getting called for unsportsmanlike penalties. 

  • @nickers said:

    Good analogy... But I never thought Schwartz was the problem in Detroit... But I agree with most of what ya said...

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #23

    But theres just something about Kevvy... Where you know at some point he's gonna get cute and make that bone headed call and out think himself... I do NOT want to see that version of Kevvy this season...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Bubba Ventrone IMO would have a better chance of being named the Browns next head coach than Schwartz. 

    I could see Schwartz being named as the interim HC if Stefanski was hypothetically fired in-season, but long-term I think Ventrone would be more likely. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Schwartz inherited a turd salad sandwich and in two years took the Lions to the playoffs. 
     

    Hasn’t been an HC since 2013 maybe he’s comfortable without that responsibility and title.

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @flugel said:

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

    Not scared here on the WC.  if I’m 57 and doing well at what I do and I’m set do I really want a challenge into my 60s. After some of his past gigs do we really want to assume he hasn’t had opportunities? 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

  • My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @gumby73 said:

    My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    The sad part for me is Brandon Staley's parents are my neighbors and they're super nice people.. I hope the guy gets his stuff figured out and makes it...

  • @flugel said:

    Not to scare you - but you and I have the same thinking about that part in bold.  I said something similar in my reply to Nicks.  

    Not scared here on the WC.  if I’m 57 and doing well at what I do and I’m set do I really want a challenge into my 60s. After some of his past gigs do we really want to assume he hasn’t had opportunities? 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Not scared here on the WC.  if I’m 57 and doing well at what I do and I’m set do I really want a challenge into my 60s. After some of his past gigs do we really want to assume he hasn’t had opportunities? 

    ?  I didn't think you were.  You sum it all up real well.  That was some fun defense to watch.  I cringe when I hear people wanting the Browns to hurry up and fire Stefanski so they can make Schwartz a Head Coach instead of keeping him in his expertise.  That doesn't mean I like Stefanski's play calling or even his passing game all the time.

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

  • Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

  • My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @gumby73 said:

    My fear is a team, such as the Chargers, (who's defense blows weekly/ with talent) under Brandon (boneheaded) Staley.. Should/could fire B. Staley ?

    To hire a DC such as Jim Schwartz or Dan Quinn as their next head coach.. 

    I've got more confidence with Stef coaching style, over watching Brandon Staley weekly ?

    & dem Charges lose again this afternoon.  🙁  

  • Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    @nickers said:

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

    From NFL.com....  

    "Blessed with good blocking against a limp pass rush, Mayfield torched the Bears' secondary, finding chunk gains easily. Evans made a host of big plays, including a 70-yard catch and run and a 32-yard TD. Mayfield went 26-of-34 passing for 317 yards and a score without taking a sack. The Bucs offense moved the ball at will between the 20s, racking up 437 total yards -- including 103 scrimmage yards and a TD from running back Rachaad White. The blowout would have ensued earlier had it not been for red zone issues (1 of 4). Sunday was a reminder that with weapons at his disposal in Tampa Bay, Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

  • @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    @nickers said:

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

    From NFL.com....  

    "Blessed with good blocking against a limp pass rush, Mayfield torched the Bears' secondary, finding chunk gains easily. Evans made a host of big plays, including a 70-yard catch and run and a 32-yard TD. Mayfield went 26-of-34 passing for 317 yards and a score without taking a sack. The Bucs offense moved the ball at will between the 20s, racking up 437 total yards -- including 103 scrimmage yards and a TD from running back Rachaad White. The blowout would have ensued earlier had it not been for red zone issues (1 of 4). Sunday was a reminder that with weapons at his disposal in Tampa Bay, Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #33

    @hoorta said:

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    And that game should have been worse. Closer to 30-17.   Bucs weren't great in the Redzone against Minny, but I figured it was because of the Vikings D-front being decent.  Turns out, they're just not showing up as an efficient redzone rushing offense so far.  That will absolutely be a liability moving forward.  

    dollar-bill.gif

  • @kvoethe said:

    Baker kicked ass again today!!!

    Anyone take tia's advice to bet the Bucs? Guess Da Bears really do suck bad.   

    @nickers said:

    Yup and Mr.Peepee still looks pedestrian

    From NFL.com....  

    "Blessed with good blocking against a limp pass rush, Mayfield torched the Bears' secondary, finding chunk gains easily. Evans made a host of big plays, including a 70-yard catch and run and a 32-yard TD. Mayfield went 26-of-34 passing for 317 yards and a score without taking a sack. The Bucs offense moved the ball at will between the 20s, racking up 437 total yards -- including 103 scrimmage yards and a TD from running back Rachaad White. The blowout would have ensued earlier had it not been for red zone issues (1 of 4). Sunday was a reminder that with weapons at his disposal in Tampa Bay, Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @hoorta said:

    Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by pressure."

    Eagles/ Saints/ Lions on deck   

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #35

    "Mayfield can still make plays when his head isn't scrambled by wr's getting open" lol

    Meanwhile: (bears' oline is rated #21) (Browns oline rated #2)

    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason

    14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Down 5)

    Projected Starting Lineup

    LT Tristan Wirfs – Played RT in 2022
    LG Matt Feiler
    C Ryan Jensen
    RG Cody Mauch – Rookie
    RT Luke Goedeke

    • The Bucs are taking a gamble that arguably the best right tackle in football will transfer that play to the left side, where he played in college. Wirfs is early enough into his career that he should be fine, but it’s certainly a risk.
    • Tampa Bay’s line will now have to ply its trade without Tom Brady and the fastest average time to throw in the NFL making life easier.
    Best Player: Tristan Wirfs
    • Tristan Wirfs allowed just five total pressures all season and has three straight years of elite play at right tackle.