Skip to content

● Official ?  - NFL WEEK 12 - CLE 12 -at- DEN 29 ● What a letdown ● Nov. 26.  "L"

The Browns Board
368 31 9.6k 1
  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward

    The browns easily get 3 more wins and a playoff berth still, imo. Too early for doom and gloom. 
     

    PJ Walker should never be activated on game day ever again, unless he joins the Steelers or ravens.

    Flacco and DTR are both capable of getting wins. DTR brings more mobility, Flacco brings better decision making (likes to chuck it deep and draw pass interferences, and check down to RBs …a lot)

    I have a hard time imagining we don’t come away with 1 win between the Rams, Jags, and Texans . Obviously we prefer the wins against the afc teams.

    An even harder time imagining we don’t go 3-0 vs bears, jets, and bengals.

    Bengals divisional game, but stefanski absolutely owns them and week 18 in Cincy will essentially be another home game

  • A AP1

    @bob806 said:

    Yep. Damnit.

    I don't want to be doom & gloom but all the good vibes are slipping away....

    The fat lady has not yet sung, it may feel like she's warming up, so I don't want to be fatalistic and speak in platitudes. 

    If I'm an owner, in this specific situation, I'm having a meeting with the chain of command informing them they are expected to have maximum contingencies for such a situation and that the current state shows no such contingency was considered. This does not fall on the players that did not show up to play. This does not fall on the coaches that looked unprepared and were outcoached.

    This falls squarely on the personnel decision makers, be it DePodesta, be it Berry. I'm not sure about the accountability of the command structure, but someone needs an ass chewing, a good solid ass chewing with passion, emotion and some fists slammed on the desk, and, as a result, someone's leash needs to be a little shorter.

    I don't want to blow it up. I don't want people fired. I don't want to start all over. I want to finish as strong as possible, because that's what champions do, and I want every shortcoming assessed, analyzed and remediated and I want everyone from the Owner's Box to the guy that cleans the bathrooms to understand and acknowledge how good it felt to be 7-3, and winning games thought unwinnable. I want everyone to be on the same page and buy in and I want the 2024 Browns to do what everyone thought the 1995 Browns would do - WIN THE SUPER BOWL.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @ap1 said:

    The fat lady has not yet sung, it may feel like she's warming up, so I don't want to be fatalistic and speak in platitudes. 

    If I'm an owner, in this specific situation, I'm having a meeting with the chain of command informing them they are expected to have maximum contingencies for such a situation and that the current state shows no such contingency was considered. This does not fall on the players that did not show up to play. This does not fall on the coaches that looked unprepared and were outcoached.

    This falls squarely on the personnel decision makers, be it DePodesta, be it Berry. I'm not sure about the accountability of the command structure, but someone needs an ass chewing, a good solid ass chewing with passion, emotion and some fists slammed on the desk, and, as a result, someone's leash needs to be a little shorter.

    I don't want to blow it up. I don't want people fired. I don't want to start all over. I want to finish as strong as possible, because that's what champions do, and I want every shortcoming assessed, analyzed and remediated and I want everyone from the Owner's Box to the guy that cleans the bathrooms to understand and acknowledge how good it felt to be 7-3, and winning games thought unwinnable. I want everyone to be on the same page and buy in and I want the 2024 Browns to do what everyone thought the 1995 Browns would do - WIN THE SUPER BOWL.

    Agree 100%

    If anybody takes a fall it's DePodesta. But ultimately it's truly on Haslam, & while I'm not a fan of Jimmy, he's not bowing out.

    Go Browns

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    I know this is gonna sound asinine but I really get the sense that Depodesta has his finger on some of the play calling from the booth.. Why I say this is because I get the sense he thinks this team is a live version of fantasy Madden play calling with him.... Like the trickery we tried yesterday just seems so out of flow... I just keep getting this vision of Depodesta sitting there with a Coke in one hand and a XBOX controller in the other.. Yeah sounds ridiculous.. But then I remember Ray Farmer....

  • @dutch-oven said:

    But Flacco coming in to start almost seems like a given, unless they want to roll with Walker vs the Rams and give Flacco one more week to get up to speed?

    We have to come back from the west coast 8-4.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    We have to come back from the west coast 8-4.

    Yeah, another game we have to have. The division is out of reach, so we at least have to keep pace with the Steelers. They have winnable games the rest of the way out until they play the Ravens last game. 

    We have the Jags and Texans, pushovers no longer.  

  • @bbedward said:

    Yea Denver is legit, especially their pass defense. I probably wouldn’t have cooked a game plan that called for 40+ passes and so many stupid trick plays, but what do I know I’m not a coach.

    The best thing we can all do is put this stinker behind us and hope the Browns learned from it.  Our defense didn't look the same without Denzel Ward at the back end. We have to hope he can play - especially this week.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    The best thing we can all do is put this stinker behind us and hope the Browns learned from it.  Our defense didn't look the same without Denzel Ward at the back end. We have to hope he can play - especially this week.

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today. I'd get my bet in now taking LA and giving away 4.5 points. If that MRI result is bad, that spread will double IMO.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    294 yards can’t translate to 29 points.

    Too many Short fields and turnovers or special teams blunders.  Two of these were really bad yesterday. 

    If we are going to win with what I believe is the worst or one of the worst QB situations in the AFC- we have to play field position, limit turnovers and we have to play special teams well covering kicks. 
     

  • I know this is gonna sound asinine but I really get the sense that Depodesta has his finger on some of the play calling from the booth.. Why I say this is because I get the sense he thinks this team is a live version of fantasy Madden play calling with him.... Like the trickery we tried yesterday just seems so out of flow... I just keep getting this vision of Depodesta sitting there with a Coke in one hand and a XBOX controller in the other.. Yeah sounds ridiculous.. But then I remember Ray Farmer....

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    I know this is gonna sound asinine but I really get the sense that Depodesta has his finger on some of the play calling from the booth.. Why I say this is because I get the sense he thinks this team is a live version of fantasy Madden play calling with him.... Like the trickery we tried yesterday just seems so out of flow... I just keep getting this vision of Depodesta sitting there with a Coke in one hand and a XBOX controller in the other.. Yeah sounds ridiculous.. But then I remember Ray Farmer....

    It does sound asinine, but they did trade a 2nd rounder (?) for Elijah Moore. While sometimes you have to take risks as a team on moves like that, trying to turn him into Deebo Samuel or Antoine Randall El just isn't working. 

    Man, the emotional rollercoaster with our Browns.......

  • 294 yards can’t translate to 29 points.

    Too many Short fields and turnovers or special teams blunders.  Two of these were really bad yesterday. 

    If we are going to win with what I believe is the worst or one of the worst QB situations in the AFC- we have to play field position, limit turnovers and we have to play special teams well covering kicks. 
     

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    294 yards can’t translate to 29 points.

    Too many Short fields and turnovers or special teams blunders.  Two of these were really bad yesterday. 

    If we are going to win with what I believe is the worst or one of the worst QB situations in the AFC- we have to play field position, limit turnovers and we have to play special teams well covering kicks. 
     

    Yep- despite the 3rd string dude in again, it was absolutely a game (and should have been tied) until the Moore fumble that was completely self- inflicted. Zero percent chance of winning games with this squad with that type of mistake.

    I was actually at a wedding so didn't watch this game, but to be honest this one "is what it is". I know a lot of people had this as a "must win" a month ago, but the Broncos are arguably the hottest team in the NFL and Denver is a notoriously tough spot to visit, let alone with a rookie QB. Still got multiple winnable games on the schedule (Rams, Bears, Jets, and Bengals) that making the postseason is still right in front of the team.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    294 yards can’t translate to 29 points.

    Too many Short fields and turnovers or special teams blunders.  Two of these were really bad yesterday. 

    If we are going to win with what I believe is the worst or one of the worst QB situations in the AFC- we have to play field position, limit turnovers and we have to play special teams well covering kicks. 
     

    Yep- despite the 3rd string dude in again, it was absolutely a game (and should have been tied) until the Moore fumble that was completely self- inflicted. Zero percent chance of winning games with this squad with that type of mistake.

    I was actually at a wedding so didn't watch this game, but to be honest this one "is what it is". I know a lot of people had this as a "must win" a month ago, but the Broncos are arguably the hottest team in the NFL and Denver is a notoriously tough spot to visit, let alone with a rookie QB. Still got multiple winnable games on the schedule (Rams, Bears, Jets, and Bengals) that making the postseason is still right in front of the team.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by

    @jrb12711 said:

    Yep- despite the 3rd string dude in again, it was absolutely a game (and should have been tied) until the Moore fumble that was completely self- inflicted. Zero percent chance of winning games with this squad with that type of mistake.

    I was actually at a wedding so didn't watch this game, but to be honest this one "is what it is". I know a lot of people had this as a "must win" a month ago, but the Broncos are arguably the hottest team in the NFL and Denver is a notoriously tough spot to visit, let alone with a rookie QB. Still got multiple winnable games on the schedule (Rams, Bears, Jets, and Bengals) that making the postseason is still right in front of the team.

    Not a must win, maybe if we dropped one against the ravens or Steelers the last couple weeks it would have been more of a must win. Frankly nothing is a must win yet, the browns are still a playoff team as of today.

    I have a really hard time seeing us drop the bears, jets, and bungles. One more against the jags, Texans, or rams and we’re in the playoffs. Might even be at 3-3

    No idea why Flacco wasn’t on the active roster, PJ Walker is a death sentence for any victory. Normally people are sarcastic when they say some rando on the street could do better, but I mean I think some rando on the street could also manage multiple fumbles, safety, and picks like Walker does.

    If you’re gonna put the ball in DTRs hands 30 times in 3 quarters and give him designed running plays against the bounty hunting broncos, then you better not have pj fucking walker as his replacement. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Yep- despite the 3rd string dude in again, it was absolutely a game (and should have been tied) until the Moore fumble that was completely self- inflicted. Zero percent chance of winning games with this squad with that type of mistake.

    I was actually at a wedding so didn't watch this game, but to be honest this one "is what it is". I know a lot of people had this as a "must win" a month ago, but the Broncos are arguably the hottest team in the NFL and Denver is a notoriously tough spot to visit, let alone with a rookie QB. Still got multiple winnable games on the schedule (Rams, Bears, Jets, and Bengals) that making the postseason is still right in front of the team.

    Not a must win, maybe if we dropped one against the ravens or Steelers the last couple weeks it would have been more of a must win. Frankly nothing is a must win yet, the browns are still a playoff team as of today.

    I have a really hard time seeing us drop the bears, jets, and bungles. One more against the jags, Texans, or rams and we’re in the playoffs. Might even be at 3-3

    No idea why Flacco wasn’t on the active roster, PJ Walker is a death sentence for any victory. Normally people are sarcastic when they say some rando on the street could do better, but I mean I think some rando on the street could also manage multiple fumbles, safety, and picks like Walker does.

    If you’re gonna put the ball in DTRs hands 30 times in 3 quarters and give him designed running plays against the bounty hunting broncos, then you better not have pj fucking walker as his replacement. 

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by

    @bbedward said:

    Not a must win, maybe if we dropped one against the ravens or Steelers the last couple weeks it would have been more of a must win. Frankly nothing is a must win yet, the browns are still a playoff team as of today.

    I have a really hard time seeing us drop the bears, jets, and bungles. One more against the jags, Texans, or rams and we’re in the playoffs. Might even be at 3-3

    No idea why Flacco wasn’t on the active roster, PJ Walker is a death sentence for any victory. Normally people are sarcastic when they say some rando on the street could do better, but I mean I think some rando on the street could also manage multiple fumbles, safety, and picks like Walker does.

    If you’re gonna put the ball in DTRs hands 30 times in 3 quarters and give him designed running plays against the bounty hunting broncos, then you better not have pj fucking walker as his replacement. 

    It's absolutely wild they won a single game with him as a QB. To be honest, watching some with the Panthers I thought it was a definitely "could be worse" 3rd string QB situation. But man- this dude should not even sniff the league. I don't think I've ever seen a guy with less pocket awareness than PJ, it's insane how blitzes just blow that man up.

    It's all about lessons learned, and this FO I'm confident understands now that the backup situation can't be trusted to later round drafted rookie and (insert) random dud journeyman. Really sucks to think that Dobbs or Brissett (a longer shot, but I'm guessing would have re-signed with a lucrative deal) were right there. I've always understood the thought process- DTR balled out in the preseason and there's a very, very strong chance if we didn't commit to him on 53 man roster he would have not be a Brown. But the biggest hindsight was letting Dobbs walk.

  • N Neo wrote on last edited by

    In regards to DTR, he has made significant strides between his starts. His effort against the Broncos was a good one maybe even a winning effort if it wasn't for the injury. It was a 5 point game when he left, still within striking distance. He had two TD's dropped. But people are critisizing DTR. Some stupid people floating around this board....

  • @flugel said:

    The best thing we can all do is put this stinker behind us and hope the Browns learned from it.  Our defense didn't look the same without Denzel Ward at the back end. We have to hope he can play - especially this week.

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today. I'd get my bet in now taking LA and giving away 4.5 points. If that MRI result is bad, that spread will double IMO.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today. I'd get my bet in now taking LA and giving away 4.5 points. If that MRI result is bad, that spread will double IMO.

    It's sounds like we'd only be missing Garrett, Chubb, Watson, Conklin, Cooper, Ward, Walker, and possibly a rookie backup QB.    Plus we lost our veteran Safety for the year.  No big deal - we can win the coin toss.  All kidding aside, ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!   

  • @flugel said:

    The best thing we can all do is put this stinker behind us and hope the Browns learned from it.  Our defense didn't look the same without Denzel Ward at the back end. We have to hope he can play - especially this week.

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today. I'd get my bet in now taking LA and giving away 4.5 points. If that MRI result is bad, that spread will double IMO.

    N Neo wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today.

    Is it the same shoulder he injured when he wrecked his car? Just wondering if it's something that is going to linger for the rest of his life?

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by

    Garrett is day to day, no structural damage. Good news in a sea of sadness 

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by Browns149

    @ghoolie-always-ghoolie said:

    I don't disagree, but here is what confuses me. If Flacco and several other accomplished vets are willing to step in and play now. 

    With all dure respect to the two alphabet kids, with some proven vets sitting out with no job, why do you not tie one of them up at the beginning of the season?

    Am I to understand that management really felt solid with these two kids as backups?

    Surely the inference here is that these vets wouldn't accept a back up role in week 1 preseason, but in week 12 they prefer a tempoary position as starter?

    What am I missing here?

    I am fine with management choosing 2 young kids and not a vet. However, abandoning these 2 choices so quickly to sign Flacco would seem to indicate that management fucked up.

    This is the kind of shit that seems to be S O P with the Browns.

    It is frustrating to see our team so close, but as always, not rising to the top because of shit that could've and should've been nailed down.

    It seems to me they erred in the assessment of the 2 younger guys. Plus Flacco is a statue and they wanted a more mobile guy to run Kev’s offense 

  • N Neo

    @texasag1969 said:

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today.

    Is it the same shoulder he injured when he wrecked his car? Just wondering if it's something that is going to linger for the rest of his life?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @neo said:

    Is it the same shoulder he injured when he wrecked his car? Just wondering if it's something that is going to linger for the rest of his life?

    yes

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today. I'd get my bet in now taking LA and giving away 4.5 points. If that MRI result is bad, that spread will double IMO.

    It's sounds like we'd only be missing Garrett, Chubb, Watson, Conklin, Cooper, Ward, Walker, and possibly a rookie backup QB.    Plus we lost our veteran Safety for the year.  No big deal - we can win the coin toss.  All kidding aside, ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!   

    N Neo wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    It's sounds like we'd only be missing Garrett, Chubb, Watson, Conklin, Cooper, Ward, Walker, and possibly a rookie backup QB.    Plus we lost our veteran Safety for the year.  No big deal - we can win the coin toss.  All kidding aside, ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!   

    Unfortunately, this is where we are as a society. There can be a piece of videographic evidence that tells the truth but people will bend and shape reality to their liking. I been arguing with people about whether the hit on DTR was clean or not, the video speaks for itself. You can see DTR's helmet clearly move as he is contacted by the defender and his chin strap moving up into his mouth from the defenders helmet, probably what caused his bloody lip. It's in the rule book "forcible contact to the head/neck area" But there are always people out there that just deny everything if it's something they don't like. I bet there's even people on here that will defend that hit. I just wanna know why year in and year out our opponents rough up our players like this and nothing ever gets done about it. I saw Fitzpatrick didn't play in our game against the Steelers, I bet everyone's knees were safe that day?

  • N Neo

    @texasag1969 said:

    And hope Garrett's shoulder is normal and not keeping him out for the season. MRI is today.

    Is it the same shoulder he injured when he wrecked his car? Just wondering if it's something that is going to linger for the rest of his life?

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @neo said:

    Is it the same shoulder he injured when he wrecked his car? Just wondering if it's something that is going to linger for the rest of his life?

    he be fine. we will kill the rams

  • N Neo

    @flugel said:

    It's sounds like we'd only be missing Garrett, Chubb, Watson, Conklin, Cooper, Ward, Walker, and possibly a rookie backup QB.    Plus we lost our veteran Safety for the year.  No big deal - we can win the coin toss.  All kidding aside, ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!   

    Unfortunately, this is where we are as a society. There can be a piece of videographic evidence that tells the truth but people will bend and shape reality to their liking. I been arguing with people about whether the hit on DTR was clean or not, the video speaks for itself. You can see DTR's helmet clearly move as he is contacted by the defender and his chin strap moving up into his mouth from the defenders helmet, probably what caused his bloody lip. It's in the rule book "forcible contact to the head/neck area" But there are always people out there that just deny everything if it's something they don't like. I bet there's even people on here that will defend that hit. I just wanna know why year in and year out our opponents rough up our players like this and nothing ever gets done about it. I saw Fitzpatrick didn't play in our game against the Steelers, I bet everyone's knees were safe that day?

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by

    @neo said:

    Unfortunately, this is where we are as a society. There can be a piece of videographic evidence that tells the truth but people will bend and shape reality to their liking. I been arguing with people about whether the hit on DTR was clean or not, the video speaks for itself. You can see DTR's helmet clearly move as he is contacted by the defender and his chin strap moving up into his mouth from the defenders helmet, probably what caused his bloody lip. It's in the rule book "forcible contact to the head/neck area" But there are always people out there that just deny everything if it's something they don't like. I bet there's even people on here that will defend that hit. I just wanna know why year in and year out our opponents rough up our players like this and nothing ever gets done about it. I saw Fitzpatrick didn't play in our game against the Steelers, I bet everyone's knees were safe that day?

    It’s an illegal hit, intentionally dirty I’m not sure though. You’re supposed to tackle low after all, no upright

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    Watching this awful Monday night game. The Bears have it 3rd and 2. The Vikings are playing press man coverage. The Bears call a WR screen. It loses 3 yards

    My question is, WHY would you even call that play, and why didn’t Fields change the play?