Browns Sign Joe Flacco to Practice Squad
-
Please don't mistake my complete lack of belief in DTR as starter at this point in time, for over-enthusiasm for Flacco. If 57% is paltry and 5.5 YPA is miniscule, what do you call the 42.4 and 3.7 DTR has mustered, along with 2 Interceptions per game? You might be better off not fielding a QB and just rushing each down. Heck, against Denver's D, that might actually be viable!
To be honest, I am secretly still hoping that Berry will literally be begging Brady each week, sending him messages like:
I guess my thinking is this regarding DTR vs Flacco.
DTR was making his second NFL start in his rookie season. I hope his paltry numbers can continue to improve.
Flacco's poor numbers were in a big sample size that indicates that's where he's regressed to.
But I have no problem going to Flacco if it seems in two weeks that this is too much for DTR. If he's just stuck in neutral, or dog forbid regresses, bring in the vet.
I guess my thinking is this regarding DTR vs Flacco.
DTR was making his second NFL start in his rookie season. I hope his paltry numbers can continue to improve.
Flacco's poor numbers were in a big sample size that indicates that's where he's regressed to.
But I have no problem going to Flacco if it seems in two weeks that this is too much for DTR. If he's just stuck in neutral, or dog forbid regresses, bring in the vet.
Well said! I understand concerns with DTR's lack of experience and the conservative play calling in the passing game because of that; AND going with 2 backup tackles protecting both edges in a rivalry rematch (vrs a Steelers edge rush that scored 2 TDs against the Browns in week 2). Former DB and commentator Charles Davis did our game was repeatedly questioning throwing the ball under 10 yards to outmanned/well covered Receivers. Njoku dropping multiple passes only made matters worse until he finally focused. All that congestion in the box and concern about Watt and Highsmith facing backups - wasn't an easy outing no matter who was going to play QB that game.
I have to guess both Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers are much better QBs than the Jets Offensive Line allowed them to be. If the Browns can get Dawand Jones back healthy enough for fulltime duty, things should get better. I think we'll see some deeper throws this week; but that means we need more WRs than just Amari Cooper consistently winning their matchups. Not impossible by any means this week as long as the Browns stay focused and don't get careless...
-
Please don't mistake my complete lack of belief in DTR as starter at this point in time, for over-enthusiasm for Flacco. If 57% is paltry and 5.5 YPA is miniscule, what do you call the 42.4 and 3.7 DTR has mustered, along with 2 Interceptions per game? You might be better off not fielding a QB and just rushing each down. Heck, against Denver's D, that might actually be viable!
To be honest, I am secretly still hoping that Berry will literally be begging Brady each week, sending him messages like:
I guess my thinking is this regarding DTR vs Flacco.
DTR was making his second NFL start in his rookie season. I hope his paltry numbers can continue to improve.
Flacco's poor numbers were in a big sample size that indicates that's where he's regressed to.
But I have no problem going to Flacco if it seems in two weeks that this is too much for DTR. If he's just stuck in neutral, or dog forbid regresses, bring in the vet.
I guess my thinking is this regarding DTR vs Flacco.
DTR was making his second NFL start in his rookie season. I hope his paltry numbers can continue to improve.
Flacco's poor numbers were in a big sample size that indicates that's where he's regressed to.
But I have no problem going to Flacco if it seems in two weeks that this is too much for DTR. If he's just stuck in neutral, or dog forbid regresses, bring in the vet.
I am just hearing a lot of 'hopium' about DTR. Like I pointed out, his current stats are a lot worse than Flacco's from last season.
If we are going to speculate, I don't see DTR's stats making up jump to Flacco's level soon. He has shown lack control over his canon arm strength, threw passes high and behind, and put way too much on short passes to the flats. That takes seasons to fix, not weeks. And in the first shot of him after the Pittsburgh game, he was clearly hyperventilating. Understandable given his inexperience, but also something that needs time. Time we don't have if we want to reach the play-offs.
In contrast, I do see potential for Flacco's stats improving, because we have a better O-line than the Jets (with the caveat that Dawand get and stays healthy, like @flugel mentioned). To me, the only questions are rust and playbook. If Flacco shakes off any rust, and gets familiar with our playbook (possibly tailored slightly more to him), choosing of Flacco over DTR to win us games this year seems self-evident.
-
I guess my thinking is this regarding DTR vs Flacco.
DTR was making his second NFL start in his rookie season. I hope his paltry numbers can continue to improve.
Flacco's poor numbers were in a big sample size that indicates that's where he's regressed to.
But I have no problem going to Flacco if it seems in two weeks that this is too much for DTR. If he's just stuck in neutral, or dog forbid regresses, bring in the vet.
I am just hearing a lot of 'hopium' about DTR. Like I pointed out, his current stats are a lot worse than Flacco's from last season.
If we are going to speculate, I don't see DTR's stats making up jump to Flacco's level soon. He has shown lack control over his canon arm strength, threw passes high and behind, and put way too much on short passes to the flats. That takes seasons to fix, not weeks. And in the first shot of him after the Pittsburgh game, he was clearly hyperventilating. Understandable given his inexperience, but also something that needs time. Time we don't have if we want to reach the play-offs.
In contrast, I do see potential for Flacco's stats improving, because we have a better O-line than the Jets (with the caveat that Dawand get and stays healthy, like @flugel mentioned). To me, the only questions are rust and playbook. If Flacco shakes off any rust, and gets familiar with our playbook (possibly tailored slightly more to him), choosing of Flacco over DTR to win us games this year seems self-evident.
To me, the only questions are rust and playbook. If Flacco shakes off any rust, and gets familiar with our playbook (possibly tailored slightly more to him), choosing of Flacco over DTR to win us games this year seems self-evident.
Get JF familiar with WR/TE speed/ depth of routes in playbook.. (not easy with DTR getting most the starting reps)
You'd think Stef would be wise to get Flacco running parts of Brissette's playbook ? (Our two new tackles and few, would need time to learn it)
These are a huge pair of road games for DTR... (rookie QB starting on a 50 man playoff teams roster? tons of pressure..
Adding Flacco feels a hell of a lot better as a QB safety net option, than where we were at weeks ago..
-
I guess my thinking is this regarding DTR vs Flacco.
DTR was making his second NFL start in his rookie season. I hope his paltry numbers can continue to improve.
Flacco's poor numbers were in a big sample size that indicates that's where he's regressed to.
But I have no problem going to Flacco if it seems in two weeks that this is too much for DTR. If he's just stuck in neutral, or dog forbid regresses, bring in the vet.
I am just hearing a lot of 'hopium' about DTR. Like I pointed out, his current stats are a lot worse than Flacco's from last season.
If we are going to speculate, I don't see DTR's stats making up jump to Flacco's level soon. He has shown lack control over his canon arm strength, threw passes high and behind, and put way too much on short passes to the flats. That takes seasons to fix, not weeks. And in the first shot of him after the Pittsburgh game, he was clearly hyperventilating. Understandable given his inexperience, but also something that needs time. Time we don't have if we want to reach the play-offs.
In contrast, I do see potential for Flacco's stats improving, because we have a better O-line than the Jets (with the caveat that Dawand get and stays healthy, like @flugel mentioned). To me, the only questions are rust and playbook. If Flacco shakes off any rust, and gets familiar with our playbook (possibly tailored slightly more to him), choosing of Flacco over DTR to win us games this year seems self-evident.
I am just hearing a lot of 'hopium' about DTR. Like I pointed out, his current stats are a lot worse than Flacco's from last season.
If we are going to speculate, I don't see DTR's stats making up jump to Flacco's level soon. He has shown lack control over his canon arm strength, threw passes high and behind, and put way too much on short passes to the flats. That takes seasons to fix, not weeks. And in the first shot of him after the Pittsburgh game, he was clearly hyperventilating. Understandable given his inexperience, but also something that needs time. Time we don't have if we want to reach the play-offs.
In contrast, I do see potential for Flacco's stats improving, because we have a better O-line than the Jets (with the caveat that Dawand get and stays healthy, like @flugel mentioned). To me, the only questions are rust and playbook. If Flacco shakes off any rust, and gets familiar with our playbook (possibly tailored slightly more to him), choosing of Flacco over DTR to win us games this year seems self-evident.
Some good points KD. Here's the thing, when the game was on the line at the end; and there was no margin of error remaining - DTR made the throws and moved the chains punctuated by a game winning field goal.
Before Brian Sipe became what he became - he'd fill in and produced games where the only memories he left us were his game winning drives at the end. When this became his team, even the times he'd play 58 minutes of "not your best day Brian" he'd make us forget all that when he'd be flawless when there was no margin of error left.
DTR is a 5th round pick that wasn't supposed to be starting games this early on. Even Brady the GOAT, didn't start as a rookie that only played in 1 game going 1 for 3 passing for 6 yards 0 TDs as a 6th round pick. That being the case, he wasn't told on game day against a Ratbird Defense leading the NFL in sacks - "Guess what? Despite no practice reps with the 1st Offense and the game plan this week - we gotta start ya kid!" On top of that - we were missing the 1st and 2nd string RT while Wills played hurt. Gee, what could go wrong?
If DTR does play this week, he's got some degree of momentum and confidence building from that final drive. The matchups on both edges, shouldn't be nearly as scary as last week. I like DTR way better PJ constantly throwing across his body (which means he's late on the throw) into traffic. He just never learned and continued to repeat that ad-nauseum. I had to drink beer watching that guy; and it's not like I can afford to get any dumber than I already am.
-
I am just hearing a lot of 'hopium' about DTR. Like I pointed out, his current stats are a lot worse than Flacco's from last season.
If we are going to speculate, I don't see DTR's stats making up jump to Flacco's level soon. He has shown lack control over his canon arm strength, threw passes high and behind, and put way too much on short passes to the flats. That takes seasons to fix, not weeks. And in the first shot of him after the Pittsburgh game, he was clearly hyperventilating. Understandable given his inexperience, but also something that needs time. Time we don't have if we want to reach the play-offs.
In contrast, I do see potential for Flacco's stats improving, because we have a better O-line than the Jets (with the caveat that Dawand get and stays healthy, like @flugel mentioned). To me, the only questions are rust and playbook. If Flacco shakes off any rust, and gets familiar with our playbook (possibly tailored slightly more to him), choosing of Flacco over DTR to win us games this year seems self-evident.
Some good points KD. Here's the thing, when the game was on the line at the end; and there was no margin of error remaining - DTR made the throws and moved the chains punctuated by a game winning field goal.
Before Brian Sipe became what he became - he'd fill in and produced games where the only memories he left us were his game winning drives at the end. When this became his team, even the times he'd play 58 minutes of "not your best day Brian" he'd make us forget all that when he'd be flawless when there was no margin of error left.
DTR is a 5th round pick that wasn't supposed to be starting games this early on. Even Brady the GOAT, didn't start as a rookie that only played in 1 game going 1 for 3 passing for 6 yards 0 TDs as a 6th round pick. That being the case, he wasn't told on game day against a Ratbird Defense leading the NFL in sacks - "Guess what? Despite no practice reps with the 1st Offense and the game plan this week - we gotta start ya kid!" On top of that - we were missing the 1st and 2nd string RT while Wills played hurt. Gee, what could go wrong?
If DTR does play this week, he's got some degree of momentum and confidence building from that final drive. The matchups on both edges, shouldn't be nearly as scary as last week. I like DTR way better PJ constantly throwing across his body (which means he's late on the throw) into traffic. He just never learned and continued to repeat that ad-nauseum. I had to drink beer watching that guy; and it's not like I can afford to get any dumber than I already am.
Some good points KD. Here's the thing, when the game was on the line at the end; and there was no margin of error remaining - DTR made the throws and moved the chains punctuated by a game winning field goal.
Before Brian Sipe became what he became - he'd fill in and produced games where the only memories he left us were his game winning drives at the end. When this became his team, even the times he'd play 58 minutes of "not your best day Brian" he'd make us forget all that when he'd be flawless when there was no margin of error left.
DTR is a 5th round pick that wasn't supposed to be starting games this early on. Even Brady the GOAT, didn't start as a rookie that only played in 1 game going 1 for 3 passing for 6 yards 0 TDs as a 6th round pick. That being the case, he wasn't told on game day against a Ratbird Defense leading the NFL in sacks - "Guess what? Despite no practice reps with the 1st Offense and the game plan this week - we gotta start ya kid!" On top of that - we were missing the 1st and 2nd string RT while Wills played hurt. Gee, what could go wrong?
If DTR does play this week, he's got some degree of momentum and confidence building from that final drive. The matchups on both edges, shouldn't be nearly as scary as last week. I like DTR way better PJ constantly throwing across his body (which means he's late on the throw) into traffic. He just never learned and continued to repeat that ad-nauseum. I had to drink beer watching that guy; and it's not like I can afford to get any dumber than I already am.
And truthfully the coaching staff did not open up the middle distance passing game until the end when they had to do so. He was limited to short game which played right into the hands of a stacked D, thus hurting the run game as well. The back 7 did not have to cover long to middle distance throws, so there they were killing the whole offensive scheme.
-
And some hope at RT where he really belongs:
-
Browns dont activate Joe Flacco. Its DTR & PJ Walker at QB v Broncos.
-
The YouTube clip @neo posted is only from one year ago like he said, and Joe accurately carved up our secondary like a friggin Thanksgiving turkey!
Once again, in almost 200 attempts last season, Flacco completed passes at a paltry 57% rate for a miniscule 5.5 yards per attempt.
Basing your enthusiasm over one game vs a Joe Woods lead Browns defense that at the beginning of the season was blowing one pass defense assignment after another is possibly a little optimistic.
That being said, there has to be definite progress in DTR in the coming weeks, or a move to Flacco has to be made. We can't depend on the defense to be great every week.
Once again, in almost 200 attempts last season, Flacco completed passes at a paltry 57% rate for a miniscule 5.5 yards per attempt.
Basing your enthusiasm over one game vs a Joe Woods lead Browns defense that at the beginning of the season was blowing one pass defense assignment after another is possibly a little optimistic.
That being said, there has to be definite progress in DTR in the coming weeks, or a move to Flacco has to be made. We can't depend on the defense to be great every week.
I don't think anyone expects Flacco to start when they signed him. The plan would be to keep him on the practice sqaud as long as possible so he can learn the offense. It's going to be DTR unless he can't go or COMPLETELY shits the bed which I don't expect given his progress from the Baltimore game. Then it will be PJ Walker, then if need be Flacco. If we do make a playoff run, we will need that experience to have any kind of chance.
The video I posted wasn't about hyping Flacco but more to show that he can still lead and make throws. I can sleep easier knowing he's around if it comes to that.
-
Browns dont activate Joe Flacco. Its DTR & PJ Walker at QB v Broncos.Browns dont activate Joe Flacco. Its DTR & PJ Walker at QB v Broncos.
Smart move. I don't it would be a great idea elevating him until they feel like he has a good grasp of things. No need to rush things.
-
Once again, in almost 200 attempts last season, Flacco completed passes at a paltry 57% rate for a miniscule 5.5 yards per attempt.
Basing your enthusiasm over one game vs a Joe Woods lead Browns defense that at the beginning of the season was blowing one pass defense assignment after another is possibly a little optimistic.
That being said, there has to be definite progress in DTR in the coming weeks, or a move to Flacco has to be made. We can't depend on the defense to be great every week.
I don't think anyone expects Flacco to start when they signed him. The plan would be to keep him on the practice sqaud as long as possible so he can learn the offense. It's going to be DTR unless he can't go or COMPLETELY shits the bed which I don't expect given his progress from the Baltimore game. Then it will be PJ Walker, then if need be Flacco. If we do make a playoff run, we will need that experience to have any kind of chance.
The video I posted wasn't about hyping Flacco but more to show that he can still lead and make throws. I can sleep easier knowing he's around if it comes to that.
If we do make a playoff run
oh were going to the fucking playoff's may even win a game. But you know what will have you sleeping well ? well let me tell ya. on offense Watson and Chubb will be back . on defense everyone is locked up except Delphit(contract year) and Z Smith (only signed a one year deal) and of course are coaching staff. will = A Super Bowl Run. so ya you should have sweet dreams for over a year
-
Browns dont activate Joe Flacco. Its DTR & PJ Walker at QB v Broncos.
-
Browns dont activate Joe Flacco. Its DTR & PJ Walker at QB v Broncos.
Smart move. I don't it would be a great idea elevating him until they feel like he has a good grasp of things. No need to rush things.
-
If we do make a playoff run
oh were going to the fucking playoff's may even win a game. But you know what will have you sleeping well ? well let me tell ya. on offense Watson and Chubb will be back . on defense everyone is locked up except Delphit(contract year) and Z Smith (only signed a one year deal) and of course are coaching staff. will = A Super Bowl Run. so ya you should have sweet dreams for over a year
oh were going to the fucking playoff's may even win a game. But you know what will have you sleeping well ? well let me tell ya. on offense Watson and Chubb will be back . on defense everyone is locked up except Delphit(contract year) and Z Smith (only signed a one year deal) and of course are coaching staff. will = A Super Bowl Run. so ya you should have sweet dreams for over a year
Just another thought, this team has fully bought in. You can tell by their play and the kind of games that we have won. This is starting to feel like a move that will keep them believing if we continue to have adversity at QB. A Super Bowl MVP that can step in and lead and make plays. They need to do everything they can to get Flacco up to speed and keep DTR in as long as possible.
-
oh were going to the fucking playoff's may even win a game. But you know what will have you sleeping well ? well let me tell ya. on offense Watson and Chubb will be back . on defense everyone is locked up except Delphit(contract year) and Z Smith (only signed a one year deal) and of course are coaching staff. will = A Super Bowl Run. so ya you should have sweet dreams for over a year
Just another thought, this team has fully bought in. You can tell by their play and the kind of games that we have won. This is starting to feel like a move that will keep them believing if we continue to have adversity at QB. A Super Bowl MVP that can step in and lead and make plays. They need to do everything they can to get Flacco up to speed and keep DTR in as long as possible.
Just another thought, this team has fully bought in. You can tell by their play and the kind of games that we have won. This is starting to feel like a move that will keep them believing if we continue to have adversity at QB. A Super Bowl MVP that can step in and lead and make plays. They need to do everything they can to get Flacco up to speed and keep DTR in as long as possible.
Fuck It then. super bowl this year and next year and fuck tom brady
-
-
-
To me, the only questions are rust and playbook. If Flacco shakes off any rust, and gets familiar with our playbook (possibly tailored slightly more to him), choosing of Flacco over DTR to win us games this year seems self-evident.
Get JF familiar with WR/TE speed/ depth of routes in playbook.. (not easy with DTR getting most the starting reps)
You'd think Stef would be wise to get Flacco running parts of Brissette's playbook ? (Our two new tackles and few, would need time to learn it)
These are a huge pair of road games for DTR... (rookie QB starting on a 50 man playoff teams roster? tons of pressure..
Adding Flacco feels a hell of a lot better as a QB safety net option, than where we were at weeks ago..
Get JF familiar with WR/TE speed/ depth of routes in playbook.. (not easy with DTR getting most the starting reps)
You'd think Stef would be wise to get Flacco running parts of Brissette's playbook ? (Our two new tackles and few, would need time to learn it)
These are a huge pair of road games for DTR... (rookie QB starting on a 50 man playoff teams roster? tons of pressure..
Adding Flacco feels a hell of a lot better as a QB safety net option, than where we were at weeks ago..
Completely agree that the playbook will have to be customized for Flacco, who is a lot less mobile than Watson or DTR.
Probably also explains why he hasn't been activated yet, because that will take time. Fully expect him to become the starter at some point in the season though, for reasons mentioned in my previous comments.
-
It's kind of a bummer DTR got hurt. I didn't think he was the real reason behind our struggles today. He wasn't GREAT, but I thought he was progressing. Get Ready Joe, you won't have long to throw and you can't move.
-
It's kind of a bummer DTR got hurt. I didn't think he was the real reason behind our struggles today. He wasn't GREAT, but I thought he was progressing. Get Ready Joe, you won't have long to throw and you can't move.
It's kind of a bummer DTR got hurt. I didn't think he was the real reason behind our struggles today. He wasn't GREAT, but I thought he was progressing. Get Ready Joe, you won't have long to throw and you can't move.
I think Joe has never had an issue getting rid of it quickly, his problem is more of getting it delivered accurately. Except in the playoffs where he became Tom Brady and got a fat contract
-
It's kind of a bummer DTR got hurt. I didn't think he was the real reason behind our struggles today. He wasn't GREAT, but I thought he was progressing. Get Ready Joe, you won't have long to throw and you can't move.
It's kind of a bummer DTR got hurt. I didn't think he was the real reason behind our struggles today. He wasn't GREAT, but I thought he was progressing. Get Ready Joe, you won't have long to throw and you can't move.
And your receivers will keep dropping balls.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

